Home
MLB 14 The Show News Post

We just received a new video from Sony of MLB 14 The Show featuring the new and improved stadiums in the game. The video centers around the theme of "The Cathedrals Are Better."

We have also grabbed plenty of screen captures from the video. You can take a look at them in the screenshots section.

Some tidbits:
  • PS4 allows for individual blades of grass to be modeled allowing for more realistic striping of playing surfaces.
  • Up to 1,000 unique character models in the stands. Kids will be amongst the spectators.
  • Bat boys are included.
  • Better color depth and accuracy, especially for night games. Seriously watch the video it looks amazing.
Be sure to check out the video and let us know what you think of the new and improved graphics.

MLB 14 The Show screenshot gallery - Click to view MLB 14 The Show screenshot gallery - Click to view MLB 14 The Show screenshot gallery - Click to view MLB 14 The Show screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: MLB 14 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 12 - View All
MLB 14 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 241 Blzer @ 04/16/14 11:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motown
This is a pic of Pensacola, Fla, home of the Blue Wahoos (AA) Cincinnati Reds...WAIT! I've seen that sky before
That's also overlooking the sunset. No major league stadium (except Wrigley in some seasons) ever has the sun go down beyond anything that isn't the stadium backdrop. In fact, I think Target Field is the only MLB stadium whose sun goes down behind the first base side; the rest fall behind the third base side.

We face the other way when we see the sky, where the sun isn't. That's why it's not as orange on that side. You'll see blue on the other side.

It's not the orange that's the problem, anyway. It's the darkening from the orange. At some point, we gotta see the blue. Hell, look at that real Busch Stadium shot. That's what we're talking about there. Every sky (especially clear skies) really does seem to hit that blue point at some time of night.

# 242 JHedges2 @ 04/17/14 01:53 PM
I apologize if this has been covered, but will the crowds be "dynamic"? Like, all the screenshots I've see are with slam full ballparks. Is that how every game will be, or will some teams that don't draw as well be empty, or those teams that are out of playoff contention not be as full?

TIA!

# 243 ckarlic @ 04/17/14 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHedges2
I apologize if this has been covered, but will the crowds be "dynamic"? Like, all the screenshots I've see are with slam full ballparks. Is that how every game will be, or will some teams that don't draw as well be empty, or those teams that are out of playoff contention not be as full?

TIA!
Im not sure but I have the PS3 version of the game and I did a test season with the Rockies and after opening day, there were a lot of empty seats at the ballpark. I think the attendance is dynamic.

# 244 Grub @ 04/17/14 03:38 PM
I sure hope those Busch Stadium pics are incomplete

The crowd in the stands there are in total darkness.

"Oh, I was trying to get my drink -- is this yours?"
"I... don't know."
"This tastes like Sprite."
"I didn't get Sprite."
"Neither did I."
"That's mine."
"Oh, sorry, dude. Here you go. When are they gonna put some lights out here?"

# 245 PsychoBulk @ 04/17/14 04:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckarlic
Im not sure but I have the PS3 version of the game and I did a test season with the Rockies and after opening day, there were a lot of empty seats at the ballpark. I think the attendance is dynamic.
Quite.

Been dynamic for years.

# 246 enright6 @ 04/17/14 05:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCoolMan24
I should also add the Sox completely changed the look of their facade behind home plate. Although given that this is a new change this year, and given the fact that it's the White Sox, I am not expected it to be updated for this year's game. But the LED ribbon in CF is LOOOONG overdue.

Old facade...

New facade...
Us Cellular in my opinion has gotten the least amount of attention over the last generation. Gigantic foul poles, the back wall in left field by the concourse not having any texture or detail at all (just a plain grey wall) beyond the stadium its just a black void. anytime u want to watch a replay of a homerun it looks like there is an abyss beyond the stadium. None working led ribbon board above the batters eye in center. Alot of stuff thats been off for years...but obviously isnt important to worry about.

# 247 smiley3 @ 04/17/14 05:53 PM
Just a quick question if anyone has heard anything on this topic. Will the scores update on the LED BOARDS OR THE GREEN MONSTER BE ACCURATE INNING BY INNING SAY THE CARDS AND CUBS ARE PLAYING AND YOU KNOW THE BOTTOM TICKER SAYS 3-2 will that reflect on the green monster wall scores as well? Just a curious question

# 248 Ghoste @ 04/19/14 08:21 PM
Anyone know if the new 'The Rooftop' party deck in right-field of Coors Field made it into this year's game?

-ghoste

# 249 Russell_SCEA @ 04/19/14 08:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Quiet_Pro
What's funny is the guy who VO'ed the TS live blog last year was apparently a huge White Sox fan. You think they'd pay attention. LOL
Nick is a designer not a stadium artist. Not his area, or his discipline of expertise. He has nothing to do with the stadium art team.

# 250 ShowTyme15 @ 04/19/14 09:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoste
Anyone know if the new 'The Rooftop' party deck in right-field of Coors Field made it into this year's game?

-ghoste
We don't know yet. It will only be if they knew about the changes and had pictures to go off of well beforehand. Dodger stadium changes aren't in neither is Ballpark Village in St. Louis (might have been too late for that anyways). So chances of the Rockies changes are slim, but we might be surprised in the end.

# 251 MattyIce @ 04/29/14 11:31 PM
In this video it looks like they finally fixed the dirt at Busch Stadium. Although in some of the gameplay videos the dirt looks more like sand than the reddish clay looking dirt they actually have. I always thought turner field had the perfect kind of dirt for Busch stadium even in the ps3 game. I hope the lighting in those gameplay videos are as outdated as everyone says they are.

# 252 Madden's Jowels @ 04/30/14 03:36 AM
^^^^ those pics perfectly illustrate my biggest graphical gripe, the washed out colors of the dirt and grass. Look at that rich reddish brown dirt and emerald green grass. Then look at the pic of The Show... yellowish green grass and light tan dirt.

# 253 merchant1874 @ 04/30/14 06:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madden's Jowels
^^^^ those pics perfectly illustrate my biggest graphical gripe, the washed out colors of the dirt and grass. Look at that rich reddish brown dirt and emerald green grass. Then look at the pic of The Show... yellowish green grass and light tan dirt.

Agree the grass looks so dull an washed out.

Having said that though, it looks better when close up in some shots.

# 254 SVCbearcat10 @ 04/30/14 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by merchant1874
Agree the grass looks so dull an washed out.

Having said that though, it looks better when close up in some shots.
The dirt will be tough to get accurate because they hose it down to start the game (producing the darker color) then lightens to what the screenshots show.

The dark grass was from opening day. In the middle of the summer's heat, grass doesn't look as green or lively. The background on my desktop is PNC Park and the grass is washed out looking because it's the middle of summer, not the start of spring.

Photographer's jobs are to make the best looking shots possible. That is why photos people post, in my opinion, look much better than the game's screenshots. You can find pictures to make the stadiums in the game to look as good or as bad as you want compared to real life.

# 255 MattyIce @ 04/30/14 04:09 PM
I agree that photo is obviously enhanced to a degree. But I go to a good deal of games in st louis and they have both the grass and dirt way off as far as shades go.The grass is not as big of a problem to me as the dirt

# 256 ryanmc564 @ 04/30/14 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyIce
In this video it looks like they finally fixed the dirt at Busch Stadium. Although in some of the gameplay videos the dirt looks more like sand than the reddish clay looking dirt they actually have. I always thought turner field had the perfect kind of dirt for Busch stadium even in the ps3 game. I hope the lighting in those gameplay videos are as outdated as everyone says they are.
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that busch stadium pic from mlb 13 the show?

# 257 ryanmc564 @ 04/30/14 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Quiet_Pro
it is indeed.
well as it is in 13 it already looked good although it is missing a building by the arch, so the ps4 version is going to look even better and closer to the actual stadium. holy smokes can't wait until next Tuesday.

# 258 bozeman @ 05/17/14 03:31 AM
I'm sorry if this has been brought up but I just noticed it tonight and haven't seen it anywhere online but...

In the pregame shot of Busch Stadium from the Arch, its the old Busch Stadium. The mulit-use one with the arches along the top that they demolished years ago.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.