Home
MLB 14 The Show News Post

Operation Sports recently got the chance to play MLB 14 The Show on PlayStation 4. There is a lot to love about the experience, including the absolutely beautiful visuals which accompany the game. Don't get too excited about huge gameplay changes, Sony has opted to carefully move up to next-gen with the same great experience we've all grown accustomed to.

Look for an even more in-depth text version of this report later today! Click here if the embedded video doesn't show up for you.

Game: MLB 14 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 12 - View All
MLB 14 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 61 seanjeezy @ 04/08/14 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jistic
As are those thinking there will be an "overhaul" in next years game.
Gameplay doesn't need an overhaul, but there were still major improvement's in year 2 and I expect the same next year. Physics, AI and animations are things that need constant tweaking, its the nature of video games.

Biggest thing for me is the player models, wishing for some soft body dynamics a la The Order next year. I want to see the jerseys "hang" properly, catcher's gear and shin guards fit snugly without clipping, stuff like that.

# 62 bwiggy33 @ 04/08/14 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by indcolts18288
That's cause it is. No denying it's a beautiful game but a little disappointed with the character models and animations, or lack there of. Still not gonna stop me from taking the day off work and going to the midnight sale at gamestop.
How can you be disappointed with the animations if you haven't played the game yet? All we have to go off of is probably a combined 2 or 3 minutes of gameplay (if that) in all the videos released. That seems a bit quick to judge that area of the game. They've stated there's at least 350 new animations for the PS4 version. I'd say wait to judge that area of the game until you actually spend time playing it, or see actual game play footage from the perspective of if you were playing the game.

# 63 Madden's Jowels @ 04/08/14 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluclws22
This is baseball people it's the same game year in and year out. I love this game and it will play the same just like I played the same game in college for 4 years. See ball, hit ball, catch ball, throw ball. Then of course you have some sick plays you make from time to time. What do y'all want? super jumps to jump way higher to rob home runs, fire on the bat to launch the ball farther, rocket shoes to go faster on gap to gap hits? Hah all these ideas sound stupid! So keep this game how it's supposed to be. An actual baseball game where the same s#*+ happens on a daily basis lol!! This game is amazing just the way it is

Not that I have any major complaints about gameplay, but this is the stupidest strawman argument I've ever seen. Nobody is asking for any of that idiotic stuff you just mentioned.

"This is baseball people, it's the same game year in and year out. See ball, hit ball, catch ball, throw ball."

Alright here you go. Here's your baseball game. It has all the elements you just described, so it should be suitable to your needs.

People who want gameplay improvements aren't asking for the game of baseball to be re-invented, they just want what's already there to keep getting better and better. Ball physics, animations, AI logic, etc. And like I said, I don't have any complaints about the gameplay. That doesn't mean it's perfect, or that if somebody DOES have a legit complaint about something gameplay related that it should be downplayed because, after all, as long as you can see ball, hit ball, catch ball, and throw ball, the gameplay doesn't need anything else.

# 64 ryanmc564 @ 04/08/14 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiggy33
How can you be disappointed with the animations if you haven't played the game yet? All we have to go off of is probably a combined 2 or 3 minutes of gameplay (if that) in all the videos released. That seems a bit quick to judge that area of the game. They've stated there's at least 350 new animations for the PS4 version. I'd say wait to judge that area of the game until you actually spend time playing it, or see actual game play footage from the perspective of if you were playing the game.

Totally agree with you there. no matter how many videos I watch of a video game nothing compares to seeing and playing it on your T.V. I was on the fence about getting Tomb Raider for the ps4 and I watched several comparison videos of it for all systems and didn't really see too much difference in it and thought it looked okay. So I decided to rent it and I'll tell you I was blown away on how much better it looked, playing it on my T.V. opposed to watching videos on youtube.

# 65 munky1307 @ 04/08/14 03:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmc564
After the first game you play of the show, you will be left wondering why you wasted so much time playing the 2k series on the xbox. Its really that much better. Before my wife and I moved in together she had a ps2 at her place and since I didn't want to bring my 360 over there I decided to pick up a cheap used copy of the show 09, and I couldn't believe on how much better the show was on the ps2 than the 2k series on the 360. After that I bought a ps3 just for the show.

Yeah I used to always be jealous of The Show videos I saw. I will say though, 2k had the commentary down pat. Might have been the best on any sports game I played. Small price to pay though when switching to The Show.

These vids could easily pass as real. Anyone ever see night time lighting done so well??? I'm floored.

# 66 SmashMan @ 04/08/14 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Quiet_Pro
Why would they rebuild from scratch just to use PS3 as reference material????
That's obviously not a question that I can answer.

I'm just speculating this for at least some of the stadiums from some of the brief glimpses of Wrigley Field yesterday. I'm reserving full judgment and feedback until the final game releases, but the outfield bleacher area looked the same as it did on PS3; which is already structurally outdated by several years. I've hoped these changes could be reflected on PS4.

I don't know how far out of date the Philadelphia screens are (in the post I quoted), but if they're similarly outdated, either these stadiums haven't been built from scratch or SCEA based them off of their PS3 stadium models when rebuilding.

# 67 thaSLAB @ 04/08/14 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnixen
Looks that way and the liberty bell home run animation is once again wrong too.

O well maybe they will finally get these right in MLB 15 The Show.

Game still looks breathtaking on the PS4!
It has been noted.

However, I do think slowing it down to real-life speed wouldn't be very noticeable due to the short camera cut to it. I agree that the 'sparkly' stars effect and flashing CBP sign need to be added though.

# 68 ThrowBack @ 04/08/14 04:44 PM
The game looks great but can we get a new catcher chest protector for MLB 15? They have had this same design since MLB 08.

# 69 Madden's Jowels @ 04/08/14 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingWeazel
But all the things you listed are in fact improved on eveyr year so whats the issue?

The issue is that people can't point out areas that still need improvement without other people posting idiotic responses like "heeeey cmon man, it's baseball, it's the same thing every year! See ball, hit ball, catch ball.." etc etc

Yes they improve gameplay, animations, AI every year. So why can't somebody point out aspects of those features that still need improvement?

Also if you read my post you'll notice I said I don't have any specific gameplay complaints right now. I haven't even played this year's game yet, waiting for PS4. My post was more of a general statement on the way that constructive criticism is shunned around these forums.

# 70 ThrowBack @ 04/08/14 05:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluclws22
This is baseball people it's the same game year in and year out. I love this game and it will play the same just like I played the same game in college for 4 years. See ball, hit ball, catch ball, throw ball. Then of course you have some sick plays you make from time to time. What do y'all want? super jumps to jump way higher to rob home runs, fire on the bat to launch the ball farther, rocket shoes to go faster on gap to gap hits? Hah all these ideas sound stupid! So keep this game how it's supposed to be. An actual baseball game where the same s#*+ happens on a daily basis lol!! This game is amazing just the way it is
Check out this gameplay wishlist thread:

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...-gameplay.html

Plenty of great ideas on how to improve The Show's gameplay.

# 71 PSNation @ 04/08/14 05:22 PM
aaaaaand the thread begins to fly off the tracks...

# 72 PsychoBulk @ 04/08/14 05:24 PM
Few stills from that...

My beloved CoPa!

And i mean, just look at this, look at it!

Night time baseball how it really should be done.

Someone used the word stunning above and thats exactly the right word.

Absolutely stunning.

# 73 Chaos81 @ 04/08/14 05:26 PM
That night shot of the Twins guy getting ready to hit about 82 seconds in.... Wonwzers.

# 74 bwiggy33 @ 04/08/14 05:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoBulk
Few stills from that...

My beloved CoPa!

And i mean, just look at this, look at it!

Night time baseball how it really should be done.

Someone used the word stunning above and thats exactly the right word.

Absolutely stunning.
Your avatar and all of these pictures are just stunning. The avatar looks like a real life shot. I cannot wait to play at Target Field. From that video yesterday it looks like they finally got the LED sign correct on HR's. It'd be even more awesome if they also shot off fireworks from the top of the scoreboard to go along with it. I also noticed in one of the videos that the RF Out of Town scoreboard is finally back to visible. I'm just overall really excited Target Field is pretty much spot on. It will also be sweet seeing the surrounding buildings.

# 75 Archie56 @ 04/08/14 05:36 PM
I tell ya what, even though I'm loving all these videos and info that's coming out, it's torture!! This game is looking more and more amazing as the days go by. I try not to look at these videos but I can't help it! I'm addicted, and the only cure is to play the game......God help me.

# 76 PsychoBulk @ 04/08/14 05:38 PM
Stop it now!

In game or real PNC here...?

You decide...not much to choose between em!

# 77 ShowTyme15 @ 04/08/14 05:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoBulk
Stop it now!

In game or real PNC here...?

You decide...not much to choose between em!

Someone will complain about the dirt.

# 78 Aeonix01 @ 04/08/14 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowTyme15
Someone will complain about the dirt.

Would seem such a minor gripe, but I understand where you're coming from.

I think my complaints would come into play IF the scoreboards show the wrong information, or mix up info between the teams. That's it for the visual side outside of inaccuracies representing the stadiums/parks after having to rebuild them from scratch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 79 RidinDwnKingsley @ 04/08/14 05:52 PM
I bet the OSFM are gonna look real nice on PS4......haha.... Cant wait looks great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 80 BenGerman @ 04/08/14 05:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingWeazel
Can someone explain to me how they expect it to play different? It's baseball, the show already plays an amazing, authentic, realsitic game of ball, please explain?
For me, I'm hoping for more fluid motion in general. Gloves really clasping down on the ball, a much wider variety of swings, and less awkward player movement. The game has sort of stopped feeling "alive" for me because it's been the same sort of stuff for the last few years. I still love the game, and will likely love '14, but I'm hoping it's a change of pace. If not this year, than next.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.