Home
The Golf Club News Post

The PC version of The Golf Club is available now on steam for $29.99, during their early access promotion. On April 24th, the game will be $34.99. Still no word on official release dates for Xbox One or PS4.

There are plenty of impressions of the beta here, thanks to bluengold34_OS, but play a few rounds for yourself and post your impressions.

Read the full press release below.

Highly Realistic Golf Simulation Game - The Golf Club - Tees off Today on Steam Early Access

HB Studios Simulation, Complete with Course Creator and Social Features, Now Available on Steam Early Access for PC

Canadian video game developer, HB Studios, today announced its next generation golf simulation, The Golf Club, is now available on Steam Early Access for PC. The Golf Club features pre-designed courses as well as a Course Creator that allows players to build brand new courses and share them online within seconds. The Golf Club Early Access is available for $29.99, discounted from $34.99 for 7 days. Scheduled to launch on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One soon, The Golf Club will redefine the genre across both console and PC platforms. For more information, including a host of instructional videos, please visit the official website here.

“With a heritage deeply rooted in building some of the most fun, intuitive and critically successful sport franchises on the EA Sports label, HB Studios are now excited to roll out the first phase of The Golf Club,” said Jeremy Wellard, President of HB Studios. “With integrated social features, a massive online multiplayer mode and a Course Creator that will provide players with endless challenges, avid golfers and gamers can now access The Golf Club on Steam Early Access.”

The Golf Club is designed for 1 - 4 players locally, (from single player to 4-player sofa play), or in an asynchronous online multiplayer mode that allows players to compete against “live balls” and “ghost balls” from other players. Early Access of The Golf Club comes complete with three modes: stroke play, match play and 4-ball, and no loading times between holes.

The Course Creator allows players to build an unlimited number of golf courses which can then be shared and played with friends online. New courses can be generated in a matter of seconds by selecting a theme (Rural, Alpine or Autumn), terrain features, number of holes and difficulty. Players can then enjoy a full suite of editing tools from changing the time of day to placing hazards and objects to create the ultimate golf challenge. Players can also discover new courses built by friends and the community by filtering through rank and difficulty, as well as interact with new The Golf Club members through the Message Center.

Additional social features enable players to challenge friends and attempt to beat high scores and best their own highest recorded rounds. Add to this a myriad of statistic tracking tools, notifications, challenges and much more, and you have a golf club truly worth joining. The Golf Club was developed with the Unity games development platform.

Game: The Golf ClubReader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 7 - View All
The Golf Club Videos
Member Comments
# 61 Triggerfish @ 04/19/14 06:05 PM
thanks Onlooker i will look again tonight..i only saw 1 the default. Maybe it's hidden in menus that i did not see. I purchased it yesterday.

# 62 OnlookerDelay @ 04/19/14 06:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triggerfish
thanks Onlooker i will look again tonight..i only saw 1 the default. Maybe it's hidden in menus that i did not see. I purchased it yesterday.
There are all sorts of filter options on the course selection screen. Use the LB/RB Right and Left Trigger buttons to sort through them. I at first thought there was only 6 official courses available to play, but it was because the filter defaulted to "official courses". There's tons of "public" courses, once you set that filter.

# 63 TheBleedingRed21 @ 04/19/14 07:56 PM
Here is more of my course I am working on (taking forever! LOL)

Hole #3

The first par 5 comes quick and gives an easier shot at a good score then the first two holes. Play to the left on the fairway to avoid the tree between the bunkers, otherwise a fade will be required on the 2nd shot. Green is not reachable in two so don't over pursue and you can easily make par or better.

Designer's Tip: Aiming for the front of the green is smart play here as the green slopes down right before halfway.

Hole #4

This hole features one of the toughest greens on the whole course. Keep the ball right to avoid the sloping fairway into the rough, and possible water hazard. Again, you want to hit the green on the front but if you leave it short, you will playing in the sand. The green here slopes heavily left to right, play on the right side of the flag stick to avoid rolling off the green into the water.

Designer's Tip: A fade onto the green to the right side will give the spin to make a safe play to avoid a difficult putt or worse, rolling off.

# 64 OnlookerDelay @ 04/20/14 12:07 AM
Man I wish I could run this game at medium detail graphics. I love the look of the pond you've got on the 4th hole, BleedingRed, and the way you've got that dried/dead grass area along the steep bank on the backside of the pond. The water really takes a hit in low detail though, in many cases you have a little trouble deciding that it's water.

It's weird, I installed the March 17th Catalyst beta drivers today for my Radeon HD 7500. I actually saw an average ~5% performance increase. I'm now seeing an average of ~32 FPS at Autumn Ridge, 1st tee, where I had been seeing 30/31 (low detail). However, even at the lowest res I can run (1152 x 648), I still can't run medium graphics detail. The frame rate chugs along at 19-20 fps with those settings. Heck, I can get 27 - 29fps now at 1920 x 1080p in low detail. It's just amazing how much of a performance hit this game creates going from low to medium. But I guess that's the price you have to pay if you want water that looks like "water" instead of purple lava from Rigel 12!?

I'm still anxious to play your course though. It doesn't have that cookie cutter look that I've seen in so many of them.

# 65 ubernoob @ 04/20/14 04:17 AM
Finally had a decent round (I'm pretty terrible at this game.) I had quite a few shots I felt were lucky. Bad first shot on 8 left me with a tough choice, but I feel I made the right one (which I believe Macho had trouble with the water, where I would have been had the sand not been in the way.)

That's the first time I've ever been anywhere near being at par, let alone under, on a course (normally I'm 1-2 shots over for every hole.)

Poor Mach.

# 66 TheBleedingRed21 @ 04/20/14 08:37 AM
LOL Macho. Need to start playing your ghost ball! I am around 14-20 over all the time.

# 67 TheBleedingRed21 @ 04/20/14 09:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlookerDelay
Man I wish I could run this game at medium detail graphics. I love the look of the pond you've got on the 4th hole, BleedingRed, and the way you've got that dried/dead grass area along the steep bank on the backside of the pond. The water really takes a hit in low detail though, in many cases you have a little trouble deciding that it's water.

It's weird, I installed the March 17th Catalyst beta drivers today for my Radeon HD 7500. I actually saw an average ~5% performance increase. I'm now seeing an average of ~32 FPS at Autumn Ridge, 1st tee, where I had been seeing 30/31 (low detail). However, even at the lowest res I can run (1152 x 648), I still can't run medium graphics detail. The frame rate chugs along at 19-20 fps with those settings. Heck, I can get 27 - 29fps now at 1920 x 1080p in low detail. It's just amazing how much of a performance hit this game creates going from low to medium. But I guess that's the price you have to pay if you want water that looks like "water" instead of purple lava from Rigel 12!?

I'm still anxious to play your course though. It doesn't have that cookie cutter look that I've seen in so many of them.
Thanks man. The front nine is finished in terms of layout. Going to knock out the back nine this week and then add the small details and make sure you can still score good with smart shots.

Luckily I am fortunate enough to run 1920x1080 on high and haven't had any problems. The game will get better optimized and will be able to run a lot better I'm sure.

# 68 MachoMyers @ 04/20/14 01:23 PM
Here I am getting publicly named (and shamed!). I know I know, I really need to work on my game! I can't wait until full tournaments get going. OS bragging rights at stake!

# 69 TheBleedingRed21 @ 04/20/14 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachoMyers
Here I am getting publicly named (and shamed!). I know I know, I really need to work on my game! I can't wait until full tournaments get going. OS bragging rights at stake!
Scores like that.. I don't think me or you will be bragging on anything! LOL

# 70 ubernoob @ 04/20/14 03:57 PM
So... uh... *cough* don't play this course if you want to think you're decent at all. If you shoot a nice round, congrats. You kicked the **** out of me.

I got absolutely punished by every single tiny mistake, and the putting here was no joke. It really showed me how terrible I am at the putting in this game.

Protip: Not for the faint of heart.
Spoiler

# 71 Skyboxer @ 04/20/14 05:27 PM
Starting my first course design this evening. I have a plan and am exited to see how it goes.

# 72 TheBleedingRed21 @ 04/20/14 08:10 PM
Had some setbacks with my laptop and it won't let me bring my desktop registry over so I started a new course and hope to have Rural Hills and this new one done by the weekend!

The new one is Old Lakes Resort and it features tons of water and invites all skill levels whereas Rural hills is a little harder.

Will post some pictures as I update.

# 73 TheBleedingRed21 @ 04/20/14 09:55 PM
Old Lakes Resort

Course Description: A beautiful 18-hole course resides to the right of a luxury resort. The course features multiple lakes spread throughout that run through fairways and near greens. It is designed with every golfer in mind and features slow greens but offers a challenge when going for the pin. Lower skill golfers can shoot decent with safe shots and easy putts, while better golfers can take risks and go for it but may end up in some water.

Hole #1

The course starts off with a long dogleg par 4. Avoid the side bunkers and your second shot is a mid iron away. The elevation does drop from the fairway to the green so be careful to not over shoot and land in the water. The green is rather soft and flat and going for pin is not out of the question.

Designer's Tip: The rough between the green and fairway is raised slightly, this means that aiming for the very front of the green could cause you to be short.

# 74 SinisterAlex @ 04/21/14 12:42 AM
I caved and bought the game. Looking forward to the course creator.

# 75 MachoMyers @ 04/21/14 01:02 AM
RIVALRY GAME!

I died a death on the last hole. Getting better though.

# 76 SinisterAlex @ 04/21/14 01:03 AM
Edit: never mind got my PS4 controller to work.

# 77 Pappy Knuckles @ 04/21/14 01:19 AM
It's nice to see that you guys aren't shooting ridiculously low scores yet. Hopefully that remains the case when we get it on consoles.

# 78 SinisterAlex @ 04/21/14 01:27 AM
Course creator is confusing as hell. Can you not go into each hole and edit them from there? Or is the only way you can edit holes is through that aerial view? And do you have to generate a course layout or can you create a course with a blank canvas?

# 79 Cod @ 04/21/14 06:53 AM

# 80 TheBleedingRed21 @ 04/21/14 07:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinisterAlex
Course creator is confusing as hell. Can you not go into each hole and edit them from there? Or is the only way you can edit holes is through that aerial view? And do you have to generate a course layout or can you create a course with a blank canvas?
Not sure what you mean. After it Is generated, go to edit holes. Then you use the sticks to move, r2 and l2 to zoom. It's very easy to use.

And you can do it from scratch but I've found te generator to start then personal editing is really neat.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.