Home
MLB 14 The Show News Post

MLB 14 The Show patch 1.11 is available now, weighing in at 400 MB. The official announcement is here, or you can read it below.

Online Changes:
  • Community Challenges: Walks earned during the first situation will reset after the first pitch during the second situation.
  • Community Challenges: Gameplay ceases when user enters the bullpen after a flyout (but before the play ends).
  • Online: Community Challenges: The pitcher is switched back to the default pitcher when user edits a situation in which the pitcher was changed.
  • Community Challenges: Set scores are displayed incorrectly on the pause menu scoreboard.
  • Online: Diamond Dynasty: Fixed an issue that caused certain pages of DD league leaders to be blank. Pitchers were working, but position players were not.
  • Diamond Dynasty: Quitting or conceding incorrectly displayed a Win under Game History.
  • Online Gameplay: Fixed out/safe calls for tag outs.
  • Online Gameplay: Fixed hang when hitting select pitch and practice swing at the same time.
  • Online Gameplay: Fixed auto-pitch delays not getting reset upon pitcher input.
  • Online Gameplay: Fixed User hits a ground ball towards the SS, Title asserts/crashes for the offensive player as runners come into their respective bases.
  • Online Gameplay: Diving after a ball in the infield was cause the game to hang very rarely.
  • Online Gameplay: Pitcher freez when batter Hitting Interface is set to Pure Analog or Zone Plus Analog and the batter steals early with a baserunner.
  • Online Gameplay: Issue where the runner would sometimes run past a bag instead of sliding is fixed.
  • Online Gameplay: First baseman warping back to bag on a bunt down first base line.
  • Online Gameplay: Accessing the Quick menu after substituting a player breaks the users on-screen-display.
  • Online Gameplay: Both users in a Head to Head match would lose Pause menu functionality if a pitcher is put in to game too quickly after a pitcher is ejected from game.
  • Online Gameplay: After a pitcher is scheduled to be put in has come in, the offensive player would receive a pitch before seeing the presentation for them coming into the game.
  • Online Gameplay: Game Log displays multiple text regarding pitchers in bullpen after each pitch during Online Exhibition.
  • Online Gameplay: The Box Score Pitching stats are not tracking correctly. Player stats syncs were resetting pitcher stats.
  • Universal Profile: Fixed issue where hits on last 3 appearances in the universal profile would show the home teams hits for both teams.
  • Online Franchise: User accepting a franchise challenge would freeze if other user backs out.
  • Online: Accessing positioning or substitution options from the quick menu caused a stagnant pause timer to remain on screen during gameplay.
  • Sportscast Live: The player name displayed as the pitcher was incorrect.
  • Vaults: Title would hang on an error message when the User attempts to upload a Logo, Slider, or Roster with a name that has less than 5 characters when on a description selector.
  • Online: Exhibition and Game Room games are affecting Rating correctly in all situations now.
  • Online: Fix for player search options being allowed in offseason. If they are used, the next season could hang.
Offline Changes:
  • Back to Back trophy incorrectly unlocked after hitting a home run then calling for time with the next batter.
  • Fix for base coach playing incorrect version of fair ball call. Base coach was trying to do too many things at once.
  • Substitution screen: BRA text (Base Running Ability) has been replaced with STL (Steal ability).
  • With Playerlock on, defensive substitutions did not function. You could go through the operation of attempting to sub teammates, but nothing would happen, the situation would be simmed through, and gameplay would continue.
  • Incorrect SCORER where design calls for PITCH_COUNT totals in LAD jumbotron.
  • Miller Park - Milwaukee Brewers Franchise/Season: During a game at Miller Park, player info stat normally displayed on the Jumbtron during their initial at-bat could appear incorrect or not noteworthy. Fixed some grammar and added some more conditions to prevent un-interestinginformation from being displayed.
  • RTTS - Player Performance Evaluator for 'pitch type' bar graphic is inaccurate while attempting to play 1 full year.
  • RTTS: "Reset" did not function after changing page tabs in the Training screen resulting in loss of points with no increase in attribute.
  • Player Search contract remaining min/max text was too long.
  • Runner that reaches first on throwing error would sometimes get counted as a run.
  • Allow fielding errors in fielding training modes.
  • Include pre-pitch misses and phantom catches to conditions for 3Bman to set up for cut off to home cut off infield grass.
  • Catcher did not animate correctly when catching for an Intentional Walk.
  • Leading off or stepping back will cancel a queued up steal attempt.
  • RTTS/Lock-On: Title will soft lock when User calls for a pick off when RTTS 2B/SS is not near the base they are calling the pick off to.
  • Quick count balance and tuning- Tracking/accounting fix for balls/strikes and total pitch count, changes to the AI’s ball/strike frequency for smarter strategy, balance changes related to the power swing fix.
  • Manager mode quick counts - Too many strikes were being thrown.
  • Fixed issues with pitchers that pitch from the stretch with no runners on base.
  • Fixed issue causing ball-boy to use a full run instead of a jog when running to dead ball catches.
  • Fixed an issue causing a runner on 3rd to try to go home on a bunt when the catcher was fielding the ball right next to the line and could easily tag him out.
  • Added head tilt constraint to improve the head angle when a pitcher looks back at a runner on 2nd base.
  • Average runners have better steal success than before. This is a small change, but there are a lot of close plays getting them tagged out. The effect is pronounced when playing against certain pitchers, and for these pitchers the runners were being capped from getting their best jump (compared to last year).
  • In Manage Only Mode, opposing teams would never sac bunt.
  • Fenway Park (Boston Red Sox): Night and Day capacity numbers were switched.
  • Season/Franchise: When toggling through teams on Free Agents list, the background color does not change to match selected team's colors.
  • RTTS Showcase: An out of place Right Stick icon appeared in the mode header after accessing the Universal Profile. We didn't handle the Showcase play mode.

Game: MLB 14 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 12 - View All
MLB 14 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 141 KingV2k3 @ 04/26/14 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabarnes19
I'm curious to see how the strategies are with OSFM. Unfortunately you cannot edit salaries.

The old way of raising a players overall in the editor and then doing the free agent swap no longer works. When you start a franchise the contracts are reflected based off the players current overall and potential.

Even with the old way budgets would adjust proportionately to the higher salary, so teams wold always have the same budget room available.
Ah, didn't know that salaries can't be edited...

I'm sure if there was a "workaround", you guys would have figured it out by now!

Worth a shot...

Thanks for the detailed reply!

# 142 bcruise @ 04/26/14 03:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavicchi
One solution to this budget problem is turning Budgets Off
Yeah...I suppose that would be the nuclear option. If they don't work as they should (meaning they have little or no impact on the CPU's roster strategy) that might be the best thing for non 30 team control as it stands right now.

# 143 tabarnes19_SDS @ 04/26/14 03:54 PM
I don't think budgets off, for this type of problem, will impact it either way. Budgets off just allows all teams to play as if they had an unlimited budget, the teams don't have an issue with not having money, so it won't impact their strategy at all.

That was a solution a few years back when teams were going OVER budget.

# 144 Cavicchi @ 04/26/14 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
Yeah...I suppose that would be the nuclear option. If they don't work as they should (meaning they have little or no impact on the CPU's roster strategy) that might be the best thing for non 30 team control as it stands right now.
I use 30-team control and budgets off, and I'm okay with that. After all, it is fair to both sides.

Let the best team win!

# 145 tarheelguy4736 @ 04/26/14 04:46 PM
Does anybody else have the opposing pitcher fielding way too many plays during a game?

It seems like I hit a line drive or a hard grounder up the middle and it seems it's about 75‰ of the time the pitcher catches it. I rarely see a pitcher catch a line drive or a hard grounder in real games.

# 146 mmorg @ 04/26/14 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelguy4736
Does anybody else have the opposing pitcher fielding way too many plays during a game?

It seems like I hit a line drive or a hard grounder up the middle and it seems it's about 75‰ of the time the pitcher catches it. I rarely see a pitcher catch a line drive or a hard grounder in real games.
That's because in real life pitchers usually react to balls back at them by getting out of the way of the ball. In the game they don't have the reaction. Definitely something that needs to be amended going forward.

# 147 Cavicchi @ 04/26/14 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorg
That's because in real life pitchers usually react to balls back at them by getting out of the way of the ball. In the game they don't have the reaction. Definitely something that needs to be amended going forward.
As I recall this was a problem in 13 as well, and just CPU pitchers. My pitchers were not so lucky, or maybe they were by avoiding the ball.

# 148 CaseIH @ 04/26/14 06:26 PM
Quote:

I think it has more to do with teams that are in rebuild mode to be honest. They just dump for the sake of dumping. Here is the CC trade. Now the worst part is they received just a RP in return. I can't imagine that HOU was too deep in a playoff push in May in the 2014 season.

Rebuild mode needs to happen later in the season. I tried swapping the entire Yankee roster with the Braves roster then start a franchise. The Yankees started that franchise as normal and the Braves as rebuild. So I think the system is taking the age into consideration and not necessarily the talent when determining to rebuild or not. Then I believe it looks at overall after age. So a team can be trapped in rebuild for sometime. They dump there talent then have a weak overall. The team then doesn't want to spend in the offseason either.

I can tell you now. Using SCEA rosters all have started Min., NYM, NYY and Phi as rebuild. Even with a record 20 games over .500 the best I can get the Yankees to move is normal. I have yet to see them change to playoff push.

PLus the Yankess are a rebuild mode team to begin with, so thats definitely a issue. Some teams are just never in rebuild mode IRL like the Yankees. Then you have a team like the Cubs, Astros, Marlins who are always in rebuild mode Oddly enough I have heard on here that in franchise mode the Yankees start out in rebuild mode, yet the Cubs dont, thats quite a head scratcher. This shouldnt be that difficult to fix, but I didnt think a few years ago that the FA bug would be hard to get right either, yet they didnt get it right until last year finally.

# 149 seanjeezy @ 04/26/14 07:07 PM
I know that the regression problem from last year was addressed, but is progression really any different from last year? I am still seeing players in their late 20's/early 30's progress as long as their overall is lower than their potential. I mean, I guess its all well and good if its in stuff like /9, vision/discipline, or fielding (baseball skills basically)... but aging curves are an actual thing and the majority of players should be peaking in their mid-20's. Ideally there should be curves for each rating (since certain skills deteriorate faster than others) and body type should also be taken into consideration, but I'll save those points for the wishlist.

# 150 tabarnes19_SDS @ 04/26/14 07:28 PM
I see players potential lower if they don't hit that potential by a certain age.

If they progress it's not much.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

# 151 BrianU @ 04/26/14 07:49 PM
I am not picking on SCEA but it seems every sports game has a very shallow franchise experience. The Show is slightly better since they implement so many of the intricate rules of the CBA and the drafts and service time, which are all great, but it all falls flat when you really explore the underpinnings like how the CPU teams use their budgets, waiver moves.

It is frustrating because I am sure next year or coming soon they will add big ticket features like expansion, create a stadium, concession prices, pretty trival things for me, when what I really wish for is the foundation to be solid. I don't see the point in adding these things or even improving the gameplay when the foundation of franchise is basically lifeless. It is a very shallow experience if you look into it. It is the best we have in sports gaming but that isn't saying much. I don't expect them to change anything in another patch, this is the area that annually gets overlooked.

The gameplay itself is a dream, franchise just has lots to be desired. I understand they need to sell copies and all. Just wish they would take 1 year to devote a solid 10-20% of the resources to put a stronger foundation to franchise and leave it at that then get back to adding the back of the box features. I am sure if tbarnes and a few others gave them a 10 point plan on what would improve the game, we would have a franchise mode worthy of The Shows excellence. So many little things that add up and become glaring once you are aware. Most people do not look into franchise as deep as us we are the minority but once you are aware of all the faults it is hard to get immersed into it. With all of the work the community does on OSFM and Sounds of the Show and the rest of it we deserve a franchise mode that isn't built on mud.

EDIT: I will say they took a big step forward in keeping the league progression 5-10 years down the read more reasonable as well as in sim stats. Again there is still much work to do I am afraid it will not be improved because it isn't something that casual gamers who buy the game would ever care about or even realize.

# 152 DarthRambo @ 04/26/14 08:24 PM
Sooo let's say the budget issue isn't fixed. Can we get a guide on how to do contracts for each team? I know it would be tedious but really wouldn't mind spending a good 8-10 hours doing offseason stuff if it means a better experience for the next season in my franchise.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

# 153 Knight165 @ 04/26/14 08:28 PM
I was talking to tabarnes about this very thing.

I just have not had a minute to try anything in regards to this out...

But I'm going to have a go at trying out some things....big contracts for aging players.....wrapping up young studs to multi-year bigger contracts etc.

I'm sure tabarnes is trying things as well...and he's good at it.
I'd like to see what he comes up with..

But I'd REALLY like to see SCEA tighten it up on their end.

M.K.
Knight165

# 154 BrianU @ 04/26/14 08:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
I was talking to tabarnes about this very thing.

I just have not had a minute to try anything in regards to this out...

But I'm going to have a go at trying out some things....big contracts for aging players.....wrapping up young studs to multi-year bigger contracts etc.

I'm sure tabarnes is trying things as well...and he's good at it.
I'd like to see what he comes up with..

But I'd REALLY like to see SCEA tighten it up on their end.

M.K.
Knight165
Maybe once we find out how to fix some of the issues someone could put together a franchise file. A guide would be great with steps to resolve some of the common AI franchise issues!

# 155 seanjeezy @ 04/27/14 01:28 AM
Quote:
I see players potential lower if they don't hit that potential by a certain age.

If they progress it's not much.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
So its probably a legacy issue then, players already in the game (older ones) don't necessarily adhere to the same rules as generated or even younger players.

I think players on the normal path (hit x potential by age x) stay on that path, but players who are older than the expected age but still have a gap between potential and overall continue to grow, albeit slightly. The largest jump I've seen from an older player is 4 OVR, which seems like a fairly significant jump. Two cases were pitchers with velocity increases at age 27, but that's because velocity growth is unfortunately tied to command and movement... Like I said in my earlier post I don't mind continued growth in baseball skill, but at that age physical ability should be on the verge of decline or already declining.

I'm really craving for a more intricate player development system, it's far too basic for my tastes.

# 156 Threeebs @ 04/27/14 02:00 AM
This isn't post-patch related, I noticed it pre-patch too but the strikeout totals are low (I think I read someone else voice their concern over this?). You guys think it's a balancing issue or a K/9 ratings issue? 'Cause I know the ceiling on the rates were raised so some tweaking might need to be made on K/9 algorithms to get this back to normal...

# 157 seanjeezy @ 04/27/14 03:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threeebs
This isn't post-patch related, I noticed it pre-patch too but the strikeout totals are low (I think I read someone else voice their concern over this?). You guys think it's a balancing issue or a K/9 ratings issue? 'Cause I know the ceiling on the rates were raised so some tweaking might need to be made on K/9 algorithms to get this back to normal...
Yeah that was me, I think I said that the top end guys looked fine but the mid and low tier were on the low side. I've been talking with Nomo about various ratings related things but we're still in the research phase.

# 158 KingV2k3 @ 04/27/14 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianU
I'm all bout the discussion of franchise mode and hope the devs read this but I got something else to ask.

My understanding was with auto baserunning on it would be like last year where you manually control your base runners and the CPU doesn't make them auto steal or auto lead off. While I am able to trigger steals and lead offs it seems they also do it on their own.

Russell mentioned how you don't need to take that extra lead to do good at stealing and then getting picked off isn't as a big a concern, the problem is my players are taking that extra lead on their own and getting picked off without me touching anything. Has anyone else seen this? I actually prefer it this way except the fact that my guys get picked off once per game..... I have to monitor my base runners to make sure they don't take that extra lead instead of focusing on the pitcher.

Either pickoffs need to be toned down or the CPU controlled baserunners on both the user team and the CPU team need to not take as many extra leads.

Yeah, looks like this issue didn't get as much attention as required this patch, so:

Does it help to drop Steal Frequency below default (4, for example) to lessen the aggressiveness that leads to bigger leadoffs and having "less than" base stealers take off?

At while we're add it, drop Pickoffs to 4 and bump Steal Ability up to 6?

Not ideal, but MAY minimize, etc.

# 159 allgames @ 04/27/14 12:04 PM
Each game since the patch is worse. More warping, freezing, and overall high weirdness is making time spent playing online a waste. FIX THIS!!
http://youtu.be/pMUL5VJ2qEU

Ridiculous. I finally get a clutch hit but the warping doesn't put the base runner icon in the right place so you get thrown out. This is pathetic after a major patch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 160 jkra0512 @ 04/27/14 12:37 PM
I had a few stuttering issues last night (the first time I've played since the patch dropped). Luckily, it didn't affect the game too much, but the game would hang for a second and then pick back up after the pitch hit the mitt (all four instances were for balls....luckily)

I didn't have those issues until the patch, which makes me a little leery that this might be an ongoing issue going forward. I'll be really sad if this continues, but I suppose it's something I can live with.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.