Home
MLB 14 The Show News Post

As many of you already know, we have a couple of lucky OSers with the PlayStation 4 version of MLB 14 The Show in hand. Thanks to Inhocmark we now have some gameplay footage.

This video features the Los Angeles Dodgers vs. Los Angeles Angels.

Please subscribe to his YouTube page here.

Game: MLB 14 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 12 - View All
MLB 14 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 101 Grub @ 05/01/14 11:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
I mentioned this a long time ago (when we saw a video of it), and it seems to have not changed: The crowd is not getting the same lighting as the walls are getting on the green monster. The fans looked like the lights are turned off on them in comparison.
That is weird, too. Maybe it's baked lighting of some kind, and those particular fans weren't... included? Like maybe there's a flag in the code/scripting that's been turned on and it's keeping them unlit? Who knows. I can't say I know quite how it works.

Maybe it'll get fixed along with Busch.

# 102 PsychoBulk @ 05/02/14 11:07 AM
Citi Field at night, looking fine.

It looks to be completely isolated to Busch.

# 103 Mikebender13 @ 05/02/14 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoBulk
Citi Field at night, looking fine.

It looks to be completely isolated to Busch.

any "fly in" type shots for citi field? Also, any signs in the stands?

# 104 PsychoBulk @ 05/02/14 11:53 AM
No, they are cut and yes, see the photographic thread, i put a sign in Citi up there.

# 105 Mikebender13 @ 05/02/14 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoBulk
No, they are cut and yes, see the photographic thread, i put a sign in Citi up there.
I didn't mean a fly in but a city shot or something similar to kansas city or pittsburgh

# 106 caseyj622 @ 05/02/14 06:48 PM
Game is looking great. Will be a day 1 purchase for me just like every year. 2 questions though. Is there an option to turn off that arcadish looking ball trail when pujols hit that homerun? And lastly, what is with the little black specks of dirt all around home plate?

# 107 ShowTyme15 @ 05/02/14 06:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyj622
Game is looking great. Will be a day 1 purchase for me just like every year. 2 questions though. Is there an option to turn off that arcadish looking ball trail when pujols hit that homerun? And lastly, what is with the little black specks of dirt all around home plate?
Yes to the first question. 2nd question that is dirt particles when a player kicks up dirt to dig in around the batters box.

# 108 Factzzz @ 05/02/14 09:06 PM
I think they should start getting rid of some of the older pitching deliveries, like Greinke's.

Some of the new ones look amazing, Jered Weaver and Justin Masterson come to mind, but the old ones like Greinke, Buerhle, even as recent as Strasburg and King Felix, i think should start to be replaced.

# 109 angrysponge @ 05/03/14 12:56 PM
I picked up the game last night fellas.. At times the visuals are stunning.. It all depends on the lighting and that's bases on time of game down to the inning.. Every park looks amazing at night in the late innings.. Stunning in eight inning.. Also seems day games look amazing first few innings.. Its all lighting..

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

# 110 Grub @ 05/03/14 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ10
Based on just this video I am not impressed. It looks like the same game we have had for 5 years with sharper graphics. No new gloves, same messed up motions stances and movements. Definitely not something Ill pay full price for. Either have to get it used later or find it cheap on ebay.
Or you could wait for next year. There's a huge jump between year one and year two on a new console.

# 111 videogameprojr @ 05/03/14 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cezar24
On the bright side, if the game goes to extra innings the fans can pull out their lighters for that concert effect.

No pun intended

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :-)

# 112 Grub @ 05/03/14 04:01 PM
Quote:
They have had an entire year minimum to be working on this game, probably more than that. Since the game debuted on ps3 there have always been multiple "wait till next year" things that should have been in the game for years now. Im tired of waiting. There was absolutely not a huge jump between the first ps3 game and the second ps3 game.
Uh, yeah, there was. PS3's first year looked like a PS2 game.

# 113 Blzer @ 05/03/14 05:21 PM
Quote:
My mistake, I didnt play 08 I thought 09 was the first ps3 game, lots of improvements never made from 09 to 13 though. LOTS, and still not made in the ps4 version.
07 was the first PS3 game...

I'll agree though that since MLB 2005, there are still little things here and there that, while improved, still aren't fully fleshed out like I had hoped. This game has made tremendous strides while on the PS3 cycle though (even if I thought '10 and '12 were down years).

# 114 Grub @ 05/03/14 06:06 PM
Comparison for ya, showing the differences between transition years.

MLB 2004 on the PS1

MLB 2004 on the PS2 (look how nasty and chunky this is! definitely still PS1-based)

MLB 2005 on the PS2 (pew pew! next gen!)

Next up, PS2-PS3 transition...

MLB 07 on the PS2

MLB 07 on the PS3 (there is a difference, but it's not a big step up)

MLB 08 on the PS3 (wabam! next gen!)

and finally...

MLB 14 on the PS3

MLB 14 on the PS4 (looking better, but you can still see its ps3 heritage)

MLB 15 on the PS4

So you see, things are looking up.

# 115 RLebron12 @ 05/03/14 06:16 PM
Love the breakdown Grub! Nice to see all the changes...I'm happy with what I see from MLB the Show 14 so far...and I know The Show 15 is going to be even better!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 116 eaw913 @ 05/04/14 12:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwo4Life75
This how I sum up the ps4 mob the show visuals,two words more polished! That's not necessarily a bad thing. I'm just not blown away with the visuals! From what I've seen the stadiums don't look as rich and more detailed as Ramone and the Sony devs claim! I don't know if it's just me,but does the grass still have that mat look to it? I can't really see much blades of grass lol. I still can't wait until Tuesday!
To give it a fair shot, wait until you see it on TV. It won't look the same as it does on the computer.

# 117 Blzer @ 05/04/14 03:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwo4Life75
I realize that. I'm looking at the video with the recommended HD resolution. I'm just not getting my hopes that this game is going to look amazing visually,and that's ok really. I'm just hoping that it's not going to look almost like the ps3 version. I'm just hoping that it's going to be a little better then ps3 version a little! I shelled out fifty dollars for the ps3 version,that still a awesome and is still awesome visually still even at the end of the last gen cycle! It don't know how it's going to look any different on my TV posted to viewing on a computer. The bottom line is I've put down a deposit for the ps4 version,and I don't want to feel like I wasted my money on the ps4 version when all that has be done and looks like a more polished version visually of the ps3 mlb the show! Despite all of that,it doesn't mean that I still want to buy it and see for myself! I'm still very curious,yet still skeptical! You feel me? See we're I'm coming from?
I'm not trying to defend this game, but this video really is compressed quite a bit. YouTube just doesn't justify what this game looks like, PS3 or PS4, because the framerate doesn't show up at 60 FPS.

Even still, MLB 14: The Show isn't much of a system seller on PS4 if you have the PS3 version. Maybe MLB 15 will or maybe MLB 16 will, but I think people who are skeptical about this game's visuals have every right to be. Not saying they aren't tidy, but people might have had expectations that are yet to appear on this generation. They will, though. The vision needs to be there first.

# 118 seanjeezy @ 05/04/14 05:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grub
So you see, things are looking up.
Agreed, year 2 has always been a huge leap over year 1.

Honestly I wasn't expecting much graphically out of any year 1 PS4 sports game, but then there was 2K14... In retrospect though, the leap seems huge because 2K looks so bad on last-gen, the same can't be said for The Show obviously. Still, when I saw the initial reveal for MLB I was blown away because the heads really are visually impressive, Kemp and Headley looked amazing. And then in Feb/March the early previews started to roll in, and people in the know started to hype up the graphics to insane levels. Remember Steve's "HOLY S." thread? Or how about these?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSNation
I've seen the game run, so don't base an opinion on screenshots, seriously. The amount of detail on the players on PS4 is staggering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

How do I say this.............................................. ........................

Our lead graphics programmer just cracked the code on our PS4 lighting engine about an hour ago. When I show you again it's going to look better. I might even do a comparison of the two.

Can't wait to show you guys this man now I have to re-take all the screen shots I took already for Thursday.
And when we finally saw the screens, some people were like "... ... ... That's it?" and in response others would say "It's probably an old build" or "The game looks much better in motion" etc.

Well here we are at release and the tune has changed somewhat. The game looks good and it's obviously the best looking The Show to date, but after reading the impressions and watching the streams, I get the sense that people were hoping for a little bit larger leap.

So moral of the story: Hype is dangerous! It is better to come in with minimal expectations and be pleasantly surprised than with high expectations only to be met with disappointment.

Now what were we talking about again?

# 119 Equinox831 @ 08/14/14 03:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhslancers
You think NBA 2k13 and 14 look bad on the PS3/360? I don't but anyway...I have not made the leap to next gen as of yet and see no game out there worth upgrading for quite yet. As far as The Show goes the game peaked for me so far as gameplay/graphics/movement with their efforts with 12. Haven't played 14 yet still recovering from 13.

I am sure that by the time they release 16 they will have figured out the new console. It seems as if their first effort on the 4 hasn't been met with 100% satisfaction not that I expected it would.
Good lord, what a bump.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.