Home
NHL 15 News Post

The Globe and Mail have posted an interview with Sean Ramjagsingh, Lead Producer of NHL 15, giving us a few more details about the game.

Quote:
You don’t get repetition. With limited animation, I have an animation for hitting you straight on and I have one for hitting you at a 45-degree angle, but if you’re somewhere in between, I need to make a choice between animations. With physics, you can change the degree of the impact by one degree and you’re going to get a different reaction every single time depending on all the variables. It really adds unlimited variety.

...Now, when the puck is shot and hits the goalie, if it hits on the pads or chest protector or glove, you get a different reaction depending on speed and variables. We’re still in the development process but we’re already seeing things that we’ve never seen happen before. We’re seeing goalies try new desperation saves because the puck hits them and starts trickling across the goal line and they need to react to that.

...Now you’re going to have a puck that will hit a goalie under the arm and then squeak through between the cloth and the equipment that we have modelled there. Before, the equipment and the body were all just one entity. By separating out the layers, now we get this behaviour where the puck reacts with the cloth and the body and/or the equipment underneath it.

Game: NHL 15Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 16 - View All
NHL 15 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 TjJunior @ 05/12/14 04:15 AM
How about better A.I. for the PS3/XBOX 360 players, been waiting for YEARS for a NHL game from EA with competent A.I. players and competitors. Scale down on a few of those inhuman moments when guys can make no look passes around d-men to the tape of their teammates in the slot. I'm not gonna pay 450-550 dollars for another game console.

# 22 drog1602 @ 05/12/14 07:10 AM
Will real puck physics mean I can finally interecpt those passes that go through my stick when mr. Tap happy at the other teams blueline keeps asking for the puck? How about when they ask for it from the goalie and the bubble prevents me from getting it? My bet on this is, no.

# 23 Semipro91 @ 05/12/14 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by enice128
its so frustrating NYR fan to see it say & play in Ny arena...not MSG! cannot wait for the custom arenas similar to games like madden, mlb, nba, etc! and stoked for the new commentary team w doc & eddie 0.but i wished they added pierre since he's part of that 3 man team. between the the benches hopefully! and w the ps4 upgrades being way more than the ps3 version I'm solo glad i upgraded.....IF this all holds up & is true!!!
MSG doesn't show up in NBA either. They wont give permission to use their name.

# 24 Majingir @ 05/12/14 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semipro91
MSG doesn't show up in NBA either. They wont give permission to use their name.
I find it strange how sports like NHL,NBA weren't able to use the name, yet when UFC was made by THQ, they had MSG in the game despite the fact that UFC isn't even allowed to have an event at MSG. Though that probably reflects THQs lack of wise money spending(spending lots on something like that instead of actually improving their game) than it does NHL,NBA not doing enough to get rights to MSG in their game.

# 25 bwiggy33 @ 05/12/14 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TjJunior
How about better A.I. for the PS3/XBOX 360 players, been waiting for YEARS for a NHL game from EA with competent A.I. players and competitors. Scale down on a few of those inhuman moments when guys can make no look passes around d-men to the tape of their teammates in the slot. I'm not gonna pay 450-550 dollars for another game console.
Sorry to tell you, that's just not going to happen. We have been waiting for that for years and if it didn't happen when their focus was on one gen, then it definitely won't happen when they have two gens to focus on. With the 360 and PS3 expect a roster update pretty much every year. Once NHL 07 hit 360, PS2 and XBOX didn't get any attention so I wouldn't expect anything to change this gen. Also with all of the info that has come out so far it doesn't seem like any focus was put on 360/PS3 at all. Your only choice is to gut it out with 360/PS3 or spend the money to buy a next gen console.

# 26 MizzouRah @ 05/12/14 02:36 PM
Thanks for the info.. I can't wait to see some game play.

# 27 2kguy @ 05/12/14 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_350z
With hockey and baseball being my two favorite sports by a long shot, I have an embarrassment of luxuries while playing MLB:TS. It's just amazing from top to bottom(I don't play online). While I have gotten the same pre-release hype from the last 6 years from the NHL team. Only to have a game that does very little to mimic an actual game of hockey. Seriously, at this point I don't care about any of their bullet points, or whatever this years catch word is. Stop talking, and just make a hockey game that plays great(and mimics a real NHL game in some semblance), looks realistic, and sounds good. It shouldn't be that hard by this point. The same team has worked on the game for like 8 years.
Yes - agree about MLB. I'm new to the MLB series and loving it. Every time I play I keep thinking how awesome it would be if EA can do for hockey what the MLB series does for baseball. It does such a great job capturing all the nuances of the game, players, crowds, stadiums and of course the gameplay.

# 28 bwiggy33 @ 05/12/14 11:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSGuy321
The best AI I have ever seen in a hockey game is NHL 2004 on PC with AI mods.
What's funny is I actually visited the mod site for that game today just because I ran across it in my favorites. I hadn't looked at that site in forever so I kind of just wanted to see what was up. Man oh man have they done even more stuff over at that forum since I stopped playing the game a couple years ago. It's unbelievable how that game continues to survive, but man is it good.

# 29 Majingir @ 05/13/14 12:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSGuy321
The best AI I have ever seen in a hockey game is NHL 2004 on PC with AI mods.
NHL on PC with mods was the best.

This is from 6 YEARS AGO and the boards/scorebug look way better than NHL 14. Too bad non PC video games today can't be modded like that.

# 30 iverson3 @ 05/13/14 01:19 AM
NHL 14 is a great game. Yeah some flaws and annoyance but man just because one **** goal happens once in a while you have to label it as a terrible game and never pick it up again. Like some said, a good set of sliders may do the job but just playing online is good enough and if you actually have a hockey sense and play the game correctly its a great replica of real life. Its a video game its never going to be perfect. Just like all games we talk about on here, there is always threads for each game every year full of flaws on game modes, presentation, etc. This new gen NHL is going to be nuts and will have flaws but so does every game out there.

# 31 Majingir @ 05/13/14 01:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iverson3
but just playing online is good enough
That's the problem though. A game shouldn't only be fun online. So many more people play games offline than online, but because online equals more money,companies like EA Sports seem to focus so much more on just making game more fun online and not bothering so much about offline. Some things have been taken out of the game because it wasn't fun for online users(stick on stick contact I believe was one of them,and lack of penalties I'm guessing is probably due to that too)

MLB The Show and NBA 2K do great job at offline modes and online stuff are an extra bonus. EA needs to learn from both. While people aren't 100% satisfied with those games, MLB The Show and NBA 2K are the 2 most liked(In terms of positive reviews/comments on it from not only gaming websites,but people who play the game too) sports series today for obvious reasons. NHL right now is at the bottom of the big 5(MLB,NBA,FIFA,Madden,NHL)

# 32 Grand-Al @ 05/13/14 03:36 AM
NHL14 is a really good game, sure it could be better but the fact is this is after the show the best sport game (mlb,nhl,nfl,nba) available. I played co-op be a gm with my bro through 3 Seasons every game, and all. We had amazing moments, like 3 Player brawls in offline game (i know which is a bug) great games, great challenge and always failed 2 times versus the predators in the playoffs. So i can say i played the game easily over 400 hours with all the games i made. Its pretty good. I dont know why you always crying here, be lucky your not a madden player ... they try it every year to make the game suck. Sure the bouncing pucks are not good but can be changed with slidering. Sure there are less cpu penaltys this can be changed with slidering, sure the goalie makes miracle saves, be lucky otherwise you would get results like 15-7, wow very realistic. Sometimes you have to do things like fast miracle saves. im lucky it is this way build, better then having high scoring games. And with slidering you can make it really rare. And also the new Enforcer Engine ad the beaten up faces are just awesome ! It is really funny and important for some game realism. And yeah im prooud once i beat Byfuglien. What i really wanna say is it is just still a game that has been programmed and must be tweaked, its not the real world, so for all haters, why you cry and buy the game every year, what about taking your own skates go out and play, then you dont have to be mad about bouncing pucks, miracle saves etc.

Get me right everyone has his own opinion and own impression how a game should be and look like but im pretty happy with NHL14, by far one of the most realistic and best authentic to play videogame in sports (compared to fifa, madden, you feel like you controlling a robot) Im really thrilled for NHL15 and hope they take all thos amazing things with and release a damn good PS4 Game. May im the first on this board but thanks EA for having such a great time while i always try to win the Cup =)

# 33 ven0m43 @ 05/13/14 04:13 AM
How difficult is it for them to make a pc version, even if its just a console port, so we can mod it. 2k has been doing it for years with nba and mlb. With a mod I can have the correct uniforms instead of the an older version because they were too lazy to update it/correct it or want to charge for it via dlc. I can improve the atmosphere/names/arena/ai/etc. If only we had a mod friendly or open source pc version.

If someone actually built a ground up PC version instead of porting a console version (~decade old PC), they would be able to do everything they talk about, granted they actual know how to do it. The PC is the more powerful machine with tons of possibilities. All these console games are built on pcs to begin with.

The reason for why they dont is that these companies just want to make a quick buck, so they sell to the larger console market at higher prices. They release the same game and reintroduce features that were taken out from previous years. They say they've made changes when they only changed the appearance. When they cant get something to work right they can just blame it on the hardware limitations .

# 34 Grand-Al @ 05/13/14 04:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ven0m43
How difficult is it for them to make a pc version, even if its just a console port, so we can mod it. 2k has been doing it for years with nba and mlb. With a mod I can have the correct uniforms instead of the an older version because they were too lazy to update it/correct it or want to charge for it via dlc. I can improve the atmosphere/names/arena/ai/etc. If only we had a mod friendly or open source pc version.

If someone actually built a ground up PC version instead of porting a console version (~decade old PC), they would be able to do everything they talk about, granted they actual know how to do it. The PC is the more powerful machine with tons of possibilities. All these console games are built on pcs to begin with.

The reason for why they dont is that these companies just want to make a quick buck, so they sell to the larger console market at higher prices. They release the same game and reintroduce features that were taken out from previous years. They say they've made changes when they only changed the appearance. When they cant get something to work right they can just blame it on the hardware limitations .
EA stopped the PC versions due bad sellings and higher development cost then for consoles, also the crack market destroyed it for years. this is the official statement that ea stopped making the games for the pc. FIFA is still on PC but it is so far more behind the console version. (6Years last time for actual Next Gen port) Capitalism leads to those situations we are in, look at thousand of free to pay to win games ... people really do that... its like we are the pilot and they just steer there where we would like to land.

Sure they stop doig the games for pc because of costs. they wold need a bigger staff to work on around 3 or 4 Platforms. So and EA really doesnt wanna have open source things, that would just bring them in troubles due licensings with the leagues and brands ingame. So its the year 2014 its not 2000 anymore, sadly. Its make it ready sell an Alpha and if people like it dont patch it. Just costing alot of money. But they also have high costs due their licenses and stuff, i think it is really complex and complicated.

but all in all i also prefeer my PC! They could do so much more with it. im always laughing about the PS4 Guys, wow look at this Graphics. Lol i show them my NASCAR Racing 2003 with all mods and ultra graphics and compare it tp the new NASCARS .. but my game is 11 years old.... PC Rockz ! =)

and by this way i just have one big wish for NHL15:

- BOXSCORE EXPORT, would be awesome if you could export your boxscore after all sort of games (online,offline,beagm,versus ...) would be a big plus for franchise, dynastys, and league sites around the web.

# 35 iverson3 @ 05/13/14 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majingir
That's the problem though. A game shouldn't only be fun online. So many more people play games offline than online, but because online equals more money,companies like EA Sports seem to focus so much more on just making game more fun online and not bothering so much about offline. Some things have been taken out of the game because it wasn't fun for online users(stick on stick contact I believe was one of them,and lack of penalties I'm guessing is probably due to that too)

MLB The Show and NBA 2K do great job at offline modes and online stuff are an extra bonus. EA needs to learn from both. While people aren't 100% satisfied with those games, MLB The Show and NBA 2K are the 2 most liked(In terms of positive reviews/comments on it from not only gaming websites,but people who play the game too) sports series today for obvious reasons. NHL right now is at the bottom of the big 5(MLB,NBA,FIFA,Madden,NHL)
Nah man I wouldn't say bottom. "(MLB,NBA,FIFA,Madden,NHL)"- NHL is more fun to play and definitely takes less time to have a hell of a game compared to those listed except FIFA the games are obviously shorter. Yeah those games are great and definitely have more to offer than NHL but still who wants to play 9 innings twice in a row than two battles in NHL. You tell me.

# 36 bwiggy33 @ 05/13/14 06:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iverson3
Nah man I wouldn't say bottom. "(MLB,NBA,FIFA,Madden,NHL)"- NHL is more fun to play and definitely takes less time to have a hell of a game compared to those listed except FIFA the games are obviously shorter. Yeah those games are great and definitely have more to offer than NHL but still who wants to play 9 innings twice in a row than two battles in NHL. You tell me.
I can tell you this, go to any section of this site and I'd be willing to bet that there are way more people who would rather play one game of The Show over two games of NHL. I know I'm one of them. The Show sells systems. You have tons of people on this site who bought PS4's just because The Show is only available on that console.

You are the exact gamer that this game is developed for so obviously you will praise the game. There is no need to demean the people who don't like the game. From reading your posts you seem to play online a lot and obviously have different expectations for a hockey game, so honestly there's no reason to discredit people who don't enjoy the game. Online can be fun, but many people don't play online. The people who want a casual/co-op/online game (like yourself) of hockey are pretty much satisfied, but the people who want a realistic offline experience are not. That's great you enjoy the game but don't say that all people do is bash the game because that's not what it is. We are letting out our thoughts because we are sick and tired of having this game exactly the same every year, and mainly cater to the casual and online hockey experience. I've said it many times, EA has nailed down the casual to semi-realistic experience. In fact I enjoy this game playing with friends, but I get no joy out of this game through a solo offline experience. It's time for EA to reach every one of it's customers. FWIW I would love to be able to play a realistic 20 minute period game of hockey.

# 37 PensDynasty87 @ 05/13/14 10:56 PM
Agreed, no need to say more.

# 38 Trevelyan @ 05/13/14 11:08 PM
I've always said the NHL series is awesome for 6v6 online play, but pretty much awful for 1v1, whether its against the cpu or another player. Personally, I'm alright with that because I like playing online, but I can certainly understand how a lot of people aren't. I don't understand why the game can't be designed in such a way where both are good.

# 39 13whitebread @ 05/14/14 03:21 PM
I guess I am in the minority but after trading my xbox one in for a ps4 I did also get the show and granted I have not played many games but I do not get how this game is so good. I think IMO it is alright but I was expecting a better experience.

# 40 iverson3 @ 05/14/14 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiggy33
I can tell you this, go to any section of this site and I'd be willing to bet that there are way more people who would rather play one game of The Show over two games of NHL. I know I'm one of them. The Show sells systems. You have tons of people on this site who bought PS4's just because The Show is only available on that console.

You are the exact gamer that this game is developed for so obviously you will praise the game. There is no need to demean the people who don't like the game. From reading your posts you seem to play online a lot and obviously have different expectations for a hockey game, so honestly there's no reason to discredit people who don't enjoy the game. Online can be fun, but many people don't play online. The people who want a casual/co-op/online game (like yourself) of hockey are pretty much satisfied, but the people who want a realistic offline experience are not. That's great you enjoy the game but don't say that all people do is bash the game because that's not what it is. We are letting out our thoughts because we are sick and tired of having this game exactly the same every year, and mainly cater to the casual and online hockey experience. I've said it many times, EA has nailed down the casual to semi-realistic experience. In fact I enjoy this game playing with friends, but I get no joy out of this game through a solo offline experience. It's time for EA to reach every one of it's customers. FWIW I would love to be able to play a realistic 20 minute period game of hockey.
That is true I mean I love hockey I was being pretty bias haha you said everything right there I agree dude. Amen.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.