Home
NHL 15 News Post

SportsBusinessDaily's Alex Silverman, gives a few more details on how EA Sports and NHL 15 will capture the look and feel of hockey on TV with the new NBC Sports broadcast package.

All of it sounds great, let's hope they can deliver. Read the article and let us know what you think.

Game: NHL 15Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 16 - View All
NHL 15 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 The Visualizer @ 05/16/14 08:36 PM
Good read

With the level of access EA got to NBC's broadcast operation they have no excuses now if they don't exceed everyone's expectations on the presentation front.

# 2 ERA @ 05/16/14 09:12 PM
I'm really looking forward to this. I've always been a presentation geek and NBA Live is the only game that can fulfill my needs in that department. If anyone could execute this properly, it's EA.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk now Free

# 3 canucksss @ 05/16/14 10:38 PM
Presentation is only a part of a successful sport video game. Gameplay is another important part.... if EA would deliver another mediocre gameplay, where all players and team play alike...only difference is the uniform, the whole thing will collapse.

# 4 jerk @ 05/16/14 11:33 PM
I'm officially hyped. I skipped this years version since there was no next gen game. CAN'T WAIT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 5 knick9mm @ 05/17/14 12:38 AM
Every sports games needs to get TV packages. The show should get MLB Network. Nba 2k14 should have TNT. Madden should have CBS(they kind of do) and ESPN

# 6 Fiddy @ 05/17/14 09:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebeatsuncagain
No the whole thing wouldn't collapse at all, it would actually be the building blocks for a game to make the conversion to Gen 4.

People routinely fail to see how this is going to be a year yo year process.
year to year eh?

the game has been the same since 09.. so what happened in 10, 11, 12, 13, and 14?

the truth hurts and these guys have not delivered since 09.

i root for this dev team, every year. i come off a bit harsh a lot of the time, but its bc i want to see the game get better year after year.

i mean honestly, offline wise, this game got worse from 13 to 14 IMO.

# 7 Fiddy @ 05/17/14 09:53 AM
Quote:
People on this sit fail to see that these games have to develop on a year to year basis.

Just because you have a new console to work on doesn't mean you can just snap your fingers and have a brand new game.
not the case. nobody thats been posting here about this game for years fails to see that.

# 8 13whitebread @ 05/17/14 11:40 AM
Far from perfect Fiddy and Canucksss and believe me I feel your frustration especially because penalties are one area that is the same and does not get fixed year after year. I did get my offline sliders this year to play competivly for the first time in years. I think hopefully the experience could possibly get more attention and I am betting it is going to fixed slightly this year but more than likey it won't be untill 2016 for a total complete package

# 9 Flyersfan75 @ 05/17/14 02:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13whitebread
Far from perfect Fiddy and Canucksss and believe me I feel your frustration especially because penalties are one area that is the same and does not get fixed year after year. I did get my offline sliders this year to play competivly for the first time in years. I think hopefully the experience could possibly get more attention and I am betting it is going to fixed slightly this year but more than likely it won't be until 2016 for a total complete package
Could you post your sliders in the slider section so I can see it.

# 10 gator3guy @ 05/17/14 05:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr
Yep exactly the same. That skating engine was in 09, the changes to hitting and puck physics were also in 09. Oh wait.

Fact of the matter is there's only so much a dev team can do when being limited to 512 megs of ram.
So two things?

The "physics" if you want to call them that are garbage anyway. It looks like a roller derby out there. Bodies flying everywhere. How often do you see someone get absolutely blown up in an NHL game? Once maybe twice? I actually thought the physics were better in NHL 13 but the kiddies couldn't take a runs from the opposite blue line in EASHL so they made the change this year.

I'm not even going to talk about the puck physics.

Don't get me wrong I play this game more than any other, but they never took it to the next level. I'm not one to get caught up in presentation, because if the game isn't fun I'm not going to play it, but you wonder what they were doing with dev time over the last few years other than building their money maker- HUT.

# 11 XXstormmXX @ 05/17/14 08:03 PM
I don't know if this was already posted but here's a big press release on EA's site. It probably has stuff we've already seen but may have new things. http://investor.ea.com/releasedetail...leaseID=845226

# 12 JMD @ 05/17/14 10:02 PM
I've never been an EA hockey guy, always played 2k. Still playing 2k10 now. This sounds promising though, I'll give it a look. Hope there will be a demo.

# 13 gator3guy @ 05/18/14 12:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr
Aside from the floaty puck on some of the dumps, I don't think over all the puck physics in 14 are terrible. I've certainly played hockey titles over the years with worse physics. NHL2k10 for example is pretty much bumpercar hockey yet the same people who slag on EA year in year out, rave about how great 2k10 is.

I'm not sure how the online game is as I don't play online, but with the right sliders I don't see guys flying everywhere, it's actually not bad at all, is it perfectly realistic? No, but it's a video game, if you're expecting a perfect representation of hockey from EA or Take Two, or Ubisoft or any publisher for that matter, you're going to end up disappointed in the end.

I will say one thing though that needs to be addressed is neutral zone pressure, that is the one area of the game that has sorely needed some addressing for a while now. And now that they have so much more ram to play with, they have zero excuse to not address it. Be it via sliders or making more sliders to further customize how the game plays, or AI tweaks. Either way the neutral zone issue needs to be addressed in some fashion.
That's the thing you play offline. I play strictly online because I can't take the AI anymore. I can't adjust sliders. I'm at the mercy of EA and their 3 turner sets a year. If they want to have roller derby, fine, have a setting for it and give us the option to play on a sim setting or casual.

# 14 Semipro91 @ 05/19/14 01:19 PM
Thank GOD Pierre McGuire isn't going to be doing anything. I couldn't handle playing and hearing about where Steve Ott played his juniors and who his coach was.

# 15 Schmackity @ 05/19/14 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semipro91
Thank GOD Pierre McGuire isn't going to be doing anything. I couldn't handle playing and hearing about where Steve Ott played his juniors and who his coach was.
Couldn't agree more. I'm sure Eddie will compensate though with a lot of uses for the phrase 'RIGHT.....THERE!' on replays.

# 16 Money99 @ 05/20/14 08:26 AM
I hope we finally see out of town highlights.

# 17 Pezell04x @ 05/20/14 09:25 AM
Quote:
No the whole thing wouldn't collapse at all, it would actually be the building blocks for a game to make the conversion to Gen 4.

People routinely fail to see how this is going to be a year yo year process.
I'm going to have to disagree with you. When it comes to sports games, the NHL franchise is the one I only truly care about. It's the one I've been playing since NHLPA 93 on my Sega Genesis.

Fiddy said it best - the series has been the same since NHL 09. While there may have been "innovations", the gameplay for every game has been the same. Teams play the same. Players play the same. Sidney Crosby plays like Shawn Thornton who plays like Corey Perry who plays like John Scott out of the box.

There's been a litany of problems never addressed in terms of gameplay that include but aren't limited to: AI penalties, puck physics (especially the 14 super dump in the corner).

The gameplay and presentation need a new face lift. I'm sure this subsection would be more inclined to give the NHL devs a pass if their gameplay was up to the level of The Show, but it's not. It's not even close.

# 18 Dolphins88 @ 05/20/14 10:12 AM
Yes the gameplay definitely needs addressed. I felt 2k3 nailed how each team and player should play differently and it was more organic. The presentation needed this but let's hope EA can reproduce organic gameplay and where playing as Sidney Crosby, Malkin , lucic, Kane or Toews actually matter in different skills set and ratings matter. Each team needs to play a different style and you should have to adjust and line match.

# 19 Money99 @ 05/20/14 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphins88
Yes the gameplay definitely needs addressed. I felt 2k3 nailed how each team and player should play differently and it was more organic. The presentation needed this but let's hope EA can reproduce organic gameplay and where playing as Sidney Crosby, Malkin , lucic, Kane or Toews actually matter in different skills set and ratings matter. Each team needs to play a different style and you should have to adjust and line match.
2K3 still had the best AI I've ever seen in a game. It also was able to capture different player styles better than any game I've played.

I echo yours and Fiddy's thoughts, Pezell04x.
While I've enjoyed NHL14, the entire gameplay engine and AI needs a complete overhaul.
Seeing a big difference in player and team styles is absolutely necessary. Otherwise, next-gen NHL games will eventually feel the same as last-gen.
I'm very excited for NHL15 news and I hope it's the game we've been waiting for.
But if we continue to see 4th liners doing the same things as 1st liners, offline gamers like me will lose interest quickly - again.

# 20 crankybaker @ 05/20/14 06:47 PM
Good read as we are before e3 trying to grab as much info as possible.

I am very excited to hear updated commentry and support for this during the life cycle of the game to keep some things fresh, I like the idea of 5 months down the road I will hear something i havnt heard before. Look forward to hearing about some game features at e3 now.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.