Home
EA Sports UFC News Post

Check out the latest EA Sports UFC video featuring a full first round of action in the Octagon with Lightweight champ Anthony Pettis and Featherweight champ Jose Aldo.

What are your initial thoughts after seeing the first real gameplay action from the game?

Game: EA Sports UFCReader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 7 - View All
EA Sports UFC Videos
Member Comments
# 41 fballturkey @ 05/20/14 04:48 PM
Maybe choppy isn't the right word. I guess what bothers me a bit (and again, I'm day one buying so it isn't nearly a deal breaker) is that since most of the motions seem so natural and like they have weight behind them, the few that don't seem really out of place. Kind of an uncanny valley situation. The two big ones that stood out were the escape to standing from side control, and the missed cartwheel kick.

I'll look at those two moments again when I get home and see if I'm being overly critical.

# 42 LingeringRegime @ 05/20/14 04:50 PM
A little disappointed in the commentary to be honest. Very minimal, and not specific enough. UFC 3 would go into detail about the fighters past fights, that was totally left out.

Gameplay seemed good though. I especially like the way Aldo was feinting.

# 43 Phobia @ 05/20/14 04:55 PM
HELL YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm now super excited for some online multiplayer! EA MMA 2.0 is fine by me

# 44 godylla @ 05/20/14 04:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fballturkey
Maybe choppy isn't the right word. I guess what bothers me a bit (and again, I'm day one buying so it isn't nearly a deal breaker) is that since most of the motions seem so natural and like they have weight behind them, the few that don't seem really out of place. Kind of an uncanny valley situation. The two big ones that stood out were the escape to standing from side control, and the missed cartwheel kick.

I'll look at those two moments again when I get home and see if I'm being overly critical.
A little thing I noticed on another watch through of this video, is that the escape from side control actually seems to have 2 transitions from Pettis. The first seems to be a movement to lay on his right side, then explodes away from Aldo with the second transition. Not sure how "realistic" this escape is since I don't train MMA (in regards to the speed of the transitions and effectiveness), but it did at least seem like there wasn't just one transition to go from side control to standing from the bottom.

# 45 dghustla @ 05/20/14 05:08 PM
+Graphics and fighters look great
+I think the speed shouldn't be a huge factor when you have 2 ppl who are fighting strategically with pace.
+Intro and arena was electric.
+Striking looked more fluid than other videos before.

-Grappling, Grappling, Grappling. This is such a huge part of MMA and IMO it just doesn't look right. I hated the way the players just slide across the mat frozen in position as if they were hit with a Sub-Zero Iceball on take down attempts. The transition from take-down attempt to slam looked stiff. Overall the grappling looked very choppy and dis-jointed. Pettis' defense on the bottom looked awkward as well I know the person controlling him was changing his guard but there was just something off about the entire sequence of moves.

I will limit my criticism because I do not know what the players who were controlling the fighters were trying to attempt. For example at 3:29 when Pettis simply pushes Aldo off him with ease while Aldo is in side control. It looks weird but maybe the player controlling Aldo was letting Pettis up to his feet.

# 46 aholbert32 @ 05/20/14 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fballturkey

You arent being overly critical but I didnt have an issue from either. That escape from side control was actually realistic. Two things are happening. Aldo is attempting to posture up to drop powerful ground shots and Pettis is using his knee to free himself. Compared to other MMA games thats one of the more realistic escapes Ive seen.

The missed cartwheel is just a bad animation when combined with the Aldo kick.

# 47 godylla @ 05/20/14 05:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Aldo is attempting to posture up to drop powerful ground shots and Pettis is using his knee to free himself. Compared to other MMA games thats one of the more realistic escapes Ive seen.
Yeah, there is a lot of space to work with on that escape.

# 48 stlpimpmonsta @ 05/20/14 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps3veron
Presentation wise: Awesome!
Gameplay: To me this is EA MMA 2. Not a bad thing!
When I saw the spinning back fist I was like "yep, EA MMA 2" and yeah that's not a bad thing(for us that enjoyed that game)

Sent from my LG-LS696 using Tapatalk 2

# 49 8and9 @ 05/20/14 07:21 PM
Outstanding!

# 50 Bowinkle08 @ 05/20/14 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by howboutdat
movements look rather choppy to me, not alot smooth about it IMO. kinda a let down there. gameplay looked as choppy as it did on the last UFC game on ps3. they really need to work on making players movements look much smoother.
movements looked smooth to me. the players moved kinda fast but it was fluid and in the context of the game. the graphics also kept up with the movements. looked good 2me but this is just my opinion

# 51 The JareBear @ 05/20/14 10:23 PM
Graphically. I'm impressed

Gameplay, seemed very arcadey. Not sure I've seen a real ufc fight look quite like that. Maybe that was the point though to show crazy exchanges

# 52 razorkaos @ 05/20/14 10:39 PM
Horrible. Really, is it Tekken? Cause its fast as hell. Also, the camera movement is really unnatural, and most of the strikes have no weight or power. EA and its problem of ignoring stamina. What's the point of having nice realistic graphics and physics (but the physics in this video are alwful) if you go all arcadey?

# 53 2_headedmonster @ 05/20/14 11:37 PM
The striking looked great except for the quickness of the transitions into those kicks. The speed wasn't a problem to me, people are that fast, but don't go that hard because of the energy it burns. So I would simply up the stamina hit to discourage going full speed.

I really liked what I saw considering the default is aimed at the general public. Did Ea MMA have sliders?

# 54 DaveDQ @ 05/20/14 11:53 PM
If a guy throws punches at a normal rate, there is no issue with speed. But if he does it at a very high rate, then speed is an issue. This is something Hayes Inc. refuse to consider. Any fighter would be sucking wind with this rate of aggression. They have to penalize it with a heavy blow to stamina if someone decides to throw punch and kicks galore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 55 aholbert32 @ 05/20/14 11:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_headedmonster
The striking looked great except for the quickness of the transitions into those kicks. The speed wasn't a problem to me, people are that fast, but don't go that hard because of the energy it burns. So I would simply up the stamina hit to discourage going full speed.

I really liked what I saw considering the default is aimed at the general public. Did Ea MMA have sliders?
I did not have sliders.

# 56 FiTMac @ 05/21/14 01:26 AM
Oh boy

+ Graphics look good, better than I expected

+ Movement better than previous releases, same with ground control

- Aldo gets rocked, stands up after 10 s and right away starts throwing spinning kicks, superman punches, really?

- Same with when Aldo hurts his leg, right after makes a takedown (with a leg he couldn't stand 2s before)

- Way too many punches and kicks thrown, rock em sock em robots (as always)

- Far from "simulation"

- Roster looks far from complete

Have to say, I just saved 60€

# 57 subinate027 @ 05/21/14 01:38 AM
Well the people that was playing it didn't give a good first gameplay video imo. They made it look like it was a rock em sock em robots game. But other than that I think the game looks really impressive and I can't wait until the demo.

# 58 redsrule @ 05/21/14 06:21 AM
Am I the only not impressed by this? Looks way too arcadey to me. That doesn't mean it won't be a fun game, I'm just a bit disappointed.

# 59 DaveDQ @ 05/21/14 08:22 AM
If someone got into the latest sports car and floored it, lost control and drove off the side of the road, would we say the handling in that car sucked?

Now I'm not saying this is the Ferrari of MMA games, but the user has a lot to do with how it looks like it plays.

# 60 aholbert32 @ 05/21/14 09:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDQ
If someone got into the latest sports car and floored it, lost control and drove off the side of the road, would we say the handling in that car sucked?

Now I'm not saying this is the Ferrari of MMA games, but the user has a lot to do with how it looks like it plays.

Exactly. Any and every game can look arcadey depending on how you play it especially a fighting game. I dont play like that so I'm not concerned about that. Also we have no idea what difficult level or settings they were playing at.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.