Home
NHL 15 News Post

The first NHL 15 screenshot was released today featuring the San Jose Sharks' Joe Thornton and Scott Hannan.

The company is offering two different deals for customers who pre-order the game. For those who pre-order through Gamestop, you will get $24 in Hockey Ultimate Team content, or 24 HUT Gold Packs. If you pre-order from other retailers, you get $15 in HUT content, or 15 gold packs. Each deal will net gamers one gold pack per week until their deal expires.

What do you think?

Game: NHL 15Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 16 - View All
NHL 15 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 drog1602 @ 06/03/14 01:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr

Drog: I'm so glad you can see eyebrow spacing from a side profile shot.. my god this forum..so amazing.
Eyebrow height, height. His eyebrows are too low. If you cannot see that...well not much more I can say to you. Its obvious you have zero attention to details.
Must be terrible for you.

# 42 drog1602 @ 06/03/14 01:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Segagendude
He's squinting to see the puck.....
now that is rich! I guess maybe a contact fell out, i hear they added that this year.

# 43 Mikey88 @ 06/03/14 02:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiggy33
I'm really hoping this is a very early screen shot. The lack of nameplate on Thornton's jersey is almost inexcusable unless this is an early picture. I'm assuming it is because if you look at the other next gen sports games, their first versions had many glaring issues that just showed it was an early build. That is just something so glaring that you'd think it will make it's way into the game.

To me the screen does look like Thornton. I think if he had a bigger beard that would represent him better, but he did go beardless/stubble for a good amount of this year. I agree with people though, what is EA doing with those Yotes fans? First of all the Yotes hardly get fans at their home games, so I don't know why on earth they'd put that many in the stands for a road game.

Honestly I'm more concerned about the Preorder bonuses. It just shows once again that EA is pushing online play. I don't think the tables have turned to offline at all. That's what has me scared. The NHL series has been so bad for however many straight years, that as long as this game finally represents the game of hockey in the light it should be in, no nameplates or really small details will turn me away. Plus I honestly can't imagine nameplates not being put in. That'd just be inexcusable, even for an EA game.
Why in their right minds would they focus on offline modes ? In this day and age its all about online. If u actually enjoy playing the same tired cpu ai well good for you but the majority of gamers like to play with or vs other gamers via online versus or eashl

# 44 bigwill33 @ 06/03/14 02:48 AM
How EA hasn't figured out nameplates by now is beyond me, but that is the least of the problems in this game. And to be honest, if I had only seen the face I wouldn't have guessed Thornton from that pic alone, but whatever.

The NHL series has been on the decline and is pretty awful if you are more than a casual hockey fan. It started off so strong on the 360/ps3 and in the last 3-4 years has just been a rehash... and that isn't a good thing.

I have pages upon pages of issues I've noted with this game and each mode specifically. I log more hours on NHL than any other game and since Rammer has taken over things my communication with EA Vancouver has dwindled, I am hoping they eventually reach out to me again in the attempt to work on some of these issues in the near future.

# 45 bwiggy33 @ 06/03/14 03:23 AM
Quote:
So them offering a preorder bonus to push preorders, like EVERY publisher in existence, on EVERY AAA game known to man, means they only focused on online? The reaching is amazing. We've seen one screen shot of the game, no gameplay at all, but hey EA's catering to the online crowd.

Bwiggy aren't you the same person who said 2k's goalies are better simply because they have a "push off" animation? Ignoring completely that 2k's goalies have the brains of a fruit fly?

Why don't we wait to see some gameplay footage before we deem that the offline game got no love, and keep in mind I don't play online, I'm a GM guy just like you and haven't particularly been blown away with the sim engine or the AI trade logic the last few years either.

I get where you're coming from, truly I do. But c'mon, lets be a bit realistic.

Drog: I'm so glad you can see eyebrow spacing from a side profile shot.. my god this forum..so amazing.
Yes I am the same one who said the goaltending system from 2k is better than EA but please lets not even get into that. Trust me I don't use the first screen shot to judge a game (I probably wouldn't have bought FIFA or The Show if that were the case), but I do judge games off of prior history especially when it's been much of the same for the past 4 years. You sit here and say we all nit pick and this and that, but really why shouldn't we? The people angry with the game have been angry at the same exact faults the game has had for ages. When you don't see improvement in glaring problems people are allowed to be angry. I'm extremely excited to see what this game has in store, but I'm becoming less and less excited because I just still have the feeling it will be much of the same. I really do hope this game improves. I'm at the point where if this game actually replicates a better brand of hockey then current gen NHL, I am 100% satisfied. I don't need Be A GM or any other mode to be flawless, I just want to play a game of hockey that has the pace, skill, smarts, strategy, and other nuances of hockey.

@Mikey

I'm not saying they should only focus on offline. Not at all. I completely understand the majority of people play online, but there are still many who don't and you will find many on this forum. Also have you ever thought that maybe if EA put out a decent offline product maybe more people would play offline? AI wouldn't be repetitive if the devs actually cared to make it that way. There's other sports games out there where the AI is barely repetitive at all. NHL is just so lackluster in this area that maybe it makes you think other sports games are exactly like it. Since AI is one of EA's sticking points with the "Ignite" engine, I am really hoping EA follows through.

# 46 snowblind89 @ 06/03/14 03:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey88
Why in their right minds would they focus on offline modes ? In this day and age its all about online. If u actually enjoy playing the same tired cpu ai well good for you but the majority of gamers like to play with or vs other gamers via online versus or eashl
Yes...you must have literally no friends outside of Xbox live. The foundation of sports video gaming was built of offline, local multiplayer. Not against AI, not online, but offline multiplayer. Offline multiplayer, where you can actually play a game (20 minute periods, sliders fully adjusted) with some sliver of resemblance to actual hockey were there not bouncing pucks, hilarious dump ins, and glitch goals. Also, have you considered that all of the gameplay and aesthetic faults also apply to online modes? Yep, that bouncing puck exists in all of your online, EASHL games. The same hilarious fan models and behavior that we see in this new groundbreaking screenshot of NHL 15 will exist in all of your online games. Unless you are blatantly trolling (which you aren't) think before you post something and actually apply logic please.

Just a little side note...has anyone actually tried "Authentic" post-whistle rules? What an absolute joke of programming, the people at EA should be ashamed and embarrassed of themselves.

# 47 snowblind89 @ 06/03/14 05:25 AM
Quote:
We both want the same things, but valuing things like push off animations over actual intelligence speaks volumes of bias, its interesting to me that the same handful of users that slag EA's AI every year are fine that 2k10's ai can't even manage to perform a proper breakout or that while their goalies may have some nice animations at times, they often would likely have issue stopping a puck the size of a beach ball with how stupid the AI is in that game, regardless of the slider set used.

If you're going to slag one for certain things, please be consistent. Otherwise to me EA could put out the most simtastic game ever and honestly? I don't think that would matter to certain people who seem to have an agenda to nitpick the game to death regardless.

I get the frustrations, truly I do, I don't need it to be flawless either, I'd like better sim logic based on player ratings, I'd like to see the sliders better explained as to why setting attribute effects in the middle provides a better gameplay experience than say maxing that slider out to either end (this one truly baffles me still). I'd like better neutral zone pressure which only one game in the history of NHL video games has ever gotten close to doing well (NHL2k3)

It just gets really old to hear the same complaints from the same very vocal few every year when in reality, with the right sliders, the game is not terrible by any means offline. Perfect? Nope, but no where near as bad as some try to claim it is.
Ah, ok. I understand where you are coming from, I really do. The problem is that some of the things people have been complaining about for years, are completely and easily solvable. Things like dumping the puck in? Which happens tens of times a game? The puck bounces like a bouncy ball, and renders a realistic simulation of an NHL game completely broken. This has been prevalent and rampant in EVERY game of NHL 14 for months, MONTHS. One small detail, easily fixed, has dramatically reduced our chance of simulating an NHL game, which SHOULD BE the purpose of this franchise? You know, you can forget all criticism of the crowd and facial models not being right and "graphics" and the whole thing about the first released screenshot, because at the end of the day, there are gameplay issues that made NHL 14 relatively unplayable. Look, you said it yourself- tuning the sliders (which are totally, utterly, completely important in programming the game the way you want it to be played and anyone with half a brain will agree) is necessary. Nobody can give an explanation on what the hell the sliders do when moved one way or another. The in-game details are vague and very unhelpful. In the end, (thank god for OS, or we would all be left to do it ourselves) the consumers do the testing, and the forums can testify to this. There are slider sub-forums everywhere. This is what the developers need to be doing, it's what they are getting paid to do. Nitpicking is what drives innovation, it's the "this isn't perfect, so I will stay up and code it to do things exactly right" attitude that is lacking. Nitpicking is what all of the testers and developers should be doing, and demanding that perfection. EA can do better. Everyone knows this, and it is obvious. The problem is that nobody actually at the company is demanding it.

# 48 Splitter77 @ 06/03/14 06:48 AM
when do you think we see first gameplay?

anyone know if there will be stick collision detection? Like not having sticks go through players and other sticks??
like how if you try and skate with the puck, if your stick hits a player or another stick, the game will notice this and you will lose control of the puck.

# 49 Dolphins88 @ 06/03/14 07:07 AM
I'm waiting to see if the game actually plays better and more realistically. Since 07 it has been on a decline. Each team should play differently and they should focus on player differences with specific skill sets. That's what matters not the look of eyebrows. AI should be the focus and physics along w better goalies.

# 50 bwiggy33 @ 06/03/14 11:12 AM
Quote:
We both want the same things, but valuing things like push off animations over actual intelligence speaks volumes of bias, its interesting to me that the same handful of users that slag EA's AI every year are fine that 2k10's ai can't even manage to perform a proper breakout or that while their goalies may have some nice animations at times, they often would likely have issue stopping a puck the size of a beach ball with how stupid the AI is in that game, regardless of the slider set used.

If you're going to slag one for certain things, please be consistent. Otherwise to me EA could put out the most simtastic game ever and honestly? I don't think that would matter to certain people who seem to have an agenda to nitpick the game to death regardless.

I get the frustrations, truly I do, I don't need it to be flawless either, I'd like better sim logic based on player ratings, I'd like to see the sliders better explained as to why setting attribute effects in the middle provides a better gameplay experience than say maxing that slider out to either end (this one truly baffles me still). I'd like better neutral zone pressure which only one game in the history of NHL video games has ever gotten close to doing well (NHL2k3)

It just gets really old to hear the same complaints from the same very vocal few every year when in reality, with the right sliders, the game is not terrible by any means offline. Perfect? Nope, but no where near as bad as some try to claim it is.
I just reread our entire conversation from a couple months ago and never did I say I'd prefer push offs over AI. Honestly the two should go hand in hand. Also 2k's goalies really are not as dumb as you are saying. Go play 2k10 with the roster edits that the guys on this forum have made and your opinion will probably change providing you have an open mind. Aside from the easy breakaway goals (same move that beats goalies in EA btw) the animations and style they have is a million times better than EA. There's no fixing EA's goalies with ratings edits. They still have no momentum and warp to make every save. As I said I'm done getting into this conversation, I just wanted to defend the fact that you are saying things I've never even said. I encourage you to go back and reread my posts and you won't see I prefer pushoffs over AI.

The sad thing is you seem to see warping goalies and EA fixing cheeze goals by putting a band aid on the goalies instead of diving deep into the problem as nitpicking. This is not nitpicking. This is a massive issue with this game. I probably put goalies way higher up on the list than most people, but I just don't understand how people accept mediocrity in this area. I can't understand how people see warping goalies and animations of saves that don't even exist in real life as acceptable. The same goes for other areas of this game. If you want to see nitpicking please go to The Show forum. You will really laugh when you see things like sweat stains on hats being mentioned. What's sad is NHL had a better base than any other sports game through the first couple years, yet it's amazing how much they digressed and other games took ground breaking strides.

# 51 actionhank @ 06/03/14 12:34 PM
Quote:

I don't want it to sound like i hate the game. I can enjoy it. But, there's so many frustrations that just exist year after year. The fact that the dump in issue with sky-high pucks wasn't in the game to start, but was patched in, and isn't something we can turn off, or get patched out is insane.

I really like the game, but after a season, it all just gets stale. Every team plays the same, and ratings hardly seem to matter in the stock game. The same problems with an AI player skating around the back of the net and just holding his stick out as far as he can then spinning around the front and backhanding a wrister over a sprawling goalie while 2 players on your team watch, and you struggle to actually do anything with the body or poke check get old. Slow wrist shots that slide at 10 miles an hour through 4 of your players and under your goalies pads while everyone watches gets old.

The game is fun, there's no denying that. But so many of these problems exist year after year, and it gets frustrating as someone who doesn't play with strangers online. There's no joy in it for me, especially when 3/4 games i try to play turn out to be kids cheesing nonsense goals, or people who quit when you get ahead. But the online crowd it who gets the main focus, because they bring in the money. I understand keeping the hand that feeds you happy, but doing little to nothing for the Be A GM and offline crowd is always frustrating. That's the frustration with HUT. It gets the lion's share of the development attention, pretty much the majority of the Facebook and post-release attention (No dynamic rosters for offline games, but there are for HUT. That's something that other games have had offline for years).

I really like EA's NHL series, but honestly, i feel like the lack of a competitor has caused the game to slowly stagnate to an online-centered game that wants whatever big hits and silly dekes will attract the most action gamers. I can't push a player towards the boards to slow his entering the zone, but there's an animation to jump over players while flipping the puck in the air that was specifically made for the online players who had to get a way to get by people who just sprawl on the ice instead of playing real defense.
I really want NHL15 to be great. And honestly, i'm not judging it too hard based on this screenshot. I think Thornton's face looks a bit wonky, but everything else looks fantastic. The lighting and texture on the sweaters, the way they look like people wearing pads and hockey gear over that instead of just puffed up men with sweaters on is great.
But visuals will only please me for so long. If i still have to wait 60 minutes to sim through half of a season (with monthly interruptions from my scouts that i can't automate), teams that all play the same just with different sweaters and stadiums that look pretty similar overall, but with a different center ice logo, i'll be pretty bummed.
I'm reserving judgment until EA actually puts the game out, but i don't think people being hesitant to think that EA will put much focus on Be a GM is outrageous.

# 52 Mikey88 @ 06/03/14 12:39 PM
@Mikey

I'm not saying they should only focus on offline. Not at all. I completely understand the majority of people play online, but there are still many who don't and you will find many on this forum. Also have you ever thought that maybe if EA put out a decent offline product maybe more people would play offline? AI wouldn't be repetitive if the devs actually cared to make it that way. There's other sports games out there where the AI is barely repetitive at all. NHL is just so lackluster in this area that maybe it makes you think other sports games are exactly like it. Since AI is one of EA's sticking points with the "Ignite" engine, I am really hoping EA follows through.[/quote]

No. Like i said, you get a better gaming experience when you play vs others online. Offline gaming vs cpu will never be as good as vs humans no matter how hard they try. In this day and age , gaming is all about 1 console per player and we all meet up in the middle which is online in the mode of your liking

# 53 Mikey88 @ 06/03/14 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowblind89
Yes...you must have literally no friends outside of Xbox live. The foundation of sports video gaming was built of offline, local multiplayer. Not against AI, not online, but offline multiplayer. Offline multiplayer, where you can actually play a game (20 minute periods, sliders fully adjusted) with some sliver of resemblance to actual hockey were there not bouncing pucks, hilarious dump ins, and glitch goals. Also, have you considered that all of the gameplay and aesthetic faults also apply to online modes? Yep, that bouncing puck exists in all of your online, EASHL games. The same hilarious fan models and behavior that we see in this new groundbreaking screenshot of NHL 15 will exist in all of your online games. Unless you are blatantly trolling (which you aren't) think before you post something and actually apply logic please.

Ok heres some logic for you. Unless you're 12 years old, nobody has time to go over to a friends place and crush 20 min periods on uber realistic mode. And how are you so certain , based off of 1 screenshot that the bouncing puck will be in NHL15?

# 54 bwiggy33 @ 06/03/14 01:14 PM
Quote:
No. Like i said, you get a better gaming experience when you play vs others online. Offline gaming vs cpu will never be as good as vs humans no matter how hard they try. In this day and age , gaming is all about 1 console per player and we all meet up in the middle which is online in the mode of your liking
So you're telling me the AI is just fine the way it is online? I find that very hard to believe. The AI is basically just as bad online, the only difference is the user controlling the player with the puck. All of the other players are CPU AI. The same goals are scored time and time again because you don't need creativity to play the game. The defensemen still collapse to the slot when the opponent comes in the zone, your AI teammates still have brain dead positioning on defense no matter their defensive rating, and I could go on and on. I played 9 games online when I rented the game with a free trial of gamefly. I won every game and I had zero fun because it was so repetitive, grant it I was skill level 1 so I was playing the worst possible opponents. There was a grand total of 4 offsides in those 9 games. Yes, I kept track of offsides. Does that sound like hockey to you?

The game is a ping pong match that is up and down up and down with guys blowing past defensemen for breakaways no matter what speed rating they have. Why? Because the game has AI flaws that result in cheeze goals no matter if you try and prevent doing them. This game seriously takes very little skill to be good at because of the AI. NHL does do some things very well, but it has such a long way to go because they didn't continue to improve the things that needed improving. Improving AI as a whole would make online and offline good. Isn't that what everyone wants?

# 55 snowblind89 @ 06/03/14 01:24 PM
Quote:
Ok heres some logic for you. Unless you're 12 years old, nobody has time to go over to a friends place and crush 20 min periods on uber realistic mode. And how are you so certain , based off of 1 screenshot that the bouncing puck will be in NHL15?
This is a totally ignorant post, along with the post above it, and doesn't do anything to promote discussion here.

Quote:
Here's some "logic" for you. I could play 1 minute periods or 20 minute periods, offline or online, and I would still have the exact same comments and complaints on gameplay and game aesthetic that I do now. I don't think you understand the problems here, it's not about online vs offline, it's about the gameplay ad graphics that affect BOTH modes. Did you even look at the screenshot and form an opinion on the subject of this thread? Can you acknowledge that there are a myriad of errors in an exclusive screenshot meant to showcase a next-gen product?

Quote:
This is such a naive way to look at things, and is totally based off of personal preference. Have you ever played NHL for an hour and a half in one sitting? You care enough about the game to be on OS- I guarantee you, you have. That's about how long it takes to play a 20-minute period game. Instead of playing 4 or 5 online games in a row, I would rather play one game to simulate, as accurately as possible, an NHL game. The game is called NHL, and is meant to be developed and marketed as a simulation of professional hockey, and until it is marketed as something different, the people who purchase the game are very much so entitled to voicing their criticism of the game's flaws. Now, I'm not certain that the bouncing puck will be in NHL 15 (for ****s sake, it better not be) but EA has a track record of having terrible, gamebreaking glitches, errors, and authenticity problems THAT ARE EASILY AVOIDABLE with a little actual effort and attention to detail. I encourage you to reread some of these posts with a different mindset and maybe you will understand better what people are trying to say here.

# 56 hgg @ 06/03/14 04:20 PM
I think it seems pretty legit:
NHL 15 Could Be Playable at Upcoming E3 Convention?
http://nilsenreport.ca/2014/05/26/nh...e3-convention/

# 57 Simaofan-20 @ 06/03/14 04:23 PM
Quote:
You can NEVER ever ever have that kind of attitude. Never ignore a % of the audience that you don't know how big it is. Could be very well half the gamers don't play online, I sure don't. Offline AI spills into online, no matter how much you want to think there isn't. You can only control 1 player at a time, if you aren't playing EASHL and I for one will never play that. The way the CPU is played comes from how the offline game is played I don't see how you can't understand that. Why in their right minds wouldn't they focus on offline modes is a more logical question. Not everyone wants online, not everyone wants to pay for xbox live or PSN

# 58 Shakes @ 06/03/14 04:23 PM
If true I hope we see some good on-ice gameplay footage along the lines.

# 59 Mikey88 @ 06/03/14 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiggy33
So you're telling me the AI is just fine the way it is online? I find that very hard to believe. The AI is basically just as bad online, the only difference is the user controlling the player with the puck. All of the other players are CPU AI. The same goals are scored time and time again because you don't need creativity to play the game. The defensemen still collapse to the slot when the opponent comes in the zone, your AI teammates still have brain dead positioning on defense no matter their defensive rating, and I could go on and on. I played 9 games online when I rented the game with a free trial of gamefly. I won every game and I had zero fun because it was so repetitive, grant it I was skill level 1 so I was playing the worst possible opponents. There was a grand total of 4 offsides in those 9 games. Yes, I kept track of offsides. Does that sound like hockey to you?

The game is a ping pong match that is up and down up and down with guys blowing past defensemen for breakaways no matter what speed rating they have. Why? Because the game has AI flaws that result in cheeze goals no matter if you try and prevent doing them. This game seriously takes very little skill to be good at because of the AI. NHL does do some things very well, but it has such a long way to go because they didn't continue to improve the things that needed improving. Improving AI as a whole would make online and offline good. Isn't that what everyone wants?
You get to the higher levels, you get better opponents and much more realistic game play. Is it perfect? Hell no, but it still beats playing the brain dead cpu. Strategies actually work as well. I've played vs guys that play so well defensively they clog the neutral zone, make it really hard on you to access the blue line, let alone take a shot.
You'll never get that kind of challenge from the cpu.

# 60 Mikey88 @ 06/03/14 05:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simaofan-20
You can NEVER ever ever have that kind of attitude. Never ignore a % of the audience that you don't know how big it is. Could be very well half the gamers don't play online, I sure don't. Offline AI spills into online, no matter how much you want to think there isn't. You can only control 1 player at a time, if you aren't playing EASHL and I for one will never play that. The way the CPU is played comes from how the offline game is played I don't see how you can't understand that. Why in their right minds wouldn't they focus on offline modes is a more logical question. Not everyone wants online, not everyone wants to pay for xbox live or PSN
Yeah i understand how it works lol but I'm sorry, you are in the minority. Every EA Sports title focuses mainly on online gaming because most gamers play online, and also because there's money to be made. It's just a a fact. Sure, they will offer you offline modes and you can play offline all you want , but you are keeping yourself from experiencing the best the game has to offer, which is what EA focuses on first and foremost.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.