Home
EA Sports UFC News Post

The EA Sports UFC demo is available now for Xbox One (queue it up here), it weighs in at 2.7GB. If you are up for it, you can also download from your PS4 by creating a European account, then downloading from this link.

UPDATE: The demo is now available for PS4 users in North America. Search for EA Sports UFC in the PlayStation Store or click here to queue it up.

The demo includes light heavyweight champ Jon “Bones” Jones vs. Alex “The Mauler” Gustafsson in a three round fight at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas Nevada. The difficulty is set to normal with a walkthrough tutorial included.

Play a few matches and post your impressions!

Game: EA Sports UFCReader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 7 - View All
EA Sports UFC Videos
Member Comments
# 141 The JareBear @ 06/03/14 04:15 PM
On one hand, I do know a number of games that improved quite a bit from their demo version and final retail version, on the other, I also know quite a few that didn't. I expect the retail version to have some improvements in the gameplay but I don't expect everything missing from the demo (like scorecards and whatnot) to automatically appear in the final version. Hopefully they do, but just not expecting it.

I have only had two fights.

The first one actually was pretty cool, other than the fact that I hurried through the tutorial and completely forgot some of the grappling controls. Gus and Jones both had a knockdown and some strong moments in the first round, in the second I was able to knock him out via body strikes. That's cool, but it felt kind of easy. Again, I know it is on easy mode and everything, just my impression of my demo experience.

I had fun though, despite a number of flaws that everyone else has already pointed out.

I do agree that the more I move, the less hyper aggressive the CPU was. I always was big on movement and footwork in the last UFC games and I am constantly circling, feinting in and out, changing directions, the CPU responded decently well IMO. When I stood in front of him, yeah, it was an arcade smash fest. Definitely some animation sluggishness.

I am gonna purchase day one, as I planned on it, but will definitely be looking for flaws in the retail version to see if it will actually be a long term own.

# 142 godylla @ 06/03/14 04:18 PM
Can anyone confirm/deny if leg kicks slow down the CPU aggressiveness at all?

# 143 The JareBear @ 06/03/14 04:22 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if "CPU dynamic fight gameplanning, adaptive real-time A.I." is a big feature of the next release. Something like that, anyway.

# 144 2k10Fonzarelli @ 06/03/14 04:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by godylla
Can anyone confirm/deny if leg kicks slow down the CPU aggressiveness at all?
can't really say, though my 1st impression is not really

# 145 aholbert32 @ 06/03/14 04:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The JareBear
I wouldn't be surprised if "CPU dynamic fight gameplanning, adaptive real-time A.I." is a big feature of the next release. Something like that, anyway.
Thats the problem. They already are promoting it as a feature. "MMAi"

"A mixed martial artist’s mind is as important as his heart. Every licensed fighter in the game will have changing goals and fight plans, based on their real-life tendencies and each fight situation. Stop their Plan A, and they will adapt to Plan B or C. Down on the scorecards, look for the AI to end the fight with a knockout or a submission. A smarter opponent equals a more challenging and unpredictable fights."

Thats why I'll be pissed if its not different in the retail version.

# 146 2k10Fonzarelli @ 06/03/14 04:35 PM
Being able to play on a higher difficulty will shed some light on this.

Though i Can't really imagine the AI will be less agro. Just better at blocking and defending.

I just had a beaut of a one sided fight against jones. Despite slipping the initial punch and landing a wobble, jones continued to press. I parried the next two shots, landed a second wobble counter, blocked a headkick and hit a cross-LHook-RPowerHook combo for the KO.

It was not too dissimilar from Silva v Griffin. I feel as if the real jones wouldn't have done this. But then again i did score Gus v Jones1 3rounds-2rounds in favour of Gus.

# 147 Cpre5 @ 06/03/14 04:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerk
I've got 15+ fights under my belt, finally got the controls down.
I really disliked the submission HUD at first but now that I know what to do I get great satisfaction out of submitting people.

Has anyone been able to throw elbows with jones out of side control? I've done it once or twice but don't know what button combination it actually is.

Speaking of ground game I hate how fast they stand you up. Especially when I'm in a dominate position (side control) and I'm doing some damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

L1 + R1 + square/triangle

# 148 Panicshade @ 06/03/14 04:41 PM
I played through the demo now on PS4 and I guess I played a little better. It's still going to take a while for me to get used to. I swear there is still a bit of input lag or animation lag going on. It just seems like the timing of things going on isn't exactly correct.

Also, is it safe to say there isn't really working to get a takedown in the game? Seems like it's just you get it or not and there's no area in-between. I may be totally missing something though.

# 149 ManiacMatt1782 @ 06/03/14 04:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaLiveKing
ok!! Thanks
No problem, when trying to escape, the goal is to fill an escape gate. If they never block you, you have an easy escape. once they block you, you can't fill that gate, until they stop blocking it, so you have to move and try to go out a different gate. If they hold you there long enough by blocking you, they can advance to the next stage of the submission and the gates are reset. Different factors, determine how quickly you get an advance prompt, and how many prompts are needed to finish the submission. For anyone struggling with the submission game on offense or defense, I hope this explanation helped.

# 150 2k10Fonzarelli @ 06/03/14 04:51 PM
Can anyone confirm/Deny that If one is holding a direction on the LS while defending a takedown it nullifies the defense attempt?

Quite often when my opponent grabs a leg im moving away. In the midst of this all i press RT/R1 + RS down to defend the takedown but fail everytime.

Judging by how the AI defends my own attempts, the window for defense is larger than other MMA games. I can be 50% of the way through a takedown anim. and the AI just stuffs me. Its not the same when I catch even a power takedown ~50% of the way through the anim.

Its Driving me mental

# 151 DaveDQ @ 06/03/14 04:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacMatt1782
I definitely see some flaws, but if you get on your horse, and use some sidesteps, and counters, the CPU does calm down a bit off the over aggression. They are still aggressive, but not full berserker mode as if you stand in the pocket and trade. I don't hate it. I wish the aggression was toned down, and like allbethere said, the way the move set is set up doesn't really make sense, and makes it difficult to pull off more basic combo's and makes it easier to use the flashiness. I am still going to get the game, and As I learn the controls and adjust, I am sure it will get better, But the flashiness is gonna be there everyfight, more frequently than most. I can deal with that, as long as the stamina stays as is, or gets even more strict. I actually think the stamina is done pretty well. If you throw too much, you definitely gas out. And if you gas out, what you throw isn't very effective, and slower.

I am torn because there are a lot of things I like, and a few things that irk me. But the things that irk me, irk me pretty bad, But what I like I like a lot. I want to play against another person to see how well fights can go. Tough to have friends to come over and play locally now though.
That is about the same for me.

I am so upset this game does not have a sprint button to go aggressive when your opponent is rocked. If I could ask them to patch one thing, that would be it. I can't believe that is not in this game.

It goes along with the time window you are given to capitalize. It's like with a TKO they stop too early.

# 152 Saintsfan2085 @ 06/03/14 04:55 PM
Let me start by saying that I love the UFC. I absolutely LOVED UFC 3 for ps3. To me, that game got the stand up game correct. It wasn't hard to learn and the player knew what move he was doing when he pressed a button. EA UFC is not UFC 3. Yes, some of the controls are similar, but that's where it stops. The ground game is downright aggravating. The submission system is terrible. The stand up game is a mess. The game looks incredible as far as visually. I'd imagine that in the retail version, when I get to turn off the HUD, I will at times be lost in the games realism. As far as gameplay goes, THQ already did the hard work and after 3 games, they nailed it. All EA had to do was build off of that last UFC game that THQ made and this would've been a home run. Perhaps one of the most mind blowing things is just how TERRIBLE Bruce Buffer's introductions are. There's NO energy, NO screaming, NO excitement that anyone who's ever seen a UFC ppv is accustomed to. I hope beyond hope that this demo was put together hastily and that the retail version will be fixed in at least some aspects. At the very least, I hope there's a day one patch to fix some things. If I could swap around controls, that would be a start to getting me to accept what they have done with this game. It is impossible to get in any kind of rhythm in the stand up game do to the fact that you have to hold L2 to bob and weave. There are no counter punches when you come out of the bob or weave, not to mention you are holding the button that is set for lower body attacks. The controls ruin this game for me. On the animations side, sometimes it's fast, sometimes it's slow, and sometimes it's on point. The flow of punches and kicks that I mastered in UFC 3 will sorely be missed in this game. I really expected more than just graphical advancement with this title. I'm going to buy it. I'm going to play it. Hell, I may even begin to like the controls once I learn them all... My point is that this is in no way, shape, or form what I expected from this game. It is, however, EXACTLY what I expected from EA Sports.

# 153 Benz87 @ 06/03/14 04:59 PM
Everyone including myself wants to have hope the over-aggressiveness of the AI will not be an issue in the full version once the difficulty has been turned up a notch or two. With that being stated, previously in combat games whether it be MMA or boxing the tendency seems to be as difficulty goes up, so does the aggressiveness of the AI. On top of that, I just cant help but feel so many aspects of MMA are missing form this game. It's going to be very difficult to get over this emptiness feeling and really have this game draw me in.

I'm very concerned. I really had high optimism for this game with how much positive hype it had, and EA does have a history of being able to talk a good game without backing it up.

We can keep making the argument of it is only the demo, but there is a reason developer put a demo out, and it isn't to show you the flaws that will be corrected for the retail version of a title.

# 154 gatortown @ 06/03/14 04:59 PM
I noticed when attacking the leg(s), after some damage the cpu switches stance.

# 155 DaveDQ @ 06/03/14 05:00 PM
The thing about Buffer that EA can't control is his ability to do in studio what he does at am event. I even read too where Rogan wasn't available much for the game and even considered it silly.

# 156 LingeringRegime @ 06/03/14 05:13 PM
L2 + Left Stick gives you a little bit of sway.

Just finished my first fight.

I think it will be a fun game to play. At least I hope.

# 157 ManiacMatt1782 @ 06/03/14 05:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDQ
The thing about Buffer that EA can't control is his ability to do in studio what he does at am event. I even read too where Rogan wasn't available much for the game and even considered it silly.

It seems like they intentionally scaled Buffer back, and told him to do his best Jimmy Lennon Jr. impression while they recorded him. Buffer is a guy theat exudes excitement. Dude is pumped up when doing intros and really into it. They couldn't have recorded him from events because he is never that calm at events.

# 158 Saintsfan2085 @ 06/03/14 05:20 PM
All of the announcing and voice work done in UFC 3 was pretty spot on. Rogan and Goldberg sound good in this game as well, but Buffer's intros are atrocious. EA Sports has a contract with the UFC, and therefore anyone who works for them and is a part of this game would have been required to put in whatever work they were assigned to. Even if Buffer didn't have time to do the voice work, EA could've easily and probably more cost effectively just cut audio from any UFC event and used it in the game and it STILL would've sounded better than it does in EA UFC. But that's just one part of my disappointment, and sadly there are many. I'm trying hard not to hate this game because just like Madden, it's the only UFC game we've got. Exclusive licenses are the true culprit with games not living up to hype. But, as I said, I will still buy it and I will still play it. I can only hope that my mind changes once I'm able to dive into career mode.

# 159 The JareBear @ 06/03/14 05:28 PM
Facebook videos still can't be embedded right?

Here is my second fight. I did pretty terribly on this one, tried to mix it up a little in the striking game but not a little arcadey. Bet you can't even tell who the CPU and who I am based on how crappy I played.

I gotta go back and re-do the grappling tutorial.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...18682121400287

I thought I was uploading in 1080p but maybe thats just twitch? Compression here doesn't do he visuals justice.

# 160 DaveDQ @ 06/03/14 05:34 PM
There are presentation pieces missing that could make things so much better. As an example, yes, you can't pounce a guy when there is a KO, but why make him just stand there? Have him pull away, insert the ref and have him wave the fight off. Have the appropriate people jump in the area and attend the guy, and the go to the other guy celebrating. And I just don't want to hear they can't. They claimed this generation was why the went with this game. Give the game some depth then.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.