Home
News Post

Americans seem to tire quickly of the status quo and there are few things we love more than seeing the guy at the top get torn down. Oh, and we also love sports.

Combine these three aspects and you have a recipe for a surplus of disdain for the two-time defending NBA champions, the Miami Heat.

I was only a kid when Michael Jordan and Co. went on their incredible runs during the 1990's -- but I don't recall the resounding hate for the Bulls like we're seeing with the Heat. At the time it seemed as if America loved to see the dynasty thrive and the greatest of all time continuously claim his crown.

Sound Off: Why does America dislike the Miami Heat?

Game: NBAReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: SportsVotes for game: 2 - View All
Member Comments
# 141 King_B_Mack @ 06/08/14 05:58 PM
Bosh confirmed it, but whatever. This is an old issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 142 vtcha @ 06/08/14 07:21 PM
I wonder what the reactions will be like if, hypothetically speaking, Melo teams up with the Big 3 this summer...

# 143 VDusen04 @ 06/08/14 07:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtcha
I wonder what the reactions will be like if, hypothetically speaking, Melo teams up with the Big 3 this summer...
I was trying to stay away from hypotheticals like that but then I think such a notion may help illustrate the issue some folks may have with the original team orchestration.

I was thinking in regards to Kevin Durant. As in, he just completed his seventh year, he's in the heart of his prime, he's been the finals once, and his team recently won 60 games (sound familiar?). Alas, he hasn't been able to cash in on an NBA championship. If he happened to be a free agent this summer, it'd be well within his right to sign with the Miami Heat. Would that be at all objectionable? After all, to follow the familiar logic, he's ringless but he's worked hard, and winning is all that matters so joining the Miami Heat would be the only sensible move to make.

In fact, if one team slowly just became known as a championship factory where great times are had and incredible talent collected, thus leading to a legitimate Dream Team roster in the NBA (not just three real Dream Teamers but, say, eight), and they all agree to take pay cuts because they know they'll make it up in endorsements and otherwise, would that be a problem?

To be entirely clear, both of the above examples are zany (though I kind of thought the idea of James, Wade, and Bosh joining forces was also a little far-fetched prior to its occurrence). But I think it speaks toward the question DIESEL brought up a few pages back: where is the line? And I think it's apparent that for some people, that line has already been crossed. For others, maybe it'd take Carmelo Anthony & Marcin Gortat additions this summer. And maybe more believe there is no line, that players are free to do what they want (which is true) and winning is always winning, no matter the discrepancy in competition.

# 144 Sportsbuck @ 06/08/14 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtcha
It would mean that the new CBA wasn't worth the paper it was written on, for one.

# 145 ojandpizza @ 06/08/14 09:22 PM
Durant shouldn't join Miami, he is on a team currently with just as much talent top to bottom.

# 146 ProfessaPackMan @ 06/08/14 09:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_B_Mack
Three past their prime players agreed to play together. Okay, we'll cut all the context of the situation for just the end results. Still not the same thing as three in their prime all-stars conspiring four or five years prior.

Let's not forget that Chris Paul was apart of the pact as well. The plan was four the big 3 to come together in Miami and the Paul would join them when he became a free agent, but that plan went out the window when the rules were changed in the new CBA

I thought Paul's plan was to join Melo and Amar'e in NY and form their own Big 3 before the new CBA put a stop to that?

That's when he was at Melo's wedding and made a toast about that.

# 147 Jeffx @ 06/09/14 05:41 PM
Actually, I'm not surprised at all the silly Lebron hate from clueless fans and media types - Wilt, Dr. J, Magic, Kobe and even Michael Jordan got it too. Hell, Magic already won two titles(and had his greatest Finals performance in his rookie season), but he stumbled against Boston in '84, and folks pounced on him - called him 'Tragic Johnson'. So Lebron's in good company. Haters gonna hate.

# 148 King_B_Mack @ 06/09/14 06:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaPackMan
I thought Paul's plan was to join Melo and Amar'e in NY and form their own Big 3 before the new CBA put a stop to that?

That's when he was at Melo's wedding and made a toast about that.
Yeah, he did say that a few days after The Decision. I'm just going by what Bill Simmons was saying was the "rumor" he had been told was going around NBA circles the day of LeBron's decision. He mentioned the "rumor" when he heard it back in November of '08 but never really paid it much mind until Bosh and Wade turned up together during that free agency and he brought it up again in one of his columns. I would guess after the backlash, Chris talking about going to New York was some sort of smoke screen or change of plans until the CBA ****ed it up and Melo ****ed up their cap space not waiting to sign as a FA.

# 149 Mayo @ 06/09/14 06:50 PM
Just back the reaction of clevland when he left shows that there not tru fans and the GM comments as if they never had respect for him was just using him if i was James i wouldnt ever return to clevland
#Heat3Peat
#Hatersgo2Hell

Scooby Dewbie )

# 150 Jeffx @ 06/09/14 07:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayo
Just back the reaction of clevland when he left shows that there not tru fans and the GM comments as if they never had respect for him was just using him if i was James i wouldnt ever return to clevland
#Heat3Peat
#Hatersgo2Hell

Scooby Dewbie )
Lebron made a dead franchise relevant. Took those scrubs to the Finals, and made the owner a lot of money. He made a business move, something owners and average folks do all the time. Was 'The Decision' media circus the right way to go? No, but everyone makes mistakes in life. Lebron learned from that and moved on.

Why can't so-called 'fans' sit back and appreciate greatness when they see it, instead of talking smack. They'd never call Lebron a p***y to his face. Maybe they're jealous he didn't come to their team, like some Knick fans I know.

# 151 iLLosophy @ 06/09/14 07:21 PM
What's funny about the Big 3 is they each were well respected individually before they joined together.

But let me go through the reasons....

-The Decision and the lack of humility that came with it
-There's an undeserving sense of entitlement
-The flopping & working excessive working of the refs
-For the amount of talent they have they aren't that exciting to watch
-For the amount of talent LeBron has, he's not that exciting to watch

# 152 Crystar500 @ 06/11/14 09:39 PM
People always put them on a pedestal like they are the greatest. People always put LeBron as their GOAT over Jordan. It makes no sense.

It makes me sick to see fake Heat fans in my city of New York (Although, there's not much to cheer for the rest of New York.. I'm looking at you, Dolan.) even Brooklyn. That's why the Nets have terrible crowds! An entire section of the arena was filled with fake Heat fans!

People born and raised in their own cities stray away from their hometown team to the Heat. And it's not like they're actual fans, (although a few are) they just root for Miami because they're the best team in their eyes. Not that it's not ok to root for a team outside your city, no, not at all. Kevin Durant grew up a Raptors fan, but he hails from Washington D.C., home of the Wizards. At least have a decent reason. These fans don't even know the Heat's starting five! Much less their bench!

I have lost faith in our planet.

# 153 TripleCrown9 @ 06/11/14 09:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystar500
People always put them on a pedestal like they are the greatest. People always put LeBron as their GOAT over Jordan. It makes no sense.

It makes me sick to see fake Heat fans in my city of New York (Although, there's not much to cheer for the rest of New York.. I'm looking at you, Dolan.) even Brooklyn. That's why the Nets have terrible crowds! An entire section of the arena was filled with fake Heat fans!

People born and raised in their own cities stray away from their hometown team to the Heat. And it's not like they're actual fans, (although a few are) they just root for Miami because they're the best team in their eyes. Not that it's not ok to root for a team outside your city, no, not at all. Kevin Durant grew up a Raptors fan, but he hails from Washington D.C., home of the Wizards. At least have a decent reason. These fans don't even know the Heat's starting five! Much less their bench!

I have lost faith in our planet.
Because of what basketball team someone roots for?

# 154 Crystar500 @ 06/11/14 09:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleCrown9
Because of what basketball team someone roots for?
You obviously didn't read what I said. I'm saying that people root for the Heat without actually knowing anything about basketball as a whole. I'm fine with people liking the Heat, I just don't like it when people like them because they're "the best". At least know their starting five.

And that was simply a phrase used on the internet a lot.

# 155 lilteapot @ 06/11/14 09:58 PM
Quote:
You obviously didn't read what I said. I'm saying that people root for the Heat without actually knowing anything about basketball as a whole. I'm fine with people liking the Heat, I just don't like it when people like them because they're "the best". At least know their starting five.

Honestly who CARES? Why should it matter to you why someone likes the team they like? This is just sports fandom, it doesn't need to be an "honorable" process.

# 156 jmillhimes @ 06/12/14 08:49 AM
My biggest complaint with Miami is the way there trying to build this so called dynasty. The big 3 and now rumors of them after Anthony are popping up which makes me even more sick. Im a Spurs fan, but even I wouldnt condone a championship this way. Swallowing up all the talent???

If the players take a pay cut and agree to work together for a championship it may sound legit but it tarnishes the league. We didnt see this years ago and I think the hatred as a whole should be directed at the players not the NBA. I think the championships earned just by getting a group of All stars together are astriked either way. It maybe fun to talk about and do on a Video game but hell....why pay for scouts and trainers when you dont utilize them

# 157 Jeffx @ 06/12/14 09:49 AM
Quote:

But that's always going to happen when a team is on top. I saw it with Jordan's Bulls and the Shaq/Kobe Lakers.

# 158 I Djm @ 06/13/14 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ojandpizza
Durant shouldn't join Miami, he is on a team currently with just as much talent top to bottom.

okc and indy are almost in the same position good starters lackluster or underused bench players

# 159 ojandpizza @ 06/13/14 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Djm
okc and indy are almost in the same position good starters lackluster or underused bench players

Under used is the best term. Both those squads have talented benches.. OKC's problem in particular is nobody on the team knows their damn role. Those guys come in and just so the same thing their starters do. Perkins seems to be the only guy on the time with a defined role. Excluding Russ, KD, and Ibaka of course.

# 160 Strangerstake @ 06/13/14 01:16 PM
Quote:

I hear you man, but then there are still fans like myself (who dont live in US but still follow NBA). I started watching NBA back in 2006-07 and honestly Lebron impressed me and since that day I have been supporting him since, in Cle and Mia.

People who dont have any home teams tend to root for the winners and it is the case in all sports. Im not exactly a bandwagoner, I supported Lebron during his rise and fall and now I just think that we should leave him alone and just let him play. The hate clearly does not effect him so why waste your energy?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.