Home
Madden NFL 15 News Post

Polygon's Samit Sarkar interviewed Seann Graddy, line producer of Madden NFL 15 and asked him why tattoos are making their way back to the Madden series and what was the reason for their disappearance.

Many people figured it was a licensing agreement with EA and the NFL, but that is not the case. According to Seann, it comes down to copyright infringement. The player needs to secure permission from the artist first, which Kaepernick did, before EA can even begin to implement the tattoos into the game.

Quote:
For now, Kaepernick is the only player who will appear in Madden 15 with his authentic tattoos, because he's the only one who has obtained the permissions from the artists involved. "We want to do this with every player, frankly, and we're hopeful that more players over time actually go out and secure the rights so that we can use their tattoos as well," said Graddy.

If another players wants his tattoos in the game, they need to go through the same process as Kaepernick. Since the game is almost complete, the odds of getting anyone else in the game with authentic tattoos is slim. We'll most likely see more players with tattoos in Madden NFL 16.

Game: Madden NFL 15Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 42 - View All
Madden NFL 15 Videos
Member Comments
# 141 Caveman24 @ 06/06/14 12:38 PM
"OMG there finally listening to us!"

# 142 Skyboxer @ 06/06/14 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrimeTime
While agree with most of what you are saying I do believe that the NFL approached EA about the exclusive license. 2k was selling the game for what 25 bucks brand new, and that in term hurt the NFLs bottom line
$19.99
I bought 2.

# 143 vpizzle28 @ 06/06/14 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrimeTime
My bad. I was 13 or 14 when it came out and I remember my mom buying it for me instead of madden bc it was cheaper lol.
I remember that day like it was yesterday. Walked into the EB Games, and the guy asked me if I liked football? I said yes and he said that NFL 2K just came out and it was $20. I ran home, got $20 from my mom and went back and got it. (was waiting for Madden). Needless to say, I didn't buy Madden until I got my X-mas money that year. I played 2K for hours everyday!

# 144 GQVikesFan @ 06/06/14 01:40 PM
Can EA just use generic tattoos for players for the time being until they get their waivers signed off too? Madden for the PS2 used generic tats too.

# 145 blackadder33 @ 06/06/14 02:57 PM
Surely the most agreeable and friendly "legal" option for all involved is for EA to simply include a proper player editor in the game, so we can add any tattoo designs we like for ourselves? Not just that, but being able to edit faces, hairstyles, beards etc as we like? Haha.. of course, I jest! EA will never do that "simple" thing for us, will they? Oh no... milk the customers for every penny we can squeeze out of them muahahahahaaa! Oh well, hopefully some clever friendly person will release an NFL 15 editor tool if EA refuse to do it?

# 146 Skyboxer @ 06/06/14 03:31 PM
An editor like what Forza has where we could create pretty much any design would be stellar.

# 147 ForUntoOblivionSoar∞ @ 06/06/14 04:07 PM
BLAH BLAH THE NFL WON'T ALLOW TATTOOS BLAH BHAL.

I've been saying it for years. This wasn't an NFL restriction that started with the exclusive license. If it was, why did they have generic tattoos in the PS2 version of the game long after the exclusive license?

The reason is and always has been two fold:

(1) Tattoo artists and their rights

and

(2) It either took too much time and/or was too lame to use generic tattoos.

One thing I am pretty pleased with: they darkened the 49ers uniforms, particularly the pants. Hopefully it isn't a lighting trick, because Madden 25 was WAY off there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tha_show256
Guys it's not at all EA here...read the article. He's the only one that went out and got permission from his tatto artist. Everyone else needs to do the same so they can have their tats in. They said they are approaching more guys about dong this. Man, all the hate on EA is horrible. Sometimes, I feel Madden and EA will never please most of you all geesh...
Yeah, there is this. Kaepernick is the only one who cared enough about his tattoos to do it. It fits though, given the controversy they caused by that racist reporter last year.

# 148 clipperfan811 @ 06/06/14 08:09 PM
Seriously, what is our society coming to? Tattoo artists suing for copyright infringement? What kind of precedent does that set? SMH money makes people such vile creatures.

# 149 mmorg @ 06/06/14 08:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by clipperfan811
Seriously, what is our society coming to? Tattoo artists suing for copyright infringement? What kind of precedent does that set? SMH money makes people such vile creatures.
If it's an original creation they have a right to protect their work, just as any other original work of art.

# 150 The_Balm @ 06/06/14 09:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by allstardad
Reading the press release, it says that Kaepernick will be the only one with "authentic" tattoos, so I'm guessing that other players with visible tattoos will have generic ones?
I hope so, but I doubt it. I think the press release is using authentic as a buzzword.

# 151 Aggies7 @ 06/06/14 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Balm
I hope so, but I doubt it. I think the press release is using authentic as a buzzword.

Would be nice if they give us option to create a tattoo. Or add generic ones to add to our player. But honestly tattoos are no where near top of my wishlist.

# 152 HumanCheatcode @ 06/06/14 11:15 PM
Thats what I first thought when I first saw this picture is that I haven't ever seen a player in madden with tattoos...

# 153 blackngoldfan @ 06/07/14 02:45 AM
This is just a way for EA to add another bullet point to the back of the box. "Authentic tattoos - See your favorite player come to life more than ever before with photo realistic tattoos." Unfortunately, they won't mention that only one player has them.

# 154 SageInfinite @ 06/07/14 07:30 PM
I wonder if Kaepernick will have his red and gold cleats.....

# 155 kehlis @ 06/07/14 08:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr
Other publishers have been sued already for this sort of thing. Can't blame EA here.
EA deserves their fair share of blame for a lot of things but there are a lot of people here that will blame them for EVERYTHING, such as the post you quoted.

I've just learned to live with it.

# 156 Crazydavid212 @ 06/08/14 05:49 AM
i like them but if he's going to be the only person wearing them, then i see why people are saying it will look weird if only one person is wearing them.

# 157 andyacecandy @ 06/09/14 01:17 AM
There is no way every player in NBA 2k14 got permission from their tattoo artists... lol

# 158 roadman @ 06/09/14 01:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyacecandy
There is no way every player in NBA 2k14 got permission from their tattoo artists... lol
It's already been explained in this thread that the NFLPA is different than the players union in the NBA.

# 159 PacMan3000 @ 06/09/14 01:44 AM
Why not just give the players who have tattoos fake in-game tattoos? I mean, it's cool that Colin's tats are in the game, but most people don't follow the 49ers so closely that they know them exactly. And from a further camera angle, you really wouldn't be able to tell. But at least you would have more player individuality - - like hand towels or arm bands or mouthguards provide.

# 160 BobbyColtrane @ 06/09/14 03:12 PM
EA Sports GETS. EVERY. SINGLE. THING. WRONG.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.