Home
Madden NFL 15 News Post

Following yesterday's deluge of Madden NFL 15 info, it's only right to follow that up with another day of extensive details on the game, including hands-on impressions from our friends over at GoodGameBro.

The first thing you will notice about the game is that, "for the first time in a long while I feel as if Madden NFL finally gives us a “full” experience on the field, something it hasn’t done in quite some time."

The defense is the star of the gameplay for sure, with noticeable improvements at every turn. The defensive line play receives high praise, as does the tackling for adding something to the defensive side of the ball that the series has been missing for quite some time.

The tackling and defensive line aren't the only things which have received treatment. The article states that the zone coverage A.I. is completely rewritten and actually works. In one anecdote about Corey's time with the game, "Seattle was incredibly tough to beat in their Cover 3, and players reacted to passes in a much more realistic manner."

A few more gems:

On adaptive A.I.: "Another solid improvement comes with a new Adaptive AI system, that helps create an environment where the CPU can start to read how you’re controlling your offense. The days of running “Strong Power” to the outside are over, as CPU opponents will pick up on repeated plays as the game moves forward. To test this, I purposely ran 4 HB screens in a row to see what would happen. The first one went for a gain of 12, the second went for a gain of 4, the third was stuffed right away for an incompletion and the fourth attempt was picked-off for a TD."

The tackle cone can be toggled on and off, with the plan to set it to off for the higher difficulties.

On QB Accuracy: "QB accuracy was completely re-written, and now ratings will play a much bigger role in just how successful a throw will be. In short, a ball can go almost anywhere now. You won’t see passes to a receiver’s numbers 100% of the time. In fact, you’ll see low passes, passes behind the target, errant throws, over-throws, bouncers and wobbly spirals."

Kick Meter: "Kick meter is much like the Tiger Woods PGA Tour swing mechanic. You still pull back and then forward, but if you aim left or right, you have to actually coordinate your stick movement in that direction, meaning a kick left to right needs a diagonal left to diagonal right press. The more severe the angle, the further you push the stick off-center."

Be sure to check out the full article on GoodGameBro for tons of other details!

Game: Madden NFL 15Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 42 - View All
Madden NFL 15 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 JKSportsGamer1984 @ 06/10/14 12:16 PM
Reading these impressions got me hyped for the game! Sounds like EA really stepped it up this year. Still disappointing not to hear them adding True Step for all 22 players or SIGNATURE RUNNING ANIMATIONS / BALL CARRYING STYLES but everything else sounds great.

# 2 roadman @ 06/10/14 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKSportsGamer1984
Reading these impressions got me hyped for the game! Sounds like EA really stepped it up this year. Still disappointing not to hear them adding True Step for all 22 players or SIGNATURE RUNNING ANIMATIONS / BALL CARRYING STYLES but everything else sounds great.
Do you have a link to someone stating no True Step? I asked one of the GCer's and they thought it was in the game for all 22?

Maybe they were mistaken?

# 3 C the Lyte @ 06/10/14 12:27 PM
I feel like I've read that same article for the past 5 or so years...

# 4 m1ke_nyc @ 06/10/14 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Do you have a link to someone stating no True Step? I asked one of the GCer's and they thought it was in the game for all 22?

Ive seen Clint tweet someone that it wasnt in for all players at the level it is for the ball carrier.

# 5 ch46647 @ 06/10/14 12:33 PM
Quote:

I asked Clint Oldenberg yesterday on Twitter and he was kind enough to respond saying that there were no additions to locomotion or "True Step" this year. I appreciate his honesty, but I really do not understand why the Madden team cannot nail down player movement.

Player movement is the foundation for every other aspect of a sports game. The NHL team just entirely re-vamped their locomotion system two years ago and player movement is supposed to be a pillar of the new Ignite Engine. (Its is great on the new UFC and FIFA has always had great movment)

This leads me to believe that the locomotion/animation system was botched so badly in 06' that there is literally nothing they can do to fix the code without throwing off the balance of the entire game.

IMO, the Madden team should take an entire development cycle and completely re-vamp the locomotion/running and animation system. It is clearly the biggest thorn in the Madden teams side and Madden cannot play or look realistic without proper movement and animations.

Please EA, fix these two areas of the game. It is the foundation of everything and you cannot make legitimate strides until these areas are re-vamped.

# 6 roadman @ 06/10/14 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch46647
I asked Clint Oldenberg yesterday on Twitter and he was kind enough to respond saying that there were no additions to locomotion or "True Step" this year. I appreciate his honesty, but I really do not understand why the Madden team cannot nail down player movement.

Player movement is the foundation for every other aspect of a sports game. The NHL team just entirely re-vamped their locomotion system two years ago and player movement is supposed to be a pillar of the new Ignite Engine. (Its is great on the new UFC and FIFA has always had great movment)

This leads me to believe that the locomotion/animation system was botched so badly in 06' that there is literally nothing they can do to fix the code without throwing off the balance of the entire game.

IMO, the Madden team should take an entire development cycle and completely re-vamp the locomotion/running and animation system. It is clearly the biggest thorn in the Madden teams side and Madden cannot play or look realistic without proper movement and animations.

Please EA, fix these two areas of the game. It is the foundation of everything and you cannot make legitimate strides until these areas are re-vamped.
I'll take the word of an employee over a GCer, but this is where I found my information.

http://traditionsportsonline.com/thr...-means.111074/

# 7 chris luva luva @ 06/10/14 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by C the Lyte
I feel like I've read that same article for the past 5 or so years...

Damn, I came here just to post this. It's the same article over and over, I swear. He didn't even constructively critique anything, he just loved it all.

# 8 chris luva luva @ 06/10/14 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch46647
Correct me if I"m wrong but it seems as though they're building on a broken foundation. Hell, it's evident in the article linked by the OP. Years ago they add 4 Billion WR animations but they were never seen because the QB's don't utilize them. How in the hell was THAT NOT DISCOVERED DURING Q&A?! How can you add that many animations and never see them trigger during development!?

How can the gaming-media justify the good ratings when they're being lied to? Someone in a position of power has to call a spade a spade. I've done my part, I don't buy this garbage anymore.

# 9 roadman @ 06/10/14 01:13 PM
Just an FYI, the CGer that I've been in communication with said this about Clint's comment:

I think he is probably talking about OL/DL interaction, reach tackles and gang tackles.

??

# 10 The JareBear @ 06/10/14 01:14 PM
This all sounds fine but I don't get that excited over reading impressions anymore. I mostly just read them to learn new information or new features that I wasn't aware of before. Bottom line is, and maybe I am wrong, it seems to me like if someone was given access to the game and decided, "Wow, this sucks, and I am gonna tell the world about it" those people probably wouldn't get access ever again. Just saying. I can't help but feel that way.

The proof is in the pudding. Let's see some gameplay. Don't tell me. Show me.

# 11 rkocjay @ 06/10/14 01:40 PM
the wind FINALLY works after how many years smh im always been a fan of madden but this long for something so simple but waiting for gameplay

# 12 Official_Mole @ 06/10/14 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris luva luva
Correct me if I"m wrong but it seems as though they're building on a broken foundation. Hell, it's evident in the article linked by the OP. Years ago they add 4 Billion WR animations but they were never seen because the QB's don't utilize them. How in the hell was THAT NOT DISCOVERED DURING Q&A?! How can you add that many animations and never see them trigger during development!?

How can the gaming-media justify the good ratings when they're being lied to? Someone in a position of power has to call a spade a spade. I've done my part, I don't buy this garbage anymore.

First off, its "QA" not "Q&A." But to answer your question, due to the fact that QBs would throw the ball right in the numbers of your WRs, TEs, RBs, etc when accurate it only triggered so many catch animations. By allowing the QB to throw the ball to your intended receiver in various spots surrounding his body, it opens up more catch animations.

# 13 MAGboyswifT27 @ 06/10/14 01:45 PM
Positive post, I'm going to stay optimistic and realistic at the same time and hope for the best. If what Goodgamebro is saying is true, then we may be able to get a good product this season..

# 14 roadman @ 06/10/14 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
On adaptive A.I.: "Another solid improvement comes with a new Adaptive AI system, that helps create an environment where the CPU can start to read how you’re controlling your offense. The days of running “Strong Power” to the outside are over, as CPU opponents will pick up on repeated plays as the game moves forward. To test this, I purposely ran 4 HB screens in a row to see what would happen. The first one went for a gain of 12, the second went for a gain of 4, the third was stuffed right away for an incompletion and the fourth attempt was picked-off for a TD."

I know I have to temper my expectations until this is actually proven with gameplay footage but it is nice to finally read about adaptive AI again. I hope this applies to ALL AI/CPU controlled players/teammates, including User controlled teams, not just those on a CPU controlled teams.
Big, I've read the same on curl routes, zone coverage. Last year and prior years, 9 out of 10 times, it was a completion. I've heard that's not an issue anymore, but I need to see it and feel it first.

# 15 chris luva luva @ 06/10/14 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Official_Mole
First off, its "QA" not "Q&A." But to answer your question, due to the fact that QBs would throw the ball right in the numbers of your WRs, TEs, RBs, etc when accurate it only triggered so many catch animations. By allowing the QB to throw the ball to your intended receiver in various spots surrounding his body, it opens up more catch animations.
Maybe if EA was as anal about the quality of their QA as you are about my misuse of the term Q&A, maybe they would have learned that all their work was for nothing.

I understand why the animations didn't trigger. I didn't know you to reiterate that for me. I want to know HOW EA didn't realize that during the dev cycle? How can you test these new animations you've created if they're not triggering during gameplay? Or do diff areas of the team dev their portions of the game within a vacuum?

I'd like to go back and read the impressions from these in-house demo sessions and see if the reporters were accurate. Either they were lying, or they played a diff build than what was shipped. I don't blame anyone who takes this write-up with a huge grain of salt.

Maybe in 2018, we'll find out that the QB's being able to throw the ball to different areas of the WR is actually tied to another element of the game. And then we'll get the WR animations.

# 16 jmurphy31 @ 06/10/14 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal

I know I have to temper my expectations until this is actually proven with gameplay footage but it is nice to finally read about adaptive AI again. I hope this applies to ALL AI/CPU controlled players/teammates, including User controlled teams, not just those on a CPU controlled teams.
If this is the case, it would be a huge positive in single player CFM.

# 17 Official_Mole @ 06/10/14 02:13 PM
Quote:
Maybe if EA was as anal about the quality of their QA as you are about my misuse of the term Q&A, maybe they would have learned that all their work was for nothing.

I understand why the animations didn't trigger. I didn't know you to reiterate that for me. I want to know HOW EA didn't realize that during the dev cycle? How can you test these new animations you've created if they're not triggering during gameplay? Or do diff areas of the team dev their portions of the game within a vacuum?

I'd like to go back and read the impressions from these in-house demo sessions and see if the reporters were accurate. Either they were lying, or they played a diff build than what was shipped. I don't blame anyone who takes this write-up with a huge grain of salt.

Maybe in 2018, we'll find out that the QB's being able to throw the ball to different areas of the WR is actually tied to another element of the game. And then we'll get the WR animations.

You'll get more animations simply by the fact that the ball can be thrown at the receiver in different areas.

# 18 chris luva luva @ 06/10/14 02:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Official_Mole
You'll get more animations simply by the fact that the ball can be thrown at the receiver in different areas.
Maybe you're not understanding me, or maybe I'm not being clear. Why did it take them two years to figure this out? What happened during their QA in 2013 that allowed them to not NOTICE THAT 400 ANIMATIONS WEREN'T TRIGGERING? lol How is that even remotely excusable?

And then we have this...

http://www.operationsports.com/previ...gine-hands-on/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Noah
I must have seen at least 60 different animations in what little time I had to play with Madden last night, but every one of them made me smile.
Like I said, either we question the integrity of the testers or we question the builds they're given to play during these sessions.

# 19 Official_Mole @ 06/10/14 02:22 PM
Quote:
Maybe you're not understanding me, or maybe I'm not being clear. Why did it take them two years to figure this out?

And then we have this...

http://www.operationsports.com/previ...gine-hands-on/

Like I said, either we question the integrity of the testers or we question the builds they're given to play during these sessions.

Honestly I can't answer that because I don't know why. I've only been a part of the QA Team since February and before that I was in the EA SPORTS Game Changers. All I can tell you is that the Pass Inaccuracy will open up more catching animations.

# 20 Demoncrom @ 06/10/14 02:22 PM
Quote:

the podcast said that old techs are being improved but not discussed so maybe this is included.

« Previous1234Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.