Home
Madden NFL 15 News Post

IGN posted their full gameplay stream of Madden NFL 15 complete with full gameplay. Here are some thoughts I had while watching the video through. Beware this is an early build of the game and some of the things which don't seem right could easily be fixed by the time of release.

I'd recommend listing anything you find with the hopes it might get fixed by the time release gets here. Here are some of my notes:
  • Kick meter is interesting, definitely inspired by Tiger Woods.
  • QB Run-Outs with real video is quite awesome. Wonder how they'll solve that with franchise draftees/etc.?
  • The game is much smoother now that there aren't any cut-scenes. The transitions are much better between plays.
  • Jump snap seems ok. It's a gamey thing, but it's one of those things Madden's defense has needed for years.
  • The DL/OL interactions are definitely improved. They're still not perfect, but they're definitely the best we've ever seen in a football game.
  • On the first user sack, it definitely looks like the d-lineman worked his way past the OL and left the OL standing there. That needs to be fixed, if an OL lets his assignment through, he's not going to return to blocking air. This actually seems to be a big problem in the trenches, kind of negates the other positives. Oops. Going to chalk this up to being an early build.
  • Switching cameras in game...that's a small but very significant change.
  • The new playcalling system is a huge change. Thankfully EA has left the playcalls by formation and play type in. They've added Coach Suggestions, Concept, and I believe Personnel is new but I'd have to refresh my memory (I'm a play-type guy).
  • For all of the talk of lower QB accuracy, Kaepernick and Wilson certainly don't miss much. I know they're really good QBs, but I was halfway expecting to see a few more 'off' throws.
  • Coverage seems about the same honestly from the couch viewpoint. There wasn't enough to really go off of, and this could be because that aspect isn't fully tuned or possibly because of difficulty concerns. But I didn't see much that seemed too different from previous Maddens.
  • Dropping back 20 yards and throwing still works but it's entirely possible this was on a lower difficulty...maybe.
  • Finally towards the end Kaepernick misses a throw to the corner and its almost picked. He was definitely a bit off balance. Again this could be due to difficulty levels being lower.
  • The matchup stick is actually really awesome. You can see where players have advantages on the field in real time.
  • Overall the game is more fluid than last year and definitely looks better. The defensive mechanics look like they add some new level to the game -- but exactly how much will only be able to be determined by some firsthand playtime.
Overall

It's far from bad, also just as far from truly great. Madden NFL 15 will be a Madden game through and through, and as I've said many times you either have to live with that or go without football video games right now if you don't like it -- Madden isn't changing its core style/pacing at this point. This will be another step forward for the series almost certainly, and if the modes offer some interesting/good experiences it could be a good year for the series once again.

What do you all think of the gameplay shown in the video?

Game: Madden NFL 15Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 42 - View All
Madden NFL 15 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 BenGerman @ 06/11/14 10:52 PM
The game does look much better. The graphics have reached a level that I think does the sport justice.

That said, it also looks awful as soon as things start moving. There were literally four or five times where a player would be "standing" in place, whether after a play, or right in the middle of one, and they would just start floating a few feet in another direction. When you are making a game that is 75% about player movement, how does that happen?

QB animations look the same. Isn't that something they said they would work on for this year? Running animations look the same. It's funny to watch a pack of players running all with the exact same animation. No jostling in the secondary. Player interaction as a whole still looks messed up.

The good news is, this game isn't even close to being enough of a leap for me to feel bad about plugging NCAA in and playing it, this year.

# 22 poster @ 06/11/14 10:52 PM
The offensive linemen quitting or blocking air after they are beaten was an issue last year as well. I asked Clint last year on twitter and he was kind enough to reply back. He acknowledged it was an issue they were looking to patch if possible. Well that never happened and it is an issue again, so I assume that this is another player interaction issue that they cannot fix.

I know they are trying, but they can't brag about being full on sim, and then leave basic football interaction issues like this in their game. Full on sim means starting over and fixing these issues instead of trying to cover them up.

# 23 brown19 @ 06/11/14 10:55 PM
i disagree with this o line d line being the best in a football game all-pro football 2k8 still reigns supreme in that regard. and from this video it still is way behind all-pro in a lot of areas. but it does look real good!! but a great looking football game is not better then a great game of football that plays like football! just my opinion..

# 24 JKSportsGamer1984 @ 06/11/14 10:59 PM
Absolutely love the new default ZOOM cam! I can't tell you how long i've been waiting for this exact gameplay view in Madden. It's perfect & a thing of beauty! Everything looks much improved as expected. I noticed a few bugs (frozen player at about the 12 minute mark, some clipping/morphing post play, still occasional sloppy physics, etc..) The running animations still need some work. Hopefully they can make the sidelines look better next year (increase their graphic fidelity, add numbers to the back of their jerseys, not make everything so synchronized, add cheerleaders, etc..) Overall I was impressed.

Oh, and why is Russell Wilson so dark?

# 25 dat boi Q @ 06/11/14 10:59 PM
The game looks good in a lot of areas I must say.

# 26 T5063 @ 06/11/14 11:02 PM
The thing that worries me the most is the qb intro. What happens if you're playing CFM and you're starting a back up or a fictitious drafted player?

# 27 Tengo Juego @ 06/11/14 11:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch46647
The NHL team went through a complete locomotion (skating) overhaul two years ago and did a phenomenal job. I am sure the Madden developers could do this as well if they made it a priority.
Madden went through the same thing, remember? And still got it wrong.

# 28 SageInfinite @ 06/11/14 11:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by poster
The offensive linemen quitting or blocking air after they are beaten was an issue last year as well. I asked Clint last year on twitter and he was kind enough to reply back. He acknowledged it was an issue they were looking to patch if possible. Well that never happened and it is an issue again, so I assume that this is another player interaction issue that they cannot fix.

I know they are trying, but they can't brag about being full on sim, and then leave basic football interaction issues like this in their game. Full on sim means starting over and fixing these issues instead of trying to cover them up.
Same thing I pointed out in the other video thread as well. A 3 man rush and 2 defenders beat double teams for the sack because the lineman just gave up. This really shouldn't still be an issue if lineplay is what they've worked on 2 years in a row.

# 29 johnnyg713 @ 06/11/14 11:13 PM
So if you look at 13:20 in the vid. Seahawks are playing zone and on the left side of the field Crabtree does a slant and actually gets bumped by the LB as he runs through his zone. Forgive me if this isn't new but I haven't played madden 25.

# 30 dat boi Q @ 06/11/14 11:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
Same thing I pointed out in the other video thread as well. A 3 man rush and 2 defenders beat double teams for the sack because the lineman just gave up. This really shouldn't still be an issue if lineplay is what they've worked on 2 years in a row.
That's why I can see the new jumping the snap feature being a problem. If jumping the snap mean u automatically get to the QB we are going to see a lot of players running three lineman knowing that if they jump the snap right they will get to the QB even through double team pass blocking.

# 31 The JareBear @ 06/11/14 11:15 PM
So far it seems pretty clear that we can safely expect a game that looks much better than M25 but plays about the same. That being good or bad depends on the gamer.

# 32 TheBleedingRed21 @ 06/11/14 11:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The JareBear
So far it seems pretty clear that we can safely expect a game that looks much better than M25 but plays about the same. That being good or bad depends on the gamer.
Be cautious of saying it will be the same exact gameplay but just look better.

Everyone said (including me) that Madden 25 PS4 is the same exact game as PS3.. well, we had our foots in our mouths after playing it. It usually feels a hell of a lot better when playing regardless of it looking the same. The PS4 Madden 25 blew the PS3 version out the water.

# 33 woody47 @ 06/11/14 11:22 PM
Does the nba have different licensing than nfl? Dude made it se
Complicated for athletes to get their tattoos in madden while nba players get
All of theirs scanned.

# 34 johnnyg713 @ 06/11/14 11:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by poster

I see the issues with the Seahawks offensive line but user offensive line does a very good job protecting. That's why I believe it's being played at a low difficulty. Take a look at 14:25. IMO the ol/dl interaction as a whole looks just as good as all pro. 2 double teams, one dt is completely knocked down. DE on the right gets cut and the DE on the left does a good job trying to get inside but is held up. Only issue I have is that kap should have been sacked because he went too far back and the DE should have run a better angle. IMO it's being played at pro, maybe even rookie.

# 35 MAGboyswifT27 @ 06/11/14 11:27 PM
Presentation+
Camera views+
Nantz and Simms/Coaches look like last year's game, look bad to me..-
1st Parvin KORET didn't look fluid (robotic, choppy..) -
(When the camera view switches to Standard view..)
I liked Lynch's BPU, hit stick tackle looked the same with the CB like jam/throw your arms out and tackle movement.. Def AI.. ehhh and what I mean by that is the zone drops look the same as last year's game. When the last NCAA came out to me I could see and feel the differences with zone drops, coverages, and AI.. It may be too early to judge but that's what I see, maybe it'll change or be the same come release.-
Harvin's Drag Route:Going back to the Def AI, FS kept dropping back in his middle 1/3 rather then come up to Harvin's drag for the big hit or INT. A corner and dig route was ran on the other side so why would the FS keep dropping deep in his 1/3? As for the CB (Wright) Idk why or what he was doing..?? Let him catch and get first downs.. That just reminds me of earlier posts talking about WR/DB interaction, no jams or battles at the LOS, etc-
Option to turn off tackle cone+
QB rib cage protector still looks like a tube..- (or are my eyes bad!? lol)
Def Player Lock Cam+
DL change up with the get offs and button mashes are different, cool, but I have this Rockband like nostalgia with that control. The RS for example could be used and I'd have more control with my DL moves. 2K and the Show does it with dribbling and pitching, why not DL moves, OL blocks, etc? -
Play call screens looked real nice+
Curl routes still $ routes huh..??- -
Justin Smith sack, nice but OL play, wow, really!? - - (can't seem to address the OL issues..)
WR cuts are too easy, not realistic. -
I will cut some slack for EA with the shortened cycle+
Those camera views at times where we see people or yard markers in our way. - -
Default Camera++ (w/easy access to change camera view)
I wasn't going to put this but I changed my mind, give some life to the coaches whether it's Pete Carroll's chewing gum, Harabaugh's faces or weird faces, etc I mean this is next-gen right? -
I wish the dreads (Sherman for example) looked like his in real life or other people's dread, long hair, etc looked right. Not the NCAA Predator type but the details that we look for in our sport games.-
Running game the same, I never had a problem with it before but some minor things could've been changed, some RBs guide their way through a hole by leading the blocker or holding onto his back.. small stuff like that.. -
Speaking of tattoos, wouldn't that be awesome if players could get their rights to their tats, and it'd be added on. I mean 2K has every tat, I know, I know, there aren't that many players in the NBA like there are on NFL rosters. Maybe just the key/star players? It would add to the authenticity of the NFL game.
I didn't notice any inaccurate throws by either QB or am I missing something?
Matchup stick is awesome! ++ (for us former athlete/football nerds, etc)

I didn't think I was going to do this with the video and again my thoughts and opinions is just what I'm feelin' at the time. There are a lot of good stuff to what I've seen and read the last few days. It's still not perfect and it hasn't been for some time. I don't think Madden/NFL/football fans in general, troll or hate for no reason. If you think about it, back in the day when we were growing up, we loved our NCAA/NFL games! They were innovative and it made you love playing the game of football! I think that's why we break these down so much and to the casual fan they could say, "fan boy football guys are annoying as.." but we're passionate about our games and we want them to be everything we could ever want in a game, like it used to be. Especially if we're paying money every year for a product that we expect to be good. Sorry for long post but I had to I guess. Is there any way to send or post wishlists for EA to see? Just curious, late!

# 36 Moegames @ 06/11/14 11:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKSportsGamer1984
Absolutely love the new default ZOOM cam! I can't tell you how long i've been waiting for this exact gameplay view in Madden. It's perfect & a thing of beauty! Everything looks much improved as expected. I noticed a few bugs (frozen player at about the 12 minute mark, some clipping/morphing post play, still occasional sloppy physics, etc..) The running animations still need some work. Hopefully they can make the sidelines look better next year (increase their graphic fidelity, add numbers to the back of their jerseys, not make everything so synchronized, add cheerleaders, etc..) Overall I was impressed.

Oh, and why is Russell Wilson so dark?
I agree about the new zoom cam..its damn near perfect now and adjusts for passing and running on the fly...love that.

I see a lot of new animations in there but there are still some times where i see duplicate animations going on with two players at the same time...eh, i sure hope they clean that up because it sticks out like a soar thumb...something tells me its just a bug in the demo because the demo never has all the animations included,etc

But overall ...the new player models are a HUGE HUGE IMPROVEMENT....its about dang time they re-did the player models....they look GREAT now! And there is much more bump mapping to the uniforms that help so much ..compared to the last madden that came out on PS4 launch...its night and day difference.

About gameplay...well its too hard to tell still but i did see some nice improvements "I believe" i seen some nice improvements i should say.

I really think getting a new guy from the NFL to take care of the presentation stuff was a HUGE help for the madden game which in previous years had NO SOUL, NO LIFE,etc...now its alive.

Lets hope they work on those animations some more and make sure they all flow together and that the D A.I. is really improve as they say its going to be. The Offense was fairly decent already...but it needs work too!

Overall im feeling pretty good about it but i will hold my breath until i see much more game footage.

Peace

# 37 cnballard0531 @ 06/11/14 11:49 PM
The game looks incredible and I hope they provide some easy to learn content for all the new features to help the learning curve.

# 38 NicVirtue @ 06/11/14 11:49 PM
If it's of any use to anyone, I've slowed down all the plays for examination.

# 39 charter04 @ 06/12/14 12:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordtobigbird
i think we have a much better base to work with. i thought i read that the cone is off on all-pro on default but maybe thats all madden. because if that was the case we could tell they are definitely on pro. but either way they aren't on the highest.

but things we were trying to do with sliders last year are already happening in this video so for me im happy with that. i dont have to try to increase the pass rush anymore or make the QBs more inaccurate or try to make coverage perfect. Trying to make the CPU run defense exist. I think we are going to get a much more well rounded game than we got with M25 just from a couple of those stand points.

Yep I agree. I assume it's pro or lower. I also like a lot of other things but, the OP already mentioned those. It's nice to see these videos but, until we all get to play it for a few games it's hard to say. I feel good about this year.

# 40 charter04 @ 06/12/14 12:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dat boi Q
That's why I can see the new jumping the snap feature being a problem. If jumping the snap mean u automatically get to the QB we are going to see a lot of players running three lineman knowing that if they jump the snap right they will get to the QB even through double team pass blocking.

Wouldn't it be easy to hard count and draw them offsides? This was against the CPU on pro or rookie.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.