Home
Madden NFL 15 News Post

While there has some some question as to the status of the exclusivity of the Madden license, owing to the fact the last mention of the license by EA only said there were a number of years left on it with no mention of exclusivity. That was never a guarantee that the license wasn't exclusive, as EA hadn't mentioned in official documents that the license was either extended or exclusive since the initial deal -- the news of the prior extension was never fully confirmed by EA.

Expecting a different approach where EA held a pomp and circumstance parade has led to a rash of unfounded rumors that another competitor, namely 2K, was developing a football game. There was even an unfounded expectation that 2K might even debut a football title at E3.

However, the biggest news to come out of the 2K camp at E3 might have been Ronnie2K confirming that not only was 2K not working on a football game, but that the license was still exclusively owned by 'someone else.'

This isn't surprising, considering the NFL license being open for other partners would have almost certainly leaked by now by someone. The current deal's term length which has been widely speculated and rumored is that Madden still has two to three years in its current deal, pushing the game well into this new generation.

It still remains unlikely, even if the license was open, that a competitor could rise up to compete with Madden in any reasonable amount of time given the more advanced needs of today's sports gaming audience. Thus, given the license's current status, it is possible that any possible competitor wouldn't be ready for release for at least 18-24 months after the license was actually acquired by someone, which puts the most reasonable timeframe for a Madden competitor at least four to five years from now, if ever. The most likely scenario remains that EA and Madden will remain the only major NFL gaming option on big box consoles for the foreseeable future.

Game: Madden NFL 15Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 42 - View All
Madden NFL 15 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 The JareBear @ 06/13/14 12:53 PM
If the license WASN'T exclusive, and 2k DID have free reign to make an NFL Football game, and they choose NOT to make it but still went around calling EA out and criticizing Madden football at big press conferences, I would think that is a clown move too. It goes both ways. The situation in reverse is just as silly.

It's just silly.

# 42 LBzrule @ 06/13/14 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS
Not sure why everyone is up in arms about Rex answering a question posed entirely hypothetically with an entirely hypothetical challenge to an entirely hypothetical opponent. If he had said no comment, got a feeling same people would be up in arms about that too...
What I am not sure of is why people went down that road with HHG and Sim in the first place. I couldn't believe that. I'm not saying Sim is bad for doing so but most of HHG's stuff is completely sensational and people went down the road with him with a smidgen of hope and he led them to this interview for that to be dashed. This is sensationalism at its finest. And even Rex played a part in that sensationalism.

# 43 Jr. @ 06/13/14 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by areobee401
A bunch of you are getting all worked up over nothing.
Imagine the Dolphins signing Tom Brady in his prime to a contract that no one else could afford, then challenging the Patriots to compete with them when they haven't had a team in 10 years. This is what I liken it to.

It was a weak answer to a hypothetical question. Why answer a question like that with a challenge that you know can't come to fruition? It's just stupid.

# 44 SageInfinite @ 06/13/14 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr.
Imagine the Dolphins signing Tom Brady in his prime to a contract that no one else could afford, then challenging the Patriots to compete with them when they haven't had a team in 10 years. This is what I liken it to.

It was a weak answer to a hypothetical question. Why answer a question like that with a challenge that you know can't come to fruition? It's just stupid.
Like hyping up a quarterback challenge to a dude with no arms

# 45 mike24forever @ 06/13/14 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by areobee401
A bunch of you are getting all worked up over nothing.
I completely agree with this. People have been holding out hope for a 2K games since APF 2K8, unfortunately it's not happening. It's time to let it go. Buy Madden or don't...those are the option for the foreseeable future for video football games.

# 46 Jakeness23 @ 06/13/14 01:08 PM
Booooooooo

# 47 LBzrule @ 06/13/14 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike24forever
I completely agree with this. People have been holding out hope for a 2K games since APF 2K8, unfortunately it's not happening. It's time to let it go. Buy Madden or don't...those are the option for the foreseeable future for video football games.
I was not and am not holding out hope for a 2k game. I knew it wasn't happening. I just think Rex not being aware of the sensationalism of HHG and playing into it doesn't look good on his part. The community on the other hand knew of his sensationalism. Why would anyone, when you knew he was as sensational as they come, believe even an ounce of what he was saying? Why?

# 48 SageInfinite @ 06/13/14 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
I was not and am not holding out hope for a 2k game. I knew it wasn't happening. I just think Rex not being aware of the sensationalism of HHG and playing into it doesn't look good on his part. The community on the other hand knew of his sensationalism. Why would anyone, when you knew he was as sensational as they come, believe even an ounce of what he was saying? Why?
Exactly. I had zero hope for 2k coming back. You never want to say never, but we all knew what it was.

The thing is for me it's not about 2k coming back. I just want a quality football game. I couldn't care less who made the game.

# 49 NicVirtue @ 06/13/14 01:19 PM
Right.....because NBA Live did SO well against NBA 2K. Which is why NBA Live is the best, most critically acclaimed basketball game now, and has been for the past decade. Imagine if EA had exclusive rights to the NBA.........Just ponder on that for a minute. It would sell like hot cakes, just like Madden, solely due to the brand name. Yet, there would be people talking about how great NBA Live is, and how people want a perfect game. But you know what, if EA holds the rights forever, the people to blame for them still selling units, is US. Because as a whole keep buying it, and supporting it. We get what we pay for. Until people stop buying it (which lets be honest, won't ever happen) we will always get mediocre NFL football.

# 50 areobee401 @ 06/13/14 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicVirtue
Right.....because NBA Live did SO well against NBA 2K. Which is why NBA Live is the best, most critically acclaimed basketball game now, and has been for the past decade. Imagine if EA had exclusive rights to the NBA.........Just ponder on that for a minute. It would sell like hot cakes, just like Madden, solely due to the brand name. Yet, there would be people talking about how great NBA Live is, and how people want a perfect game. But you know what, if EA holds the rights forever, the people to blame for them still selling units, is US. Because as a whole keep buying it, and supporting it. We get what we pay for. Until people stop buying it (which lets be honest, won't ever happen) we will always get mediocre NFL football.
Not true. I haven't purchased Madden in years. Which brings up the question, why do so many knowingly continue to support something they love to complain about. Stop buying it and spend time with other things.

# 51 kehlis @ 06/13/14 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicVirtue

You're forgetting the crowd that is well beyond "us," the crowd that cares more about how the game plays.

Unfortunately there is a larger group and demographic of customers that do not at all care about the things we do. We could stop buying all we want and it would hardly put a dent in EA. The masses will still buy this game year in and year out.

Best to learn to enjoy what you can rather than yearn to have what you can't.

# 52 noplace @ 06/13/14 01:31 PM
Explains EA's shyt talking the other day @ E3...SMH

# 53 djordan @ 06/13/14 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cusefan
I hope madden gets exclusivity forever, I LOVE MADDEN!!!!

# 54 Skyboxer @ 06/13/14 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
You're forgetting the crowd that is well beyond "us," the crowd that cares more about how the game plays.

Unfortunately there is a larger group and demographic of customers that do not at all care about the things we do. We could stop buying all we want and it would hardly put a dent in EA. The masses will still buy this game year in and year out.

Best to learn to enjoy what you can rather than yearn to have what you can't.
Yep. I love the NFL and love playing an NFL game.
Madden is not perfect by any stretch of the imagination but it's fun for me.
I'll buy day 1 (earlier if I can) because I can live with the shortcoming and have fun.
I'll continue to post constructively about what improvements I want (And for the record I like where it's going for the most part) but as long as I have fun, I'm buying.

# 55 havoc00 @ 06/13/14 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cusefan
I hope madden gets exclusivity forever, I LOVE MADDEN!!!!

# 56 apollon42 @ 06/13/14 02:09 PM
Most of us buy Madden because we love playing football video games and we want to play a new game with current rosters. We buy Madden because it's our only choice. I wouldn't buy NBA Live because I have different choices.

# 57 Skyboxer @ 06/13/14 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by apollon42
Most of us buy Madden because we love playing football video games and we want to play a new game with current rosters. We buy Madden because it's our only choice. I wouldn't buy NBA Live because I have different choices.
In a nut shell.
Again I don't think Madden is near as bad as some want to preach to whoever will listen to them but if there was another choice I'd buy it also.
I say also because I'd still buy both more than likely unless one was IMO tons better.

# 58 Shaffer26 @ 06/13/14 02:23 PM
Terrible news. Even if I loved Madden(I don't), I would want 2K or anyone to make football games. Competition is vital and brings out the most of the competitors.

# 59 roadman @ 06/13/14 02:28 PM
I stated this in the other forum thread, so, I will put it over here, too.

I can see why folks thought it was childish and smuggish of Rex, but I thought the way HHG built up the question, (seemed liked it took a minute to present the question), Rex was just as fired up as HHG was asking the IF question. I also took it as a display of passion, something as LBz mentioned, where the heck has this been the last decade.

Heck, this reminded me of Hasselbeck choosing heads in OT in Lambeau vs the Packers in the playoffs and saying, "We're going to take the ball and win." He didn't realize the refs mic was on. People's reactions and opinions were all over the place. He shouldn't have said that, oh, that's cocky, confidence, etc.......

Do I feel HHG and Rex over dramatized everything? Yes

Will I lose any sleep over it? Heck no.

It was a hypothetical question.

Bad news for NFL football gaming consumers and fans.

We all know for sure now that Madden is marketed as authentic simulation.

# 60 apollon42 @ 06/13/14 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaffer26
Terrible news. Even if I loved Madden(I don't), I would want 2K or anyone to make football games. Competition is vital and brings out the most of the competitors.
There was a point in time like 20 years ago where NFL Gameday was better than Madden. I remember when the PS1 first came out, NFL Gameday blew Madden out of the water. But guess what, because of the competition, EA stepped their game up. I remember when I first got Madden 01 for PS2, it was Amazing. Completely slaughtered NFL 2k. It was good to have choices because competition breeded inovation. The only reason NBA Live redid the faces in their game is because they got embarrassed last year. Otherwise, they would still just be talking about "bounce-tek" and "net physics."

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.