Home
NHL 15 News Post

Check out the latest NHL 15 screenshot featuring Patrice Bergeron. From the looks of it, he didn't get a facial scan.

Game: NHL 15Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 16 - View All
NHL 15 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Moose24x @ 06/22/14 07:00 PM
It's the same very old face they use for him in current gen, just polished up a bit. Still not really what he looks like any more. His cyber in NHL 14 is like 8 years old. He has longer hair and a baby face. He now has a more square jaw, a crew cut and perpetual 5 o'clock shadow, looking about 10 years older. This is the exact same cyber he had all the way back in NHL 2007 or so. It's just more high def now. I will say though, the helmet and overall player model looks great. EA is really terrible with faces and player likeness though. Not sure why they would advertise it as one of this year's wow factors when it's clearly one of their biggest weaknesses. Player faces are either wildly inaccurate or extremely dated and players have no differentiation in how they wear their gear or tape their sticks or whether they're thick or thin or how they stand/skate. Player likeness is definitely not a strong suit for EA.

# 2 Simple Mathematics @ 06/22/14 08:44 PM
That.... that just doesn't look like him.

# 3 actionhank @ 06/22/14 08:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose24x
It's the same very old face they use for him in current gen, just polished up a bit. Still not really what he looks like any more. His cyber in NHL 14 is like 8 years old. He has longer hair and a baby face. He now has a more square jaw, a crew cut and perpetual 5 o'clock shadow, looking about 10 years older. This is the exact same cyber he had all the way back in NHL 2007 or so. It's just more high def now. I will say though, the helmet and overall player model looks great. EA is really terrible with faces and player likeness though. Not sure why they would advertise it as one of this year's wow factors when it's clearly one of their biggest weaknesses. Player faces are either wildly inaccurate or extremely dated and players have no differentiation in how they wear their gear or tape their sticks or whether they're thick or thin or how they stand/skate. Player likeness is definitely not a strong suit for EA.
Agreed. So far, all of the player faces have been pretty disappointing. The jerseys and lighting look incredible, and i don't know that any other game has arenas that look as accurate as the ones in NHL15, but the player faces still look pretty weak. Unless they're just running with old face models until the new ones are in (though this seems odd, since i can't imagine you would show so many screen captures of old models you planned on replacing).

They need to snag someone from FIFA, and one of the guys from the Show and just sit them down with a computer, and some face shots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Mathematics
That.... that just doesn't look like him.

I don't understand EA's logic behind these. Show Subban who looks pretty great. Why do they keep highlighting the faces that don't look very good? Kane and Toews at least looked decent, the video made it seem like Tavares may actually somehow look less like himself than before, though it was hard to tell.

# 4 vvaliaguonk @ 06/22/14 09:11 PM
the video made it seem like Tavares may actually somehow look less like himself than before, though it was hard to tell.

# 5 Pezell04x @ 06/22/14 09:59 PM
Typical.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

# 6 bigwill33 @ 06/23/14 12:29 AM
I really usually never nitpick over a single screenshot, but since it is all that EA feels like dangling at this point then I will point out things like so often happens online.

First thing that I noticed was the ice flying up. I thought, "cool." Then I looked at it for a second longer and said to myself "why is there ice flying everywhere on this pic?" There is hardly a real pic of a hockey game where there is that much ice flying up for three players that aren't all power-stopping for a puck in the crease or something. Tone it down, EA! I get that you want to show off the new graphics cause lord knows you are staying away from the gameplay, but think about what you are showcasing and get it right before you pound your chest about it being upgraded and amazing.

Just my 2 cents.

# 7 PhillyGuy11826 @ 06/23/14 02:11 AM
You can see Bergeron's & Gunnarsson's forearm pads. Pretty cool.

# 8 Comp @ 06/23/14 10:01 AM
Bergy doesn't look like he should be in the Hills Have Eyes in real life...

# 9 hawley088 @ 06/23/14 10:12 AM
great so I can expect claude giroux to still have a generic face

# 10 huntt26 @ 06/23/14 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarstar11
EA is usually really lazy when it comes to creating faces for NHL players.
AND Madden, AND NBA Live. Not surprised. Game looks fantastic otherwise from the little bits we've seen.

# 11 Semipro91 @ 06/23/14 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalbeast08
when will the NHL series be on par with the live series as far as facial scans?
LOL. NBA Live?

# 12 Aggies7 @ 06/23/14 11:55 AM
It's been mentioned already about it not looking like him, which I agree. But outside the face, visually I think it's look more crisp than the past.

# 13 Mgbleu1986 @ 06/23/14 11:58 AM
Looks great!...Now where is the picture of Patrice Burgeron???

# 14 Moose Factory @ 06/23/14 12:34 PM
Off topic, but remember when NHL2k had playoff beards? Such a cool little feature that made a significant immersion feel.

All I can say is that if Brent Burns mountain man face isn't in this game I'm boycotting!

# 15 dlxsf18 @ 06/23/14 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semipro91
LOL. NBA Live?
The player models looked bad in NBA Live 14, but they've been scanning players for 15 and they look pretty good. The standard is FIFA and UFC, though, and it's disappointing we still haven't seen any player likenesses on par with those.

# 16 THESHAMISASHAME @ 06/23/14 01:35 PM
Visually Im very impressed so far as I have no issue with gameplay offline but hopefully they update faces and at least get the starting 20 man rosters in the game and still no new goalie mask designs ?

Is EA really gonna neglect basics like real faces until the ps5
Maybe they just have limited resources but shouldnt having a real face on most players be basic in 2014 ?
Still cant wait till September for this game

# 17 Splitter77 @ 06/23/14 01:35 PM
that looks like bergy from his rookie year.
So that pic is accurate if this were 10 years ago

# 18 Moose24x @ 06/23/14 01:36 PM
I just think it's amazing that every screen they've chosen to show off has been a face that's so dated, both in that the player no longer looks like that anymore AND that the technology used to take their scan all those years ago wasn't on par with what we have now. Why not at least show guys like MacKinnon or Landeskog who actually still look like their scans because they've only been around a couple of years and the technology when they had their scans done was more recent and of better quality? Honestly WHY show us this picture of Bergeron? The ice, environment, lighting and gear could be shown off with any player; it could be anyone in Bergeron's place. Why show a Bergeron who clearly has an 8 year OLD scan to demonstrate your NEW game when you could show MacKinnon, who would look as new and fresh as possible. Bergeron just clearly doesn't look like that anymore. What's the thought process that goes on behind "hmm, we're going to release ONE screen... want to show off the new graphics and our unprecedented player likenesses... let's use screens of guys whose faces we scanned last decade!"

# 19 THESHAMISASHAME @ 06/23/14 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose24x
I just think it's amazing that every screen they've chosen to show off has been a face that's so dated, both in that the player no longer looks like that anymore AND that the technology used to take their scan all those years ago wasn't on par with what we have now. Why not at least show guys like MacKinnon or Landeskog who actually still look like their scans because they've only been around a couple of years and the technology when they had their scans done was more recent and of better quality? Honestly WHY show us this picture of Bergeron? The ice, environment, lighting and gear could be shown off with any player; it could be anyone in Bergeron's place. Why show a Bergeron who clearly has an 8 year OLD scan to demonstrate your NEW game when you could show MacKinnon, who would look as new and fresh as possible. Bergeron just clearly doesn't look like that anymore. What's the thought process that goes on behind "hmm, we're going to release ONE screen... want to show off the new graphics and our unprecedented player likenesses... let's use screens of guys whose faces we scanned last decade!"

Yeah its kind of scary thinking isnt it EA NHL does so much right and then misses little things like a using a rookie Patrice face ?

They must know most out there that follow the game are Hardcore NHL fans and will pick apart the smallest mistakes .

# 20 spidertour02 @ 06/23/14 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Factory
Off topic, but remember when NHL2k had playoff beards?
Somebody needs to make an OS drinking game built around people bringing up now-defunct game series like NFL/NHL2K.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.