Home
Madden NFL 15 News Post

Check out the latest Madden NFL 15 gameplay video, submitted by SimFBallCritic.

Game: Madden NFL 15Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 42 - View All
Madden NFL 15 Videos
Member Comments
# 161 NicVirtue @ 07/01/14 09:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratedmoney
This is YEAR 3 OF THE INFINITY ENGINE and we still do not have true gang tackling. Whats the purpose of the engine then ?
Yep, year 3. And we were lead to believe that 3 years ago, Madden 15 would have great physical interactions and tackling. Evidently, this is not the case. The physics seem to have even less of an effect than it did in Madden 13. Now you more of solo type tackles that are canned, and even if another player gets involved, it's not even really a tackle, they just flop ontop/into the animation. No extra wrap up, or actual impact. This is evident with Break Tackle animations that can not be stopped no matter what, like the animation that makes you trip, spin and fall forward. THAT animation can not be stopped once it's triggered. All you can do is hope a wall of defenders are in front of him while it plays out....maybe he'll only fall forward for 2 yards, instead of 5.

3 years of IE, and weight seems to still not matter, and just be a means to depict player physical size.

# 162 The_Balm @ 07/01/14 09:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicVirtue
This is evident with Break Tackle animations that can not be stopped no matter what, like the animation that makes you trip, spin and fall forward. THAT animation can not be stopped once it's triggered. All you can do is hope a wall of defenders are in front of him while it plays out....maybe he'll only fall forward for 2 yards, instead of 5.

3 years of IE, and weight seems to still not matter, and just be a means to depict player physical size.
And as soon as that animation starts the AI instantly gives up and backs away, it looks so bad.

# 163 DNMHIII @ 07/01/14 11:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Balm
And as soon as that animation starts the AI instantly gives up and backs away, it looks so bad.
You have no idea how many times I've yelled "hit that Mthr flapper, stop him" while that animation plays out. Drives me bananas.....lol

# 164 KBLover @ 07/02/14 04:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratedmoney
Whats the purpose of the engine then ?
Good question - it certainly didn't fix the real problems with tackling in the game.

I guess one thing it was supposed to do was do away with those forced/"canned" animations and play things out using "physics" of some sort (except they are still in)

Of course, "physics" that doesn't include weight/velocity/momentum/friction (with the ground)...

Also, the player "pathing" and movement isn't crisp enough for the sensitivity (guess that's why they had the "clipping" in past versions, because it's that same sort of pathing it seems). See Bowman tripping instead of filling the hole in the Smitty video.

And there still seems to still be some clipping. I think that's one reason Gore ran through the defender in the Smitty video. It's weird all around how IE works and sometimes doesn't seem to apply.

# 165 dxdude2004 @ 07/02/14 09:44 AM
Until they bring back CPU vs. CPU watching in franchise mode, I won't be buying this game (at least full price, sometimes somebody is nice to me and buys it as a Christmas present).

# 166 jpdavis82 @ 07/03/14 09:35 PM
The run here by Wilson in this replay at 11:14 looks so much better than running in Madden in the past. You clearly see Wilson exerting real effort, the way his arms are moving as he runs, looks legit, well IMO.

http://youtu.be/9D2GK_z3Az0

# 167 briax87 @ 07/04/14 07:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicVirtue
That'll be phase 1 done in year 5 of a 3 year plan.
I remember when Ian Cummings came on board as the main guy in Madden 10 (I think), he laid out all his ideas for a great (or at least vastly improved) game.

BUT, he made it very clear that it would take a full 3/4 years to get everything to the finished/polished state.

So, back then I thought "ok awesome, by Madden 13 they will hopefully have all the major issues ironed out and some major improvements added"

He left, pro-tak appears to have been canned (along with some other stuff), and we're back to Madden 10/11 status (in terms of long-term development cycle). The new dev heads come in, with new ideas, scrap some of the old ones, and the cycle continues.

Most of the major issues back in 10 still have not been fixed...

# 168 oneamongthefence @ 07/04/14 02:24 PM
I always thought that pro tak should work in tandem with rtp. Just layer the two. Pro tak should trigger in goal line situations and multiple tacklers Coming to the ball carrier. Let physics decided the outcome. Just don't make it an animation based outcome. Fumbles are ridiculous to watch as are goal line plays. Those things need pro tak or whatever tech they used for those. Just make them happen in real time not cut scenes like before.

The team needs to implement and improve what they already have not just throw it out and waste the time spent putting it there in the first place. Basically they need to build on what they put in and not ignore it. Features seem to be a one and done occurrence way too often. Pro tak, infinity engine, ccf, among many others. Fix and improve what's there before adding more stuff on top.

Also E3 was almost a month ago and the build they were using there may have been even older. So I would hope that the final version looks and plays a lot better than in the videos we have seen. I'm still optimistic.

# 169 strawberryshortcake @ 07/04/14 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
I'm about ready to call bs on the Infinity Engine adding physics to animations because I think they later admitted that it didn't take height/weight into consideration, I think it maybe just calculated velocity or something and that's probably wrong too. I'll have to look back to be certain but I know last year, even in EA released trailers/videos, they had things like Percy Harvin "force impacting" defenders off the ground, which doesn't seem like even augmented physics to me. It added a "rag doll" effect, that I guess is a visual that we instantly associate with physics but that was the main downside Ian used to refer to when asked about a BackBreaker style physics engine in Madden.

So IE seemingly added the the downside of a rag doll effect of the BackBreaker true physics, minus the other positive additions of true physics. If there were clearly going to be rag doll issues with either one, why didn't they just go with a true physics engine then?

Serious comment. I'm wondering if EA can hire a real physicist to oversea their operation or at least the area where physics is of any significance. If you want to talk about including real physics into the game, it's appropriate to seek help from an expert on the subject. You can't exactly take "weight" out of the equation if we're dealing with physics. Football players are essentially objects with weight, mass. The following is simply a random internet search on collision, physics, and momentum. I was trying to find an equation or formula for a three object collision. Or better yet, you can likely apply the concept of inelastic or elastic collision when talking about consecutive multiple hit tackles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.physicsclassroom.com/calcpad/momentum

http://www.physicsclassroom.com/calcpad/momentum

Momentum
An object which is moving has momentum. The amount of momentum (p) possessed by the moving object is the product of mass (m) and velocity (v). In equation form:
p = m • v

Impulse-Momentum Change Equation
In a collision, a force acts upon an object for a given amount of time to change the object's velocity. The product of force and time is known as impulse. The product of mass and velocity change is known as momentum change. In a collision the impulse encountered by an object is equal to the momentum change it experiences.
Impulse = Momentum Change
F • t = mass • Delta v

The Momentum Conservation Principle
In a collision between object 1 and object 2, the force exerted on object 1 (F1) is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the force exerted on object 2 (F2). In equation form:
F1 = - F2
The above statement is simply an application of Newton's third law of motion to the collision between objects 1 and 2. Now in any given interaction, the forces which are exerted upon an object act for the same amount of time. You can't contact another object and not be contacted yourself (by that object).

# 170 strawberryshortcake @ 07/04/14 03:41 PM
Quote:
FWIW, that's what Victor Lugo was/is and they also said they had a whole team of them, if I'm not mistaken.
I meant a professor of physics at a prestigious university. Someone who teaches and lectures about physics. Not simply someone who is in charge of gameplay physics. Someone who is doing research in physics. Not sure what Victor Lugo's scientific background was or is. Maybe he was qualified but he is no longer on the team.

# 171 SageInfinite @ 07/04/14 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake
I meant a professor of physics at a prestigious university. Someone who teaches and lectures about physics. Not simply someone who is in charge of gameplay physics. Someone who is doing research in physics. Not sure what Victor Lugo's scientific background was or is. Maybe he was qualified but he is no longer on the team.
Doesn't matter who they hire, as long as they got the same bums implementing this stuff it's all useless.

# 172 dat boi Q @ 07/04/14 04:53 PM
We do this dog and pony show show every year. Why do so many of you guys expect this game to be something it's not. If EA wanted this game to be sim it would have happened years ago. Madden will always be MADDEN FOOTBALL. Stop crying about this game and move on. I know they are the only company that can make a nfl football game. But when they paid for the license, they also paid to make the kind of game THEY WANTED TO MAKE. This game isn't going fully sim I don't care what anybody say. If they wanted a sim game, it would be a sim game now not a year or two from now. People that defend madden are people that are going to like the game no matter what EA feeds them. By now now you either going to like the madden formula or not. Just stop being so surprised every year when videos and info comes out and the game drops and it still MADDEN FOOTBALL.

# 173 Haval93 @ 07/04/14 04:59 PM
Quote:
I'm about ready to call bs on the Infinity Engine adding physics to animations because I think they later admitted that it didn't take height/weight into consideration, I think it maybe just calculated velocity or something and that's probably wrong too. I'll have to look back to be certain but I know last year, even in EA released trailers/videos, they had things like Percy Harvin "force impacting" defenders off the ground, which doesn't seem like even augmented physics to me. It added a "rag doll" effect, that I guess is a visual that we instantly associate with physics but that was the main downside Ian used to refer to when asked about a BackBreaker style physics engine in Madden.

So IE seemingly added the the downside of a rag doll effect of the BackBreaker true physics, minus the other positive additions of true physics. If there were clearly going to be rag doll issues with either one, why didn't they just go with a true physics engine then?
Wait. Do you have a source for this claim? If true, it's ridiculous and in no way can EA tout they take actual physics calculations into play. How are they calculating momentum? Magic and prayers? Momentum equals the mass of an object times it's velocity. Are they simply just replacing how characters collided with rag-doll physics and labeling that as a brand new physics engine? I remember when they introduced "RTP" that they said they hired physicists to help them, what happened? When learning physics, one of the first things you learn are about momentum and forces, did they simply forget their own lesson plan when programming this game?

Regardless, at least the game is improving and the visuals are top notch this year.

# 174 MCNABB51BOI @ 07/04/14 05:04 PM
Why does everyone run the same ?

Why is everyone cutting on a dime

The player movements look horrible I'm sorry once

I stop coming to this board because no matter what,,,, pleas will be coping pleas for this game

But damn can we get a good game for once

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.