Home
News Post

Joe Montana tweeted this CG image of himself... Twice, for some reason... with the following hashtags.

Quote:
#youvewaitedlongenough #joemontanafootball16

He then followed it up with a bunch of pictures from the Legends of Candlestick flag football game, which featured retired players (see the full rosters here) with Joe Montana and Dan Marino quarterbacking the respective sides.

The image Montana tweeted doesn't really match up, does it? Could we get a Joe Montana Football 16 announcement in the coming days or is it just wishful thinking?

With the exclusive license still in the hands of EA, if a videogame version of Joe Montana Football does arrive, it won't have any current NFL player names, likeness, etc.

Maybe it will feature retired players, similar to All Pro Football 2K8? Maybe it's going to be a simple mobile game. Your guess is as good as mine at this point.

Either way, if we do see a football game from Joe, with a 16 at the end of the tweet hashtag, we probably won't see it until 2015. Let's hope for the best.

If anything solid comes from this, we'll update everyone.

UPDATE: Thanks to jlfarris (via FaceMask), it does in fact look like a mobile game is in the works, utilizing Unreal Engine 4.

What are your thoughts?

screenshot gallery - Click to view  screenshot gallery - Click to view  screenshot gallery - Click to view  screenshot gallery - Click to view
Member Comments
# 61 Branchurian @ 12/10/14 05:00 PM
Yo Mestevo, can you verify if Montana really retweeted that pic? If so, that has to have some validity. Then again, after the fiasco at E3 Im not grasping after anymore string....

# 62 mestevo @ 12/10/14 05:12 PM
Yup, he retweeted it. Just scroll down a few posts.

https://twitter.com/JoeMontana

# 63 Branchurian @ 12/10/14 06:20 PM
Has to mean something...it'd be odd for him to retweet that up on his official page. Then again, we shouldn't delve into any speculation until there is concrete evidence or Joe & 2K fess up. Thanks Mestevo

# 64 howboutdat @ 12/11/14 12:25 PM
if its a tablet game only , good luck with that... is all i gotta say......

# 65 cedwebb @ 12/11/14 11:41 PM
I'm interested, if 2k put out a legends based game for next gen I would be all over it. Will keep checking I on this for sure. The article below is a reason for some optimism.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ll-video-game/

Another good article on this inception of Joe Montana football and how it evolved into 2k.

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Joe...oon-65208.html

# 66 charter04 @ 12/12/14 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceMask
That's never going to happen. EA has too many legends tied up under contract leaving any company looking to do it with nothing but scraps if that, and on top of that the last legends attempt by 2K bombed and bombed big time. They won't go that avenue again.

The only legend you can count on being in this game is Joe Montana, and maybe some of his buddies like Jerry Rice which is also a longshot since I believe he's already under contract with EA for Madden.

We need 2K to go after new IP concepts and leave what didn't work in the past where it belongs.

How do you know any legends are under contract. EA probably paid for their rights for a game. Not a contract. Do you have info to back this up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 67 mestevo @ 12/12/14 11:46 AM
Quote:
Your question is not reasonable, and your assertion is not realistic; this is not how this works.

For starters, a contract is what gives rights in these matters. So yes, of course they've signed contracts, that's a given like the sun coming up in the morning. Surely, you don't think EA showed up in trenchcoats and disguises to an undisclosed motel with a suitcase full of cash each time and made each individual deal on word and a gentlemen's handshake. And surely, you don't think that the legends who've been appearing in Madden nearly every year now since, oh, Madden 07/08, are just allowing that to happen without a contractual agreement in place. EA maintains a licensing department and keeps paid lawyers for these purposes exactly.

The only thing we can't know is what flexibility exists in those contracts since we can't see them. But considering how EA does business and has been doing business with football exclusivity specifically for the past 10 years, I think it would be a mistake to hold our collective breath that all of these legends are just open to be licensed to a competing product.

Look, I'm all for optimism, but there comes a point when reality has to be embraced. It baffles me that people would expect 2K to even consider going back to a model that completely flopped, was unprofitable for them, and tarnished their legacy a bit to the point that they don't even acknowledge the game (APF) ever existed. I don't understand that, I mean, sure I'd love it, but most gamers won't, so I'd rather they didn't do something doomed to repeat failure like that. If 2K is really behind it, I want them to have a real chance to succeed so they can keep coming back. If they go the APF route again, then the game will be dead on arrival.

So you're telling me there's a chance!?

Spoiler

There is only 1 solid lead, and that is a developer working on the game: https://twitter.com/DamonGrow

Who's entire work history on linkedin revolves around mobile/social games.

He just said that there will be dynamic weather in the game, and called into the 2 hour SimFBCritic radio show yesterday: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/simstan...standard-radio (haven't listened, if there was anything exciting to report it would have been already I'd expect)

Something is coming, they've done nothing but give us anything to be hopeful or get excited about so far though.

Edit: Figured there’d be some kind of recap (I can’t stand to listen to these guys for the most part), and skipped to around 1:45, and they absolutely hammer the guy about the potential of it being mobile/tablet only. He ends up just kinda opting out of the question because Montana is the one that will be releasing any information.

# 68 charter04 @ 12/12/14 01:03 PM
Quote:
Your question is not reasonable, and your assertion is not realistic; this is not how this works.

For starters, a contract is what gives rights in these matters. So yes, of course they've signed contracts, that's a given like the sun coming up in the morning. Surely, you don't think EA showed up in trenchcoats and disguises to an undisclosed motel with a suitcase full of cash each time and made each individual deal on word and a gentlemen's handshake. And surely, you don't think that the legends who've been appearing in Madden nearly every year now since, oh, Madden 07/08, are just allowing that to happen without a contractual agreement in place. EA maintains a licensing department and keeps paid lawyers for these purposes exactly.

The only thing we can't know is what flexibility exists in those contracts since we can't see them. But considering how EA does business and has been doing business with football exclusivity specifically for the past 10 years, I think it would be a mistake to hold our collective breath that all of these legends are just open to be licensed to a competing product.

Look, I'm all for optimism, but there comes a point when reality has to be embraced. It baffles me that people would expect 2K to even consider going back to a model that completely flopped, was unprofitable for them, and tarnished their legacy a bit to the point that they don't even acknowledge the game (APF) ever existed. I don't understand that, I mean, sure I'd love it, but most gamers won't, so I'd rather they didn't do something doomed to repeat failure like that. If 2K is really behind it, I want them to have a real chance to succeed so they can keep coming back. If they go the APF route again, then the game will be dead on arrival.

Maybe your entire comment wasn't for me. I'm going to assume that anyway. Because it was more than I even wanted to bother reading. Never said that I thought they should do a game like that again. I was just wondering how you knew they couldn't. Still didn't get a good answer.

# 69 mestevo @ 12/12/14 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by charter04
Maybe your entire comment wasn't for me. I'm going to assume that anyway. Because it was more than I even wanted to bother reading. Never said that I thought they should do a game like that again. I was just wondering how you knew they couldn't. Still didn't get a good answer.

Not like he was replying to a 'good question' so not sure what 'good answer' you were expecting. Of course EA has legends 'under contract', look at MUT.

# 70 charter04 @ 12/12/14 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
Not like he was replying to a 'good question' so not sure what 'good answer' you were expecting. Of course EA has legends 'under contract', look at MUT.

Seems like the condescending type are out today. First I ask a simple honest question. I get a long answer with a lot of assumptions then I get you calling my question bad.

Last I checked if someone doesn't know something or would like someone to provide proof/clarification of a statement it isn't bad.

Next time I'll make sure and run my question by you guys just to make sure they are good enough.

# 71 charter04 @ 12/12/14 02:59 PM
The way I understand it, EA sports must have a licensing agreement with the NFL players association in order to use their likenesses. Obviously they have that. This is separate from an agreement with the NFL. Even then there have been some players who were able to not have their likeness used in the past. These agreements are not always exclusive however. This also doesn't include former players. Those have to be made player by player. Sure EA has some licensing deals with some legends. How many and how long though? Also how do we know the agreement is exclusive?

We know EA sports has an exclusive agreement with the NFL and possibly the players association but, what about former players.

So that is the question. Still don't have an answer. I hope and pray my question passes the good question test.

# 72 charter04 @ 12/12/14 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridiron
Exactly, man. I thinks dudes sometimes forget this is a business, big business at that.

How did my question make it seem I forgot it was a business? Obviously I know they have a licensing agreement with the legends that are in the current game but, how exclusive is it? Also is is just for this year or multiple years.

I still haven't seen anything that prove 2k couldn't have the same legends in a new hypothetical game. That was the intent of my question.

I think it would be a bad idea to make a game like that though.

# 73 jyoung @ 12/12/14 03:10 PM
Once pro athletes retire, they are no longer a part of their league's players association.

That's why whenever old sports games are re-released (like the NHL 94 port that EA included on NHL 2006), the players' names have to be removed from the roster.

The easiest way to get retired players into a sports video game these days is to sign a deal with a sports' hall of fame. That way you can use all of the players who are a part of the hall of fame without having to individually negotiate a deal for each player. That's what EA has done recently for their NHL and Madden NFL games. The majority of retired legends that appear in those games are hall of fame members.

I don't know whether or not EA's current deal with the pro football hall of fame is exclusive. It was signed a few years ago, though.

# 74 charter04 @ 12/12/14 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
Once pro athletes retire, they are no longer a part of their league's players association.

That's why whenever old sports games are re-released (like the NHL 94 port that EA included on NHL 2006), the players' names have to be removed from the roster.

The easiest way to get retired players into a sports video game these days is to sign a deal with a sports' hall of fame. That way you can use all of the players who are a part of the hall of fame without having to individually negotiate a deal for each player. That's what EA has done recently for their NHL and Madden NFL games. The majority of retired legends that appear in those games are hall of fame members.

I don't know whether or not EA's current deal with the pro football hall of fame is exclusive. It was signed a few years ago, though.

Good grief. Thank you. That was info I was looking for. Lol.

Obviously I wasn't looking for a legal document. I was just trying wrap my head around what kind of agreement was made.

It is still possible for another game to make a similar agreement. That is all I was getting at.

The thing I originally was responding to was a comment that made it seem like it would be impossible to get the same players that EA has as far as legends. I was just trying to figure out how we know that for sure.

Thanks for the info

# 75 charter04 @ 12/12/14 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridiron
Dude never said he knew the terms though yo. What dude is saying is that we shouldn't get our hopes up for that because of how EA does business. Over the past decade, when has EA ever done anything with football that wasn't exclusive? Never right? So why should we hope for that to be different now? And even if its not exclusive its not like they couldnt have a noncompete clause. Man, EA is not gonna make this easy on anybody. If the past decade hasnt shown that I dont know what will. They were in recorded meetings plotting ways to prevent 2K from making another legends game, and you can still find direct quotes online about it. This is serious yo.

Me personally, I don't care about legends one way or the other. If they gonna be in, cool, if not, cool. I just want a new game that can be customized and then I'm straight.

Yea your probably right. I don't think it's worth it to have them in at this point.

I think a generic ncaa/profootball type game with total editing abilities with easy to use online team maker/player editing capabilities is the ticket. It wouldn't cost near as much.

Just give us 2k gameplay.

Also a great franchise type mode like 2k college hoops

# 76 jyoung @ 12/12/14 04:57 PM
O.J. Simpson cost Take-Two $50,000 for his two-year contract, and he was just one player out of All Pro Football's 248 legends.

Visual Concepts ended up wasting a ton of time, money, and manpower getting all those guys signed, when instead, they could have simply put out a completely generic title and likely sold about as many copies as APF 2K8 did.

# 77 MajorSupreme @ 12/12/14 08:26 PM
Not sure how many heard the Sim Standard Radio Show from last night, but when Damon Grow got on and started talking about the importance of the Sim Community, and the need for competition for there to be innovation, the only thing in my head was that "how will a mobile game bring any competition"? And then one of the hosts (AzureEffect I think) said straight up that if after all this hype, and the game turns out to be mobile, you lost. Maybe some people will buy it as a time waster, but to talk about this "competition" and "#morethanarosterupdate" and the such would be the ultimate letdown. Beyond ultimate. Unforgivable haha.

I always enjoy the hype stuff like this brings, regardless of it's fruition or not. All that business with 2K Football earlier this year? Loved it, loved the hope and intuitiveness I saw from many around here and on social network. Way too early to say if anything decent can truly come from this. Hell, if it is for consoles, it won't be an immediate competitor to Madden off the bat (most likely). Damon Green said more information is coming soon, and I've never hawked someone's twitter so hard haha.

# 78 mestevo @ 12/12/14 09:25 PM
I think that he's doing his best to say and do all of the right things without showing his hand and playing well to those who will listen (the 'Madden needs a competitor' crowd and also abstractly talking up quality and sim to the guys on the radio show)... so that when they do reveal it is for the tablet they have a substantial bit of other information they can point to and show why they're going to change your mind about it automatically being a non-starter.

I'd love a sim experience on my phone/tablet, but motion capture on those platforms means nothing to me. Just not looking for some simulation football play on my phone, it's a different medium. I'd want a Football GM game or something.

Best case assuming it isn't on the current gen consoles is probably tablet + Fire/Apple TV, Ouya, etc. Maybe PC.

# 79 MajorSupreme @ 12/12/14 09:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
I think that he's doing his best to say and do all of the right things without showing his hand and playing well to those who will listen (the 'Madden needs a competitor' crowd and also abstractly talking up quality and sim to the guys on the radio show)... so that when they do reveal it is for the tablet they have a substantial bit of other information they can point to and show why they're going to change your mind about it automatically being a non-starter.

I'd love a sim experience on my phone/tablet, but motion capture on those platforms means nothing to me. Just not looking for some simulation football play on my phone, it's a different medium. I'd want a Football GM game or something.

Best case assuming it isn't on the current gen consoles is probably tablet + Fire/Apple TV, Ouya, etc. Maybe PC.
If it comes out on PC, I'm buying 7 copies. I've wanted a PC football game for YEARS.

# 80 charter04 @ 12/12/14 10:28 PM
I would love it to be on PC. That would be awesome. I'm not sure if that will hurt sales but, it would cost a lot less if they did a download only PC game that you could buy on the 2k site or steam.

Having it on PC would open up so many more moding possibilities. I assume this would be something they would have to be on board with or why put out a fb game at all.

I can't imagine a tablet game doing well.

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.