Home
News Post

Joe Montana tweeted this CG image of himself... Twice, for some reason... with the following hashtags.

Quote:
#youvewaitedlongenough #joemontanafootball16

He then followed it up with a bunch of pictures from the Legends of Candlestick flag football game, which featured retired players (see the full rosters here) with Joe Montana and Dan Marino quarterbacking the respective sides.

The image Montana tweeted doesn't really match up, does it? Could we get a Joe Montana Football 16 announcement in the coming days or is it just wishful thinking?

With the exclusive license still in the hands of EA, if a videogame version of Joe Montana Football does arrive, it won't have any current NFL player names, likeness, etc.

Maybe it will feature retired players, similar to All Pro Football 2K8? Maybe it's going to be a simple mobile game. Your guess is as good as mine at this point.

Either way, if we do see a football game from Joe, with a 16 at the end of the tweet hashtag, we probably won't see it until 2015. Let's hope for the best.

If anything solid comes from this, we'll update everyone.

UPDATE: Thanks to jlfarris (via FaceMask), it does in fact look like a mobile game is in the works, utilizing Unreal Engine 4.

What are your thoughts?

screenshot gallery - Click to view  screenshot gallery - Click to view  screenshot gallery - Click to view  screenshot gallery - Click to view
Member Comments
# 101 burnt_secondary @ 12/30/14 01:18 PM
Why does it have to use touch controls? I mean yeah, they will be in there but I have been using a controller on my tablets for the last three years. I've been using a Wiimote and a Xbox 360 controller. Sell the game at a premium $20 (premium for mobile anyway) and make it clear that it is optimized for a controller. Allow connectivity with a PS3/PS4 controller or an Amazon controller, and you are good to go.

I think people are really missing that high powered tablets and phones are ready to compete with consoles. They are just as powerful as a Xbox360 and PS3 and mobile devices get hardware upgrades every year as opposed to consoles.

I'm serious, if this is mobile, (which I am not convinced it is) it would not be the end of the world.

Amazon is really putting money into their games division and they already have a controller so you never know. Kindle games exclusive? Doubt it, but the tech is there now so you never know who might want in.

# 102 mestevo @ 12/30/14 02:09 PM
That'd probably be the end of profitability though, leaning on a controller to supplement touch controls, AND pricing it at $20 are two incredibly high barriers for entry for a mobile game.

Unless they have no intention on being successful and are just building brand awareness... what you suggest is the path to a one-and-done effort IMO.

# 103 burnt_secondary @ 12/30/14 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceMask
@burnt

Yeah, people do seem to have the impression that mobile devices are like 10 generations behind consoles, which isn't the case of course.

That said, the mobile market is so impulse-buy driven, I just can't see $20 being a workable price point for this game if it's mobile, especially if you'll need other equipment, too.
I just threw out the $20 to get rid of those casual customers that would complain about the touch controls not working good enough without really looking that a controller was recommended. Bad idea really. Many better ways to do that without just jacking up the price.

I could see something like this being thrown in with an Amazon controller for the Amazon TV. Kind of a way to get gamers to take a second look at what mobile gaming has to offer. That said this could work for Samsung or Google too. Any high end (or middle) tablet/phone already streams to a TV with a Chromecast, Fire Stick, etc. There just hasn't been an app/game to push customers to really stop an look at what is really possible.

I'm just talking Android here but obviously Apple can be a player too, but I find that less likely.

Edit: All this said, I would rather it be a console release. This is just a plan B if it is obvious that all competitors on the console platforms are locked out from the NFL license for the foreseeable future.

# 104 Thunderhorse @ 12/30/14 06:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt_secondary
I just threw out the $20 to get rid of those casual customers that would complain about the touch controls not working good enough without really looking that a controller was recommended. Bad idea really. Many better ways to do that without just jacking up the price.

I could see something like this being thrown in with an Amazon controller for the Amazon TV. Kind of a way to get gamers to take a second look at what mobile gaming has to offer. That said this could work for Samsung or Google too. Any high end (or middle) tablet/phone already streams to a TV with a Chromecast, Fire Stick, etc. There just hasn't been an app/game to push customers to really stop an look at what is really possible.

I'm just talking Android here but obviously Apple can be a player too, but I find that less likely.

Edit: All this said, I would rather it be a console release. This is just a plan B if it is obvious that all competitors on the console platforms are locked out from the NFL license for the foreseeable future.
I Just dropped $400 on a new Playstation.

I mean, Really - How much crap would I have to buy to play this game?

The more we speculate over this, the worse it sounds honestly.

# 105 burnt_secondary @ 12/30/14 07:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhorse
I Just dropped $400 on a new Playstation.

I mean, Really - How much crap would I have to buy to play this game?

The more we speculate over this, the worse it sounds honestly.
This is all speculation but the price of entry would be low depending on what phone you have. Assuming you have a mid to high end android cell phone or tablet . . . a $40 Amazon Fire stick, your PS4 controllers already work with Android 4.2 or higher. So, $40 and $5 bucks for the game . . . that's not too bad.

You wouldn't even need the Fire stick if you didn't want to play on your TV but I am assuming that would be the point.

# 106 kehlis @ 12/30/14 07:17 PM
If you were to get this to be too close to a console game it would be pretty short lived anyway.

# 107 MajorSupreme @ 12/31/14 04:46 PM
Check out this tweet from Damon Grow https://twitter.com/DamonGrow/status/550370863371931648

# 108 Gman 18 @ 12/31/14 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorSupreme
Check out this tweet from Damon Grow https://twitter.com/DamonGrow/status/550370863371931648
Thats gotta be a console game

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

# 109 mestevo @ 12/31/14 06:27 PM
Platform is irrelevant because it won't look like that, so doesn't really tell us anything. Its a development asset, only option would be PC at that level of detail, so it will be reduced when used in an actual game engine.

Just more hype

# 110 Gman 18 @ 12/31/14 06:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
Platform is irrelevant because it won't look like that, so doesn't really tell us anything. Its a development asset, only option would be PC at that level of detail, so it will be reduced when used in an actual game engine.

Just more hype
You dont think that type of detail is now possible on the new consoles?

# 111 MajorSupreme @ 12/31/14 06:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo

Just more hype
If this is just "hype" for a mobile game, then these dudes are going down in PR history.

# 112 mestevo @ 12/31/14 06:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman 18
You dont think that type of detail is now possible on the new consoles?

22 of them with field, stadium and equipment to compliment, etc, I don't think so IMO.

Can get some of that using level of detail to reduce things when further away, like maddens models and grass, but at the full detail you don't really play the game at that full resolution.

Who knows though, they continue to ratchet up expectations, we get to see them follow through now. Whatever it is I hope it is fun and accessible to many.

Would be funny if the secret developer was EA and this was some niche effort. An arcade effort with sim leanings branded with Montana and then able to use other NFL assets.

# 113 roadman @ 12/31/14 10:32 PM
I'm trying to follow this thread, but I came across an interview that Montana did in September in Toronto.

I haven't found anything about a fantasy football app that Montana put a 100 grand into help develop in this thread. He said in an interview in April of 2013 that they couldn't go the console route.

I still haven't seen anything where this app came out, yet, so, I don't think it's been approved by the apple store,

Q&A with San Francisco 49ers legend Joe Montana 3

BY RYAN WOLSTAT, TORONTO SUN
FIRST POSTED: THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 04, 2014 07:14 PM EDT | UPDATED: FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 05, 2014 08:58 AM EDT

Do you play fantasy football?

No, it’s too hard to keep up with them week after week. To do it right, you have to be able to know all the young guys coming in and watch pre-season and try to figure out who might be a sleeper that you can pick. I just don’t have that kind of time right now. If I did it, I’d just be doing one of the weekly games or something. I’m actually developing an app myself. We’re looking at launching Tuesday or Wednesday next week and we should have the final approvals from the Apple Store. (The app, called iMFL, combines fantasy football with the ability to make bets with friends as NFL games are taking place in real time)

Here's the interview from April 2013.

http://techcrunch.com/2013/04/22/fir...ball-app-tctv/

Notice, the Q and A above is from September 4th, 2014 and the app still isn't out, yet.

I might be way off on what is being discussed, if I am, let me know.

# 114 roadman @ 01/01/15 01:55 PM
So, he puts in a 1.5 yrs of work at least into the app and scraps it all without an announcement? The latest we knew about the app was early September.

Not so sure about that, time will tell, I guess.

# 115 roadman @ 01/01/15 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceMask
But he has no obligation to announce anything, especially not for an unreleased product that no customer funds were spent on.

There is also the possibility that the project wasn't as far along as he thought at the time of the interview. Maybe some new issues arose when attempting approval and a new direction was conceived. Or perhaps some legal challenges popped up, it's just impossible to know for sure. But lots of projects have their cords cut even after a lot of work, especially when dealing with ones below the AAA level.

Even at the AAA level though, I remember 989 worked on Road To Sunday for some time and had the plug pulled just a few months before its release window which was a good idea because they wouldn't have been able to compete with Blitz The League, although I think Road To Sunday's weekly underground fighting element would've been nuts.
There are a few loose ends and it's great to speculate with all kinds of possibilities and what not. Heck, maybe they ironed out the issues you mentioned and are continuing on with the project and will release next Sept? That's also a possibility.

Last time I climbed the hype train was last summer with the forums and social media buzzing about the return of 2k.

I'll wait.

# 116 gr18 @ 01/01/15 02:26 PM
There is comment that there are a few other projects that are in the works for Joe,according to the interview.You would have thought though that the fantasy football app would have been out before something else was thrown out there like this but obviously it doesn't seem like what that is so while interesting I can't say we know anything more at this point.

# 117 roadman @ 01/01/15 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr18
There is comment that there are a few other projects that are in the works for Joe,according to the interview.You would have thought though that the fantasy football app would have been out before something else was thrown out there like this but obviously it doesn't seem like what that is so while interesting I can't say we know anything more at this point.
Well, yeah, that is my point, it's no use to get excited at this stage when we don't know anything more at this point.

We've been down that road many times before.

The only thing with the football app is that if they did decide to scrap the whole idea in September(if that is the reason) it would seem to be difficult to produce something in 4 months resembling a football game since they've had a 1.5 yrs to develop the football app that hasn't been put on the market, yet.

And for all I know, maybe they've had "other projects" going on at the same time.

Edit-The more I dig into this, the more I feel it is a football game, not a fantasy football game. Just don't know at the moment what type of football game.

Need more details.

# 118 alansu55 @ 01/01/15 10:20 PM
I hope it did what PES did by using knockoff names for teams and players. Also hope this comes out for current gen too.

# 119 ElectricAggie @ 01/01/15 11:36 PM
Watching these bowl games makes me hope that we can create college teams in the game. I want college football on Next Gen!

# 120 lgnderek @ 01/03/15 09:51 PM
Anyway a modder/hacker could turn this into a pc game if it does get released for mobile devices?

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.