Home
Madden NFL 15 News Post

EA Sports revealed the top rookies in Madden NFL 15 by rating today, including a quick video and new screenshots.

A more detailed look at the rookie ratings can be seen here.

Here's the list:
  1. DE - Jadeveon Clowney - Houston (83 Overall)
  2. OL - Greg Robinson - St. Louis (83 Overall)
  3. OLB -Khalil Mack - Oakland (81 Overall)
  4. OL - Jake Matthews - Atlanta (81 Overall)
  5. WR - Sammy Watkins - Buffalo (80 Overall)
  6. S - Calvyn Pryor - New York Jets (79 Overall)
  7. DL - Aaron Donald - St. Louis (79 Overall)
  8. S - Haha Clinton Dix - Green Bay (79 Overall)
  9. OL - Taylor Lewan - Tennessee (79 Overall)
  10. QB - Blake Bortles - Jacksonville (78 Overall)
  11. CB - Darqueze Dennard - Cincinnati (78 Overall)
  12. WR - Mike Evans - Tampa Bay (78 Overall)
  13. OL - Zack Martin - Dallas (78 Overall)
What do you think of the ratings? Any glaring misses?

Here is a look at the release date schedule for more ratings.
  • Mon, July 21 – Top 10 Overall Rookies
  • Tues, July 22 – Top 5 Overall QBs
  • Wed, July 23 – Top 5 Overall RBs
  • Thurs, July 24 – Top 5 Overall WRs/Top 5 Overall TEs
  • Fri, July 25 – Top 5 Overall OL Players
  • Sat, July 26 – Top 5 Overall DEs
  • Sun, July 27 – Top 5 Overall DTs
  • Mon, July 28 – Top 5 Overall LBs
  • Tues, July 29 – Top 5 Overall CBs
  • Wed, July 30 – Top 5 Overall Safeties
  • Thurs, July 31 – Top 5 Overall Special Teams
  • Fri, Aug 1 – Top 10 Overall Players/Full AFC & NFC North Ratings
  • Sat, Aug 2 – Full AFC & NFC South Ratings
  • Sun, Aug 3 – Full AFC & NFC East Ratings
  • Mon, Aug 4 – Full AFC & NFC West Ratings
  • Tues, Aug 5 – Ratings Recap

Madden NFL 15 screenshot gallery - Click to view Madden NFL 15 screenshot gallery - Click to view Madden NFL 15 screenshot gallery - Click to view Madden NFL 15 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: Madden NFL 15Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 42 - View All
Madden NFL 15 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 DCEBB2001 @ 07/21/14 10:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by charter04
Dan, the guy who runs FBG ratings had an interview for that job and they asked if he would alter ratings if an EA exec wanted him to for different reasons. I believe that is the reason he didn't take or whatever. They know all about his site. I just think these ratings have become a monster that won't change. I think they don't want to offend players too much. People look at them like it's the official ratings. I'm not even sure he he uses the scouting data that FBG ratings uses that costs a lot of money to get. Stuff NFL teams use. I mean doesn't anyone think NFL teams get their data from NFL.com?
You know those combine times that NFL Network and NFL.com posts in "real time", live on your TV? A guy with a stopwatch in the stands does those.

You know how much 30 of the 32 teams pay for the official combine data made available a full WEEK after the combine is over? 80k. You can guess what teams won't pay for them by looking at their not-so-rosy histories with the league.

# 62 DCEBB2001 @ 07/21/14 10:34 PM
Quote:
I will say this about Donny Moore. He seems like a good guy and seems to work hard and love e his job. I just think he's in a lose lose situation. Some will complain the ratings are too high while others appalled that they are too low. I don't want his job I'll tell you that. Lol

I just feel he uses a faulty way to rate. Seems like watching games, you tube scouting, NFL.com "official" combine numbers, and outside pressure is his total method. It just makes the gameplay less realistic and more arcade, no matter how good a job the gameplay guys do.
I do. I would love his job. Too bad he gets hamstrung by his own execs.

# 63 michiganfan8620 @ 07/21/14 10:35 PM
Quote:
Dan, the guy who runs FBG ratings had an interview for that job and they asked if he would alter ratings if an EA exec wanted him to for different reasons. I believe that is the reason he didn't take or whatever. They know all about his site. I just think these ratings have become a monster that won't change. I think they don't want to offend players too much. People look at them like it's the official ratings. I'm not even sure he he uses the scouting data that FBG ratings uses that costs a lot of money to get. Stuff NFL teams use. I mean doesn't anyone think NFL teams get their data from NFL.com?
He uses his own sources for data. Just because he doesn't use what FBG uses doesn't mean he's wrong. And you act like the data FBG uses is something EA can't afford. And the data on nfl.com is official from the combine. And I doubt NFL teams use what FBG uses, if whatever it is even exists. NFL teams make their own individual evaluations, which is what they pay scouts for.

# 64 charter04 @ 07/21/14 10:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEBB2001
I once tried to rate players solely on their individual attributes, being the most realistic way to grade a player. Once the calculated OVR ratings went up, my inbox was flooded with hate-mail about how Wes Welker should be a 95 and not a 75 because he is not the most athletic guy out there...just very savvy and played with two of the best QBs to ever play the game.
That's actually still my favorite ratings. I still have the 360 version of those. They play great. Welker is still very productive in the game at 75.

# 65 DCEBB2001 @ 07/21/14 10:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganfan8620
The problem is, CFM would likely be broken then. Rookies would be at a massive disadvantage, as none of them would likely develop properly compared to the other young players who have played a year. Then we'd have people complaining about that. It's a lose-lose situation.
Are you telling me that the developers can't come up with a way to make rookies develop FASTER than a 10 year veteran because they are younger, often have less of an injury history, and don't yet have massively declining skills? Maybe something like only being allowed to use a certain amount of XP on a player due to their age, potential, and injury history?

Wow. Could have sworn that Madden used to be able to do that in like Madden 2003, where you see guys advance quickly as rookies, and then less and less as they grow older. But that was 12 years ago, when Madden was actually pretty good and innovative, it's probably impossible now.

# 66 charter04 @ 07/21/14 10:40 PM
Quote:
He uses his own sources for data. Just because he doesn't use what FBG uses doesn't mean he's wrong. And you act like the data FBG uses is something EA can't afford. And the data on nfl.com is official from the combine. And I doubt NFL teams use what FBG uses, if whatever it is even exists. NFL teams make their own individual evaluations, which is what they pay scouts for.
NFL.com is not official. Lol you just keep believing what you want. Since this is the EA ratings thread I'm going to end it at that. For more discussion on the fbg ratings go to that thread. I go to the site that uses the same info he uses all the time. He probably has the link.

# 67 DCEBB2001 @ 07/21/14 10:41 PM
Quote:
Donny is that YOU???

There are so many things wrong with this statement that I won't even waste my time addressing them.

# 68 DCEBB2001 @ 07/21/14 10:43 PM
Quote:
That's actually still my favorite ratings. I still have the 360 version of those. They play great. Welker is still very productive in the game at 75.
I know that. You know that. The mouth-breathers don't. Equal interval ratings with no OVR rating! Ahhhh, now THAT would make for realistic gameplay.

# 69 CT Pitbull @ 07/21/14 10:45 PM
Quote:
I will say this about Donny Moore. He seems like a good guy and seems to work hard and love e his job. I just think he's in a lose lose situation. Some will complain the ratings are too high while others appalled that they are too low. I don't want his job I'll tell you that. Lol

I just feel he uses a faulty way to rate. Seems like watching games, you tube scouting, NFL.com "official" combine numbers, and outside pressure is his total method. It just makes the gameplay less realistic and more arcade, no matter how good a job the gameplay guys do.

This is why, in no way shape or form should it be ONE guys job to rate every player in the NFL. It should be "Maddens" ratings of the players NOT Donny Moore's ratings. How did this guy bamboozle EA into thinking he is the end all be all in knowledge of NFL players talents? I would think a former scout of even a former player would make a better selection. And definitely not one person. It should be a team of people bouncing opinions and facts to come up with the most realistic ratings possible.

# 70 michiganfan8620 @ 07/21/14 10:46 PM
Quote:
You know those combine times that NFL Network and NFL.com posts in "real time", live on your TV? A guy with a stopwatch in the stands does those.

You know how much 30 of the 32 teams pay for the official combine data made available a full WEEK after the combine is over? 80k. You can guess what teams won't pay for them by looking at their not-so-rosy histories with the league.
This is what you are partially wrong about. The real-time data is unofficial and hand-timed. Then, at the end of the day, the official results are made available, and put out for the world to see, for free. Go on NFL.com right now and look. Sammy Watkins 40 times were reported immediately after as 4.34 and 4.37, and were posted in real time. At the end of the day, the official time of 4.43 was announced by the NFL on what website? NFL.com, the official web page of the league, and the website profile was updated. There is no way that 30 of the 32 teams are paying for "official combine data" and 2 of them are not. That would make no sense. And where did you get this information from? If you have proof show it.

# 71 charter04 @ 07/21/14 10:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Pittbull
This is why, in no way shape or form should it be ONE guys job to rate every player in the NFL. It should be "Maddens" ratings of the players NOT Donny Moore's ratings. How did this guy bamboozle EA into thinking he is the end all be all in knowledge of NFL players talents? I would think a former scout of even a former player would make a ection. And definitely not one person. It should be a team of people bouncing opinions and facts to come up with the most realistic ratings possible.
To be fair he did mention his ratings team in the article that was posted tonight. I'm not sure how many that is but, they still would be using the same faulty methods imo. Even if their way made the game play at its best I wouldn't mind as much but, other ways of ratings play much better. For one thing acceleration and pursuit are always so high it messes up gameplay. I still can't understand why a player with 87 spd would have 96 pur. All pur really does in game is make them run faster to the ball. Players can't run faster then their ability allows. If you want to use a high Play recognition to simulate smarts and anticipation fine but, why make everyone run faster with another rating?

# 72 DeuceDouglas @ 07/21/14 10:54 PM
Quote:
You know how much 30 of the 32 teams pay for the official combine data made available a full WEEK after the combine is over? 80k.
Why would 30 teams spend a combined $2.4 million to get official times a week earlier with the draft still almost two months away?

# 73 michiganfan8620 @ 07/21/14 10:59 PM
Quote:
Are you telling me that the developers can't come up with a way to make rookies develop FASTER than a 10 year veteran because they are younger, often have less of an injury history, and don't yet have massively declining skills? Maybe something like only being allowed to use a certain amount of XP on a player due to their age, potential, and injury history?

Wow. Could have sworn that Madden used to be able to do that in like Madden 2003, where you see guys advance quickly as rookies, and then less and less as they grow older. But that was 12 years ago, when Madden was actually pretty good and innovative, it's probably impossible now.
I'm not saying that, I'm saying that in the system people are advocating, there is no way a player like Sammy Watkins would be able to catch a guy like Keenan Allen. Watkins has a much higher ceiling than Allen, but due to the fact that Allen has a year under his belt and would be mid 80's, Allen would always be better than Watkins in the game. With the current ratings system, it would at least be possible for Watkins to catch up. I'm not saying EA is right with these ratings. For play now, they are slightly inaccurate, but as it relates to CFM, the ratings at least work with the way that progression system works.

# 74 NDAlum @ 07/21/14 11:07 PM
These guys are actually rated 90s but they lower AWR to artificially lower their OVR lol

Same old song and dance. Might look into the FBR rosters

Sent from my iPhone 5

# 75 ggsimmonds @ 07/21/14 11:07 PM
Quote:
Stay calm, and join the Empire.
1. I know you cited raw grades on this forum before. If I recall you gave Drew Brees' arm strength of 2.4 or something similar. I confess that such a number is meaningless to me unless I know the methodology though. And that is what you cannot reveal. Trust me I get that. I am also aware that many times Donny makes comments that leave us shaking our heads. But there are other times where he cites secrets of the trade. By nature I am not a trusting person. I have no reason to believe you are lying, but nor do I have reason to trust you. So again, my questions revolve more around how the raw data is acquired/determined and I understand why you cannot make that public. But when you constantly bring up "I have data that supports it" I admittedly roll my eyes. I hope you understand my position; it is not meant to be hostile.

2.This relates to the above answer. I have no idea who you are; your faq is vague in this area. Might I suggest citing your educational background or something to that effect on the site? To answer your question, sure I would trust the brain surgeon. I would not trust the guy on the internet who says he is a brain surgeon.

3. & 4. " I can't tell you if one came in at the very top, but it wouldn't surprise me"
"
Based on the data I have, it has never happened"
Beyond my confusion with those statements, I fully agree that Madden tends to overrate rookies. They tend to treat an average top 10 pick as a once in a decade talent.

5. I am a bit confused on this one. We are not talking about scouting prospects and the draft. I agree that teams should draft on traits; that is fairly clear cut to me. But it is not the same as rating players in a video game. In Madden we are dealing with known quantities (aside from rookies obviously). The issue to me is about getting those known quantities to add up. Generally speaking you can use production to grade a player in madden categories. PFF ratings for an OT in pass block could translate to PBK. A corner's grades in man coverage could translate to their MCV rating.

Are there problems? Absolutely. I read the series on QBs in focus and saw something striking. I looked at QB's numbers on out routes and sorted by average distance thrown. I don't remember the exact numbers but one number was significantly higher than the rest. My initial thought was wow this guy must have a canon of an arm. Turns out the QB was Russell Wilson. Not to say he has a weak arm, but I was surprised. I suspect that his high number was due to rollouts or bootlegs. Point is, it creates a problem. But generally it is adequate to look at production and tendencies and extrapolate individual traits.

# 76 DCEBB2001 @ 07/21/14 11:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Pittbull
This is why, in no way shape or form should it be ONE guys job to rate every player in the NFL. It should be "Maddens" ratings of the players NOT Donny Moore's ratings. How did this guy bamboozle EA into thinking he is the end all be all in knowledge of NFL players talents? I would think a former scout of even a former player would make a ection. And definitely not one person. It should be a team of people bouncing opinions and facts to come up with the most realistic ratings possible.
How about hiring a scouting service that uses the data that an NFL front office uses based on the opinions of several professional scouts.

Would that work?

# 77 ggsimmonds @ 07/21/14 11:15 PM
Quote:
How about hiring a scouting service that uses the data that an NFL front office uses based on the opinions of several professional scouts.

Would that work?
Would work with gameplay, but not within their marketing strategy. To be quite honest I almost feel guilty posting in this thread as I partly feel like I am contributing to the problem.

# 78 ggsimmonds @ 07/21/14 11:20 PM
Quote:
To be fair he did mention his ratings team in the article that was posted tonight. I'm not sure how many that is but, they still would be using the same faulty methods imo. Even if their way made the game play at its best I wouldn't mind as much but, other ways of ratings play much better. For one thing acceleration and pursuit are always so high it messes up gameplay. I still can't understand why a player with 87 spd would have 96 pur. All pur really does in game is make them run faster to the ball. Players can't run faster then their ability allows. If you want to use a high Play recognition to simulate smarts and anticipation fine but, why make everyone run faster with another rating?
You hit on my biggest gripe with the game. The underlying code is so borked that they use ratings to cut corners.They seemingly cannot simulate intelligence. Adding to that is the ambiguity behind many ratings.

Wtf does awareness actually do? It is even more of an issue when it comes to rookies because as someone pointed out, nerfing awareness is their favorite way to drop a player's overall.

# 79 CM Hooe @ 07/21/14 11:28 PM
Quote:

Young players have lower attribute upgrade XP costs than old players in Connected Franchise and the base cost of upgrading attributes increases as a player ages, which simulates what you're describing.

I don't want to sidetrack this discussion about the merits of Connected Franchise - that's for another thread - but I just wanted to clarify that this is in-fact considered in the design of the mode.

# 80 MEEKS973 @ 07/21/14 11:31 PM
To make a case for the OL SPD/ACC ratings. I believe "high" speed/acc matter for the plays where you a have a pulling guard. Idk bout many of you guys, but I wouldn't want to have a 50 spd/40 acc pulling for me. That's just my thinking though.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.