Home
Madden NFL 15 News Post

Gamestop always seems to release a few nuggets of information before game companies do. It looks like they have come through yet again with a few Madden NFL 15 connected franchise details. While it isn't much, it's definitely something worth talking about, at least until EA Sports and the Madden team decide to.

Quote:
Connected Franchise - Interact and build your team with more control in Game Prep all-new to CFM. Want to develop your backup QB? Between matchups, spend extra time on him each week to earn training points without having to force him into the real games before he is ready. Also new in CFM is the Confidence rating system. Build your teams' confidence through performance and front office transactions. Balance keeping player's confidence up, to increase abilities and build player XP.

Let us know what you think.

Game: Madden NFL 15Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 42 - View All
Madden NFL 15 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 tdogg097 @ 07/29/14 02:36 PM
I really liked the idea of the XP system but if there aren't significant improvements this year I would prefer them to go back to the auto progress system. Practicing in M25 was cheating if there were CPU teams in the CFM. And then if you didn't practice your backups wouldn't progress.

If it doesn't work this year they should use a system similar to The Show and then incorporate the drills/practice in the offseason.

# 82 michiganfan8620 @ 07/29/14 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakingBad2013
I'm sorry, but I can't be excited for Franchise news. There's ONE thing that Madden needs to do before it can be considered a good franchise mode. Its one thing that encompasses real life football.

Unpredictability

The NFL, and sports and general are exciting because you NEVER know what is going to happen. People thought the Broncos would win this past years SuperBowl, but they got blown out by a defense-first team. You have Huge draft busts, and huge draft sleepers that are the true make-up on the NFL off-season. You have QB battles in Pre-Season and Training Camp that have spectators clamoring until "their guy" wins or loses the starting job. You have players like Michael Vick who have been injury plagued and teams have to account for that risk. You have personalities on teams that mesh and don't mesh with others. Off-the-field problems. etc.

How can we manufacture unpredictability?

MAKE RATINGS MATTER!

The Personality Trait, Confidence Trait, and all other attributes should mean something, wouldn't ya think?

I want to know that when Peyton Manning goes down, even if its for a Quarter, that I have to change my entire gameplan, I have to find a way to manage this game, to eek out a win, or to at least keep my team in it for a while.

I want to feel that I have a liability on the field if I actually do. If there's a CB or Safety that is terrible at coverage, but super-fast, I want to know that I can target him with my WR, or have help over top if I have the said CB.

If ratings mattered, you could specifically target your team's weak-spots through game play, not just the ratings that you see on the screen. I want to FEEL that I need to address certain positions in the Draft in Free Agency. If ratings mattered, it would vastly improve the entire experience of the Madden Connected Franchise mode. More so than perfect commentary, perfect graphics, weekly prep, or even a highly desired half-time show.

Until this happens, CFM cannot function as a SIM Mode.

Imagine you draft a guy with 5 confidence, but 1 personality, and he doesn't mesh with his teammates, he'd have to get into a certain system to reach his maximum potential, where everyone is one his side, or a cast around him that is similar.

Imagine, you have ratings that are accurately transferred from the visual number, to the physical on the field. A rating system that is simple percentages. They are over-complicating the process, and a lot of ratings are over shadowed.

Here's my Theory:

Make all ratings a percentage between 1-99, if you have a QB with 95 Throw Power, make him be able to thrown 95% of the possible throwing length (wether it me 80 yards, 70, 65 yards etc.) Whatever the MAX Throwing Distance is, he should be able to the said percentage. Colt McCoy, at a 40% throwing power can only cover 40% of that field length, anything beyond should be short, or off-target.

As for most attributes it'd be an if-then scenario of basic math. A WR with 37 Catch should drop almost 60% of his targets, this would be someone very low on the depth chart, if even on the team.

If there I have a top flight CB with 98 Man Coverage, it should mean that in 98% of his snaps, he will be tight with his man, this percentage could be per season or per game.

If I have a RB with 60 CAR and 80 TRK, every game he should have a 40% chance at fumbling the ball, while having an 80% chance to brute his way through a defender.

If the ratings tied, it would literally just be a 50-50 toss up, hopefully based on position, momentum, and clear physics. If I have AP and Luke Keuchly one on one in open field, positioning, momentum would be the only factor at that point (If the Breaking Tackles and Tackling rating were even)

As for OVERALL, it would still be a percentage. Being an 80 overall, would mean that you are in the top 1/5 of the league. If you are a 50 OVR you are probably a tweener just struggling to have a spot as a backup, or worse. If you are 25-30% or lower you are fighting for your spot through Practice, Special Teams, and barely making the team year to year. Some teams probably have 50s and 60s on their teams as starters, due to lack of talent. For example, the Browns' running backs and QBs last year, all were probably backups on most other teams, therefore the team would take heavily consider signing an improvement at each position sometime in the off-season (As they did).

This would clearly separate Cam Newton and Matt Cassell. Patrick Willis and Stewart Bradley. Vince Wilfork and Mike Patterson. Calvin Johnson and James Hardy. We don't even have to be that drastic, what if we were splitting hairs between someone like Darren McFadden and MJD, or Matt Stafford and Matt Ryan. Maybe its Patrick Peterson and Vontae Davis you're comparing, they'd both be good, but certain ratings would probably separate them entirely. If you find that you prefer a stronger QB, and Stafford has the strength, but Ryan has more accuracy, would it tip your scales to lean towards someone a bit stronger?

The confidence rating will make or break a player, if you draft a player that has a 1 confidence, maybe he will progress slower, he won't get off the edge as fast, or break on a ball quickly, maybe he will alligator arm a pass, or go down easier as a ball carrier.

The Personality rating will matter as well, if you have a big personality guy, that doesn't back it up, maybe his overall goes down, or teams don't look to obtain him because of his character issue. Or If there is someone that has high personality, and high skill, that make owners clamor to sign him, to sell jerseys, and boost the entire team's confidence by having such a statement player on their team.

With the new rating system, injuries are more devastating, off-season is more strategical, and important, and game play is that much better, finding mis-matches and knowing your team's strengths and or, liabilities.

Lastly, hide all player ratings. Go off of college stats, in detail, combines, pro-days, and rely on your scouts to tell you specific info/player comparisons. This would widely change the hit or miss unpredictability of the draft, and you'll have to go on pure GUT feeling with a lot of guys. If there's a WR that ran a 4.40, at 6'3 220 but led CFB in drops and fumbles, maybe he's not the guy to draft, or he's a project player for the later rounds. Something like that would be quite entertaining, wouldn't it?

Until something of this nature is produced, Franchise mode will continue to be stale. The Owner Mode, the Highlight shows, the non-gameplay features will be all for not, without proper ratings.
First of all, most people who know more about football thought the Seahawks would win, it was the casual fans who don't really follow the game too in depth that thought the Broncos would blow out the Seahawks.

Second of all, the ratings do matter. A QB with 95 throw power can throw the ball deeper than a QB with 80 throw power. RB's with higher trucking are better at trucking than guys with lower trucking ratings. Your percentage idea would not work, no WR in the entire league drops 60% of their targets. Most WR's probably have a fairly similar drop per target ratio, thus making it so that system would provide no differentiation.

Ratings do separate players, its just that many people don't really pay attention enough to notice them. Yes, they are currently a bit too close together, but its not as big of a problem as it is made out to be. If the opponent has a terrible CB or safety, it is easy to exploit that, you just have to know how to do that, which apparently you don't know how to do.

And with the recent addition of draft stories, that last comment you made about going by stats and finding project players actually does sort of exist already, albeit not being too in depth and only involving a small portion of the draft class.

# 83 Khanchus @ 07/29/14 03:04 PM
a few sentences that put a little hope in me that was beginning to disappear.

i feel left on the back burner

I am a CFM guy even though ill play tornaments or online games if im waiting for the week to advance or play against friends

If cfm does have a really good base and i hope they build on to it

but i am beginning to hate MUT more and more...cant blame EA for focusing on their money maker but man....some improvements or additions maybe hard coding wise but i think from december to beginning august is enough time to work out some kinks or what not.....

MUT ugh! i hate it i hate it i hate it.....people paying for a superstar team because most of the time they are to trash to even play with a regular team i hate it i hate it i hate it

I have a few friends that probably spent upwards of 1000$ last yr alone on madden MUT packs, so sickening... i can only imagine what the community is doing.... I played a friend who has 3 plays in his playbook and could never stand a chance to beat me....i tried out MUT and had a team like 74 overall....man i lost 31-3...fake fake fake lol off topic sorry.....

this one made me LOL i was watching clips of random friends playing M25 and most of the time they were playing MUT and 90% of the time maybe more when i was watching a clip it was the same ol play over and over again....no skills.... (sorry about my sort of off topic rant...carry on...)

# 84 lopey986 @ 07/29/14 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkwolf90
I've noticed a lot of people commenting about how the Schemes effect players overalls, but I haven't noticed anyone commenting about it for the reasons I dislike them, so I'll just throw in my $0.02. While I don't like that it drops guys ratings by so many points, I know how to work around that for my team. Not to mention I look for players I know are good rather then looking for the highest overall. The CPU doesn't see things the same way I do, all the CPU sees is the Overall, leading them to cut players like Dexter McCluster, who is a great Punt/Kick Returner, or Willis McGahee, the list goes on.

In M25 I've seen Charles Woodson cut, and without fail if I'm not controlling the 49ers they cut Kendall Hunter and the next year they cut Frank Gore. To me that is annoying and wouldn't happen in the real NFL, nor would it happen in Madden if changing schemes didn't cause players ratings to drop so many points.

I can understand some changes in rating for different and new schemes. But not as huge a drop off, and all players should fit the scheme of the team they are playing for at the beginning of a CFM. After all they go through training camp and learn new schemes, or get better at their roles with that team and the schemes they use.
Yeah, that's part of what I hate as well, users are basically playing a different game than the computer teams. That is what I fear with this skills trainer, is it is something the computer won't utilize so we will be able to pump our teams up faster and better than the computer.

# 85 BreakingBad2013 @ 07/29/14 03:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganfan8620
First of all, most people who know more about football thought the Seahawks would win, it was the casual fans who don't really follow the game too in depth that thought the Broncos would blow out the Seahawks.

Second of all, the ratings do matter. A QB with 95 throw power can throw the ball deeper than a QB with 80 throw power. RB's with higher trucking are better at trucking than guys with lower trucking ratings. Your percentage idea would not work, no WR in the entire league drops 60% of their targets. Most WR's probably have a fairly similar drop per target ratio, thus making it so that system would provide no differentiation.

Ratings do separate players, its just that many people don't really pay attention enough to notice them. Yes, they are currently a bit too close together, but its not as big of a problem as it is made out to be. If the opponent has a terrible CB or safety, it is easy to exploit that, you just have to know how to do that, which apparently you don't know how to do.

And with the recent addition of draft stories, that last comment you made about going by stats and finding project players actually does sort of exist already, albeit not being too in depth and only involving a small portion of the draft class.
The draft stories only add a slight background, but have nothing to do with player stats and the relation on the field. I'm saying, sometimes in the NFL there will be guys that coaches take to be a project, and use their measurables and try to improve their technique and coach them up. The point is, we know, by scouting points, exactly what a player is and isn't before he's drafted, which no team KNOWS that, they just give it their best shot based on tape, scouting reports, and scouting combine.

You're right, there is no WR in the league that drops 60% of his passes, thats why he's not in the league. The point is that, if there is a guy with good speed and height, but terrible catching, its should oust him from the league, and he shouldn't be worthy of being in the game, or he's a CB not a WR lol. However, wouldn't it really seperate guys that are a 95 catch, and a guy that is a 75-80 catch? You're talking about 15% more drops throughout a season or career, which could be a lot, and important catches. The point isn't that there are people who drop that many balls, its seperates Stars, from Good players, from solid guys, from average, from tweeners, from bench players, from free agents, from out of the league guys. . . In Madden there is 90-99 who are Great, 80-89 are above average to great, 70-79 are average, and everyone else is serviceable.

In Madden, all ratings do NOT matter. That's why they are implementing a QB accuracy algorithm that makes inaccurate QBs have a few bad passes lol. That's why Josh Johnson and Terrell Pryor could be used regularly. There are a fair amount of ratings that do matter, Speed, Throw Power, are pretty much it. In M25 you could truck with anyone, thats why they are trying to fix that too lol. I can be Lamar Miller or Reggie Bush (non-truckers) and use the stick, and the defender would just fall over lol. That ratings doesn't matter.

There are a couple dozen ratings, and we can name 2 or 3 that actually impact the game. OL/DL didn't matter, WR/CB didn't matter (outside of speed) Its a shame, really.

There is a video on Youtube, the Patriots Kicker, throwing a ball backwards, perfectly accurate for steven ridley for about 7 yards, over a LB in tight coverage. There's another where Nate Soldier lines up at WR, and burns a CB on an out slant route. There are plenty of videos online, and try it yourself, see how all the ratings actually stack up. Make a 6'2 WR with 99 everything, except Man Coverage, Zone Coverage, Tackle and tell me if he every succeeds. The same with a WR, with 20 catching, same with a RB, without the truck, elsuive, or carry.

# 86 Emman2013 @ 07/29/14 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanchus
a few sentences that put a little hope in me that was beginning to disappear.

i feel left on the back burner

I am a CFM guy even though ill play tornaments or online games if im waiting for the week to advance or play against friends

If cfm does have a really good base and i hope they build on to it

but i am beginning to hate MUT more and more...cant blame EA for focusing on their money maker but man....some improvements or additions maybe hard coding wise but i think from december to beginning august is enough time to work out some kinks or what not.....

MUT ugh! i hate it i hate it i hate it.....people paying for a superstar team because most of the time they are to trash to even play with a regular team i hate it i hate it i hate it

I have a few friends that probably spent upwards of 1000$ last yr alone on madden MUT packs, so sickening... i can only imagine what the community is doing.... I played a friend who has 3 plays in his playbook and could never stand a chance to beat me....i tried out MUT and had a team like 74 overall....man i lost 31-3...fake fake fake lol off topic sorry.....

this one made me LOL i was watching clips of random friends playing M25 and most of the time they were playing MUT and 90% of the time maybe more when i was watching a clip it was the same ol play over and over again....no skills.... (sorry about my sort of off topic rant...carry on...)
This post actually made me laugh so hard, people spending over $1000 on MUT packs trying to get players for collections, running that same play every down.

It worries me that Ea might make more improvements in MUT than in CFM.

# 87 totalpoop @ 07/29/14 03:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lopey986
Yeah, that's part of what I hate as well, users are basically playing a different game than the computer teams. That is what I fear with this skills trainer, is it is something the computer won't utilize so we will be able to pump our teams up faster and better than the computer.

i think it's safe to assume that is a fear most people on this forum that play offline franchise also have.

# 88 cooper417 @ 07/29/14 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkwolf90
I've noticed a lot of people commenting about how the Schemes effect players overalls, but I haven't noticed anyone commenting about it for the reasons I dislike them, so I'll just throw in my $0.02. While I don't like that it drops guys ratings by so many points, I know how to work around that for my team. Not to mention I look for players I know are good rather then looking for the highest overall. The CPU doesn't see things the same way I do, all the CPU sees is the Overall, leading them to cut players like Dexter McCluster, who is a great Punt/Kick Returner, or Willis McGahee, the list goes on.

In M25 I've seen Charles Woodson cut, and without fail if I'm not controlling the 49ers they cut Kendall Hunter and the next year they cut Frank Gore. To me that is annoying and wouldn't happen in the real NFL, nor would it happen in Madden if changing schemes didn't cause players ratings to drop so many points.

I can understand some changes in rating for different and new schemes. But not as huge a drop off, and all players should fit the scheme of the team they are playing for at the beginning of a CFM. After all they go through training camp and learn new schemes, or get better at their roles with that team and the schemes they use.
Players like McCluster get cut because of cap room. Chiefs had almost none after the 1st season. I cut him on my roster too because of his injury rating & lack of depth at WR. He missed like 6-8 games every season. I needed a guy I could count on to play 16 games.
The Chiefs let him go in real life.

Kendall Hunter just tore his ACL in real life so it could be a similar situation. I don't remember his injury rating for M25. The 49ers also have a ton of depth at the RB position.

Roster depth & cap room all come into play when deciding who stays & who goes.

But I do agree that there were questionable drops in M25. I saw BJ Raji cut in preseason before ever playing a game. He was on the last year of his deal, but why would the CPU cut him before the season even started?

# 89 CM Hooe @ 07/29/14 04:05 PM
We're not going to derail this thread with discussion of ratings, please.

Thanks.

# 90 michiganfan8620 @ 07/29/14 04:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakingBad2013
The draft stories only add a slight background, but have nothing to do with player stats and the relation on the field. I'm saying, sometimes in the NFL there will be guys that coaches take to be a project, and use their measurables and try to improve their technique and coach them up. The point is, we know, by scouting points, exactly what a player is and isn't before he's drafted, which no team KNOWS that, they just give it their best shot based on tape, scouting reports, and scouting combine.

You're right, there is no WR in the league that drops 60% of his passes, thats why he's not in the league. The point is that, if there is a guy with good speed and height, but terrible catching, its should oust him from the league, and he shouldn't be worthy of being in the game, or he's a CB not a WR lol. However, wouldn't it really seperate guys that are a 95 catch, and a guy that is a 75-80 catch? You're talking about 15% more drops throughout a season or career, which could be a lot, and important catches. The point isn't that there are people who drop that many balls, its seperates Stars, from Good players, from solid guys, from average, from tweeners, from bench players, from free agents, from out of the league guys. . . In Madden there is 90-99 who are Great, 80-89 are above average to great, 70-79 are average, and everyone else is serviceable.

In Madden, all ratings do NOT matter. That's why they are implementing a QB accuracy algorithm that makes inaccurate QBs have a few bad passes lol. That's why Josh Johnson and Terrell Pryor could be used regularly. There are a fair amount of ratings that do matter, Speed, Throw Power, are pretty much it. In M25 you could truck with anyone, thats why they are trying to fix that too lol. I can be Lamar Miller or Reggie Bush (non-truckers) and use the stick, and the defender would just fall over lol. That ratings doesn't matter.

There are a couple dozen ratings, and we can name 2 or 3 that actually impact the game. OL/DL didn't matter, WR/CB didn't matter (outside of speed) Its a shame, really.

There is a video on Youtube, the Patriots Kicker, throwing a ball backwards, perfectly accurate for steven ridley for about 7 yards, over a LB in tight coverage. There's another where Nate Soldier lines up at WR, and burns a CB on an out slant route. There are plenty of videos online, and try it yourself, see how all the ratings actually stack up. Make a 6'2 WR with 99 everything, except Man Coverage, Zone Coverage, Tackle and tell me if he every succeeds. The same with a WR, with 20 catching, same with a RB, without the truck, elsuive, or carry.
I thought you wanted it realistic. Having WR's drop more passes to show differentiation in the game when it doesn't work like that in real life doesn't make sense. The guys with the highest drop percentage are around 20%, however, those guys only had 10 targets or so, which is not a large enough sample size to say those guys would drop 20 passes if they had 100 targets. Of guys who had enough targets last season, there is about a 5% range that they fall in between, and who knows what kind of throws caused these drops.

And you saying ratings don't matter, once again, wrong. You must be playing on rookie difficulty if you are trucking with ease with speed backs. And you saying speed is all that matters on defense, wrong once again. Timing is important in beating fast corners with subpar coverage skills, you have to throw the ball on the cut, as that is where the WR would have the advantage. If you wait too long, the corner is able to recover because he is faster than the WR, which is what can happen in real life too. QB accuracy was a bit off in Madden 25, it was a rating that mattered a little bit, (you can tell a difference when passing with someone like Manning)but it was still easy to pass with low accuracy guys, which is why those scramblers were effective. But EA said that was something they fixed.

OL/DL ratings, interior wise, they didn't have too big of an impact last year, I will agree there. However, with the new steering interactions, I feel like that could cause the ratings to matter now. The OT/DE ratings however, definitely did matter. Talented pass rushers like Wake dominated poor OT's, and great LT's like Joe Thomas dominated poor DE's.

Under rookie difficulty, ratings really didn't matter, as people playing on rookie difficulty just want to have fun with their favorite team. EA wanted to make it possible for a kid whose favorite team is the Jaguars to beat the Seahawks.

# 91 Darkwolf90 @ 07/29/14 04:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper417
Players like McCluster get cut because of cap room. Chiefs had almost none after the 1st season. I cut him on my roster too because of his injury rating & lack of depth at WR. He missed like 6-8 games every season. I needed a guy I could count on to play 16 games.
The Chiefs let him go in real life.

Kendall Hunter just tore his ACL in real life so it could be a similar situation. I don't remember his injury rating for M25. The 49ers also have a ton of depth at the RB position.

Roster depth & cap room all come into play when deciding who stays & who goes.

But I do agree that there were questionable drops in M25. I saw BJ Raji cut in preseason before ever playing a game. He was on the last year of his deal, but why would the CPU cut him before the season even started?
Okay perhaps McCluster was a bad example, but Hunter was always cut week 1 of the preseason, and Gore week one the next year. I'll agree the 49ers probably have the best depth at HB, but I doubt a player being injured or injury prone would effect the 49ers, look at Frank Gore's past. Not to mention they drafted Marcus Lattemore, who's injured both knees in consecutive years.

# 92 BreakingBad2013 @ 07/29/14 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
We're not going to derail this thread with discussion of ratings, please.

Thanks.
No Problem. These small tidbits of this reveal could be a good step forward, depending on the actual impact it has on the franchise mode.

# 93 trey2k198003 @ 07/29/14 06:24 PM
Quote:
And that ruined CFM for me. It was annoying as **** constantly adjusting schemes to get a players overall to go up. Just give me a static freaking overall so I know who is the better player.

Curious how this RUINED the game for you? If you put Darren Sproles in the same offense and use him the same way was you would adrian peterson hewould not be as good as he is with the Saints/ Eagles you put mike vick in the patriots system his rating would and should go down. i think it makes it a little more intresting and not eveyone is going for the same guys in the draft or in F.A. because they play different. thats just how i see it. Sorry it ruined CFM for you so easily.

# 94 trey2k198003 @ 07/29/14 06:28 PM
Quote:
Ive seen the same thing didnt like it but Lattimore gets way better for the Niner and i think Gore is a old back like 30 , 31 after a yr and the CPU docent want to pay an old back alot of money. Hoe ive always viewed it. Frank Gore is good but in this day all running backs are replaceable

# 95 Sub_ZERO2777 @ 07/29/14 07:41 PM
someone explain this to me why is it the when i started a seahawks cfm Geno atkins is 97 overall but when i started another CFM with colts(best team i used because the the rating for other players are pretty good) Geno was 68 lol what

# 96 charter04 @ 07/29/14 07:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub_ZERO2777
someone explain this to me why is it the when i started a seahawks cfm Geno atkins is 97 overall but when i started another CFM with colts(best team i used because the the rating for other players are pretty good) Geno was 68 lol what

Explain this to me. What does this comment have to do with this thread?

# 97 Skyboxer @ 07/29/14 08:30 PM
Quote:
1: This has zero to do with this thread..
2: Overall is seen differently based on each teams scheme.

# 98 Sub_ZERO2777 @ 07/29/14 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
i was just had a question because player overalls were all over the place ,i just like to keep my CFM realistic thats all .

# 99 Sub_ZERO2777 @ 07/29/14 09:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
i just had a question because player overalls were all over the place ,i just like to keep my CFM realistic thats all .

# 100 Skyboxer @ 07/29/14 09:07 PM
Quote:
i was just had a question because player overalls were all over the place ,i just like to keep my CFM realistic thats all .
Understood but just saying this thread has zero to do with Madden 25.
Anyways like I said player overalls will be different based on what team is looking at them.

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.