Home
Madden NFL 15 News Post

EA Sports is currently livestreaming Madden NFL 15, detailing the presentation and graphics. (Note: As of 3:30 PM EST, the stream has now ended. We'll effort an archived version soon!)

UPDATE: Click here to watch the archived stream. (It takes some time to load...)

Here are some thoughts on the stream today:
  • The halftime show is definitely improved and of good quality. The problem will be most will find it perfectly skippable, but there aren't any real cases where a halftime show is must-see TV, even in real-life. It's sponsored by Verizon, so there's that.
  • Commentary was ok, you didn't hear much of it due to the dev commentary over the gameplay, but it seemed to flow a bit better. We won't know anything about that until a later date.
  • Coaches have unique body types and head models, so they do look better. Coaches we saw today (Reid, Tomlin mainly) were definitely a step up.
  • Celebrations and such definitely are smoother/more aware of the context they're happening in since they happen within the gameplay itself and not a loaded cut-scene. Still some wonky instances but overall better.
  • The developers talked about equipment a bit. The new uniforms for each team are going to be in, and uniform/helmet degradation are in as well.
  • Switching of cameras was very smooth, definitely a huge improvement there.
  • Sidelines are much busier now, more people on them, etc. They still don't look perfect, but from where we were to where we are now, huge improvement.
  • Overall the presentation is quite good in-game this year, it definitely has a new layer of polish on it that wasn't there last year. It's not perfect, but clearly its taken yet another leap ahead this season.
What did you think of the stream?

Game: Madden NFL 15Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 42 - View All
Madden NFL 15 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 volstopfan14 @ 07/30/14 04:36 PM
The Eagles playbook is still seemingly missing packaged plays. Pretty disappointing, though I can't say I'm surprised.

# 102 The JareBear @ 07/30/14 04:39 PM
The play at 20:01 bothers me. Why is Hali going for a pick from behind the guy he is covering? Is he expecting the ball to phase through the fullback like he is intangible? This happens a lot in Madden and needs to be fixed. He should have been ready to make the tackle as soon as the ball hit the FBs hands

# 103 SageInfinite @ 07/30/14 05:03 PM
It looks like they removed the sig qb stances this year as well. From what I've seen so far, Alex Smith and Big Ben both were standing the same exact way. Also from the pic with Tony Romo he was standing the same way as well. I don't understand why stuff like this gets removed. I was looking at footage from Madden 10 and they had an animation with Peyton Manning's "happy feet" in the pocket. That has since been removed. I don't understand why the QB position is getting more generic by the year.

# 104 bigdooky15 @ 07/30/14 05:08 PM
Did anyone else think the Steelers uniforms looked more Dark Grey than Black?

# 105 drlw322 @ 07/30/14 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
It looks like they removed the sig qb stances this year as well. From what I've seen so far, Alex Smith and Big Ben both were standing the same exact way. Also from the pic with Tony Romo he was standing the same way as well. I don't understand why stuff like this gets removed. I was looking at footage from Madden 10 and they had an animation with Peyton Manning's "happy feet" in the pocket. That has since been removed. I don't understand why the QB position is getting more generic by the year.
I kept on asking them during the stream if they removed the sig throw animations and they wouldn't respond. I have not seen one sig throw animation in any of the stream or E3 gameplay footage. That kinda stuff has me worried. We are suppose to add animations to personalize each player not take away.

But the overall gameplay and tackling does look better as secondary tackler seem more aggressive to finish the play. I love the one handed attempt by Heward-Bey to catch the ball where it just hit his hand and fall. I love the effort attempt the Cecil Short on the deep ball.

# 106 aholbert32 @ 07/30/14 05:29 PM
Looks like stamina may work this year. The CPU put in Knile Davis at the end of the first drive on 2nd down. Charles only ran the ball 3 times before that sub.

# 107 charter04 @ 07/30/14 05:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
All Pro is what they are playing on.

How do you know it's AP? At the beginning it doesn't show what the difficulty is. Did they mention it? Not saying your wrong just wanting it confirmed

# 108 DNMHIII @ 07/30/14 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by charter04
How do you know it's AP? At the beginning it doesn't show what the difficulty is. Did they mention it? Not saying your wrong just wanting it confirmed
I heard them say it was AP at some point.

# 109 JayD @ 07/30/14 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Looks like stamina may work this year. The CPU put in Knile Davis at the end of the first drive on 2nd down. Charles only ran the ball 3 times before that sub.
Well it may work in exhibition mode but what about CFM? It has been broken within CFM for a few years now.

# 110 friscob @ 07/30/14 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD
Well it may work in exhibition mode but what about CFM? It has been broken within CFM for a few years now.
Not really. Crank up the fatigue and edit the stamina and it worked fine. It takes a decent amount of effort though

# 111 PacMan3000 @ 07/30/14 05:55 PM
Just watched the stream archive.

Not sure why, but after the great first stream, this one was quite disappointing.

I really wish that Madden would improve the lighting for 1 pm games. Everything looks so utterly washed out by the sun. I'm looking at the helmets, and both the Steelers and Chiefs helmets are so washed out by the sunlight, they almost look translucent. I just don't think it looks realistic at all. And worse, I don't think it visually looks good. It affects the color of the grass, there's no contrasts or shadows anywhere. Everything looks flat and visually boring.

Lighting at 4 pm, on the other hand, looks quite good.

I thought halftime was improved. Commentary matched what was being said. The one issue I have with it, and with the presentation in general, is this overall rushed feeling. It's like they are trying to hurry me through a game that I paid for. It's like when you travel to a city but only have a day to really experience it--you're there, but you really didn't feel like you got a true sense of it because you were rushed.

That's how I feel about the Madden presentation. When QB's walk up to the line, the camera cuts to a super close up of Big Ben or Foles. Great. Looks perfect. But it stays on screen for literally 1.5 seconds. Too short. Or replays, which for some bizarre reason start too LATE and end about two seconds too EARLY. The replay is supposed to show you what happened, but instead, the replay is immediately dropping you into the play as it's happening. It's akin to a breaking news story on your local TV channel dropping you back into your regularly scheduled programming--you've missed the start (or potentially the end) of the show. In short, you're not getting the entirety of the replay.

On top of that, the replays are super close up. It can look OK at times. And I like the cross fade and such. But as a presentation whole, you have a replay that begins two seconds too late, ends a few seconds too early, and is shot from such a tight angle that you have no concept of how the play was constructed.

This, too, is the problem with the halftime replays, as well.

I wish they would stop rushing the gamer. Just build a solid presentation package that's true to life, and have the people who don't want to see it button through it. Because at the end of the day, whether you trim the presentation and take short cuts, the people who don't care for it aren't going to care for it period--no matter what you do. But there's a lot of people who DO want to see this stuff, and you're not allowing the actually presentation to breathe and depict what we see on Sundays.

# 112 asu666 @ 07/30/14 06:05 PM
I want NCAA 14 style scores from around the league updates to provide context to the game I'm playing. I hate waiting until the end of the game to check on scores. It's a step that can easily be skipped in-game and make my game more interesting.

# 113 Kramer5150 @ 07/30/14 06:07 PM
Quote:
yea,in the beginning right before they start playing it's mentioned that it is being played on All-Pro.

# 114 charter04 @ 07/30/14 06:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowherPower
yea,in the beginning right before they start playing it's mentioned that it is being played on All-Pro.

I heard that after I posted. I just hope sliders aren't broken again

# 115 ApolloKids @ 07/30/14 06:17 PM
Is there a link to watch the whole video now?

# 116 charter04 @ 07/30/14 06:27 PM
The presentation and gameplay are about what I expected so far. The demo and 5 days early access is going to make or break it for me. The plan is to buy but, if it's got the same old problems with gameplay it might be a pass. If I change sliders and either nothing changes or the wrong thing changes I'm passing. Sliders are huge part of gameplay for me and I'm not waisting another year of my life trying get a doctorate in sliders just to get them halfway working. If they are still broken then they don't want my money.

# 117 iLLWiLL @ 07/30/14 06:31 PM
I am really not a fan of the game's dusk time lighting. It's like how football would look if there were no stadium lights on...yet they are obviously on.

Even at this time of the day, the stadium's lights would still flood & illuminate the field and the players ...

(but then again we haven't seen any night game screenshots, either)

# 118 iLLWiLL @ 07/30/14 06:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloKids
Is there a link to watch the whole video now?
see above...

# 119 bifflefan30 @ 07/30/14 06:46 PM
I'm sure they have a little time to polish up the half-time show before it goes gold.

# 120 Kramer5150 @ 07/30/14 06:48 PM
Quote:
The presentation and gameplay are about what I expected so far. The demo and 5 days early access is going to make or break it for me. The plan is to buy but, if it's got the same old problems with gameplay it might be a pass. If I change sliders and either nothing changes or the wrong thing changes I'm passing. Sliders are huge part of gameplay for me and I'm not waisting another year of my life trying get a doctorate in sliders just to get them halfway working. If they are still broken then they don't want my money.
This is my thinking as well,oh yea also what was added as far as CFM is important for me also.

I will say based on what I seen in the stream,pass coverage is definitely going to have to be looked at....but I also noticed that while watching it seemed who ever was playing,didn't know how to call defenses.

I would actually like to have penalties called in my games,and not have to put holding down to 1 to get a realistic running game.

Going back to my issues to whom ever was playing...and not knowing how to call defenses...I noticed on several occasions,that when 3 or 4 wides were called,he would stay in the 34 defense....so this could've lent itself to some of the poor coverages.

I will reserve judgement until I get to play the demo,but I sure as hell know I'm not buying without the option to try the demo.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.