Home
NBA Live 15 News Post

GameInformer has just posted 20 things about NBA Live 15 you need to know. It includes quite a few details about presentation, gameplay and game modes.

We have posted a few interesting details below, but make sure you read the entire article here.
  • The commentary team of Mike Breen and Jeff Van Gundy returns. Given last year’s wooden performances, this year EA’s focus is on getting more banter injected in the proceedings. The two are spending more time recording side by side, and like NBA 2K, that dialogue between the two can be interrupted when something significant happens on the court.
  • The developers have completely overhauled the passing game and added more control back from Live 10, which to many was the last decent basketball effort from EA.
  • EA is placing a big emphasis on transitional animations to make the action look more believable. This obviously includes getting rid of instances where players take shots with their backs to the basket, a particularly egregious animation foul that occurred last year.
  • Fans of the EASBL will have to wait another year before the mode returns. EA wants to wait until the head-to-head online competitions, general gameplay, and visuals are up to par before investing in online team play.

Game: NBA Live 15Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 13 - View All
NBA Live 15 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 ffaacc03 @ 08/08/14 12:20 PM
Would say this, after yesterdays news my excitement has done almost a 180 degree turn ...

I mean, I wasnt previously sure to buy a 2015 nba game but my interest was mostly on this game ... then those news got my interest back to a point of I am certaint to buy that other game (unless a major letdown of gameplay), even if not right away.

I havent lost interest on this game tho, but emotions have not spiked as the other one, hopefully Live can manage to make a good game so I can enjoy of having two options.

# 42 trig @ 08/08/14 12:26 PM
how can they base it on data when no ones playing live the past 5yrs. Features are just bonus at this point. I just hope they make a playable game this time. Last years demo was not even worth the download, waste of time and gigabytes. We need competition to keep 2k from slacking

# 43 da ThRONe @ 08/08/14 12:41 PM
Being that I've become almost strictly a BAP mode player. I'm instantly intrigued that they won't taking gamers down this fantasy road that 2K is taking it's gamers down. In favor of player development. If the gameplay is on par with the graphics I'll likely support EA this year.

# 44 CMH @ 08/08/14 04:46 PM
Every year I get excited about a dynasty mode. Every year I stop playing dynasty mode.

I think EA is right but that doesn't mean it should be ignored.

The lesson here is 2K making that same mistake and realizing people want that option, even if they eventually abandon it.

Live will see the errors of their way in ignoring a mode that less people want.

If the goal is to get people to try the game, offer them modes they want to play. Even one person can help push a title forward. Isn't that basically their mantra at this stage of their market position?

sent from my mobile device

# 45 shutdown10 @ 08/08/14 06:56 PM
Good run down of what they have in store for us with this year's title, but I still have an issue with how they are going about promoting this game. Why just give us one shot of Damian Lillard and his player model? Why not give us a full body shot of other various players so we can see a comparison between those body types? They need to stop playing this game of wait to see what the other basketball game is going to drop, and then make their move. They have to forget what the other side is doing and try to focus on restoring their brand. The only way they are going to do this is by continuing to be more transparent with the community. I'm not telling them to give us gameplay info now. I just want to see other player models since the focus for this year is graphics, gameplay, and presentation.

# 46 aholbert32 @ 08/08/14 07:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
I disagree in a big way.

This same mode was neglected on the 360 because I specifically remember them not changing much up until Live 09-10, and during Live 10 all they did was change the menus.

Im no big dynasty head but is he saying they are still ignoring it because teams don't keep players for long anymore? I don't understand that line of thinking myself.

I just dont see what damage a robust mode like that will do to your game. I think alot of people would play it, but you can't expect anyone to like something you don't care about if you know what I mean.
Also its not like Dynasty mode was good in Live 14. It was as bare bones as can be. No editing. No 30 team control. No sliders.

As great as the gameplay in 15 could be (and I have my doubts), I need a reason to play. Especially since I'm not an online guy. I cant just play quick games and their Live Seasons mode. I tried that with NBA2k14 and I hated it because the games didnt mean anything. If I won or lost it didnt matter because nobody's record changed and the stats werent saved.

Also I'm surprised at how forgiving a group people seem to be here. The developer outright admits that 14 wasnt ready for release and that they released it anyway. Why would that make me confident they are going to release a solid game this year?

# 47 CMH @ 08/08/14 07:27 PM
I do think they made it obvious very early that the game was not going to be great off the bat.

I remember it being a conversation piece because members used it as proof they should not buy the game the first year while others said they want to be a part of helping it grow.

# 48 kolanji @ 08/08/14 08:45 PM
Despite NBA live not being as good as people expected it to be since E3 13, EA still released a demo unlike the competition.... they gave a sample of the gameplay and the control schemes....

NBA live is a work in progress and that is clearly stated by the team, and they understand that it will not reach the top in one year, heck they admit to having a plan that they are working towards but it will take more than one development cycle

Nobody isn't saying that the competition isn't a great game but even they have their weaknesses.. Live team is admitting theirs and that is a good start for me , denial fixes nothing... sure dynasty mode is not fully fleshed out and is not the focus right now.... yea I know for some it sucks .....but what good is any modes if the fundamentals, and the basketball gameplay mechanics are absent? Then 1000 modes together would be rendered useless.....

People's next gen interest starts with their eyes... every game is scrutinized about resolutions so far... lets be honest we all ridicule LIVE 14 for looking like a ps2 game... but for what seems like a few its all about gameplay.... well LIVE wants us to have both... and am cool with this being the starting point...
Given how short these dev cycles for sports games are... its welcoming the effort it takes to make a visual jump alone from 14 to 15

So how do u build a house? Not from the rooftop down but from the ground up ...NBA live needs it foundation to be solid to carry the weight of everything on top of it... and how would they do this...?? Make the game fundamentally sound with the early dev cycles ..get it to a solid state then add the flavoring

Its a work in progress... time is essential and you can chose to be a part of it or step aside and let the ppl willing enough to get involved help steer Live back to some essence of its formal self

So far the improvements spoken of are hopeful... how it plays out?? We will see with the demo or even before so.... but lets give hope a try...

Here is me hoping live give NBA gamers back an option

# 49 mlp111 @ 08/08/14 09:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolanji
Despite NBA live not being as good as people expected it to be since E3 13, EA still released a demo unlike the competition.... they gave a sample of the gameplay and the control schemes....

NBA live is a work in progress and that is clearly stated by the team, and they understand that it will not reach the top in one year, heck they admit to having a plan that they are working towards but it will take more than one development cycle

Nobody isn't saying that the competition isn't a great game but even they have their weaknesses.. Live team is admitting theirs and that is a good start for me , denial fixes nothing... sure dynasty mode is not fully fleshed out and is not the focus right now.... yea I know for some it sucks .....but what good is any modes if the fundamentals, and the basketball gameplay mechanics are absent? Then 1000 modes together would be rendered useless.....

People's next gen interest starts with their eyes... every game is scrutinized about resolutions so far... lets be honest we all ridicule LIVE 14 for looking like a ps2 game... but for what seems like a few its all about gameplay.... well LIVE wants us to have both... and am cool with this being the starting point...
Given how short these dev cycles for sports games are... its welcoming the effort it takes to make a visual jump alone from 14 to 15

So how do u build a house? Not from the rooftop down but from the ground up ...NBA live needs it foundation to be solid to carry the weight of everything on top of it... and how would they do this...?? Make the game fundamentally sound with the early dev cycles ..get it to a solid state then add the flavoring

Its a work in progress... time is essential and you can chose to be a part of it or step aside and let the ppl willing enough to get involved help steer Live back to some essence of its formal self

So far the improvements spoken of are hopeful... how it plays out?? We will see with the demo or even before so.... but lets give hope a try...

Here is me hoping live give NBA gamers back an option
We understand that man and i agree with a lot you said, however we all know live has been a work in progress for too long man 5+yrs! There progress should be at a higher level than it is at the moment (unless live 15 is outstanding) Its just disappointing that after ever live, the developers then admit the game wasnt ready or up to par and promise better with the newest edition, only to make the same blanket statements the next cycle around. Us fans deserve better and its time to hold live to there word

# 50 The 24th Letter @ 08/08/14 10:10 PM
Live is never going to have an actual solid foundation if we keep supplying excuses. How many years is this "work in progress" view supposed to hold up exactly? This isn't a kick starter or a project...they are charging $60 dollars for this game...this comes with responsibility.

Things like not having an option to edit players once again this year is a kick in the gut....the whole work in progress thing does nothing for me in year 2 man...

That said, the focus on gameplay is nice to hear....looking forward to see what they can do...

# 51 Rockie_Fresh88 @ 08/08/14 10:43 PM
I don't go deep into dynasty like some of you guys so I'm pretty excited for gameplay, visuals and big moments . The improved commentary will be a nice touch . Nice to have an auction in ultimate team.

# 52 Ermolli @ 08/08/14 11:15 PM
I feel like this should have been Live 14 instead of 15 if I express myself clear; the approach that they're having this year is what seems like a foundation year which should have been last year with the beginning of the current-gen instead of the mess Live 14 was, by now would've had a more complete game with fleshed out modes and improved gameplay. Since this didn't happen I just hope that what they've done for Live 15 is really really good to compensate the lack of depth the game can have.

# 53 Haval93 @ 08/09/14 12:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermolli
I feel like this should have been Live 14 instead of 15 if I express myself clear; the approach that they're having this year is what seems like a foundation year which should have been last year with the beginning of the current-gen instead of the mess Live 14 was, by now would've had a more complete game with fleshed out modes and improved gameplay. Since this didn't happen I just hope that what they've done for Live 15 is really really good to compensate the lack of depth the game can have.
Yup. This is my view as well. Going back to the interview it shows that Live 14 was built off of NBA Live 13 assets which was horrible. So it seems they have built new tech and redid all of their assets going forward. I was laughing and worried for a bit when he said that they didn't even have a working save/loading system, something as basic as that wasn't even finished in time for Live 13 and something you have to rebuild because programmers on the team messed up. A lot of time goes into designing before any code is written and even when you code, your not writing hundreds or thousands of lines. You write the most efficient code to solve your problem or achieve your design purpose. So most of the development time Live 14 was spent on fixing Live 13 and resources were allocated to fixing the code base rather than improving the game.

It's a bit confusing and annoying that last year we were told the game was using an entire new code base and not building from Live 13 to being told a different thing after Live 14 shipped. Understandable, it's just not feasible to rewrite your code base and design new tools in just 11 months, but it was something that was stated and not done. Hopefully we get more honest conversation going forward if they want people to support their game. Anyways, going off the soap opera, I just want to see more developer interaction and honesty regarding the games development.

# 54 worm91 @ 08/09/14 01:24 AM
Interesting read, hopefully their strategy pays off and they can come up with a decent basketball game.

Personally i thought Dynasty mode would've been the most important part of the game, as the ability to link one game of basketball to the next with all the off court requirements is the whole point to the game.

No matter what mode you are playing, essentially you are involved in multiple games to find a winner at the end.

That said, i won't be purchasing NBA LIVE 15 this year due to lack of strategy depth.

# 55 kolanji @ 08/09/14 01:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Live is never going to have an actual solid foundation if we keep supplying excuses. How many years is this "work in progress" view supposed to hold up exactly? This isn't a kick starter or a project...they are charging $60 dollars for this game...this comes with responsibility.

Things like not having an option to edit players once again this year is a kick in the gut....the whole work in progress thing does nothing for me in year 2 man...

That said, the focus on gameplay is nice to hear....looking forward to see what they can do...

Fair enough... but keep in mind that the live team and leadership had changed since the NBA elite 11 fiasco... this current team now is finally producing synergy as a culture in their workplace as slots are filled with talent and trustworthy individuals who is now BELIEVING that they are Better than their last product...

People might not see it but last year's game was not all bad it had some great qualities to build on and the controls , though not mind blowing, were refreshingly responsive.... last year's game was a playable scavenged from NBA live of pass very late in the dev cycle by a team that was not fully believing in themselves or the product they were working on.... doesn't seem that way to me anymore

And yes when u compare this game to its competitor with features and modes.... yes the competition has more to offer...they still are producing the best NBA title hands down IMO....but live is playing catch up to a competitor who never takes their foot off the gas... I could only imagine how hard it is narrow such a gap... exacerbated by the low budget for marketing EA is providing ....

The reality of the situation is yes certain things that should be available in NBA live are absent ...no way to get around that.... simple as that... but we can't pretend that we aren't getting some of what we asked for in NBA Live 15

Right now the game wont appeal to all of us.... and they are fully aware of it... but for those of us onboard we will hold it over until we can to a place where all of us it is appealing to or at least most of us

Like u said lets see what they can do

# 56 CMH @ 08/09/14 09:43 AM
The "don't give them excuses" thing is a tired excuse.

There are people here that enjoyed Live 14. Agreed or not with their assessment of the product, you can't blindly state that the product was poor when people enjoyed it

Was it a small number? Sure. But let's not pretend no one knew that would be the case.

Live and EA never beat on anyone's door demanding money. To argue that they should not have released an unfinished product is a bit boggling to me since there are people that would argue 2K was an unfinished product.

The point is, people are arguing over personal feelings rather than the opinions of all.

It's just confusing to see the same arguments against Live despite that team's efforts to be as open about the process as possible.

Everyone here knew the game wasn't a completely finished product. If you spent $60 on it and complained about it, I think that's no one's fault but your own.

# 57 nick_sr @ 08/09/14 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMH
The "don't give them excuses" thing is a tired excuse.

There are people here that enjoyed Live 14. Agreed or not with their assessment of the product, you can't blindly state that the product was poor when people enjoyed it

Was it a small number? Sure. But let's not pretend no one knew that would be the case.

Live and EA never beat on anyone's door demanding money. To argue that they should not have released an unfinished product is a bit boggling to me since there are people that would argue 2K was an unfinished product.

The point is, people are arguing over personal feelings rather than the opinions of all.

It's just confusing to see the same arguments against Live despite that team's efforts to be as open about the process as possible.

Everyone here knew the game wasn't a completely finished product. If you spent $60 on it and complained about it, I think that's no one's fault but your own.

especially when there was a demo

# 58 The 24th Letter @ 08/09/14 12:26 PM
Lol, if you have an issue with Live 14 being called a poor product, take it up with the producers...because that's what they're saying themselves, consigning what many have said all a long....not sure how that's blind at all...id say it's more blind to ignore that fact....

I'm sure a small number of people enjoyed Halle Berry's Catwoman as well...doesn't make it any better of a movie. That's not to say I didn't enjoy some aspects of the game though, because I honestly did.

And yeah, it's time to stop making excuse for the game. This is still OS right? Since when is it ok to just accept whatever is put out there? Some of these guys can't muster out more than "oh it's not perfect" about this game, but can write an essay on their issues with 2k...which is fine, but like holbert mentioned...it's surprising to see that attitude around here...which is the only thing that's getting tired. Props to the guys giving feedback though...they are doing a great job...

In the end, I just want another decent choice of basketball gaming...save the processes for the "making of Live 15" DVD.

# 59 CMH @ 08/09/14 01:10 PM
I don't have an issue with it being called a poor product. I never said that.

I have an issue with people that are acting as if the product was marketed as anything but.

# 60 Rockie_Fresh88 @ 08/09/14 01:46 PM
it gets labeled as complaining here lol... That's none of my business though ☕️��

It's a double standard lowkey . difference is you don't see a million thread topics about the same thing but the single posts are similar .

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.