Home
NBA Live 15 News Post

EGM has posted a lengthy interview with NBA Live 15 executive producer Sean O'Brien. O'Brien takes a candid approach about last year's game and his hopes from this year. Here are some highlights:
  • (On competing with an established 2K brand) "That’s part of it. You need the right people, the right talent to make a good product in anything—not just games—and I think we’re showing with NBA Live 15 that this is more in line with what people expect from the NBA Live brand. We’re ready to take on the fight. We have a different identity and are not creating a “me too” basketball game that copies 2K, not creating the same feature set or mechanics."
  • (On the low review scores for Live 14) "We put that out there—establish a baseline with what we did with NBA Live 14 and then show and build confidence in people based on what we do and deliver against it. As we learned this past year, we learned it in a good way, that we promised a bunch of things. We said that this wasn’t our best effort and asked people to bear with us and that we’re going to prove to them on this journey that we’ll make the game better. It easy to say that, of course, and it’s harder to do it, but I’d put up what we did post-launch with 14 against what any other sports game has ever done post-launch in the history of sports gaming."
  • (On filling creative holes) "Without getting into names or anything, I think we lacked a bit of creative leadership. We did fill those holes, though, as I brought down some guys that I used to work with previously, which made me feel better."
  • (On yearly development cycle) "That’s one of the most challenging things. Knowing that we have a list of work can, at times, be overwhelming. But you got to stick to the plan, because I’d love to just snap my fingers and hand you the game I’ve got in my head. Obviously, I can’t do that, so it’s both the frustrating and challenging thing about being in sports-game development.
  • (On if EA has closed the gap with 2K) "It’s hard to know for sure without knowing what 2K has done this year. Taking that into consideration, at the very least, visually, I can say yes. I think when we put our two games up side by side, we’ll absolutely be in the ballpark. I think there’s a different style between the two—like, if you look at a 2K game, I think there’s only two different body types. 2K tends to go for more of a heroic look, big feet and big shoes. They use their shaders a bit differently, so it’s a little more of a different artistic style, whereas we go for more of a photorealistic EA Sports style. So, that’ll be a plus or minus depending on your own personal preference."
  • (On Gameplay vs. 2K) "I think that, from the gameplay side of things, we’re going to offer something different. Their animation is so strong and looks so good. That’s the one area where I’m curious to see how we stack up this year, but I do think that unless they’ve completely changed their approach, I think our game will be more responsive. What I mean by that is, I think you’ll feel more in control of what’s happening. The action, the input on your controller, what your expectation is, we feel that’s a point of differentiation that we can take advantage of."
  • (On how short the leash is with Executives) "I agree with you completely. When I came back to EA—and Andrew’s the guy who actually wanted me to come back before he got promoted to his big-boy job—I was just grilling Andrew on what the expectations were, what the support would be like, and I told him if he expected us to turn this around instantly, it wasn’t going to happen. I wanted to make sure there was the support internally, as a company, that they believed in this category, and they did."
Be sure to read the full interview and let us know your thoughts!

Game: NBA Live 15Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 13 - View All
NBA Live 15 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Haval93 @ 08/07/14 11:17 AM
That Damian Lillard screen! I think he has to be the cover guy.

# 2 noshun @ 08/07/14 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haval93
That Damian Lillard screen! I think he has to be the cover guy.

Looks like Steve Francis more than Lillard.

# 3 DIRK41NOWITZKI @ 08/07/14 11:50 AM
That screen is absolutely gorgeous. Surprised we get our first real full body screenshot from a source outside of EA, but who cares! Can't wait for more info.

Sent from my mobile device using Tapatalk

# 4 Rockie_Fresh88 @ 08/07/14 12:08 PM
Yeah he looks good ! Think he is the cover athlete .

I like how acknowledged 2k and how they try to be different . They admitted 2k has the upper hand in Animations . But they are going for control and responsiveness . Can't wait

# 5 DIRK41NOWITZKI @ 08/07/14 12:31 PM
Made a comparison:

# 6 DBMcGee3 @ 08/07/14 01:28 PM
I'll be shocked if it's as good as 2k, but at least they're trying. When the guy comes out and says that he thinks they'll be "in the ballpark" visually, it isn't a very passionate endorsement. Also, I for one felt the controls for 2k the past couple of years have been very responsive, and the animations on last year's game were incredible, especially on the newer consoles. That was one of the biggest differences I noticed between the 2 games. In 2k, when you drive to the basket it feels so organic.

In any event, it's good to have options, and I loved NBA Live throughout my childhood so I wouldn't be upset about seeing them, return to prominence.

# 7 The 24th Letter @ 08/07/14 01:38 PM
Some strong, direct statements from Sean....good to hear!

# 8 grodbetatted @ 08/07/14 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBMcGee3
I'll be shocked if it's as good as 2k, but at least they're trying. When the guy comes out and says that he thinks they'll be "in the ballpark" visually, it isn't a very passionate endorsement. Also, I for one felt the controls for 2k the past couple of years have been very responsive, and the animations on last year's game were incredible, especially on the newer consoles. That was one of the biggest differences I noticed between the 2 games. In 2k, when you drive to the basket it feels so organic.

In any event, it's good to have options, and I loved NBA Live throughout my childhood so I wouldn't be upset about seeing them, return to prominence.
So you have never pressed A or X to pass the ball but because you were locked in an animation the player didn't pass the ball? I understand what they mean by responsiveness, not being locked into animations is something i look forward to

# 9 Rasco11 @ 08/07/14 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRK41NOWITZKI
Made a comparison:

Just want to point out the bottom pic is reversed if ppl are wondering why the tat is wrong. Took me a sec.

Biggest thing for me in that article was the reference to the "tight control." Very encouraging, sounded like he responded with some confidence!

# 10 Jano @ 08/07/14 02:33 PM
Quote:
I told him if he expected us to turn this around instantly, it wasn’t going to happen. I wanted to make sure there was the support internally, as a company, that they believed in this category, and they did.
Loved that part of the article.

That whole section about the big wig exec having their back is very encouraging. That's what they need cuz Live is going to be a long term project.

Nice to see they are at least "showing" they are committed to seeing this 3 year project through. Because sales are probably going to stink in comparison to 2K for the next few years I bet.

# 11 SageInfinite @ 08/07/14 02:43 PM
Interesting read. I liked what I read.

Funniest part for me though was "photorealistic, EA Sports style". I'm sorry but get the **** outta here. When was photo realistic ever a "style" from EA sports? LMAO.

The screenshots I've seen look good though.

# 12 Gramps91 @ 08/07/14 02:59 PM
I think the guys sounds really honest and i like that. Really pushing for this series as I'm unhappy with the way things are heading with 2k.

# 13 Ermolli @ 08/07/14 03:01 PM
Just by looking at the Lillard screenshot it seems like the Blazers part could be improved, the font seems short and the number could be a tad lower, here's how I think it should be (done in less than five minutes in Photoshop so it isn't that well done), the "corrected" would be the second one:

# 14 WTF @ 08/07/14 03:19 PM
When I saw the Lillard screen, I instantly thought of the shot he hit to win the game in the playoffs. Then Shade8780 posts that screen, I knew I seen him mean muggin like that before

Jerseys look like they fit really well.

# 15 Mintsa @ 08/07/14 03:27 PM
Do you think those jerseys are the "scanned" ones ? If so, they don't look super crisp like I thought they would (see the official NBA game ball screen).

# 16 El_Poopador @ 08/07/14 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade8780
Made a quick comparison:

Good find on the angle of that pic. Looking at it more closely, it looks like the torso is a little too long. The head itself is slightly too long as well, at least judging by that comparison. And the arm holes are a little too large. Looks like they fixed the arm sleeves. They're thin and tight. Live 14's sleeves were too bulky.

# 17 WTF @ 08/07/14 03:31 PM
That picture looks like it's been taken from a printed source. It's not nearly as crisp as the captures. It's blurred. That arm sleeve is nice though. On second look, that player shadowing is really well done as well, look at the inside of his right arm, how shadowed it is. I want to see a high res version.

That kind of tells me that celebrations should be in this game.

# 18 23 @ 08/07/14 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF
When I saw the Lillard screen, I instantly thought of the shot he hit to win the game in the playoffs. Then Shade8780 posts that screen, I knew I seen him mean muggin like that before

Jerseys look like they fit really well.
I actually think he looks like latrell spreewell... and the jersey fit makes him look either stocky or fat because his shape should be a V shaped form from the waist up instead of box like shaped.

Otherwise it's a good still.

# 19 WTF @ 08/07/14 04:21 PM
I still think it's a picture taken from a printed source, and it's not snapped dead on. I agree about the stocky or fat. I think if they'd post a pic from screen cap in HQ, we'd see it totally different. Even the skin texture doesn't look the same quality as the other screens posted.

# 20 DBMcGee3 @ 08/07/14 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grodbetatted
So you have never pressed A or X to pass the ball but because you were locked in an animation the player didn't pass the ball? I understand what they mean by responsiveness, not being locked into animations is something i look forward to
Not really, especially on the next gen version. I've had very, very slight delays in passing or shooting due to a collision animation, but it looks incredibly realistic, so I have no problem with that. You shouldn't be able to instantly break out of animations or collisions to pass or shoot, in my opinion. I find it visually jarring when that happens, in any game.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.