Home
NHL 15 News Post

There are a variety of rumors and a distinct lack of news when it comes to the popular EASHL mode and its status in the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 version of NHL 15. Today, Best Buy Canada added a lot of smoke to the no EASHL in XB1/PS4 NHL 15 fire by posting gameplay specs which tend to indicate the game will only support two-player online play. In comparison, the Xbox 360 version's product page shows 2-12 players are supported online, which fits with EASHL's requirements.

Up to this point, there has been no indication EASHL is in this year's game on the Xbox One and PlayStation 4, with a feature list from the American Best Buy website completely omitting EASHL as well. It stands to reason that EASHL might have been a difficult feature to program on newer generation consoles and the NHL team simply ran out of time. However, given the relative popularity of the mode, the possible absence of EASHL is something which will not go unnoticed by the NHL community.

Now granted, this is NOT confirmation from EA that EASHL is not in the game -- and it is entirely possible it is a mistake, so let's not all panic just yet. With a month to go until release, there are obviously many features we haven't heard about, so it's premature to lift this above idle speculation -- but there are some dots beginning to connect on this story. We have reached out to EA for comment on this and we will certainly update this post if/when that comes back to us.

H/T to @grayisthecolor on Twitter for alerting us to the Best Buy page and sending us down this rabbit hole this evening.

Update (Tuesday 1:30pm CST): A user on Reddit is claiming that there will be no EASHL or GM Connected in the game on X1/PS4 and that confirmation will come within a week or two. Of course, this is an unverified user on Reddit, so let's not get too panicky on this one. What the post does do is it continues to add smoke to the fire. We still haven't received any word from EA on the matter, despite putting in a request for comment, which could mean anything. NHL will be shown at GamesCom, so it's likely we'll probably find out the truth one way or another within a day or two.

UPDATE #2: (Wednesday, 11:50am EST) EA Sports Hockey League (EASHL) is clearly indicated on 360/PS3 (via Amazon, Best Buy) but NOTHING for Xbox One/PS4.

Would no EASHL change your buying decision of NHL 15?

Game: NHL 15Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 16 - View All
NHL 15 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 Trevelyan @ 08/14/14 02:09 PM
The fact that multiple big websites have exploded talking about this, and theres total silence on EA's end is scary. All they need to do to calm everyone down is post a message on twitter saying "of course EASHL is in the game". Since they haven't done that yet leads me to believe theres bad news coming and they're waiting to release it.

# 122 IgotSyphillis @ 08/14/14 02:24 PM
Did they even patch last years game? I honestly dont remember the game getting any real support post release last year. And I had no problem with that. Cause I assumed that they were preparing for this year. Yet all we see are improved graphics and a couple of scoreboards. I will never make believe I understand what it takes to make a video game, but compared to what other teams have done, this is pathetic. Isnt a new system itself supposed to provide the better graphics? So what has the team been doing for the past year?

And now, they are taking modes out? This might be as bad as when I bought March Madness 2002 and the dude at EB told me not to cause the game had no season mode. I ignored him, thinking he meant it had no dynasty mode. But no, EA released a game in 2002 without a season mode. 12 years later, same garbage.

And I'm not waiting for the announcement. We all know it's not in the game this year. A simple tweet would of solved everything. Sorry dudes, no EASHL for us. What's even funnier, according to the info, there isnt even any multiplayer on one console online anymore either. It's 2014. On a brand new console. And I can't call up a few friends to come over and play other people online. In 2014.

I guess it could be worse. EA could have released a basketball game last year that was worse than Double Dribble. Oh wait.

I still buy Madden cause I love football, but that's it for me and EA. I already stopped buying their other games, it was just hockey and football. Cant wait for the exclusive license to run out one day.

# 123 ricky24 @ 08/14/14 02:24 PM
Attachment 80644

It's getting serious.

# 124 Gotmilkman24 @ 08/14/14 02:30 PM
I couldn't even begin it isn't in the game. 12 man physics that they keep talking about would be pointless.

# 125 MannTooth24 @ 08/14/14 02:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmilkman24
I couldn't even begin it isn't in the game. 12 man physics that they keep talking about would be pointless.
There are still 12 players on the ice even if it's not EASHL, so I don't think this argument works. AI will have the same physics.

I still am optimistic about it being in the next gen game though. At the very least it may be DLC a month or two after release which I would be fine with. But I think it will be there for launch. Not sure why EA hasn't come out and said anything yet though.

# 126 Cletus @ 08/14/14 02:41 PM
Maybe they have everything set up but haven't tested the server load this would cause. That would make them not announce anything. I remember in NHL 12 for a month or so EASHL was extremely laggy and then not long after they announced GMC. That was also in the summer. If they play test server load this weekend then you would imagine something would be announced on Tuesday. Freaking out about it does no good at this point.

# 127 jekudlacik @ 08/14/14 02:44 PM
I thought it was a given EASHL would be in the new game. The OTP lobbies are always full into the night, and it makes what would be a 1-2 month single player experience into a year-long obsession of playing the game and meeting new people. The fact that this is even an issue this close to launch is crazy to me. The interviews with the development team on this site's podcast (Awesome show BTF), they always say how they are also consumers of the game, I don't know how they don't know the importance of this mode (And GM as well). I still have faith that the modes are in the game, because that would be a really big letdown and loss of a consumer for me. They also touted how the menus would be more like FIFA, so are they really going to have a robust menu system for barebones modes? I just wish they would announce it already so we can continue to hype up what I think could be the sports game of the year.

# 128 ricky24 @ 08/14/14 03:27 PM
Seeing on twitter that game modes will be announced "soon".

# 129 Gotmilkman24 @ 08/14/14 03:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky24
Seeing on twitter that game modes will be announced "soon".
I don't see anything on Twitter about this?

# 130 tmac456 @ 08/14/14 03:48 PM
there is no valid excuse to why this wouldn't be in the game, but since it's EA, i'm prepared for the bad news

# 131 Shakes @ 08/14/14 03:52 PM
What exactly does "soon" mean in EA terms?

# 132 Gotmilkman24 @ 08/14/14 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakes
What exactly does "soon" mean in EA terms?
Launch day soon. Lol

# 133 ricky24 @ 08/14/14 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmilkman24
I don't see anything on Twitter about this?

Attachment 80647Attachment 80647

# 134 centauris @ 08/14/14 04:33 PM
yeah but look at Update 2

Michael Straw Jr. @TheMikeStraw · 1h
Update #2: Source states that EA could still be finalizing the code, but troubles getting it in the game could be reason for exclusion

# 135 Arrowhead21 @ 08/14/14 05:04 PM
HUT made it in without any issues. What a surprise.

EASHL is not gonna make it in.

There will be a dumbed down GM mode.

Thanks EA.

# 136 centauris @ 08/14/14 05:15 PM
Someone finally responded on the EA Boards.

EA_Karo wrote:
Hey everyone.

We appreciate our passionate community and we know there have been a lot of questions surrounding game modes.

The NHL team has been laser focused on creating the best next gen hockey experience possible and will be making an official reveal next week with full game mode details.

Thanks,

- EA NHL Team

I don't think EASHL is in.

# 137 bigwill33 @ 08/14/14 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centauris
Someone finally responded on the EA Boards.

EA_Karo wrote:
Hey everyone.

We appreciate our passionate community and we know there have been a lot of questions surrounding game modes.

The NHL team has been laser focused on creating the best next gen hockey experience possible and will be making an official reveal next week with full game mode details.

Thanks,

- EA NHL Team

I don't think EASHL is in.
Oh, so the masses are being heard? See, this is what happens when you leave your true fan base in the dark. They speak up. All of those people saying to calm down or just be patient, sometimes it takes a reaction to get a reaction.

Back on subject, this could really go either way at this point, but it sure doesn't look promising. If they are having issues and it is coming down to the final hour then this could be epically awful. The game has to be going gold real soon in order to meet that retail ship date. If everything is not working by now then we are in trouble.

# 138 Arrowhead21 @ 08/14/14 05:30 PM
360/PS3 users will be playing a deeper game than us

Nice

# 139 oasis90 @ 08/14/14 05:33 PM
Yeah, EASHL seems out.
I'll wait the official announcement and after i'll go to cancel my pre order

# 140 Cletus @ 08/14/14 05:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwill33

Back on subject, this could really go either way at this point, but it sure doesn't look promising. If they are having issues and it is coming down to the final hour then this could be epically awful. The game has to be going gold real soon in order to meet that retail ship date. If everything is not working by now then we are in trouble.

If eashl doesn't make it in and sales tank, I wonder how this dev team is going to answer to the board members? Do you think it could lead to a new team? I don't want anyone to lose their jobs, but the way this release as a whole has been handled is something you would expect from an indie game developer, not one of the largest software companies in the world. It took them this long to gives us a word on the issue?

I know this is a huge pipe dream, but if they mess this up and another company sees how rabid the fanbase is for EASHL is it could lead to another company releasing a hockey game. I'd be all for it, even it was a MMO type game. Give us 5 or 10 different arenas, full uniform customization and a game that rewards hockey and EA's NHL would take a sizeable hit.

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.