Home
NHL 15 News Post

There are a variety of rumors and a distinct lack of news when it comes to the popular EASHL mode and its status in the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 version of NHL 15. Today, Best Buy Canada added a lot of smoke to the no EASHL in XB1/PS4 NHL 15 fire by posting gameplay specs which tend to indicate the game will only support two-player online play. In comparison, the Xbox 360 version's product page shows 2-12 players are supported online, which fits with EASHL's requirements.

Up to this point, there has been no indication EASHL is in this year's game on the Xbox One and PlayStation 4, with a feature list from the American Best Buy website completely omitting EASHL as well. It stands to reason that EASHL might have been a difficult feature to program on newer generation consoles and the NHL team simply ran out of time. However, given the relative popularity of the mode, the possible absence of EASHL is something which will not go unnoticed by the NHL community.

Now granted, this is NOT confirmation from EA that EASHL is not in the game -- and it is entirely possible it is a mistake, so let's not all panic just yet. With a month to go until release, there are obviously many features we haven't heard about, so it's premature to lift this above idle speculation -- but there are some dots beginning to connect on this story. We have reached out to EA for comment on this and we will certainly update this post if/when that comes back to us.

H/T to @grayisthecolor on Twitter for alerting us to the Best Buy page and sending us down this rabbit hole this evening.

Update (Tuesday 1:30pm CST): A user on Reddit is claiming that there will be no EASHL or GM Connected in the game on X1/PS4 and that confirmation will come within a week or two. Of course, this is an unverified user on Reddit, so let's not get too panicky on this one. What the post does do is it continues to add smoke to the fire. We still haven't received any word from EA on the matter, despite putting in a request for comment, which could mean anything. NHL will be shown at GamesCom, so it's likely we'll probably find out the truth one way or another within a day or two.

UPDATE #2: (Wednesday, 11:50am EST) EA Sports Hockey League (EASHL) is clearly indicated on 360/PS3 (via Amazon, Best Buy) but NOTHING for Xbox One/PS4.

Would no EASHL change your buying decision of NHL 15?

Game: NHL 15Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 16 - View All
NHL 15 Videos
Member Comments
# 141 acidraindrops08 @ 08/14/14 05:34 PM
Now I know this is digging deep but after watching that gameplay teaser that was released today, I think there may be a cryptic message in there. Doc Emerick says, " the atmosphere is a little different for this game, something got in the newspaper that seems to have riled up. " Then it ends. Just the fact that they went with that intro seems like it could have a little meaning. Then again I'm pretty much grasping at straws here soooo.

# 142 ricky24 @ 08/14/14 05:35 PM
This really sucks. Was looking forward to this game. I'm not buying a last gen game when the same game is on next gen just because they botched this. Looks like I'm possibly waiting on 16.

# 143 Gotmilkman24 @ 08/14/14 06:12 PM
if you listen to his interview he really sounds unsure about the game modes and everything. Like something fishy is going on with all of the game modes. as great as this game looked everything had to be too good to be true. But I'm not going to count The Hockey League out just yet.

# 144 oasis90 @ 08/14/14 06:59 PM
Take a look:

http://www.mediamarkt.se/mcs/product...tml?langId=-16

Onlinestöd:
Ja (1-12 spelare) (1-12 online players)
Don't know what think now..

# 145 Gotmilkman24 @ 08/14/14 07:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oasis90
Take a look:

http://www.mediamarkt.se/mcs/product...tml?langId=-16

Onlinestöd:
Ja (1-12 spelare) (1-12 online players)
Don't know what think now..
I hope this is true. It is all wear panties for a week.

# 146 CaptainSuperman @ 08/14/14 07:18 PM
They are revealing everything next week.

If they revealed it to a bunch of whiny forum members, then what would be the purpose of having a set date to release the info? Why would they respong "yes it's in. but we are revealing everything next week'?

Again, if they respond to one rumor, then why not respond to them all?

They are being consistent in not revealing hardly any detail on anything other than their main improvements, which they've talked about since day 1

# 147 ManiacMatt1782 @ 08/14/14 08:06 PM
Achievements havent been announced. Everyone freak out!!! Achievements won't be in NHL15.

# 148 Arrowhead21 @ 08/14/14 08:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacMatt1782
Achievements havent been announced. Everyone freak out!!! Achievements won't be in NHL15.
I know you're trying to be cute, but achievements and game modes are entirely different, rendering your comparison completely inadequate. What kind of company waits until the release date is 3 weeks away to announce game modes? COD could never get away with that lol they announce their modes almost a year in advance so people know what they're buying/pre-ordering

# 149 drewst18 @ 08/14/14 09:20 PM
It will be hard to do cause I love NHL, but I will be boycotting not only NHL but all EA products for this season. Our club said maybe we'll get Fifa instead but that doesn't hurt them... NBA Mycrew here we come!

# 150 thedudedominick @ 08/14/14 09:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewst18
It will be hard to do cause I love NHL, but I will be boycotting not only NHL but all EA products for this season. Our club said maybe we'll get Fifa instead but that doesn't hurt them... NBA Mycrew here we come!
I find it Ironic that your boycott of EA includes playing a last gen 2K game (MyCrew has been confirmed in for last gen, out for next gen.)

I will say I wont be buying an NHL game on release if there is no EASHL. I love the series and know if people don't buy the game the future budget will suffer as will the quality of the game, but I just can't justify spending 60 dollars when there is so much competition out there even among other EA sports games. If there is no EASHL I will most likely be getting FIFA on release instead of black friday like I usually do, solely because of Pro Clubs.

# 151 CaptainSuperman @ 08/14/14 09:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead21
I know you're trying to be cute, but achievements and game modes are entirely different, rendering your comparison completely inadequate. What kind of company waits until the release date is 3 weeks away to announce game modes? COD could never get away with that lol they announce their modes almost a year in advance so people know what they're buying/pre-ordering
Every year the developer of COD (one of the three at least) releases info on new game modes. But they don't always reiterate that every game mode and feature and gun and perk from previous years is going to be in the new installment.

You don't hear panic every year from 12 year old boys wondering in TDM is going to be in, along with quickscopes of melee attacks.

# 152 bigwill33 @ 08/14/14 09:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSuperman
Every year the developer of COD (one of the three at least) releases info on new game modes. But they don't always reiterate that every game mode and feature and gun and perk from previous years is going to be in the new installment.

You don't hear panic every year from 12 year old boys wondering in TDM is going to be in, along with quickscopes of melee attacks.
They also aren't notorious for leaving out features and then adding them back in. Especially when making the jump to their first year with their game on a new generation of consoles. And I don't like COD so don't read into that as my defending their glitchy, cheese filled games.

# 153 Arrowhead21 @ 08/14/14 10:28 PM
Quote:
Every year the developer of COD (one of the three at least) releases info on new game modes. But they don't always reiterate that every game mode and feature and gun and perk from previous years is going to be in the next installment.
I understand the point you're trying to make but this is the first NHL game on this generation of consoles, so there is valid reason to confirm whether or not the modes are in there. Surely you can see where I'm coming from with that

# 154 CaptainSuperman @ 08/15/14 01:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead21
I understand the point you're trying to make but this is the first NHL game on this generation of consoles, so there is valid reason to confirm whether or not the modes are in there. Surely you can see where I'm coming from with that
No, I do. But EA has remained consistent at all times since the announcement of NHL 15 in that they have only talked about presentation, puck physics, player models, and 12 man contact, blah blah blah. Not one word about game modes.

Now if they talked here and there about HUT, GMConnected, or even BAP, then maybe you have the start of some concern, but like they said, they will reveal all next week. And not a day sooner.

My personal take is that it's in. In this day and age there aren't many reasons to scrap a game mode unless it's getting stale and working on it is just a hassle. That is not EASHL. It's powered by the online community. One that's has the strongest voice it's had in a first installment on a new generation. With all that is possible on the PS4 and X1, I just don't see something like servers being an issue. They already have their experience with Madden and Fifa on next gen from last year. Things will be fine, I'm sure

# 155 spidertour02 @ 08/15/14 02:02 AM
Quote:
No, I do. But EA has remained consistent at all times since the announcement of NHL 15 in that they have only talked about presentation, puck physics, player models, and 12 man contact, blah blah blah. Not one word about game modes.

Now if they talked here and there about HUT, GMConnected, or even BAP, then maybe you have the start of some concern, but like they said, they will reveal all next week. And not a day sooner.

My personal take is that it's in. In this day and age there aren't many reasons to scrap a game mode unless it's getting stale and working on it is just a hassle. That is not EASHL. It's powered by the online community. One that's has the strongest voice it's had in a first installment on a new generation. With all that is possible on the PS4 and X1, I just don't see something like servers being an issue. They already have their experience with Madden and Fifa on next gen from last year. Things will be fine, I'm sure
Did you play NBA 2K14? 2K's server stability (or, more appropriately, the complete LACK of server stability) ruined the game, especially The Park, which was basically unplayable for a majority of the players.

# 156 bigwill33 @ 08/15/14 02:13 AM
Plus NHL is handled by a completely different department than FIFA and Madden and on different servers. MLB The Show Online is nearly unplayable for a lot of people. It does happen. I am not saying this will be the case or cause if we don't get EASHL, but to say that it won't be the/an issue is not exactly a fair assessment.

# 157 ManiacMatt1782 @ 08/15/14 08:05 AM
The bottom line is, people spend extra money on the OTP character. If any mode gets cut down, it is going to be GM Connected. Why? because it cost money to run storing the leagues on the servers. And doesn't bring added revenue like HUT and Team Play games do. EA is not a company know for leaving money on the table. The modes they can charge extra for are going to make it in. I don't have a doubt in my mind. The real worry should be about GM connected getting dropped since they have a financial reason to do so. And because 2K has dropped it out of their basketball game. So indirect competitors are no longer offering the mode, giving less of a reason to necessitate it's inclusion. My prediction is Team Play returns with it's club building tool, eashl, and GM connected gets bailed on.

# 158 Comp @ 08/15/14 10:40 AM
Eh, I'd probably still buy it but doing drop in games and actually communicating with a real team added replay value.

# 159 dlxsf18 @ 08/15/14 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacMatt1782
The bottom line is, people spend extra money on the OTP character. If any mode gets cut down, it is going to be GM Connected. Why? because it cost money to run storing the leagues on the servers. And doesn't bring added revenue like HUT and Team Play games do. EA is not a company know for leaving money on the table. The modes they can charge extra for are going to make it in. I don't have a doubt in my mind. The real worry should be about GM connected getting dropped since they have a financial reason to do so. And because 2K has dropped it out of their basketball game. So indirect competitors are no longer offering the mode, giving less of a reason to necessitate it's inclusion. My prediction is Team Play returns with it's club building tool, eashl, and GM connected gets bailed on.
2K is having their version of GM Connected in the game this year. If you want to make those comparisons, 2K also dropped their version of EASHL during their transition to the new consoles, and still won't have it on PS4/XB1 for 2K15, even though they're missing out on a significant portion of microtransactions because of it.

If EASHL doesn't make it in, I'm almost certain it wasn't a design decision. Either they were told to cut costs, and EASHL had to go due to the revenue generated from boost packs not making up for the money they spend on running the servers, or, what I feel is the most probable scenario, they found significant, game breaking issues during QA testing.

# 160 El_Poopador @ 08/15/14 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlxsf18
2K is having their version of GM Connected in the game this year. If you want to make those comparisons, 2K also dropped their version of EASHL during their transition to the new consoles, and still won't have it on PS4/XB1 for 2K15, even though they're missing out on a significant portion of microtransactions because of it.
Yes and no. 2k's MyLeague is offline only, so it's not really like GM Connected. And they didn't drop their version of EASHL during the transition. They dropped it after 2k12 I believe (if you're referring to Crew), and brought something similar in The Park (allowing users to play against other users using their created players). In any case, there was a mode that allowed user-created players to play with each other.

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.