Home
Madden NFL 15 News Post

Our friends at ESG have posted this Madden NFL 15 video that shows end of season stats, league leaders, awards, division standings, and more. They also simmed the playoffs and Super Bowl.

For those of you interested in simulated stats, check out the results and leave your thoughts.

Game: Madden NFL 15Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 42 - View All
Madden NFL 15 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 Rjrosco @ 08/16/14 06:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Looks like I'm gonna have to use SuperSim to sim games I dont play again.
Haha well the supersim has been broken ever since cfm started, I seriously doubt they have fixed it this year. 2 weeks out and were talking day 1 patch already, makes me wonder about RAMDOM draft classes and how they will pan out.

# 82 aholbert32 @ 08/16/14 06:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurphy31
So you just 32 team control. Play each game and sim to the end?

I haven't used super sim in years. I remember a few years ago it would give you way too many plays.
Yep. You have to change the quarter length to 8 minutes or less but the stats are definitely better than regular sim. Not perfect but better.

# 83 jmurphy31 @ 08/16/14 06:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Yep. You have to change the quarter length to 8 minutes or less but the stats are definitely better than regular sim. Not perfect but better.
Thanks. Maybe I'll try that if stats aren't great.
Though Skyboxer s stats weren't too bad

# 84 newjerseydamo @ 08/16/14 06:39 PM
Just goes to show how bad the simming engine is and how they favour certain teams.

Philip Rivers was the second highest rated qb last year.
Whilst he hasn't had the consistency of other qb's (mostly because of O line issues), it was only really a one off year in 2012.

Yet the ratings and stats are put in the toilet for him.

That screenshot was nowhere near accurate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

# 85 Yeah...THAT Guy @ 08/16/14 06:39 PM
This will probably force me to wait on purchasing Madden. Really bums me out, but I can't get into a franchise mode where passing numbers are that far off, and while Skyboxer's were a little better, they're still pretty brutal. Just can't do it. Hopefully it's something they can patch.

# 86 Deflo_ @ 08/16/14 06:55 PM
All I can really say is... yikes

# 87 aldon_47 @ 08/16/14 07:05 PM
Really been on the fence this year whether to buy on release day or not. With the pre season upon us, Ive been playing M25 again and with such a big difference between football and Madden-ball, its been tough to get excited and with this example of sim stats, might be worth waiting this time around.

# 88 eaglesfan27 @ 08/16/14 07:22 PM
I had pre-ordered but later this week I will cancel my pre-order. These stats ruin any sense of immersion for me.

# 89 DLaren @ 08/16/14 08:07 PM
I am now taking a "wait-and-see" approach with Madden'15.

I was ready to get the game early (next Friday) but these sim-stats are raising all kinds of red-flags about the inner-workings of this game.

# 90 Nza @ 08/16/14 08:39 PM
LOL @ two 4000 yard passers.

Oh dear, EA.

# 91 T5063 @ 08/16/14 09:08 PM
So out of two season (this video and the impressions thread) there was not a single qb with 30+ tds. What a joke.

# 92 fancyclaps @ 08/16/14 09:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by T5063
So out of two season (this video and the impressions thread) there was not a single qb with 30+ tds. What a joke.
Beyond disappointed. It looks like a lot of fun this year too but these stats are a disaster. May have to skip this year.

# 93 Bootzilla @ 08/16/14 09:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Passing numbers are obviously off. I was curious as to by how much.

The video scrolls through the top 19 QBs by yards. I wrote down their yards numbers, TD numbers, and INT numbers, and took the average. I then did the same for the 2013 NFL season. For the hell of it, I also looked at the 2004 NFL season, i.e. ten years ago.

2013 NFL avg (top 19 by yards): 4065 yards, 27 TDs, 15 INTs
2004 NFL avg (top 19 by yards): 3694 yards, 25 TDs, 14 INTs
this Madden sim (top 19 by yards): 3118 yards, 17 TDs, 13 INTs

So it's just low on everything it looks like, but yards and TDs are woefully off. There's 21% fewer yards, 35% fewer passing TDs, and 10% fewer INTs among league leaders compared to the average league leader in 2013, and 13% fewer yards, 31% fewer TDs, and 9% fewer INTs than 2004.

I went ahead and looked at rushing as well (this video scrolls through the top 12 RBs by yards):

2013 NFL avg (top 12 RBs by yards): 275 carries, 1236 yards, 9 TDs
2004 NFL avg (top 12 RBs by yards): 322 carries, 1412 yards, 10 TDs
this Madden sim (top 12 RBs by yards): 323 carries, 1335 yards, 8 TDs

Generally speaking, the rushing stats from this sim look in-line with the NFL, if the game was being played a decade ago. The CPU is running the ball with the top-rated backs about 20% more than real teams did in 2013. Also, there's a 400-carry back in this simulation; the NFL hasn't seen a RB with 400 carries since Larry Johnson in 2006, if I recall correctly.

While obviously we need more than one season's sim worth of data to draw any sort of conclusion, one might begin to assert that Madden's game simulation algorithm has not been updated to account for the de-emphasis on the running game and increase in proficiency of modern NFL passing offenses.

I would assume that this can be tuned to resemble the modern NFL to an extent. However, I do wonder by how much.
What were the pass attempts? Were they low? Or were the yards per pass play too low?

If the top 20 or so QBs are on average nearly 1,000 yards and 10 TDs below what they should be I would call that a major flaw in the sim engine. You'd think it would be an easy fix but it's been so bad for so long that either they can't fix it, don't know how to fix it, or simply don't care to bother fixing it.

Really does suck for us offline CFM guys. I like to run 60 plays and if I pass 55% of the time I will lead the league in passing yards and TDs by a mile every year.

The rushing is close but the feature backs are getting about 3 more carries a game than they should be.

Man I hope they fix this. Looks like I'll be playing a whole bunch of Play Now games until the NBA games drop. I know I won't be getting the digital download. I need to be able to trade this puppy in for a hoops game. No replay value for me.

# 94 Old's Cool @ 08/16/14 09:50 PM
So the real life NFL passing numbers are the highest they've been in league history these last few years.....and the Madden sim passing numbers are the lowest they've ever been. Good job EA.

# 95 jeremym480 @ 08/16/14 10:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by T5063
30 is the new 50!

Seriously though I play both online and offline. Obviously it's not going to be that big of a deal online. Especially if you're in a full league but there will still be instances where games get simmed, so everyone should be unhappy with these numbers.

Has anyone from EA acknowledged this yet?

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk

# 96 CM Hooe @ 08/16/14 10:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremym480
30 is the new 50!

Seriously though I play both online and offline. Obviously it's not going to be that big of a deal online. Especially if you're in a full league but there will still be instances where games get simmed, so everyone should be unhappy with these numbers.

Has anyone from EA acknowledged this yet?
I'm not the hunt-a-developer-down type - they're plenty busy enough before fans start poking at them - but no one from EA Austin that I know of is responsive on Twitter at this point the way that, say, Clint Oldenberg at Tiburon is. Presumably they "read everything", however. Hopefully someone sees this and passes it along.

Simmed game stats matter to me because it's going to affect the balance of CPU quarterback progression in CFM, tilting it in favor of the user. If CPU QBs can't hit their season goals (depending on player scheme / type, a QB's season goal is either based on passing yardage or TDs), they're going to regress. To that end I hope EA can push up a hot fix relatively quickly; maybe this can be quickly adjusted via a tuning update / server-side correction for an one-player online CFM?

# 97 gr18 @ 08/16/14 10:28 PM
So,if the qb's are averaging 1 td pass per game and the rb td's are in line....

Are the sim scores very low or are there way too many field goals or too many defensive td's?

# 98 OhMrHanky @ 08/16/14 10:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr18
So,if the qb's are averaging 1 td pass per game and the rb td's are in line....

Are the sim scores very low or are there way too many field goals or too many defensive td's?

Yeah, really, what were the FGs?? With all that yardage and no TDs, I'm assuming there are at least 10 kickers with 40+ FGs for the season! Lol. Kickers breaking all kinds of NFL scoring records in madden these days.

# 99 gr18 @ 08/16/14 10:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMrHanky
Yeah, really, what were the FGs?? With all that yardage and no TDs, I'm assuming there are at least 10 kickers with 40+ FGs for the season! Lol. Kickers breaking all kinds of NFL scoring records in madden these days.
Yeah,from looking at the video the overall points aren't too terribly low and there doesn't seem to be an unusually high amount of defensive td's so there must be a lot of kickers with stats like 55 fieldgoal attempts and 45 made.

# 100 BigMacAttack22 @ 08/16/14 11:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Passing numbers are obviously off. I was curious as to by how much.

The video scrolls through the top 19 QBs by yards. I wrote down their yards numbers, TD numbers, and INT numbers, and took the average. I then did the same for the 2013 NFL season. For the hell of it, I also looked at the 2004 NFL season, i.e. ten years ago.

2013 NFL avg (top 19 by yards): 4065 yards, 27 TDs, 15 INTs
2004 NFL avg (top 19 by yards): 3694 yards, 25 TDs, 14 INTs
this Madden sim (top 19 by yards): 3118 yards, 17 TDs, 13 INTs

So it's just low on everything it looks like, but yards and TDs are woefully off. There's 21% fewer yards, 35% fewer passing TDs, and 10% fewer INTs among league leaders compared to the average league leader in 2013, and 13% fewer yards, 31% fewer TDs, and 9% fewer INTs than 2004.

I went ahead and looked at rushing as well (this video scrolls through the top 12 RBs by yards):

2013 NFL avg (top 12 RBs by yards): 275 carries, 1236 yards, 9 TDs
2004 NFL avg (top 12 RBs by yards): 322 carries, 1412 yards, 10 TDs
this Madden sim (top 12 RBs by yards): 323 carries, 1335 yards, 8 TDs

Generally speaking, the rushing stats from this sim look in-line with the NFL, if the game was being played a decade ago. The CPU is running the ball with the top-rated backs about 20% more than real teams did in 2013. Also, there's a 400-carry back in this simulation; the NFL hasn't seen a RB with 400 carries since Larry Johnson in 2006, if I recall correctly.

While obviously we need more than one season's sim worth of data to draw any sort of conclusion, one might begin to assert that Madden's game simulation algorithm has not been updated to account for the de-emphasis on the running game and increase in proficiency of modern NFL passing offenses.

I would assume that this can be tuned to resemble the modern NFL to an extent. However, I do wonder by how much.
This is a lot of math and research for something that might turn out to be insignificant, so thank you for calculating. Any chance you might try this using multiple simulations when the game comes out? I would be very interested in reading what you find.

Quick edit: I love how the community is analyzing everything. Much more constructive than i expected. I wonder if EA even has a small team of developers that look into this sort of thing, or if they've ever instructed their QA people to test this kind of thing specifically.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.