Home
NHL 15 News Post

Sean Ramjagsingh, producer of NHL 15, is stopping by OS this evening for an open chat with NHL fans. In the comments below, you can ask Sean anything and he will answer as many questions as possible on the heels of his interview he did with us today.

If you haven’t done so yet, we’ve covered many of the basics of today’s news in our interview, that there will be no EASHL, GM Connected, OTP, or Life the Life in NHL 15. So don’t be that guy who asks the question which we’ve already answered! However, anything is fair game, and Sean plans to stick around for awhile and answer your questions under the EASportsNHL username.

Keep in mind that we will be patrolling the thread, cleaning up duplicate or ill-tempered posts — keep the questions clean, constructive, and to the point. Please remember that we are enforcing a Zero Tolerance policy towards anything that isn't constructive to this discussion. Think before you reply. We want this to be a constructive and positive experience for all participants!

So with that, ask away!

Game: NHL 15Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 16 - View All
NHL 15 Videos
Member Comments
# 201 bigwill33 @ 08/21/14 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead21
it won't, because it's OTP and not EASHL. Deal with it dude. it will still be 6 v 6 hockey. It likely won't run as smooth as the EASHL we all know but it will be the foundation for next year. We won't be able to experience EASHL on PS4/XB1 until NHL 16. I think most people on here have processed that by now. We should consider ourselves lucky that EA is even planning to put out a patch for OTP. If you absolutely need to play EASHL this season, just play NHL 14
OTP to me means creating a player and meeting in a lobby with friends or randoms and playing a game with unique players. I'm not talking about club (EASHL).

Even now I can get on and track my weekly, monthly, and overall stats just from OTP.

I have very little interest in everyone racing to pick the Hawks, Pens, Bruins or Kings just so they can pick a player that is dominantly rated. If that is all they are ever patching in then I am probably out, especially for online play.

# 202 Arrowhead21 @ 08/21/14 07:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwill33
I have very little interest in everyone racing to pick the Hawks, Pens, Bruins or Kings just so they can pick a player that is dominantly rated. If that is all they are ever patching in then I am probably out, especially for online play.
which is why I recommended you stick with NHL 14 until a proper OTP/EASHL is implemented into the Ps4/XB1 games

It's become clear to most that the upcoming release will for 1 v 1 and offline players, or players who are simply happy to experience hockey on new hardware

not for the beggars who are trying to be choosers.

# 203 bigwill33 @ 08/21/14 11:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead21
which is why I recommended you stick with NHL 14 until a proper OTP/EASHL is implemented into the Ps4/XB1 games

It's become clear to most that the upcoming release will for 1 v 1 and offline players, or players who are simply happy to experience hockey on new hardware

not for the beggars who are trying to be choosers.
I highly dislike 14 and most of my club sold their 360's to upgrade to xbone for this very game.

# 204 ManiacMatt1782 @ 08/21/14 11:45 PM
Is GM connected being scrapped for good? There was talk of bringing EASHL back, but GM connected was completely ignored on the statement released earlier this week.

# 205 Mikey88 @ 08/22/14 12:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacMatt1782
Is GM connected being scrapped for good? There was talk of bringing EASHL back, but GM connected was completely ignored on the statement released earlier this week.
Rammer said gmc was one of the least used modes and the the team was looking into making changes to bring in more players

# 206 shogunofharlem3 @ 08/22/14 12:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacMatt1782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey88
Rammer said gmc was one of the least used modes and the the team was looking into making changes to bring in more players
One of my favorite modes. Finally a mode where my 4 old married with kids buddies and myself can sit on our respective couches since we can't sit on our parents a block away from each other anymore and play coop. Thought I'd love it...

I think it was one of the modes that was poorly implemented. We'd take our once a week trying to get online, play a 3 game block, then while the game simmed for 30 minutes to the next block of 4 games we'd sit............................................... ....and wait...............then it was time to go, kids, bed , work. Lets not even talk about the offseason. Just not feasible. Gross implementation

If implemented better, I think the mode would have been played more. If given season length options, the mode would have been played more. Just too many "ifs".

I blame EA for the poor play percentage of GM Connected. We tried in 13 and assumed the sim and whatnot was quicker in 14, wasn't.

I hate to see the mode go as I was assuming the sim engine would be hours quicker and this would be my vessel to get my boys into the next gen for some new hockey. It isn't, so we'll stay with Battlefield and talk about how we wish we were playing hockey.

# 207 Arrowhead21 @ 08/22/14 04:06 PM
Does anyone else have a feeling that fantasy draft likely won't be an option in Be a GM ...

# 208 18 eighty 5 @ 08/23/14 07:21 AM
Was anything said about fixing the cheating CPU? Was it even acknowledged? Will it be a key feature offline again in 15?

# 209 Gotmilkman24 @ 08/23/14 09:38 AM
what do you mean by the cheating cpu?

# 210 18 eighty 5 @ 08/24/14 12:18 AM
The crazy boosting, bubble protection, different skating abilities that have been a part of this series since 07. It keeps the gameplay mired in a same old - same old experience and ups the overall frustration.

# 211 Money99 @ 08/25/14 10:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmilkman24
what do you mean by the cheating cpu?
These are the issues I've had with the 'cheating' AI for the past few years:
- Your CPU teammates are way too passive, while your CPU opponent hounds the puck carrier like you stole something from it.
- CPU will work tirelessly to keep the puck in the offensive zone. No clearing attempt is safe.
Not so much with your own dmen who are more than willing to hang at the redline.
- CPU will almost win every puck battle. Even after you level the CPU, your player will trip and struggle to grab the loose puck while the CPU will get up, dust itself off, grab the loose puck and head up ice.
- Too many times the CPU players will make the perfect play regardless of it's attributes. Low offensive skills? Doesn't matter. The player will still make a blind, behind the back pass right on the tape of it's teammate.
- CPU can do things with the puck and skating that you simply cannot.
Watch how many times the CPU will come flying into the zone with the puck, then magically start skating backwards without having to come to a full stop or lose any momentum.
(P.S. I see all of these things while playing on PRO, Simulation and default sliders).

I don't know if it was someone on these boards, or at HFBoards who made this statement, but I think it rings very true.
(Paraphrasing) - Generally that the game of hockey is more than just about who scores more. It's about winning puck battles, getting big saves, keeping the play alive, etc.
It's small little battles or mini-games occurring all the time, and yet the CPU wins all those battles 90% of the time, just to make the game competitive.
It's poor AI on EA's part.
Now, they may have gotten away with using the excuse that current-gen systems suck so they had to add boosts or cheats in order to make the game hard.
But nobody should be able to see any of these things on next-gen consoles.
I can understand making your own CPU teammates passive because the opposing CPU AI is so bad that it can't handle high pressure without cheating.
But with all this new hardware, the only limitations are the programmers skills.
So if we still see these cheats, it's because either the programmers didn't have enough time to work on the game, or they simply lack the skill to build realistic AI*.

*This is something I believe is the real case. I hate to continue to bring it up, but NHL2K3 had amazing CPU AI. If that can be done on the PS2 then there's no excuse for what we had on the PS3.

# 212 drog1602 @ 08/25/14 12:08 PM
"Ask me anything" but expect vague answers, we will talk about it more later.

Oh, Thanks for the feedback

# 213 m_maclean24 @ 08/26/14 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcaes33
with almost 5 million EASHL games played last season how can you justify gutting the best part of the game? just to squeeze more money out of parents pockets so that kids can buy cards! I guarantee you nobody who shells out 60$ actually wants to spend more money on your lousy hut cards. I was just about to get a new xbox one plus subcription and nhl15! but guess what? I'M DONE, thanks Sean you just saved me close to 800$ and 500 hrs time lost to this bs! Seriously HUT ? what a ****ing joke.can't wait for another real hockey game to come around again! will you be keeping the nhl14 eashl servers up and running or are you shutting those down?

# 214 shogunofharlem3 @ 08/26/14 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
These are the issues I've had with the 'cheating' AI for the past few years:
- Your CPU teammates are way too passive, while your CPU opponent hounds the puck carrier like you stole something from it.
- CPU will work tirelessly to keep the puck in the offensive zone. No clearing attempt is safe.
Not so much with your own dmen who are more than willing to hang at the redline.
- CPU will almost win every puck battle. Even after you level the CPU, your player will trip and struggle to grab the loose puck while the CPU will get up, dust itself off, grab the loose puck and head up ice.
- Too many times the CPU players will make the perfect play regardless of it's attributes. Low offensive skills? Doesn't matter. The player will still make a blind, behind the back pass right on the tape of it's teammate.
- CPU can do things with the puck and skating that you simply cannot.
Watch how many times the CPU will come flying into the zone with the puck, then magically start skating backwards without having to come to a full stop or lose any momentum.
(P.S. I see all of these things while playing on PRO, Simulation and default sliders).

I don't know if it was someone on these boards, or at HFBoards who made this statement, but I think it rings very true.
(Paraphrasing) - Generally that the game of hockey is more than just about who scores more. It's about winning puck battles, getting big saves, keeping the play alive, etc.
It's small little battles or mini-games occurring all the time, and yet the CPU wins all those battles 90% of the time, just to make the game competitive.
It's poor AI on EA's part.
Now, they may have gotten away with using the excuse that current-gen systems suck so they had to add boosts or cheats in order to make the game hard.
But nobody should be able to see any of these things on next-gen consoles.
I can understand making your own CPU teammates passive because the opposing CPU AI is so bad that it can't handle high pressure without cheating.
But with all this new hardware, the only limitations are the programmers skills.
So if we still see these cheats, it's because either the programmers didn't have enough time to work on the game, or they simply lack the skill to build realistic AI*.

*This is something I believe is the real case. I hate to continue to bring it up, but NHL2K3 had amazing CPU AI. If that can be done on the PS2 then there's no excuse for what we had on the PS3.
Well put. And please don't forget the AI's ability to be completely pinned against the boards and KICK a pass to the slot onto the tape of a teammate for a one time goal............those kick passes to the slot kill me.

Haven't seen nearly as many post edits, but its there! CHEATERS! Not to derail the "ask me anything.." thread. Just had to add that to your list. That is infuriating

# 215 Money99 @ 08/26/14 04:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeKing
Rammer just retweeted some guy asking for EASHL to be in the game in the near future. Seems strange he'd retweet that. I wonder if that's a subliminal shot at the 'suits'. I'd bet the devs wanted this mode in. Just my .02.
This wouldn't surprise me at all.
I believe it was Rammer who was a bit testy about NHL not getting the NG treatment last year.

I'm wondering if the line of thinking was that there are far fewer PS4's and XB1's in homes compared to PS3's and 360's.
So the suits give the green light and just enough resources to make a barebones NG game.
This will have some people buying next-gen consoles, while also wanting to buy the current-gen games, just to keep their online leagues going.

I wonder how many NHL fans will purchase both versions? I'm guessing quite a few.

As an offline gamer, the lack of online modes doesn't affect me. I'm kind of glad they spent most of their energy on gameplay as opposed to extra modes.

# 216 bigwill33 @ 08/26/14 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeKing
Rammer just retweeted some guy asking for EASHL to be in the game in the near future. Seems strange he'd retweet that. I wonder if that's a subliminal shot at the 'suits'. I'd bet the devs wanted this mode in. Just my .02.
Of course he wanted EASHL in, they just couldn't get it working in time he said. I don't think they ever planned on the game not being fully featured. And I highly doubt he is trying to "stick it" to his parent company.

If anything maybe it is a good sign that it is possible that it could be patched in sometime after release. With the way that Rammer operates we may never know. And in this case I would be he stays pretty quiet because if he alluded to something being added and was wrong he would have to eat major crow... again.

EA has no one to blame for this debacle but themselves. They are the ones that handicapped themselves in working on this game to allot enough time to complete it fully. They had more than enough time with taking last year off for next gen to get this all up and running and add everything. They just weren't prepared and didn't make the right decisions and it bit them when they didn't start working on this game until a year ago. Now we will seemingly be playing catchup for years to get everything that this gen of hockey should have been born with.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.