Home
Madden NFL 15 News Post

Up until last year, playing defense was about as fun as watching grass grow in Madden. Perhaps I am overstating things a bit, but the simple truth is that Madden was only really fun on one side of the ball. Defense was a burden you bore to get to the next offensive possession.

Not so this year.

Defense this year actually has compelling components to it and, dare I say it, it's actually kind of fun. Playing as a defensive end and trying to get around an elite OT is a challenge I've long waited for in Madden. The big thing defense is missing is a set of dedicated DB/WR interactions you can utilize while playing as a member of your favorite team's secondary.

I did notice that rushing the passer was a little too easy on default settings, so I did have to employ some slider tweaks. The good news is sliders are effective at curing many of the little problems you will run into in this game, so many will get a game they really love with time.

Here are three ways I've found defense to be much improved:
  1. Tackling isn't a simple button mash anymore. There is a moment in every approach of the ballcarrier that you have to decide if you want to risk missing out to deliver a bit hit or not. I've missed tackles due to this, so there's a real risk/reward you have to employ while trying to tackle the ballcarrier.
  2. The DL mechanics are simple, but they work. Rushing around the end with an elite pass rusher and trying to beat an elite OT is a wondrous experience. It adds intrigue to each play for sure, although I do hope in the future the player-to-player interactions become more dynamic to show this battle unfold each play.
  3. Playing as a LB or DB is more fun, not all the way where it should be. If you prefer to play as a LB or DB, it's certainly more fun than it has been to play in Madden, especially with the new over the shoulder camera angle. Shedding blocks makes playing as a LB'er much more of a timing based thing, almost like a mini-game in and of itself, but you'll feel weird in pass coverage almost guaranteed. The controls certainly work, although you do get the feeling there is another layer you aren't getting to fully explore at this level. Compared to last year, we've definitely taken a noticeable step forward though.
I will have more thoughts on defense and the mechanics you employ in my review of Madden NFL 15 coming up soon here on OS. Until then, enjoy my random stream of thoughts about the game I will be posting throughout the day on my Twitter feed.

Game: Madden NFL 15Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 42 - View All
Madden NFL 15 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Demoncrom @ 08/21/14 12:05 PM
This is good newsbut it still sucks you need slidersto make the balance better

# 2 SVCbearcat10 @ 08/21/14 12:22 PM
Too bad there's no demo. So much sounds promising, but videos make it seem like many of the legacy issues are still there. It's going to be tough to commit to buying this game because of it. I just worry that your first week or two with the game is getting used to some of these new features causing you to overlook other aspects. Once that newness wears off, legacy issues will make the game boring and fustrating rather quickly like in the past.

# 3 GlennN @ 08/21/14 12:46 PM
My question is whether playing defense is fun in the 360 version. I hated defense in M25, since the game would control your player for a step or two, which was annoying as all heck playing DL. I am not a very good gamer (and only play offline) - I want to be able to successfully rush the passer if I am using an elite DE (which I could not do in M25). Any thoughts on the 360 version?

# 4 RaychelSnr @ 08/21/14 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVCbearcat10
Too bad there's no demo. So much sounds promising, but videos make it seem like many of the legacy issues are still there. It's going to be tough to commit to buying this game because of it. I just worry that your first week or two with the game is getting used to some of these new features causing you to overlook other aspects. Once that newness wears off, legacy issues will make the game boring and fustrating rather quickly like in the past.
That's possible. I do think this year's game MAY be worth many's time...but don't let me or anything else make you think it's NOT Madden. It is, just a more refined/realistic/better version of the same thing we've had -- which is what should be expected from year to year.

# 5 RaychelSnr @ 08/21/14 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennN
My question is whether playing defense is fun in the 360 version. I hated defense in M25, since the game would control your player for a step or two, which was annoying as all heck playing DL. I am not a very good gamer (and only play offline) - I want to be able to successfully rush the passer if I am using an elite DE (which I could not do in M25). Any thoughts on the 360 version?
I don't have it

# 6 Senator Palmer @ 08/21/14 01:11 PM
Hey Chris,

What did you mean by this part?

Quote:
Playing as a LB or DB is more fun, not all the way where it should be. If you prefer to play as a LB or DB, it's certainly more fun than it has been to play in Madden, especially with the new over the shoulder camera angle. Shedding blocks makes playing as a LB'er much more of a timing based thing, almost like a mini-game in and of itself, but you'll feel weird in pass coverage almost guaranteed. The controls certainly work, although you do get the feeling there is another layer you aren't getting to fully explore at this level. Compared to last year, we've definitely taken a noticeable step forward though.
Are you referring to the camera angle making you feel disjointed (i.e. like you can't see what's going on behind you) or are you referring to the controls, etc.? Just wondering if you could expound a bit?

# 7 Sheba2011 @ 08/21/14 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennN
Check with JP he has the 360 version.

# 8 RaychelSnr @ 08/21/14 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palmer
Hey Chris,

What did you mean by this part?

Are you referring to the camera angle making you feel disjointed (i.e. like you can't see what's going on behind you) or are you referring to the controls, etc.? Just wondering if you could expound a bit?
A combination of all of the above. It's not BAD, just if you aren't ready for it, pass coverage is going to make you feel uncomfortable with the over the shoulder view. I think with some more time, that part will clear up for me.

# 9 falconfansince81 @ 08/21/14 01:48 PM
By over-the-shoulder view, you mean the default D cam right? Was wondering if there was a more zoomed in angle or something.

# 10 Khanchus @ 08/21/14 02:05 PM
I always loved Defense in every madden probably because i am a defensive guy

i loved when someone use to run the same play over and over and you had a smart defender like ray lewis the play art would come up...(i dont need it because formations usually give everything away)

never thought of it as watching the grass grown but it did need improvements

really excited to hear this and cant wait to get home and use my 6 hours of Madden

# 11 Demoncrom @ 08/21/14 02:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanchus
I always loved Defense in every madden probably because i am a defensive guy

i loved when someone use to run the same play over and over and you had a smart defender like ray lewis the play art would come up...(i dont need it because formations usually give everything away)

never thought of it as watching the grass grown but it did need improvements

really excited to hear this and cant wait to get home and use my 6 hours of Madden
I am also, but seeing my dends not be effective against weak tackles and the dt avg more sacks year in and out was getting old. I hated having the only option to play the Lb to be effectice. Even more I hate calling a full blitz and no one getting home. That rarely happens in real life, you might get beat over the top but everyone is not going to get blocked

# 12 RaychelSnr @ 08/21/14 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconfansince81
By over-the-shoulder view, you mean the default D cam right? Was wondering if there was a more zoomed in angle or something.
The camera that is literally from the defenses point of view is what I mean. Nothing that zoomed in (literally over the shoulder) is available.

# 13 tril @ 08/21/14 04:23 PM
with The DL mechanics are you finding the play fair on both sides of the ball. is the OL adjusting to superior lineman. or is it a case where once I mastered beating a line man Ill get to the qb/backfield at will.

I just want to see if the AI adjusts as they advertised.

and do you think this feature ties into game planning/franchise goals accurately or effectively. will the AI game-plan to stop my superior dl/lb etc.

# 14 MannTooth24 @ 08/21/14 04:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS
The camera that is literally from the defenses point of view is what I mean. Nothing that zoomed in (literally over the shoulder) is available.
Ohhh, the way you said it I kept thinking that the camera view is like that of a Go-Pro camera on your player's shoulder. It's just simply from the Defense POV.

# 15 ksufan7 @ 08/21/14 04:40 PM
Is there an option to use the previous camera angle (like the other versions) on D in Madden?

# 16 RandallB21 @ 08/21/14 05:05 PM
I have always liked playing defense in football games. Just as much if not more than offense. Being able to shut down an opponent is very satisfying. Maybe I am biased because I played FS and QB in high school (I liked FS more because we ran the ball A LOT!).

To me the challenge of defense is the fun.

# 17 SolidSquid @ 08/21/14 05:09 PM
Are defensive match ups back this year?

# 18 patsfan12001 @ 08/21/14 05:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksufan7
Is there an option to use the previous camera angle (like the other versions) on D in Madden?
I'm also wondering the same thing. Has anyone found an option to switch cameras? I like the play safety and it makes this current camera makes it tough to read the whole field.

# 19 BA2929 @ 08/21/14 05:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrom
This is good news but it still sucks you need sliders to make the balance better
This will be the case with every sports game that comes out for the rest of time. There's no way it's going to play perfectly out of the box for 100% of the consumers. That's why sliders are there. To make the game play better for each individual.

# 20 SamoanSteelerFromAus @ 08/21/14 09:18 PM
I guess this is the difference between me and a lot of people that play madden which why my criticism has been so strong towards the game - i actually find offense the boring side of the ball. Nothing is more satisfying than making a hit or picking off a pass in my opinion.
Granted i always create a linebacker so im chomping at the bit to get back on D.

The fact that EA has taken this long to focus on D in my mind is inexcusable. Not everyone who plays this game is all about the flash and bombing the ball downfield every play but it seems like this game has only catered to that fan for about 10 years now...

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.