Home
Madden NFL 15 News Post

The Quarterback position is probably the most over-analyzed and argument inducing position in the history of sports. Yet, it's almost universally agreed upon that it's the most important position in athletics. Simply put, if you don't have a good QB, you can't win a Super Bowl. You may even be able to stretch that even further by saying you have to have a great QB to win a Super Bowl.

The likes of the Chiefs, Vikings, and the Bears have all had solid teams in the recent past without having a great QB to throw them over the edge. It isn't a coincidence that only one time in the last five years have we had a Super Bowl without one of Manning, Brady, or Rodgers. A good QB is the key to unlocking the door to that next level for any hopeful franchise. So take a look at the top ten rated QB's in Madden 15, and see where your team's Super Bowl prospects lay:

1. Peyton Manning (98 OVR): 99 AWR, 99 SA, 96 MTA, 88 DTA, 98 PA
2. Aaron Rodgers (98 OVR): 80 SPD, 93 AWR, STA 93, TOTR 88
3. Drew Brees (96 OVR): 98 AWR, 97 STA, 91 MTA
4. Russell Wilson (93 OVR): 86 SPD, 84 AWR, 91 PA
5. Tom Brady (93 OVR): 99 AWR, 94 STA, 93 TP
6. Phillip Rivers (92 OVR): 91 AWR, STA 93, 95 PA
7. Tony Romo (91 OVR): 89 AWR, STA 90, PA 90
8. Ben Roethlisberger (90 OVR): 93 AWR, 89 STA, 94 TOTR
9. Cam Newton (89 OVR): 86 SPD, 97 TP, TOTR 95
10. Colin Kaepernick (89 OVR): 88 SPD, AWR 75, TP 95

Most Overrated: Tony Romo (91)
Most Underrated: Andrew Luck (87 OVR)

What QB fits your style of play best in Madden NFL?

Game: Madden NFL 15Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 42 - View All
Madden NFL 15 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 Sheba2011 @ 08/24/14 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballshawn24
Wow. people have no idea how good matt ryan is. he is 2x better than Russell wilson.
Only 2x lol? I would say more like 5-10x better and I am a big fan of Russ, just think he is incredibly overrated.

# 42 Haze88 @ 08/24/14 06:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bc21045
Yes, which makes the statement that the better defense wins yearly inaccurate.
Maybe yearly was an exaggeration but it holds true most of the time. Better D=SB win

# 43 Blackout863 @ 08/25/14 02:44 AM
Only in Madden does Russell Wilson rank ahead of Big Ben and Tom Brady, both who are better PASSERS regardless of age. Also Cam Newton, Colin Kaepernick both rank ahead of Matt Ryan, Jay Cutler, Andrew Luck, Eli Manning.

I at times wonder do the people at EA Sports actually watch football or do they just cater to casual and tourney gamers both of which need ratings to dictate their so called perception of the NFL

# 44 MAGboyswifT27 @ 08/25/14 09:31 AM
The good thing is once the Madden/NFL season gets started hopefully we'll have those roster/rating updates to change some of this..

# 45 adub88 @ 08/25/14 10:03 AM
I'm not even trippin. Luck will get his ratings adjustment very soon. I can only imagine how much better he will be once we shore up the interior of our O-Line.

# 46 coogrfan @ 08/25/14 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haze88
They have had good coaches, Bill Parcells and Sean Payton among others have been on their staff but Jerry is way to hands-on with the football operations, but they still should have managed more than 1 playoff win under Romo if he's that good. Peyton, Brady, and Brees do more with less yearly. They beat NY and we don't see them in that SB

Are you kidding me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by percyhoward
I went back to 1970 looking for teams with similar make ups to the Cowboys to see what kind of W-L records I would find.

The specific parameters were
for the QB:
Top 10 in passer rating

for the defense:
Bottom 10 in pass rating (against)

for running game:
rush TD below league average
Bottom 10 in rushing attempts

The first ranking is defensive pass rating, followed by rushing attempts and rushing TD, then the QB's rank in pass rating that season.

1973 Phi def 25th, rush (att 24th, TD 20th) Gabriel 5th 5-8-1
1980 NO def 27th, rush (att 28th, TD 25th) A. Manning 8th 1-15
1982 SF def 22nd, rush (att 27th, TD 17th) Montana 5th 3-6
1983 GB def 21st, rush (att 23rd, TD 17th) Dickey 8th 8-8
1986 Buf def 23rd, rush (att 25th, TD 23rd) Kelly 8th 4-12
1986 Mia def 26th, rush (att 31st, TD 23rd) Marino 2nd 8-8
1988 Mia def 23rd, rush (att 28th, TD 19th) Marino 10th 6-10
1991 Mia def 24th, rush (att 25th, TD 22nd) Marino 7th 8-8
1993 Atl def 28th, rush (att 26th, TD 26th) Hebert 10th 6-10
1994 Atl def 21st, rush (att 28th, TD 22nd) George 9th 7-9
1994 NO def 26th, rush (att 27th, TD 17th) Everett 5th 7-9
1996 Bal def 28th, rush (att 24th, TD 16th) Testaverde 5th 4-12
2004 Min def 28th, rush (att 28th, TD 29th) Culpepper 2nd 8-8
2011 Dal def 25th, rush (att 24th, TD 30th) Romo 4th 8-8
2012 NO def 28th, rush (att 29th, TD 21st) Brees 8th 7-9
2012 Dal def 29th, rush (att 31st, TD 27th) Romo 10th 8-8
2013 Dal def 26th, rush (att 31st, TD 18th), Romo 8th 8-8

A lot of bad defenses and unproductive running games there, and no winning records to be found.

In 2012, the Cowboys became the first team with these kinds of numbers in consecutive seasons. In 2013, they became the first team with these kinds of numbers three years in a row.

Marino and Romo are the only QB's to have played on this kind of team more than once.

Note that only one of the QB's you named (Brees) appears on this list. Not surprisingly, the Saints had a losing record that season.

# 47 DChero @ 08/25/14 01:07 PM
To go the other way with the discussion, does anyone think that the reason for Wilson and Brady both having 93 overalls isn't so much Wilson being the Super Bowl winner, but Brady having a down year? Are we accepting that Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers are THAT much better than Brady at this point in time?

# 48 Sheba2011 @ 08/25/14 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackout863
Only in Madden does Russell Wilson rank ahead of Big Ben and Tom Brady, both who are better PASSERS regardless of age. Also Cam Newton, Colin Kaepernick both rank ahead of Matt Ryan, Jay Cutler, Andrew Luck, Eli Manning.

I at times wonder do the people at EA Sports actually watch football or do they just cater to casual and tourney gamers both of which need ratings to dictate their so called perception of the NFL
This is exactly it. Ratings are marketing for EA, that's how they draw in the casual gamers who want to see their favorite player ranked a 99. The players who might spend an hour in CFM but will play hundreds of online/play now games with their friends. Just wait by the end of season Johnny Manziel and Michael Sam will both be in the 90's whether they deserve it or not. They are the two most popular players thanks to ESPN round the clock coverage of them.

# 49 MAXIPAD2K @ 08/25/14 04:32 PM
How the hell is Wilson that high a overall? He is too over-rated just because he won a damn superbowl that was mostly because of one of the best defense's in history

# 50 rojohpp @ 08/25/14 04:41 PM
If Brady puts an ugly year they will always come up like: "Well check all those P.Manning WRs!" or he needs more RBs or OL. Ratings are from the present not last 5 years. If Eli Manning is throwing 30ints.. put him with 65 OVR. His two rings does not count right now with his ratings.

This is a comment I liked alot by who knows who.
"Lets just look at some of tom bradee's "playoff wins SHALL WE? At home tom brady musters 10 pts for the game and gets sacked fumbling the ball and losing the game NO WAIT ITS A TUCK!!! Which Had NEVER been called before that and was SO stupid it doesn't EXIST ANYMORE, they tie the Game on a field goal and win in OT. The VERY NEXT GAME tom brady puts up ZERO POINTS on the scoreboard gets KO'ed from the game in the 2nd qrt Bledsoe leads them to the superbowl and guess who gets the PLAYOFF "WIN" TOM BRADIE!! Hmm even in baseball you gotta go longer than that to get the win. Then the Super Bowl where Tom throws for a record setting 90 YARDS! in the first 58 mins of the game while the DEFENSE holds the "Greatest show on Turf" to 17pts IN A DOME ON TURF! Then brady throws for 50 yards no attempt being over 8yds against a PREVENT to get into 50yd field goal range to win it ALL BY HIMSELF and he gets The LEAST IMPRESSIVE MVP FOR A QB EVER with 147yds and 1td! Can you Imagine if that had been TIM TEBOW?!! He WOULD HAVE BEEN FIRED THE NEXT DAY!! How bout 2004 vs colts and mannings 49td season in the snow in foxborough the DEFENSE holds the top scoring O to 3pts and brady throws for 145yds while COREY DILLON runs for 144yds it was all brady again HUH? 2011 AFC Championship Brady turns the ball over 4 Times!!! Luckily Two of them were Mysteriously called back! So he finished with a whopping 57 QB RATING!! Then he comes on stage to except the trophy and admits HE SUCKED, but we just CHALK UP ANOTHER "POSTSEASON WIN"!! hooray! What about JUST THIS YEAR in the playoffs Lagarrett Blount runs for 170yds AND 4 TOUCHDOWNS and how many "POSTSEASON WINS" does he get for his trouble???? ZERO!!! because the WIN goes to... DRUMROLL PLEASE!!! TOM BRADIEEEEEE!!!! Who threw for 198yds and completed 52% of his passes so clearly he deserved it. The team put up over 40pts without him!! When was the Last time Peyton Manning or tony romo threw for less than 200yds and had ZERO TDS in a game and their team put up 43pts?!!!!!!"

Plus the infamous spy gate and the stolen playbooks. To me Brady is the overrated not Romo.

# 51 Iceman87GT @ 08/25/14 06:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba2011
Still scratching my head trying to figure out how Russell Wilson is a 93 OVR and the 4th best QB in the entire league.
What did he do to warrant this? Play on a team where his defense carried them to a SB? Just look at his season last year:

Yardage: 16th behind Cam Newton and just ahead of Alex Smith (Romo 12th)
TD's: 9th tied with Matt Ryan (Romo 5th)
Comp %: 12th behind Carson Palmer and ahead of Jay Cutler (Romo 9th)
QBR: 7th behind Drew Brees and head of Tony Romo (8th)
YPG: 29th behind Cam Newton and head of Matt Cassel. (11th)

Where is this 4th best QB ranking coming from?? I have nothing against him, I think he is a good young QB but as a QB he is no better than Alex Smith (both passing and rushing). And you think Romo is the overrated one?

I was going to mention is ability to hold onto the ball, but then I compared his stats against the rest of the league, and he is #13 in INT percentage with a 2.2% (10th if you remove all the QBs who started fewer than 10 games, but 12th among projected 2014 Starters (Aaron Rodgers, and Josh Mckown started 9 and 5 games respectively, you could probably throw McKown out of consideration here, but that only bumps him up one spot). Sure he's only thrown 19 INTs in his 2 seasons and only 9 this year, but he also doesn't pass as much so he is throwing the ball to the opposition at a greater rate than a lot of the top QBs who have more INTs.

So compared to the best QBs he is no more efficient at not turning the ball over. He is sacked a lot, and gives up a lot of yards compared to his contemporaries on said sacks (272 yards on 44 sacks). Out of the 38 QBs who were sacked last year his sack percentage of 9.8% (roughly one sack per 10 plays), ranked 35th.

So the few things that I was under the impression separated him from other QBs turned out to not be true. I think he could eventually be a 93 overall QB, but right now he isn't. His mistakes aren't as costly as they are for other teams because the defense is so stout and he has a strong running game to cut down on the number of times that he is asked to make a big play with his arm.

Strangely enough I have no issue with Romo being where he is ratings wise as long as his confidence is easily shaken in the game. Romo is asked to make up for his team's lack of defense far too often. Anybody remember the Broncos game last year when Romo was practically perfect until the final drive, Anyone remember how the defense crumbled making a game winning drive necessary, Romo makes one mistake and everyone forgets that the defense blew that game by having more holes than swiss cheese. Same goes for the Packers game, though that one can be pinned on him more because he should have lead his receiver on the Shields pick, or he could have not audibled out of the running play and the Cowboys could have run the clock to just about zero.

Romo isn't clutch, and if you rattle him he's gonna show it with his play, but when he is on he is one of the better QBs in the league.

# 52 Alexander18 @ 08/25/14 08:07 PM
Wilson probly shouldn't be rated that high and giving the 4th spot for multiple reasons.

1. His team defense and OL is what got him a ring.. not his playing skills. but don't get me wrong im not calling him a bad QB at all. he has a arm and good with play action passes. But the man can probly win a game just throwing 8 passes.

2. he is overrated just like Tony Romo. Again his team is stacked.. not like they have just him to depend on unlike other teams who have offense with no defense. He is fast on his feet but pretty soon almost every team in the future would adapt the read formation.

but he better than Romo in my eyes and he will be my QB if my top 3-4 isn't taken

# 53 jdareal21 @ 08/25/14 08:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackout863
I think something can be said for where these QBs are right now before the start of the season. Career-wise, for instance, of course Big Ben has the edge over Wilson, but at this stage of their careers, Wilson is a better QB with easily a better team at his disposal. His mobility and intelligence while using that mobility, probably gives him a big ratings jump as well, although you won't get any argument from me concerning Brady.

Then again, I think Rodgers is the best QB in the league, however bias I might be. He has (or should have) the same accuracy & awareness of a Manning, Brees or Brady, arguably better arm strength than all three & he also moves lightyears better than all three of them combined. But the rosters will make adjustments, everything should right itself, even if we all have our gripes right now...

# 54 9erFan4Life @ 08/26/14 12:35 AM
Romo and Rivers both better then Kaepernick? A quarterback that has gotten to the last three NFC title games and he's the 10th best QB in the league. BS

# 55 NoFlyZoneAzCards @ 08/26/14 03:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS

The Quarterback position is probably the most over-analyzed and argument inducing position in the history of sports. Yet, it's almost universally agreed upon that it's the most important position in athletics. Simply put, if you don't have a good QB, you can't win a Super Bowl. You may even be able to stretch that even further by saying you have to have a great QB to win a Super Bowl.

The likes of the Chiefs, Vikings, and the Bears have all had solid teams in the recent past without having a great QB to throw them over the edge. It isn't a coincidence that only one time in the last five years have we had a Super Bowl without one of Manning, Brady, or Rodgers. A good QB is the key to unlocking the door to that next level for any hopeful franchise. So take a look at the top ten rated QB's in Madden 15, and see where your team's Super Bowl prospects lay:

1. Peyton Manning (98 OVR): 99 AWR, 99 SA, 96 MTA, 88 DTA, 98 PA
2. Aaron Rodgers (98 OVR): 80 SPD, 93 AWR, STA 93, TOTR 88
3. Drew Brees (96 OVR): 98 AWR, 97 STA, 91 MTA
4. Russell Wilson (93 OVR): 86 SPD, 84 AWR, 91 PA
5. Tom Brady (93 OVR): 99 AWR, 94 STA, 93 TP
6. Phillip Rivers (92 OVR): 91 AWR, STA 93, 95 PA
7. Tony Romo (91 OVR): 89 AWR, STA 90, PA 90
8. Ben Roethlisberger (90 OVR): 93 AWR, 89 STA, 94 TOTR
9. Cam Newton (89 OVR): 86 SPD, 97 TP, TOTR 95
10. Colin Kaepernick (89 OVR): 88 SPD, AWR 75, TP 95

Most Overrated: Tony Romo (91)
Most Underrated: Andrew Luck (87 OVR)

What QB fits your style of play best in Madden NFL?
Tony romo should be a 87 ovr. Russell Wilson is good at 93 ovr. I think Andrew luck should be around 90-93 ovr

# 56 Sheba2011 @ 08/26/14 04:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DChero
To go the other way with the discussion, does anyone think that the reason for Wilson and Brady both having 93 overalls isn't so much Wilson being the Super Bowl winner, but Brady having a down year? Are we accepting that Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers are THAT much better than Brady at this point in time?
If your basing it just off last year then Aaron Rodgers missed a lot of time with injury. And the Top 5 QB's in each signigcant category would be:

Yards: TD's: Completion %:
Manning Manning Rivers
Brees Brees Brees
Stafford Dalton Manning
Ryan Rivers Ryan
Rivers Romo Rodgers

Wilson still wouldn't be a top 5 QB and that would open up even more questions about the top 5. The only logical conclusion is because Wilson "won" the SB and Brady had a down year.

# 57 Sheba2011 @ 08/26/14 04:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman87GT
I was going to mention is ability to hold onto the ball, but then I compared his stats against the rest of the league, and he is #13 in INT percentage with a 2.2% (10th if you remove all the QBs who started fewer than 10 games, but 12th among projected 2014 Starters (Aaron Rodgers, and Josh Mckown started 9 and 5 games respectively, you could probably throw McKown out of consideration here, but that only bumps him up one spot). Sure he's only thrown 19 INTs in his 2 seasons and only 9 this year, but he also doesn't pass as much so he is throwing the ball to the opposition at a greater rate than a lot of the top QBs who have more INTs.

So compared to the best QBs he is no more efficient at not turning the ball over. He is sacked a lot, and gives up a lot of yards compared to his contemporaries on said sacks (272 yards on 44 sacks). Out of the 38 QBs who were sacked last year his sack percentage of 9.8% (roughly one sack per 10 plays), ranked 35th.

So the few things that I was under the impression separated him from other QBs turned out to not be true. I think he could eventually be a 93 overall QB, but right now he isn't. His mistakes aren't as costly as they are for other teams because the defense is so stout and he has a strong running game to cut down on the number of times that he is asked to make a big play with his arm.

Strangely enough I have no issue with Romo being where he is ratings wise as long as his confidence is easily shaken in the game. Romo is asked to make up for his team's lack of defense far too often. Anybody remember the Broncos game last year when Romo was practically perfect until the final drive, Anyone remember how the defense crumbled making a game winning drive necessary, Romo makes one mistake and everyone forgets that the defense blew that game by having more holes than swiss cheese. Same goes for the Packers game, though that one can be pinned on him more because he should have lead his receiver on the Shields pick, or he could have not audibled out of the running play and the Cowboys could have run the clock to just about zero.

Romo isn't clutch, and if you rattle him he's gonna show it with his play, but when he is on he is one of the better QBs in the league.
I think in 2-3 years Wilson is a 93 overall but right now he is an 85 at best. As for Romo I remember that Bronco's game he was masterful and the defense gave up what 54 points? And somehow it was Romo's fault they lost. That one left me laughing at the talking heads all week long. A QB is solely to blame for one mistake when his defense gives up that many points.

# 58 Sheba2011 @ 08/26/14 04:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9erFan4Life
Romo and Rivers both better then Kaepernick? A quarterback that has gotten to the last three NFC title games and he's the 10th best QB in the league. BS
Just because Kap is surrounded by better talent (especially on defense) doesn't mean he is a better QB. Kap is in the same boat as Wilson he isn't asked to pass much so it's tough to say he is better than these guys. And then there is the stats:

Kap's 2013 season - 58.4%, 243 completions, 3197 yds, 21 TD's, 8 int's

You have to go back to 2007 to find a season that Rivers had numbers that low, Romo you would have to go back to 2006 (except his injury year when he played 6 games). These guys are consistently above 60%, 3500 yards and 25 TD's. Kap might one day be better than both but he has a long way to go.

# 59 CT Pitbull @ 08/26/14 04:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DETROITROB
Stafford doesnt crack the top 10?

If Cutler doesn't, Stafford definitely doesn't. How many playoff victories does Stafford have? And the whole Kaepernick issue is looking like he's gonna take a big step backwards this year. Its only preseason but he has looked pretty bad so far. Maybe because hes not running like he will during the real season.If they try to make him a throw it down the field guy I think he is gonna struggle. That's not what he does best. The niners were something like 30th in passing offense in 2013. They did NOT win all those games because of Kaep's ability to throw the ball and read defenses. They won on a power running game and a smothering defense.

# 60 coogrfan @ 08/26/14 10:35 AM
Quote:
Romo and Rivers both better then Kaepernick?

Absolutely. I'll go a step farther: SF would have hoisted a Lombardi Trophy last year if they had either one of these qbs instead of Kaep.

Quote:
A quarterback that has gotten to the last three NFC title games and he's the 10th best QB in the league. BS

Let's compare what these qb's had around them using the parameters from my earlier post in this thread:

2013 Dal def 26th in passer rating against; Dal off was 31st in rushing atts and 18th in rushing tds; Romo was 8th in qb rating; team finished 8-8

2013 SD def 28th in passer rating against; SD off was 6th in rushing atts and 25th in rushing tds; Rivers was 4th in qb rating; team finished 9-7

2013 SF def 4th in passer rating against; SF off was 4th in rushing atts and 3rd in rushing tds; Kaep was 10th in qb rating; team finished 12-4

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.