Home
NHL 15 News Post

NHL 15 is available now for EA Access subscribers. The game will be limited to 6 hours of gameplay.

Based off of early feedback, there is no player edit mode, create a player is in. Play a few games and let us know what you think.

Game: NHL 15Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 16 - View All
NHL 15 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 ASB37 @ 09/04/14 09:35 AM
Was taking the wait until this game is $30 on black friday approach on this game after reading all the news about missing features.

Without player editor in the game I will pass and hope EA cleans ship and gets some new people involved in NHL 16.

They really botched their next-gen debut. Will be interested to see what sales #'s are like.

# 62 csamuelsvt @ 09/04/14 09:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cujomatty
at 34 percent. Im done wasting my trial on the kings and rangers. Thoughts so far is im pleasantly surprised. I love the presentation and the commentary. seems alot smoother than the demo to me but like I said before I didnt really spend a whole lot of time with the demo.

a few bumps in the road but im interested in seeing what transpires once I can fiddle with the settings.

I completely understand people being upset about things missing but im gonna just take the game for what it is and I think theres alot of fun to be had in there.
maybe its because I went in with such low expectations but ya im impressed
Seems like for those that can't play that instead of wasting time on the same demo teams, let it completely download before playing to save the hours?

# 63 jeffforsberg21 @ 09/04/14 09:36 AM
Is it possible to save a roster file with this trial ? Would like to know if it's possible to open it with NHLVIEW

# 64 centauris @ 09/04/14 09:37 AM
Can anyone look to see if Fantasy drafts are in?

# 65 bigwill33 @ 09/04/14 09:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormyhog
Does the game have gametracker where you can go see replays of the events in the game?
Nope, that is probably where the confusion came in about the replays.

# 66 bigwill33 @ 09/04/14 09:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keirik
Can some of you guys stop with the no edit mode and custom music thrashing? I get it, but this is an impressions thread. Id like to read impressions.
People are asking what is in the game and what isn't. Since EA did a not-so-wonderful job of explaining things I would say it is on us to inform others about these things. That is an impression, nevertheless. It is my impression that these things are not in the game.

# 67 SVCbearcat10 @ 09/04/14 09:42 AM
The impressions are making me more excited about this game. Everything negative said about this game has absolutely nothing to do with gameplay. Looks like they put out a quality game to start next-gen.

Only the most hardcore fans are upset thus far. The vast majority that play this game could careless about spending hours editing players or watching replays. Yes, no EASHL is unfortunately; but in due time, OTP will be in so it's not that major of an issue. There are still plenty of modes that offer tons of value for your dollar.

# 68 Choneen @ 09/04/14 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVCbearcat10
There are still plenty of modes that offer tons of value for your dollar.
plenty of modes? Basically, there are two modes in the game that people will play. HUT and GM mode; both of which have regressed considerably since the last versions of the game. I don't get where you see "tons of value for my dollar".

# 69 Bronco Billy @ 09/04/14 09:52 AM
Honestly, I could not possibly care less about the lack of EASHL (or even AHL) this year as I never play either anyway.

The new presentation, the spit and polish applied through not only the video intros (which I loved in the demo), but also the NBCSN package throughout sold me immediately. I'm downloading the full version now and very much looking forward to taking my Avs through their paces for six hours.

The game is gorgeous, but I am still wondering about the final resolution in the XONE version compared to the PS4... that will determine which version I pickup.

# 70 bigwill33 @ 09/04/14 09:59 AM
Played one game: Dallas at Pittsburgh (Me). 6 min periods. All Star/Hardcore, default settings except bumped goalie cover puck slider up.

Won 5-4 in OT. Shots were 21-15 Penguins.

-Not a single penalty was called.

-Hemsky got hurt.

-They still don't know, or let you assign, who to take the face-offs when it is 4-4. I took the opening face-off of OT with Kunitz while Crosby lined up at LW. They won the face-off and came down and nearly scored.

-All of their goals were a result of no help from my backside D covering their man properly. They refuse to get in between of them, the puck, and the net. I often use the strong/puck side man to go and try and poke the puck loose or square up to take away lanes. Or I will bring the lowest forward down, F3, and play the lanes properly, but this does me no good anymore because my CPU is braindead in helping me.

-I scored that stupid short side goal that has been in the game for years. The one where you skate with a right handed shot down the right side, off of the right post, the d man cuts off the center of the ice and the goalie should be squared up with you, but if you you flick the stick in like a wrist deke towards the middle of the goal and then pull back and roof it short side the goalie neglects to cover the top corner on the extreme short side. Should never be a goal! Not with the d man taking away any potential from me cutting across and no option to pass across. The goalie should respect that post every single time! Awful!

-I recorded the tying goal by Dallas. Benn got pinned below the goal line and instantaneously kicked the puck into the slot where he had a man cutting, who happened to beat my CPU player again, easy short side goal, even though there would have never been any reason for Fleury to leave that same side post. If I can upload the video I will show you what I mean. It is just unrealistic crap at its best.

-Way too many times does the goalie do that desperation save where he pushes off from his knees/front of his pads and lunges out across the crease, like a short stop in the hole. Looks awful and works too often. That should be a once in ten games animation, at best.

-I was able to get to more loose pucks on offense than in the demo. Maybe it was just the Pens forecheck, but the puck seemed more alive and free.

-You can see career stats in the menus, in game, during the line change menus after pausing. The stats are not listed in a way in which you can see what team the players played for, however, just the league and year.

-While including the players stats and age and all that they neglected to put their jersey number in those same menus. Kind of a strange oversight.

-You will be happy to know that I broke a world record!: Not a single puck went out of play during my entire game. A first in the history of hockey! Do you know how many pucks go over the boards and glass in a real game? This is absurd to me, quite honestly. It just screams of EA wanting to not "bore" people with realism. Probably the same reason why the CPU goalies play the puck so much by default instead of freezing like a normal goalie would.

-Every player can pretty much pull off all of the dekes again. Nothing like coming down and dangling between your own legs with the likes of a superstar like Brandon Sutter. Yawn. At least we can edit the players so that we can see a greater discrepancy in talent... oh, wait.

-Top tiered defensemen do have a better ability of poking the puck loose though. Which is good, but let's be honest. A stick is a stick. If I am out on the ice one on one against an NHL player in real life and I close the gap and put my stick down for a poke check the puck won't go through my stick just because I suck compared to an NHL player. It shouldn't happen in this game either.

-Once again, you can work, work, work to set up a beautiful scoring chance and fake 3 players out of their jocks and then slide a last second, no look, pass, back door and across the crease and the goalie will save that 95 times out of 100. But come down and skate straight with a 4th liner that is not even on a good angle to score and his handedness takes away even more of his shooting angle and somehow you can snipe short side all day? What is that now, 5 or 6 years that this has been that way?

-Presentation is pretty much what you saw in the demo. The NBC stuff is nice and the live video helps me with the emersion. Commentary is not really any more in-depth from the demo. That isn't all that important to someone that plays a game as much as I do. It will be old and repetitive no matter who is calling it in about a week anyway. I will miss custom music and sounds though, that is a bummer, but it is mostly the console's faults for that. Although with their track record I am not sure EA would have had that feature in the game regardless of the console's capabilities.

-Menus have a slight lag to their responsiveness.

Xbox and upload studio won't let me upload my 8 second clip. Keep getting an error. Awesome!

# 71 bad_philanthropy @ 09/04/14 10:07 AM
A few things I've read is that BaGM indeed has no ability to play AHL games, and no preseason.

BAP doesn't have CHL or sim to next shift either.

Gameplay is great, but it's just not a finished game in terms of features standard in the contemporary sports game.

Should have released it as a gameplay beta. Gameplay is number one for me, but the features give the depth that keeps me playing all year.

# 72 Stormyhog @ 09/04/14 10:07 AM
Can you jostle in front of the net using the right stick?

# 73 Christian9 @ 09/04/14 10:07 AM
I find it interesting that I tweeted this...

@EASPORTSNHL Am I missing something, or are players actually not editable?!???

And the tweet is not even showing up! Anyone else have this issue with them?

On a side note, HB Studios (The Golf Club) is amazing. They respond to tweets quickly, and with respect and concern AND honesty! EA could learn something!!

# 74 snc237 @ 09/04/14 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauce12
Still in. But I just can't believe it. What the **** is wrong with these guys? I'm getting a feeling that the NHL series is laying on its deathbed. Never seen a game as half-assed as this.
Haha then you didn't see any of EAs launch games on the 360. Heck nba 2k15 didn't even have create a player last year and I couldn't play franchise mode cause I didn't have enough VC.

# 75 oasis90 @ 09/04/14 10:08 AM
Is it true that you can't play HUT against friends?

Inviato dal mio GT-I9505 utilizzando Tapatalk

# 76 BigD @ 09/04/14 10:08 AM
Didn't they patch in player editing in Madden a few years back? Maybe, just maybe there is a ray of hope?

# 77 Gagnon39 @ 09/04/14 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cujomatty
no slider adjustments or anything and im having alot of errant passes. I also just had the cpu clear the puck up the boards from behind the net and it was beautiful. looked perfect.
If this is the case I'll be very, very happy. My biggest gripe with the game has always been the tape-to-tape passing.

# 78 rudeworld @ 09/04/14 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRIXUS81
I love it so far! Downloaded the game at midnight and I'm pretty sure I have already burned through 3 hours Played a few 'Play Now' games and I noticed that the ice tilt/insane scoring from the demo is gone. I was ending demo games with scores like 3-5, I was worried I'd end up having high scoring games like 12-9 once I started playing in longer than 2 min periods but thats not the case. So far the games have been an average of 3-4 goals in 5min periods.

Decided to say what the heck, with the lack of EASHL I figured I'd mess around with HUT and on my very first pack (not the starter) I pulled Gabriel Landeskog, I was like WOW!!! I'm glad that the HUT menus are simple, I was worried EA would get carried away with the flashiness kinda like Madden FUT. On my quick HUT game that I played vs the CPU Landeskog scored 2 goals, one while he was on his knees, so yeah I am stoked for the 9th.

Quick question: I had the game preordered on Amazon but decided to cancel because UPS usually doesn't deliver anything in my place till 6pm and figured the Xbox one pre download would be way more convenient. How does it work when it comes to EA Access? Do I still need to download the pre download, or can I just use the current game I just downloaded this evening? I know after my 6hrs are up I'll get a message saying my time is up and go buy the game. But if I preorder the game will I just be able to boot up the current game I have now on the 9th?
Yes.... Happened with madden 15.

# 79 18 eighty 5 @ 09/04/14 10:12 AM
Played a handful of games...

Flipping through the NHL team overalls and there is hardly any difference in team ratings across offense, defense and goalies. The lowest teams are rated in the mid 80's whilst the highest range up to the low to mid 90's.

Gameplay is pretty much what we got in the demo. If you liked that you will like the full version. It feels a little unrefined to me, though I preferred the PS4 version so... The vaunted physics don't seem to be always 'active'. You can bump guys and they skate on like in past editions of the series, at other times guys fall over completely like they are just learning to play. It is EA CPU legacy stuff.

Not noticing much difference with the CPU teams, they all try to get to the slot and shoot.

Game looks best on True Broadcast cam but there is a problem in the bottom of the screen angles as the camera doesnt pan far enough into the corners at times to show where the puck is. Ice degradation is nice from this view.

The commentary keeps things very general in the pre game chat and you don't get any sense that they know the teams they are talking about. There is no mention of team names or specific stuff to create immersion. It is only when the game cuts to players on the ice that the commentary mentions player names, just like in the demo.

Whilst there is some fun to be had I can't help feel 15 is reminiscent of 07. It doesn't feel like a full product at all. Menus are threadbare and probably largely due to there being so few features on offer they are also annoying to navigate. Graphics are decent but not amazing. The puck physics are very good. Goalies are what they have always been. Skating feels a bit squirrelly. Game is very up and down. Not the next step in hockey gaming for mine so far. It just feels lacking and slightly vacuous perhaps because I have been here so many times before and the new stuff isn't enough to carry the day.

I am still on the fence and that is probably being generous. Will get back to it another time. But basically, if you played the demo, you played this already. Maybe sliders can bring out something better than the out of the box experience?

# 80 Gagnon39 @ 09/04/14 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by csamuelsvt
Supposedly the only arenas that aren't licensed were Carolina's and Chicago's
Freaking fantastic! Sheesh!

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.