Home
NHL 15 News Post

Now that the EA Access trial period has started, Xbox One players have noticed that the list of missing modes and features in next-gen NHL 15 is much larger than previously expected. In a prior interview with Sean Ramjagsingh, some of these were hinted at but not fully disclosed, but the depth of some of the gutted features seems to be larger than initially anticipated. The following items are features which users have noticed are missing while playing the early access to NHL 15 -- keep in mind this information is preliminary and some of these could actually be in the game but well hidden. With just six hours of time to test, it doesn't leave much room to explore:

Modes/Features
  • No GM Connected
  • No Online Team Play (when this is patched into the game later this year, it will use real NHL players and teams)
  • No EA Sports Hockey League
  • No EA Sports Arena
  • No Online Shootouts
  • No Live the Life
  • No Be A Legend
  • No Winter Classic
  • No tournaments or Battle for the Cup
  • No season mode (you can only play seasons in Be A GM, which is limited to NHL teams)
  • No NHL 94 Anniversary mode
  • No custom music support
  • No create-a-play designer
  • Cannot customize each team's AI
  • No create-a-team
  • No way to edit individual players
  • Practice mode is now limited to one skater vs. an AI goalie
Gameplay
  • No custom camera option
  • No Action Tracker replay highlights
  • No Top 3 Stars at the end of games.
Be A GM
  • Yearly draft is fully automated by the CPU
  • Cannot play the AHL games for your chosen franchise
  • Players sent down to the minors do not accumulate any season stats
  • No fantasy draft option
  • No preseason games
Be A Pro
  • No option to sim ahead to the next shift
  • You only play in the NHL; you cannot play for minor league teams
  • The Memorial Cup tryout period is gone. You now begin by picking an NHL team, or by letting a random CPU team draft you.
  • No All-Star game
Ultimate Team
  • Cannot play against your friends
  • No tournaments
  • No mobile app
All of the above features were available last year in NHL 14 for the Xbox 360/PlayStation 3 but appear to be missing this year on the new-generation of consoles. If you have NHL 15 early access and have noticed any of these are actually in the game or if anything additional is missing let us know in the comments below.

Game: NHL 15Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 16 - View All
NHL 15 Videos
Member Comments
# 141 Nickflyers @ 09/04/14 10:54 PM
Hopefully Sean has an answer for this

SR: In Be-A-GM, you have the opportunity to control your own franchise and guide them to a Stanley Cup. All of the basics of the mode are there: there’s free agency, trading, and the rookie draft. You can play up to 25 seasons as well. The core of that mode is there.

We’re continuing as part of our updates to bring back some of that depth in different ways. We’ll have more details on what the patch plans for Be-A-GM specifically at a later date. The goal was to create a solid foundation to continue to build upon and to bring back things our fans have been asking for which we haven’t been able to in the past because of other technical limitations we’ve had.

# 142 jpollack34 @ 09/04/14 10:55 PM
Here is where I think a large part of the problem stems from for EA Sports... and unfortunately it is a disease that a lot of shareholder corporations suffer from... The focus is ENTIRELY on short term profits (minimizing costs as much as possible included). They suffer from this disease and then blame things like piracy for example or other factors like mobile gaming, which further leads to the vicious cycle of focusing on the short term even more so.

Imo, EA listens way to much to sales guys with their bar charts and pie graphs, not realizing that it's all about building a "brand" over time. Building a brand requires bringing your games to all possible platforms, and not trying to shoehorn users into gaming the way you want. Pie charts and graphs get you nowhere. The guys over at Valve/Steam (who making money hand over fist) basically have meetings that consist of Newell walking in and saying "what do the users want on the message boards... ok let's do it"... That's what it's all about.. So long as you make it about meeting quarterlies you will begin a slow descent into oblivion.

You see it with all EA titles... they are going backwards imo. The future of gaming is all about customization and allowing user generated content. They are going backwards.

# 143 Teigh Cubs Teigh @ 09/04/14 10:55 PM
I wasn't too upset by the previously revealed missing features as I'm strictly an offline BeaGM player. I had every intention of buying this game on Tuesday, but with the absolutely gutted nature of every single mode in this game I cannot justify it. I love playing hockey video games, but this is just ridiculous. I'll play the demo over and over again to get my hockey fix long before I put down a single cent on this year's game.

# 144 Dmeadows013 @ 09/04/14 11:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox04
I was going to buy this. But I'm a franchise guy or in this case be a gm. The simple fact that i cant draft my own players pretty much closes the door on me how do build your own team if you cant "shop for the groceries" lol had to throw that in there .
Exactly this... What if I have the first overall pick and instead of drafting Connor McDavid, it drafts the next Patrick Stefan

# 145 tyler289 @ 09/04/14 11:06 PM
100% chance next year we a "new and improved edit player mode!" that features 2 new faces.

I'm still in shock all those basic things are missing. It's almost like the producers were like, "Oh wait, I thought Bill was supposed to do it? Oops. Maybe no one will notice."

# 146 wxkid23 @ 09/04/14 11:08 PM
Disgusting. I generally only play now online games but still this is bad. Is the no shootouts in online games talking about shootouts at the end of OT games?

# 147 jyoung @ 09/04/14 11:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxkid23
Is the no shootouts in online games talking about shootouts at the end of OT games?
Shootouts still happen during normal games.

What was taken out for NHL 15 was a specific mode where you could play just a shootout online vs. another person. It was a good way to practice your breakaway moves.

# 148 wxkid23 @ 09/04/14 11:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
Shootouts still happen during normal games.

What was taken out for NHL 15 was a specific mode where you could play just a shootout online vs. another person. It was a good way to practice your breakaway moves.
Thanks for the info

I've seen the mode but never used it. I guess Xbox One is still the way to go. I was going to give GM mode a try but it looks like It's an empty feature

# 149 PES3Paul @ 09/04/14 11:20 PM
Are there any legal options that can be studied, and then taken against EA for this fiasco? Only when a company gets hit where the good Lord splits it, in the wallet, is the main attention-getter. This'll be, at least an example of how NOT to advertise or make a next-gen game.

Destiny's gonna slaughter NHL15 next-gen sales-wise beginning next Tuesday at 12:01AM. Count on it.

# 150 Gagnon39 @ 09/04/14 11:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PES3Paul
Are there any legal options that can be studied, and then taken against EA for this fiasco? Only when a company gets hit where the good Lord splits it, in the wallet, is the main attention-getter. This'll be, at least an example of how NOT to advertise or make a next-gen game.

Destiny's gonna slaughter NHL15 next-gen sales-wise beginning next Tuesday at 12:01AM. Count on it.
Um, no. EA's not done anything illegal.

# 151 pattyren @ 09/04/14 11:24 PM
This is a relief. I was pretty busy next week, anyways. Good to know that I won't be spending any more time and money on this turd-glazed franchise.

# 152 wxkid23 @ 09/04/14 11:30 PM
Plenty of people will still buy NHL 15 for nextgen. Especially the 95% of people who don't read up on games before buying them

# 153 jethrotull @ 09/04/14 11:36 PM
What the heck is point of having the CPU simulate the rookie draft for you. That's the dumbest thing I have ever heard

# 154 Rhaze48 @ 09/04/14 11:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxkid23
Plenty of people will still buy NHL 15 for nextgen. Especially the 95% of people who don't read up on games before buying them
Sadly that is the worst part, all the "bros" will just see NHL on the shelf and grab it. EA will pat themselves on the back for another year, and the true hockey game fans get screwed eternally.

# 155 jethrotull @ 09/04/14 11:39 PM
This is really sad, I wonder what they were thinking or if we would not find out?

# 156 siam007 @ 09/04/14 11:41 PM
I don't know what you people are talking about. The gameplay is great. I'm not being sarcastic here too. So a few modes are missing -- big deal, it's only the first year. Gamers these days have absurd feelings of entitlement.

# 157 Drakar @ 09/04/14 11:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhaze48
Sadly that is the worst part, all the "bros" will just see NHL on the shelf and grab it. EA will pat themselves on the back for another year, and the true hockey game fans get screwed eternally.
Its people like me who are willing to endure a year of brutal punishment because we can't live without an next-gen hockey game.

# 158 newjerseydamo @ 09/04/14 11:44 PM
I'm cancelling my preorder. I might pick it up later if a sale price for disc or digital happens, and only if I get desperate.

To not play friends in HUT or skip ahead in BAP?
That right there is shameful let alone the already cut features.

# 159 wxkid23 @ 09/05/14 12:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkknightrises
I don't believe that 95% of people by a game with out looking at previews and stuff in this day and age no way. I have a felling sales are not going to be that good now.
I might be a bit high but I think you underestimate how many people buy on impulse in the store or simply just "have" to have some type of hockey (or other sport) game

# 160 actionhank @ 09/05/14 12:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by siam007
I don't know what you people are talking about. The gameplay is great. I'm not being sarcastic here too. So a few modes are missing -- big deal, it's only the first year. Gamers these days have absurd feelings of entitlement.
Are you kidding? A few modes are missing?
Try a lot of modes, and a lot of features. There's no playing as you AHL team, your players that get sent down to the AHL in Be a GM don't gain experience or play any actual games, you don't actually get to control your draft picks, the list goes on. It's an incomplete game, and even what's there is just NHL14 with a fresh coat of paint.
I don't begrudge people for enjoying it themselves, but to act like this is anything but a botched release is crazy.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.