Home
NHL 15 News Post

If first impressions mean anything, your first impression of NHL 15 on the 360 and PS3 may very well be familiarity, but perhaps way too much so. The above video is one of a few different scattered reports from people who are claiming that NHL 15 on the 360 and PS3 shares all of the assets and menus as NHL 14. The above video certainly seems to point towards the gameplay being rather identical too, although it was claimed to us in an interview that previous gen NHL had received some upgrades.

The exact quote reads:

Quote:
"OS: How much work went into the current-gen version of NHL 15? Why should someone buy the current-gen version? What is being added?

SR: The full suite of modes from last year’s PS3/Xbox 360 version of NHL are in NHL 15 on the same consoles. We’ve added some multi-player physics to the game while changing the gameplay experience by taking some of what we did from the new consoles. We obviously couldn’t do everything because of the difference of the power of the consoles.

One of the requests fans have had for years is replacing the commentators, our new commentary team (Mike "Doc" Emrick and Eddie Olczyk) is also present in the PS3 and 360 versions of NHL 15."

With no other information to work off of, it's really hard to tell what was upgraded, especially on just video and anecdotal evidence. Regardless, it is very likely you won't be getting a radically different experience with NHL 15 on previous-gen consoles. We know you likely will get some slightly upgraded physics and a new commentary team, but menu assets and game art appear identical to last year. We are looking forward to testing this ourselves when NHL 15 launches on Season Ticket on the 360 and PS3 later today.

Game: NHL 15Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 16 - View All
NHL 15 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 Solid-Bri @ 09/06/14 09:15 PM
So we know the puck physics have been improved but what about the so-called "multi-player collisions"? Have you guys noticed any difference in the player physics compared to last year?

# 42 DPyro @ 09/06/14 09:29 PM
I just did a quick comparison of the games and there is barely anything that was changed aside from some sound and art files. In fact a good chunk of the game files are 95-100% identical.

# 43 supersilverbudz @ 09/08/14 11:26 AM
I've got XB1 and 360, and have logged tens of thousands of games in the NHL series (since Sega Genesis). After playing the XB1 early access (for the 6 allotted hours - don't even get me started with that f*cked up scheme by EA), I was excited about the new skating, shooting, and overall physics upgrades (but extremely disappointed to learn that EASHL would not be included). Since we wanted to continue playing EASHL, my buddies and I decided to buy NHL 15 for XBOX 360 (hope a search engine leads people to this post).

Holy merciful chr*st am I disappointed. Other than the announcers, it is virtually indistinguishable from NHL 14. Veteran players MAY notice SLIGHT changes in puck bounces and player collisions, but in the 30+ EASHL games I've played so far, those changes have had zero impact on overall gameplay or outcomes. The same sh*tty AI leads to the same sh*tty situations, and the same sh*tty goals can be scored from the same sh*tty places.

I pre-ordered the disc, and when it arrives I'll be returning it unopened. This product is simply not worth "new product" pricing. There's really no compelling reason to play this game instead of NHL 14 (no offense to Doc Emrick and the new broadcast team). If you're considering it, then buy it used or get it free.

# 44 supersilverbudz @ 09/08/14 11:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid-Bri
So we know the puck physics have been improved but what about the so-called "multi-player collisions"? Have you guys noticed any difference in the player physics compared to last year?
The difference is that if you skate into your teammate, you both might fall down on your knees for a second, and sometimes when you body check an opponent, you both might fall down at the same time. Tripping or falling down after contact with your own team is more common.

# 45 Bayharbourhoody @ 09/09/14 11:53 AM
Honestly, can anyone truly be that shocked at this? This game series gets worse with every update involving authenticity. It is a bad game from a bad company that has been allowed to limp on and even win undeserved awards because it is basically the only game in its category. Guess what, if I make the only car in existence, guess who will be winning all the car awards? Backdraft decisions have been made for years with this franchise....let's examine why. It's really no fault of the debs whatsoever. Ea just put the wrong people at the wheel. Period. Like who you might ask... Rammer or rambler or whatever he's been dubbed. Have you seen this guy? I'm almost certain if you even asked him to describe what physical activity looks like, he would stare at you blankly....and this is the guy considered the great oz of hockey....right. Even still he can't be blamed. So who's the pappy, the grand puba? Littman. Ever wonder why all those glitches and easy soft goals are incredibly frequent? Watch some of his games and it becomes clear the game was built on his Hal journeyman perspective. This guy is arguably one of the worst goaltenders in nhl history and he's the end all be all in ea hockey knowledge? Really? I mean don't you think if you were making an nhl game you would want a Stanley cup winner as the guy in charge of creativity? How about even somebody who has won a single nhl game before? Seem unreasonable? It is for ea. the blame however still lies elsewhere..... It's the business aspect combined with a crappy community and washy washy dev teams that have made this series bad. It starts with the community. Ridiculous demands in 50 different directions made at people who never should have been in charge in the first place. I mean c'mon, they had the great one at their fingertips...the guy most modern day hockey is based on.....did they pick apart his brain like madden did with jimmy Johnson and aikman. Nope . They asked him what it was like to score a bunch of goals. Good job... Pffft

# 46 bad_philanthropy @ 09/09/14 12:08 PM
So, uh, I'm actually pretty pleased with the 360 version. The stuff on ice, with slider adjustments, feels good.

-I like the improvements to skating and puck physics. The puck seems to have appropriate weight. There are still some instances on rebounds where it doesn't seem to react with proper weight, but I think overall puck physics are much improved.

-Manual passing seems sharper, and improved for the first time in years

-Saw some decent things from the cpu like using the boards to pass, and cycling the puck by chipping the puck along the boards to get it down low.

-CPU bs defensive moves like the ability to use physics-defying nudges from behind to dispossess human players seems gone. CPU seems to have a better sense of defending with body position and stick work.

-Teammate AI feels better to me. Feels like the have a better sense of how to get open, and even time getting off a check to receive a pass in the open.

The game will get a lot of flak for the recycled front end, but I'm quite pleased with the under the hood stuff, in addition to having the game modes that give the game longevity over the year.

# 47 Yundtder @ 09/09/14 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
So, uh, I'm actually pretty pleased with the 360 version. The stuff on ice, with slider adjustments, feels good.

-I like the improvements to skating and puck physics. The puck seems to have appropriate weight. There are still some instances on rebounds where it doesn't seem to react with proper weight, but I think overall puck physics are much improved.

-Saw some decent things from the cpu like using the boards to pass, and cycling the puck by chipping the puck along the boards to get it down low.

-CPU bs defensive moves like the ability to use physics-defying nudges from behind to dispossess human players seems gone. CPU seems to have a better sense of defending with body position and stick work.

-Teammate AI feels better to me. Feels like the have a better sense of how to get open, and even time getting off a check to receive a pass in the open.

The game will get a lot of flak for the recycled front end, but I'm quite pleased with the under the hood stuff, in addition to having the game modes that give the game longevity over the year.
This is the type of notes I am looking for.
I would accept an improved version of 14, I enjoyed it minus the hair pulling stupid glitches like bouncing puck, cheating CPU and no penalties called in High Impact except tripping and slashing...

# 48 bad_philanthropy @ 09/09/14 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yundtder
This is the type of notes I am looking for.
I would accept an improved version of 14, I enjoyed it minus the hair pulling stupid glitches like bouncing puck, cheating CPU and no penalties called in High Impact except tripping and slashing...
There do seem to be a few more penalties if with the slider on the highest setting due to new collision types. It's not perfect.

Again, I am playing with adjusted sliders on SS, and hitting tuned way down. I'm pretty satisfied, and will see where the next-gen effort is at next year.

# 49 johnnydrum @ 09/09/14 01:23 PM
Quote:

Oh well done mate.
After the initial disappointment and shock of the missing features on NEXT GEN, I decided to see how things look on the XBOX360 and am left buoyant by your findings.
Can you please confirm that there is a SEASON MODE in it?
(where you can select all 30 Teams?)
Its out here in the UK on Friday, so I appreciate the feedback.

# 50 bad_philanthropy @ 09/09/14 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydrum
Oh well done mate.
After the initial disappointment and shock of the missing features on NEXT GEN, I decided to see how things look on the XBOX360 and am left buoyant by your findings.
Can you please confirm that there is a SEASON MODE in it?
(where you can select all 30 Teams?)
Its out here in the UK on Friday, so I appreciate the feedback.

Keep in mind, this is still very much the NHL series we've been playing for eight years. I just happen to think it has some nice little upgrades in gameplay—especially if you use sliders to tweak your game.

A couple more observations:

-some nice new little animations that make things work better. I had a player lift one leg to let a puck travel past him to the man I had targeted on the cycle around the net. Only avoidance stuff I've seen before was the complete jump on low shots on net.

-Have seen some nice instances of multiple player collisions, and neat chain reactions like a guy going down and sliding and taking out another player not looking.

-goalies seem to have more momentum and weight to them. Seems to cause more instances of them being realistically out of position on some goals I've scored.

-I think goalie reaction is a bit too low on default, but bumped up one notch on the slider is a sweet spot for me so far. Had a 4-2 win with Buffalo against Montreal when I bumped it up and Price made some nice saves but he wasn't unbeatable, and I scored three greasers and a pure snipe against him.

-Still too easy to enter the zone, but the game feels a little messier overall.

-seems easier for the user to take penalties, but the cpu still isn't taking enough penalties.

-Feels like there is a better sense of player differentiation between ratings.

-It isn't revolutionary by any means, but I do feel like this is an improvement on 14. Is it worth it's price? For me it is since I've enjoyed every iteration of the series on gen 3 other than '12. If you haven't liked the series on gen 3 I don't think 15 is going to change that.

# 51 johnnydrum @ 09/09/14 02:39 PM
Brilliant...Im enthused!
Last season I edited every player DOWN in every attribute and ended up with a great, gritty game...It took weeks to edit every player, but well worth it in the end.
Thanks again

# 52 Yundtder @ 09/09/14 02:55 PM
Quote:
There do seem to be a few more penalties if with the slider on the highest setting due to new collision types. It's not perfect.

Again, I am playing with adjusted sliders on SS, and hitting tuned way down. I'm pretty satisfied, and will see where the next-gen effort is at next year.
I dont have a problem with penalties that dont happen, I have a big one with the ones that happen, and arent called.
In 14, under the High Impact setting, my players get knocked down in front of the CPU net all the time, with no interference call... Now I can do the same thing to be fair, with no call, but I want these to be calls for and against.

I can make penalties happen against me, like trip or slash ones, they happen enough and I take enough of them myself, its the ones that make the game cheat and kill the experience that bugged me about 14.

So if this is fixed for 15, I will put that in the pro column

# 53 Majingir @ 09/09/14 02:59 PM
Does the game still have the "snow shower" movement in it for user controlled players? It was something I noticed was introduced in NHL13(I haven't played NHL14 so I don't know if it was taken out).

Basically, if your player skates in one direction,then switches directions, there'd be abit of a lag(where a "snow shower" happens due to the player stopping and changing directions), but the problem is that the CPU never had this type of thing, so while your player actually stopped and changed directions and all,the CPU could change directions all in one smooth motion,which resulted in them getting past your guys so easily on offense and defense.

# 54 LuminousCarcass @ 09/09/14 03:24 PM
Quote:

I agree with pretty much everything mentioned here; the pucks physics being the most noticeable, significant change.

I typically play as the goalie, and my first two games on NHL 15 (with slider adjustments) were intense. The first I lost to NJ (as NYI with their Winter classic alternate jersey) in a shootout for a score of 2-1. The second I beat FLA (as BUF) 4-2. In both games, shots, face-offs, and hits were realistic numbers (for 7 min periods).

The under-the-hood tweaks are nice; they're subtle but noticeable when playing the game. Also, when playing as the goalie, I don't feel inherently cheated and feel like I have a legit chance at most save opportunities. The goalies feel more liquid, as opposed to rigid and choppy.

Of course, the EA roster is garbage. I'm so used to playing the Revamped rosters, I hate seeing every NHL team with four / four and half stars in all areas.

Basically, if the tennis ball, Mickey Mouse physics of NHL 14 don't bother you, I'd stick with NHL 14. If you want a re-tuned, less choppy product, with some nice cosmetic touches (updated logos, player pics, jerseys, a couple of new European teams), I'd get 15.

# 55 pezdaddy @ 09/10/14 12:57 PM
Quote:

are you using your own sliders, or used anyone else's ? I'm looking to get a good set for pro mode on 360

# 56 savedbyrask @ 09/10/14 01:15 PM
I can't start my own thread, but this is an appropriate forum. Can we petition EA to at the very least add the NBC stuff to the 360/ps3 version? I'm not talking the full overhead view of the city and the pregame stuff, but just the score clock and NBC logo instead of the ugly stuff EA did. I don't see why this couldn't have been added, or forced by NBC as part of the new deal. Why do it on one Gen and not both? It doesn't seem like it would be any more CPU intensive than what they have already, and it would be prettier. Then, I could justify spending the extra money on the new version of the game. Why spend the extra cash for just a roster update when I can get it here for free?

I'm aware of how things change when they change formats, I remember Madden 02 I think when EA stopped building for the PC. Ps3 and Xbox were getting the ability to challenge plays but it wasn't included in PC for some reason. I think with the new commentary team, they should AT LEAST add the logo branding on the boards and on screen. And even if they did a static picture of the outside arena, like NHL 96(?) for PC, that would help too, but I'd be happy with just the logo branding. This I was really expecting and was disappointed by. I knew the full stuff would only be on next gen, but to not have ANY NBC stuff on last gen just seems to be sticking it to the consumers, as well as to NBC.

I'm sticking with 14 for now, 15 is coming via gamefly, and I'll get it for ps4 during tax season, when hopefully all upgrades promised to you folks are available.

# 57 savedbyrask @ 09/10/14 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack72
Why NBC...I'd rather have TSN, Sportsnet, or CBC.
Because NBC is the one they had a partnership with. Although I wouldn't mind getting Don Cherry in the game. The point is, if they made a deal with NBC, why would they not brand both gen games with the NBC stuff, instead of just the latest? In all honesty, even if it was as simple as them changing the default score ticker and logos to ANYTHING other than the EA ones, I'd go buy this game this weekend. I'm not hard to please. I can get custom music and pretend that I tuned in late and missed the pregame summary because my kid was watching SpongeBob or something. I'd be happier than a midget at a miniskirt convention if this one thing was changed for those of us still on last gen. That's just my opinion.

# 58 ether @ 09/11/14 11:17 AM
In Canada...I was just looking at it in online stores yesterday. I didn't buy '14 because it looked too much like '13 and I was sick of the fact that once you started a season mode you lost a lot of control over being able to edit players or add new ones to that season.
Watching the videos, '15 doesn't look much different than '13, let alone '14. And now I see they want $70 for the game. I remember paying $60, so they want more money now for essentially the same thing?

# 59 foe84 @ 09/11/14 01:30 PM
how is the commentary on the last gen vs current gen? hard to tell if there is a difference...i did imagine emerick commentary to be more lively but idk.

i do wish they put the nbc presentation stuff on it.

« Previous 123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.