Home
NHL 15 News Post

Have NHL 15
? Want to know what others think of the game before you give it a buy? This is the place for you.

Once you've played the game, post your impressions here. If you have questions about the game, please post them in the Q&A thread. This thread is for impressions only.

What do you think of NHL 15 so far?

Game: NHL 15Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 16 - View All
NHL 15 Videos
Member Comments
# 501 DJ @ 01/01/15 07:16 PM
Signed out of PSN and disconnected my wireless connection and the game played just fine.

I really like the opening to the game you are about to play. Gives the game an authentic feel. The crowd sounds better.

As for gameplay, not a huge difference from the PS3/360, but I do think skating is improved as well as the physics (still could be refined). Hard to tell from one game, but the CPU seems to play with a little more variety than the previous generation.

# 502 half-fast @ 01/01/15 11:31 PM
Considering what Ive been playing in FIFA 15, NHL 15 is way behind in terms of reality. Lots of dumb looking animations still, especially the goalies. Can still score from the same spots on the ice ... nothing has really changed unfortunately.

The game looks amazing, and at times the gameplay looks great too, but it always gets ruined by the many stupid animations and gameplay glitches.

NHL still has the problem after all these years of one timers and certain plays in the slot happening so fast you cant even see whats going on ... stick shooting animation, goalie trying the save and puck are all WAY too fast. No slider fixes it properly either.

This game needs to catch up to 2015 fast for the next iteration. In FIFA you have feet getting in the way of running and shots ... in NHL sticks go through sticks and legs while retaining the puck.

They are dead wrong when they say it's not a fun mechanic to have the stick get stuck on other sticks and legs - theyre just not creating it properly. The reality gets absolutely killed when I skate through the slot and my stick goes through two other sticks and maybe a pair of legs and I still have the puck - looks disgusting.

We need more control of the stick, and skating needs to be harder. Full manual passes(proper charged up passes like FIFA so you dont send a rocket pass at the guy 5 feet over from you), more stick control and more skating.

Im done with the handholding for the kids. We should all have to learn this game not jsut skate around with our casper-the-friendly-ghost sticks just floating through people so its easy - it should be hard, that would make good plays look amazing and feel worth it.

Kids will learn, they will spend the time playing and learn no matter how hard it is, thats what kids do best, instead EA makes it easy for them, and ruins it for us adults who want a competent hockey game.

One button dekes are also a huge no. Man they better change.

# 503 MizzouRah @ 01/02/15 01:19 AM
They definitely need to fix goalie pad/puck collisions. I've seen at least 4-5 goals now where the puck goes through a goalies pads.

# 504 longranger @ 01/04/15 10:26 PM
Just got this 4 xbox one. Anything I should do out of the box roster or slider wise

# 505 robinson @ 01/09/15 06:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by longranger
Just got this 4 xbox one. Anything I should do out of the box roster or slider wise
Theres 5 or so good slider sets on the sliders page. All much better then any defaults. Just make sure you give each one enough sample size before you throw it.

Try each tuner with each slider set, it makes a diff. We use tuner 1.01, it better for the weight of the players (so they don't feel like their floating on air).

Download the patch 1.04
Download the most recent roster available

# 506 robinson @ 01/09/15 07:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ
Signed out of PSN and disconnected my wireless connection and the game played just fine.

I really like the opening to the game you are about to play. Gives the game an authentic feel. The crowd sounds better.

As for gameplay, not a huge difference from the PS3/360, but I do think skating is improved as well as the physics (still could be refined). Hard to tell from one game, but the CPU seems to play with a little more variety than the previous generation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
Wife (love her!) bought a PS4 for me and my two sons.
We got Destiny, GTA5 and NHL15.

Due to the PSN attack, I couldn't d/l NHL until yesterday and had little time to play.

But this afternoon I got a whole game in, and so far I'm really enjoying this game.
No more warp-suction board pinning. Beautiful! I also love how after I've leveled a guy, I don't stammer and 'stick' to that player trying to get around them for the loose puck. When I finally do get around the fallen player, he's gotten up and collected the puck himself. Not in NHL 15. Sa-weet!

The gameplay feels a lot more organic and I saw a variety of goals. The CPU is also much smarter.
On one play where it had a 2-on-1, when I went over to cover the open winger, the CPU dove to the middle of the ice and went in for a half-breakaway.
In last gen, they would have stayed to the outside and attempted a pass. In this scenario, Kane went right to the slot and got off a great shot.

Speaking of Kane, he received a nice pass, drove to the net and fired one past Lehtonen low blocker-side.
I made a conscience effort to see if all the CPU players could do the same, but no they couldn't. Guys like Shaw, Bickell and Richards had similar chances and were easily thwarted. The only other player that was able to score from a similar distance was Sharp.
So I was very happy to see that snipers snipe and playmakers thread passes.

The only thing I saw that concerned me was that it appeared players were forced to stop when taking a lead pass in the offensive zone.
Multiple times, I saw guys going to the net with a head of steam, but were forced to stop dead in order to receive a pass.
And in some of these cases, the passes were coming from elite players like Spezza, Hemsky or Daley.

I didn't see it very often, but often enough for me to notice.
Maybe it's my slider settings? Not sure.

I'm going to fire up a GM mode soon and get right into a season with the Jackets.
May start a HUT team too.

So far, loving the NHL15. Definitely feels like 2K2 (as suggested by an early preview I read in September).
If you guys havnt tried any calibrated slider sets. Try these they make the gameplay better then defaults. There are about 5 or so good slider sets on the slider page.

# 507 TerryP @ 01/09/15 08:47 AM
Haven't tried anyone's slider set yet, but have adjusted the hitting power sliders to zero, yet I'm still getting pulverized way too frequently by the cpu, at least compared to '14. Any suggestions?

# 508 longranger @ 01/09/15 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinson
Theres 5 or so good slider sets on the sliders page. All much better then any defaults. Just make sure you give each one enough sample size before you throw it.

Try each tuner with each slider set, it makes a diff. We use tuner 1.01, it better for the weight of the players (so they don't feel like their floating on air).

Download the patch 1.04
Download the most recent roster available
i got the patch and roster. Which slider and stuff would you recommend? I'm not very good at this game at all.

# 509 robinson @ 01/09/15 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryP
Haven't tried anyone's slider set yet, but have adjusted the hitting power sliders to zero, yet I'm still getting pulverized way too frequently by the cpu, at least compared to '14. Any suggestions?
Quote:
i got the patch and roster. Which slider and stuff would you recommend? I'm not very good at this game at all.
That's why its better to use one of the calibrated slider sets. (certain sliders inter-react with others)(its not always black and white)

Start on the easiest level (rookie), then go up a level as you get better. I would use mine (regulation sliders)(link below) for 10 games, then try some others to compare. It doesn't matter what sliders you use, because each level (rookie, pro, all, super) have hidden preset sliders that no one can adjust. So its better to use the custom/finetuned sliders sets, and just go up a level when needed. This way you get the better gameplay and your current level.

It would help understand the sliders by reading all the posts (theres only 5 pages so wont take long). I worked with Mickey and northman (and Cycloniac some) on sliders for mths. We all have good sets and there a cople other good ones too. Just make sure you give each one a good 10 games to get used to the speed and style of each slider set (its easy for people to see/think its good/notgood too fast, when actually its better). Maybe do 5min periods when trying the diff slider sets, then go to 10min/whatever once you get one you like.

# 510 robinson @ 01/09/15 03:46 PM
Quote:
Before you start your gm/season mode, make sure you have current trades in since roster update date. On the main page, there is a roster area, do the rosters there and they will automatically save as the 'current custom' roster. Which ever 'custom' roster you have the green check on is the one that will be used the gm/season mode.

Another thing to do is if your playing the gm mode (because theres no season mode) for one season at a time (not a 20yr gm mode thing) go through all the free agents 75 and above and player/movement all of them to the 'country' teams, so during the season mode the cpu doesn't claim these players (because their not on those teams).

# 511 robinson @ 01/09/15 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryP
That's the main reason why we use
tuner 1.01
gamespeed at 0 or 1
accel at 0
attributes at 6
hitting at 0

By having gamespeed at 0 or 1 and a lower acceleration, this helps the tackling (when the overall speed is too fast, the players fall over each other like dominos).

Youll get a fast pace (not the overall speed), once you've played enough games/sample size to get used to the speed. If you press when you skate you wont go as fast, less is more.

# 512 robinson @ 01/09/15 04:00 PM
Choose between arcade, simulation and hardcore first, then adjust sliders. Otherwise they not save right. Also double check sliders after you set them because they do houdinis sometimes.

arcade-most loose/loose feel/higher scores/faster speeds
simulation-more loose/loose feel
hardcore-more tight/not to fast

tuner 1.00-tight,laggy
tuner 1.01-better skating turns, feel weight of the players
tuner 1.02-loose, faster, players feel like their floating on thin air
(tuner 1.02 is latest)

Hardcore is preferred by more and if you use tuner 1.01 and attributes at 6, youll get the loose feel/pucks with it. Better combo.

# 513 DesertDogs98 @ 01/20/15 10:07 PM
Great game. Miss the EASHL, and Career Mode is pretty stripped down, but other than that the game is pretty good. Oh, and I wish that you could edit player attributes. But other than that this game has been great.

# 514 BL8001 @ 01/24/15 10:35 PM
Is nhl online and hut down for anyone else?

Xbox one and cannot get on.

Fifa, nba live and madden all connect so its just nhl being difficult to connect.

# 515 MizzouRah @ 01/28/15 08:22 PM
The puck physics are just fantastic. Even after many games.. I still see different puck physics. Last night I shot the puck off the top bar, then on to the top of the net, then back onto the ice. It was neat watching the replay over and over.

# 516 csamuelsvt @ 01/30/15 10:32 AM
Did one of the updates tune the loudness/sound of the goal horns? Just wondering if anyone else noticed this?
I have clips saved on my PS4 from when the game first came out up until a game last week and the horns are much louder from months ago to now...just wondering if anyone else noticed?

# 517 AUChase @ 02/02/15 01:11 AM
Game is on sale for $23 on PSN with the EA sale going on.

With a few dollars in my wallet all ready, pulled the trigger for $20.

I wanted it originally, but the lack of game modes was a bit of a concern.

I wish I didn't all ready own FIFA 15.. it's on there for $30.

# 518 Gotmilkman24 @ 02/12/15 02:18 PM
I wish NHL 16 was here.. We need EASHL for next gen.

# 519 THESHAMISASHAME @ 02/23/15 04:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
The puck physics are just fantastic. Even after many games.. I still see different puck physics. Last night I shot the puck off the top bar, then on to the top of the net, then back onto the ice. It was neat watching the replay over and over.
Was enjoying Hockey day in America yesterday so I tried to pick this up late last night but Target was out so I took it as it wasnt meant to be

But Ill try another Target Monday and if its out then then Ill take it as a hint

So Miz you still enjoying near default ? Tc and hope you been well !

# 520 MizzouRah @ 02/23/15 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by THESHAMISASHAME
Was enjoying Hockey day in America yesterday so I tried to pick this up late last night but Target was out so I took it as it wasnt meant to be

But Ill try another Target Monday and if its out then then Ill take it as a hint

So Miz you still enjoying near default ? Tc and hope you been well !
Pretty much.. yes..

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.