Home
NHL 15 News Post

Have NHL 15
? Want to know what others think of the game before you give it a buy? This is the place for you.

Once you've played the game, post your impressions here. If you have questions about the game, please post them in the Q&A thread. This thread is for impressions only.

What do you think of NHL 15 so far?

Game: NHL 15Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 16 - View All
NHL 15 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 Clarityman @ 09/09/14 06:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellkasey
This is the best NHL game ever made.....in terms of gameplay, visuals, graphics, physics, presentation, etc...

It's unfortunate that the lack of modes and all the stuff that was cut out from the game is stealing all the headlines. (Rightfully so)

When the controller is in your hands and you are playing a game, it's truly awesome. If this is the backbone or foundation that all other EA NHL games will be based upon, this will continue to be in contention for Sports Game of the Year going forward (once the game is made whole again). It sucks that this year the game is missing so much but in 1 year from now, when everything is back in the game, we'll be thrilled. It's just a shame that all the "extras" from nhl 14 were left out. That's the only thing keeping this years version from getting 9/10 and 10/10 reviews from all over the internet. All the great work done on the actual gameplay and whatnot is going to be overlooked this year because of what was stripped.

I typically play OTP and EASHL almost exclusively and I always enjoyed my own custom camera. (All things missing from the game). So while these omissions have me extremely annoyed and disappointed, I can't deny how awesome the gameplay is.
Is it really? Playing on Superstar Hardcore, the AI only managed 2 shots against me in a full 3 period game.

Online though is beautiful. Competitive. Actually plays like real hockey, finally.

# 62 bscbears99 @ 09/09/14 08:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbineseaplane
It's not amazing at all - The gameplay only matters to most people if the modes are there for people to *use* the game with.

Gameplay and presentation are only 1/2 the enchilada
So his opinion is wrong??? This is getting to be comical. I understand people are upset with things left out. But if he, or anyone else, thinks its "amazing" I think he has the right to say it without being told he is wrong. So many are so angry that certain things are left out they are missing out on a pretty good game of hockey.

# 63 franch1se @ 09/09/14 08:09 PM
One thing that is bugging me is goalie stats do not show up during GM play. I'm in game 5 now of my Be a GM and in the intros it shows Quick and Elliot are both 0-0-0 with 0.00 GAA and 0 Shut outs

Edit - My next game is showing stats...maybe its hit or miss?

# 64 RD_Helmut @ 09/09/14 08:18 PM
I agree with most of the negative posts here. While the gameplan seems realistic, which I like. I also liked last years game play. At the end of the day, who gives a **** how the gameplay is if Im sitting and playing with myself. I want to play online GM connected with buddies.

Let me summarize what I have just witnessed with the game today.

Modes/Features

No GM Connected

No Online Team Play (when this is patched into the game later this year, it will use real NHL players and teams)

No tournaments or Battle for the Cup
No season mode (you can only play seasons in Be A GM, which is limited to NHL teams)

No custom music support - this was an awesome feature

Cannot customize each team's AI

No create-a-team

No way to edit individual players

Gameplay

No custom camera option

No Top 3 Stars at the end of games.

Be A GM

Yearly draft is fully automated by the CPU

Cannot play the AHL games for your chosen franchise

Players sent down to the minors do not accumulate any season stats

No fantasy draft option

Do I need to say anything else? I will be selling the game I just bought today on Ebay and this series has lost me as a fan and buyer. It went from my favorite game (didnt even play madden last year cause of NHL), to buying the XBox One just to play NHL15, to being angry, pissed off and never wanting to support this series. Great Job EA team. **** you! I am also going to short the EA stock after what I just saw. They obviously have a lack of resources to be able to bring a successful series to a new generation console.

# 65 wolfcola @ 09/09/14 08:38 PM
how do you cut players in Be A GM? am I just a huge idiot cause it seems to be hiding from me

# 66 bad_philanthropy @ 09/09/14 08:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfcola
how do you cut players in Be A GM? am I just a huge idiot cause it seems to be hiding from me
There is no cutting players in the NHL. Contracts are guaranteed.

# 67 russ99 @ 09/09/14 08:42 PM
It really sucks that they left so much out, but it plays a mean game of hockey. Guess that's the only saving grace.

Hopefully they add all that stuff in soon...

# 68 russ99 @ 09/09/14 08:48 PM
Also, I find it hard to believe with all the power of a next gen system, that it's even remotely possible to have such a laggy, frustrating UI like this. Took me 10 minutes to edit the Oilers lines.

# 69 THESHAMISASHAME @ 09/09/14 08:50 PM
As I posted last night in the other thread as there was no Impressions thread up yet ? QB whats up with that ?

I give the gameplay a 10 out of 10 Stars as game play is simple amazing so many little things that are also interactive and just not forced like other sports games ( cough cough MLBTS) .

I dont care what anyone says but if you want or expect a straight cpu sim or something forced like the show go play a cpu based game or strat o matic hockey as those are great sims with no hu interaction other than rolling dice .

There are just so many ways to play this game and yes finding your slider blend isnt easy and EA still doesnt have in game slider saves so keep your pen and paper handy but thankfully I find AlTitos sliders a great base to build upon and once you find your zone get ready for a great game of hockey and by far the BEST EVER !

So once again to those who constantly complain about gameplay you can make this game as easy or as hard as you want and if your gonna analyse each and every little thing or stat trying to paint some unrealistic picture in your head why even play the game ? As its very sim and fun too !

Obviously I can comment on the modes but having a Playoff Mode being added soon is all I play and Im ecstatic and the all new 3 stars are back too !

Visually the game is almost as good as Madden but depending on your TV you might have to tweak it a tad as Im on the PS4 and I had to lighten it up a bit .
I like the foundation EA NHL has laid and hopefully the build upon it but Im disappointed they seemed to cut and paste many things to the ps4 but just with a different overlay which isnt a bad thing thing as gameplay is so good but once again still no in game slider saves and also when you start a GM mode you have to redo all your in game sliders which is just another chore not needed in a 2014 video game ?

The only real bug Ive seen so far is is the breakout strategies overlay that wont leave the bottom of the right corner of the screen unless you manual turn off the Hu strategy adjustment to zero .

The announcing , presentation and arena atmosphere are all pretty solid and the horns sound great to so once again I hope EA NHL builds upon this and just dont leave it be for the next 3 years .

EA made a huge mistake by not disclosing the lack of modes issue with this game and shouldve just came clean a while back and not just after they knew they were in trouble as it comes off as being very deceptive and they could have avoided this major PR mess .

But that being said this game is everything I hoped for and hopefully they can build upon it because its a great game they make with very little man power and a tiny budget .

# 70 russ99 @ 09/09/14 08:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
There is no cutting players in the NHL. Contracts are guaranteed.
If they have a 1-way contract, you can send them down to the minors and hope somebody picks them up on waivers. You can also trade them or bury them in the minors. It's not like we're playing AHL games at this point.

# 71 onac22 @ 09/09/14 08:56 PM
Just put a claim i for my money back. Played four games offline four games online. It is the same game wait for the price drop and tuners. I repeat do not buy this game at full price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 72 MizzouRah @ 09/09/14 09:14 PM
I love the game play.. that's mostly all that matters to me - I'm a bit ticked at the new cameras as I have to play on "classic" still and BeaGM should be what it is on the 360, but on the ice, the game is fantastic on hardcore mode.

# 73 Gagnon39 @ 09/09/14 09:22 PM
Played my first game just now. I really liked it.

I played it on 20 minute period just so I could play as long as possible and much to my surprise, the stats were not THAT off for literally a 20 minute period game. Here's a link to my box score. I'll post some more detailed impressions in a bit. I did tweak some sliders to make as many loose pucks as possible.

http://www.dynastynation.operationsp...gnon&sport=nhl

# 74 Arrowhead21 @ 09/09/14 09:22 PM
Hardcore isn't even a true hardcore anymore. Manual passing is extinct when using R2/RT. Only saucer passes are truly manual. The passes along the ice are all assisted in both accuracy and power; even when you empty the pass accuracy and pass assist sliders.

Has anyone else got one of those CE errors while playing this yet

# 75 brandon27 @ 09/09/14 09:38 PM
I actually was torn, I wasn't going to buy this just yet, but I did anyways today because most of the missing stuff wont affect me, and I had fun with the early access.

I played 2 games after playing Destiny the rest of the night, and I really enjoyed it. As with previous NHL's, finding your own sweet spot with the sliders is key. There's still at least one or two instances per game of what I call the invincible AI, which really bothers me when it happens. It's as if you can only just sit back, put the controller down, and let them have their way with you until they bury it in your net.

Personally, I feel like it can't be true, but it really does look better visually. Far better from the demo, and I feel it's even a bit better than the Access version, although I'm sure that can't be the case.

Either way, playing the game was fun to me. I enjoyed it. It's not true sim, likely never will be. No game will be. But it plays a fun game of hockey.

Those are my early thoughts anyways.

# 76 kehlis @ 09/09/14 09:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bscbears99
So his opinion is wrong??? This is getting to be comical. I understand people are upset with things left out. But if he, or anyone else, thinks its "amazing" I think he has the right to say it without being told he is wrong. So many are so angry that certain things are left out they are missing out on a pretty good game of hockey.
Not sure how the post you quoted is any less of an impression than the one he quoted.

If he feels it isn't amazing does he not have the right to voice that opinion much in the same sense than those that think it is great do?

# 77 Toews2Kane @ 09/09/14 09:57 PM
I am happy with the overall gameplay although I could see there being a problem with skating across the crease goal exploits. Passing and shot speed should be toned down a bit

HUT: It takes FOREVER to do anything. To take a player out of your lineup you have to click the player, remove him from lineup, and then search for someone else who isn't in your lineup that you want in there. Really miss have a "bench" and easily swapping them around. It is also very time consuming to swap players around your lines. I've played HUT since its inception and know how to get around and it is frustrating to try and edit lines. The HUT marketplace is awful as well. Figuring out whether you won a bid is difficult and placing a bid also takes too long. By the time you find a player you want to bid on it updates the players and you have to hunt him down again.

***I've also had MAJOR issues with HUT freezing up at the end of the first intermission or if someone pauses the game. It never unfreezes and someone is forced to quit

# 78 medic2119 @ 09/09/14 10:28 PM
Hey Guys, are you able to create-a-player in the ps4 version and play them in the GM career mode?? also are you able to edit existing players? thanks..

# 79 MizzouRah @ 09/09/14 10:36 PM
Just beat Winnipeg 6-4 but the game play was great. Loose pucks, a fight and a couple of penalties (still needs to be more). Just feels like anything can happen. Looks like it's going to be a bit high on the scoring side.. at least without a tuner update.

# 80 ericromain @ 09/09/14 10:37 PM
I played 8 games of HUT on PS4 tonight.
The first game was incredible. I really like the grittiness and looseness of the puck this year, the passes zip harder but things like the angle of the pass recipients stick seem to matter a lot, so it's not like it's a cross crease one-timer fest. It feels great!

Dump and chase and cycling the puck are fun tactics. I'm having trouble burying opponents even if i'm much better, though i've had a couple decent breakaway deke goals. It's all fun though, I only have a couple NHLers on my roster.

There are things i like and dislke about the new HUT interface. It's quicker to bounce through lines, but it's less intuitive and harder to swap players. I bet i'll get used to it soon enough.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.