Home
NHL 15 News Post

Have NHL 15
? Want to know what others think of the game before you give it a buy? This is the place for you.

Once you've played the game, post your impressions here. If you have questions about the game, please post them in the Q&A thread. This thread is for impressions only.

What do you think of NHL 15 so far?

Game: NHL 15Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 16 - View All
NHL 15 Videos
Member Comments
# 141 emiles76 @ 09/10/14 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daenius
I played 2 games and I already regret purchasing this for full price...

Somehow the full game plays so much worse than the demo.

Started on all-star, got hammered 6-0; moved down to pro, quit after 2 periods and being down 5-1.

It's even worse than 13 and 14 with the CPU being completely overpowered.

Aside from the fact that EVERY team just feeds the slot and scores on laser one-timers from close range (there's absolutely no style difference in how teams play) and CPU goalies, no matter how shaky they are in real life, all seem to be otherworldly good; the thing that still enrages me the most is skating.
I've NEVER seen anyone skate like the CPU does in this game and it's been an issue for the past 2-3 years. Whenever I've got them lined up for a hit hey just seem to be able to stop on a dime and turn in whatever direction they want, momentum doesn't seem to play a role, it's just stop - do a 180 - turn left - turn right and I'm not able to make any play.
Good, I'm glad to see someone else is having this problem as well. While I haven't quite had that extreme margin of defeat, it does seem as if the CPU scores on one-timers with extreme regularity and the defensive and goalie A/I for user team isn't able to keep up. It seems like 90% of the time if the CPU goes for a one-timer, its in the back of the net. Are any of you other guys having this problem?

# 142 Hockeynut99 @ 09/10/14 12:35 PM
I love the action cam.

# 143 Drakar @ 09/10/14 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by emiles76
Good, I'm glad to see someone else is having this problem as well. While I haven't quite had that extreme margin of defeat, it does seem as if the CPU scores on one-timers with extreme regularity and the defensive and goalie A/I for user team isn't able to keep up. It seems like 90% of the time if the CPU goes for a one-timer, its in the back of the net. Are any of you other guys having this problem?
Yes, You need to tweak the slider to increase pass interception by human. You have to really stay in the passing lane and hope for the best. If your defenseman pursue the puck carrier behind the net, you are royally screwed. They will bind pass at the speed of light for an laser one-timer. Also I notice that goalie screening is way too effective. You will try to be in the shot lane to block the shot and you will screen your goalie from very very far away.

# 144 Hockeynut99 @ 09/10/14 12:41 PM
Mistakes end up in the back of the net this year. I have to really watch my play in my own end. Also love how the puck bounces and the studs are actually studs now in my opinion. Really love how the ice looks and feels like ice too. Bum that you can't add music to the game on ps4 or that the sweaters don't seem to be tucked in for some players.

# 145 phillyfan23 @ 09/10/14 12:43 PM
for people reporting "god mode" , do you see in beagm or play now?.my experience in past years, the cpu exhibits no.comeback AI in play now, but do in franchise mode.

cpu difficulty adjustment slider should also be 0

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

# 146 MizzouRah @ 09/10/14 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
That's correct.

I started a Be A GM without having the day one patch/update. There was no option to change jersey numbers or captancies. I then updated it and loaded the same Be A GM from before and the options were there. That is indeed promising.
Awesome, thanks! What did you have to do to update it? I thought it auto-updates on its own?

# 147 adayinthelife @ 09/10/14 01:52 PM
Quote:
That's correct.

I started a Be A GM without having the day one patch/update. There was no option to change jersey numbers or captancies. I then updated it and loaded the same Be A GM from before and the options were there. That is indeed promising.
So the 1.01 (or whatever) patch, the 1.4 gb one added these "features", but doesn't mention it anywhere? This release get weirder and weirder by the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeynut99
Mistakes end up in the back of the net this year. I have to really watch my play in my own end. Also love how the puck bounces and the studs are actually studs now in my opinion. Really love how the ice looks and feels like ice too. Bum that you can't add music to the game on ps4 or that the sweaters don't seem to be tucked in for some players.
Jersey tucking is now illegal in the NHL as of last season. Seriously, it only sounds like a joke.

# 148 MizzouRah @ 09/10/14 01:55 PM
Speaking of pucks flying out.. I saw one last night off of a goalies stick on a hard slapper.

I just think the game play is different than 13 or 14.. can't quite put it all to words yet, but I'm so used to 13 and 14 - that skating and hitting has taken me some time to get used to with 15 on next gen.

On hardcore, the CPU will skate around you if you try for the hit. Once I became patient and played myself into the lanes, I started playing much better defense. There are some similarities, but there are also quite a bit of differences.

# 149 Gagnon39 @ 09/10/14 02:49 PM
For anyone complaining about comeback, god mode, etc. Let me just put it to rest. I've played the EA hockey games long enough to know what's happening.

There is no comeback AI. However, the CPU changes their strategies and goes crazy forechecking if they're down late in the game. I had a 2-0 lead against the Sabres last night going into the third period. They scored two and sent it to overtime, where I lost. The only thing that's unrealistic is how effective their crazy, all-out forecheck it. Call it comeback code if you want, but it's not. It's a change in strategy.

So, the solution? If you turn CPU strategy adjustments all the way down, the CPU will no longer make in-game adjustments. So they'll play the game the same way the entire game. This will fix the "problem." Period.

Now, the way it SHOULD work is that the CPU takes major risks playing like this. They should pay often with odd-man rushes the other way and become fatigued faster when going into all-out-attack mode. But they don't. That's why it seems like the CPU cheats from time to time.

# 150 Gagnon39 @ 09/10/14 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adayinthelife
So the 1.01 (or whatever) patch, the 1.4 gb one added these "features", but doesn't mention it anywhere? This release get weirder and weirder by the day.

Jersey tucking is now illegal in the NHL as of last season. Seriously, it only sounds like a joke.
This is correct. I can confirm this as I experienced it last night.

# 151 Drakar @ 09/10/14 02:52 PM
Quote:
For anyone complaining about comeback, god mode, etc. Let me just put it to rest. I've played the EA hockey games long enough to know what's happening.

There is no comeback AI. However, the CPU changes their strategies and goes crazy forechecking if they're down late in the game. I had a 2-0 lead against the Sabres last night going into the third period. They scored two and sent it to overtime, where I lost. The only thing that's unrealistic is how effective their crazy, all-out forecheck it. Call it comeback code if you want, but it's not. It's a change in strategy.

So, the solution? If you turn CPU strategy adjustments all the way down, the CPU will no longer make in-game adjustments. So they'll play the game the same way the entire game. This will fix the "problem." Period.

Now, the way it SHOULD work is that the CPU takes major risks playing like this. They should pay often with odd-man rushes the other way and become fatigued faster when going into all-out-attack mode. But they don't. That's why it seems like the CPU cheats from time to time.
This is exactly what is going on. This feel a lot like CPU comeback but I know its the strategy change that create way too much momentum. It does happen in the NHL from time to time but this is happening every single game that you take 1 goal or two lead.

# 152 Gagnon39 @ 09/10/14 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakar
This is exactly what is going on. This feel a lot like CPU comeback but I know its the strategy change that create way too much momentum. It does happen in the NHL from time to time but this is happening every single game that you take 1 goal or two lead.
The answer is to counter their strategy. What I usually do, which might sound crazy, is I go into a full breakout attack. Meaning as soon as I get the puck in my defensive zone my wingers are flying up the ice. I look to connect with them on long, saucer passes for breakaways and odd-man rushes. I used to do this all the time on NHL 10-14. I'm not sure if it works yet on NHL 15 because I haven't figured out all the strategies and how to change them all. But I'm guessing it will. It was especially effective for me with players like Patrick Kane. So basically the CPU was paying for playing such an aggressive game. It definitely did not work all the time, but there were some games where I was winning 3-1 in the third and the game ended up being 5-2 because of this.

Others may use more defensive strategies but I always liked to counter aggression with aggression. The other team can't score if you have the puck in their end.

# 153 medic2119 @ 09/10/14 03:11 PM
CAN SOMEONE PLZ TELL ME IF U CAN CREATE A PLAYER FOR THE PS4 VERSION??? AND CAN U PLAY W IT IN BE A GM MODE?? THX!

# 154 wolfcola @ 09/10/14 03:20 PM
is anyone else having an issue with the period length in BAP? it keeps reverting to 20 minutes after every game and I have to keep changing it (all my other settings save)

# 155 Qb @ 09/10/14 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakar
You had some good point Qb but its not always the case. I think its might be due to momentum shift. The A.I goes into this "God mode" from time to time and put an enormous amount of pressure on you. Why doesn't my CPU teammate are not doing the same thing in offensive zone ? They just watch the puck go in the corner and retreat. Even with strategy set to aggressive.

I don't mind dealing with pressure but the pass assist is really killing my chance of using the board to free up the zone. That's has been the most glaring issue with the game. Stop assisting me and I'll be happy.
Cranking the forecheck up to full while using 1-2-2 aggressive or weakside lock makes my teammates buzz around the opponents zone. I wish the strategy controls were easier to manipulate during play -- or better yet, compatible with voice commands -- because they really do make a difference when used appropriately.

Something else to consider is lowering game speed. The last game I played I dropped it from 3 to 2 and I felt more comfortable with the pace of play. It's kind of like pitch speed in MLB The Show... too fast and you feel overmatched, but you can go from floundering at the plate to feeling comfortable with a simple adjustment (and swallowing some pride).

The increased assist is frustrating. The alternative is to use the fully manual saucer pass. It's almost second nature to me after years of playing OTP with the default pass assist. It takes some practice and you'll misfire at times, but it can be a real weapon.

You can also shoot the puck out of the zone if you're under pressure and just want to clear. If you time and aim it right, you'll get a nice smooth animation to ring the puck around the boards. With the new puck physics, it will often jump the stick of the defender at the point which can create some interesting situations, especially if you have your forwards set to leave the zone early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
I just think the game play is different than 13 or 14.. can't quite put it all to words yet, but I'm so used to 13 and 14 - that skating and hitting has taken me some time to get used to with 15 on next gen.

On hardcore, the CPU will skate around you if you try for the hit. Once I became patient and played myself into the lanes, I started playing much better defense. There are some similarities, but there are also quite a bit of differences.
It'd be easier to play this style of defense with directional player switching aimed with the L-stick. There are many times I want to be able to switch to someone other than the man closest to the puck. The CPU loves to hit the trailer around the faceoff dot when you force them wide towards the corner. Unfortunately, the 3rd man back is often a little slow to pick him up and by the time I'm switched, he has the puck in a dangerous position.

# 156 medic2119 @ 09/10/14 03:28 PM
So no one knows??????

# 157 Qb @ 09/10/14 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by medic2119
CAN SOMEONE PLZ TELL ME IF U CAN CREATE A PLAYER FOR THE PS4 VERSION??? AND CAN U PLAY W IT IN BE A GM MODE?? THX!
Yes, you can create a player and then move him to a team's roster for use in Be A GM.

Please don't post in all caps and texting-style, both are discouraged here. And we have a stickied Q&A thread if you have other questions. That's why no one answered you in here.

# 158 medic2119 @ 09/10/14 03:31 PM
ya my bad man..just been sittin here not wantin to open the game yet..plus new too this, appreciate the answer now I can plaaayy!!

# 159 Gerg04 @ 09/10/14 03:49 PM
Short side goals are scored wayyyy too easily online, a la 13' and 14'. Hopefully this gets addressed

# 160 Hockeynut99 @ 09/10/14 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adayinthelife

No way! That is too damn funny. Because I just acted like that is the reason in my game lol same with the goalies having generic helmets. lol. Thanks had no idea they did that.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.