Home
NBA 2K15 News Post

NLSC has posted episode 95 of their podcast, this week features the return of Leftos to the show with a goldmine of information! In depth info on MyGM and MyLEAGUE as well as insights on what it's been like to work on the NBA 2K development team.

Some key points within the podcast include:
  • New pro scouting feature.
  • How the progression system has been changed.
  • A new in-season training system in MyGM and MyLEAGUE.
  • No more CPU Position Stacking.
  • Storylines for draft picks in MyLEAGUE and MyGM.
  • A number of legacy issues related to free agency fixed.
Official Description text: "Leftos was also able to give us a great deal of information on MyGM and MyLEAGUE in NBA 2K15, expanding on some recent blogs and interviews, and letting us know about a few things that haven’t been talked about too much. In addition to explaining the basic features and differences between the two modes, Leftos gives us some in-depth insight into player progression and regression, the injury system, customisation options, and much, much more."

The podcast is a weighty 2.5 hour listen, but it's definitely worth it if you want in-depth info on this year's game.

Listen to the podcast at the NLSC.

Game: NBA 2K15Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 64 - View All
NBA 2K15 Videos
Member Comments
# 141 jpshua15 @ 09/22/14 09:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUSS11
Hey Leftos, just wondering if you can answer these, please.
I second this, always wanted to see sixth men integrated

# 142 Leftos @ 09/22/14 10:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUSS11
Hey Leftos, just wondering if you can answer these, please.
On the Ginobili thing, I'm going to be honest with you guys. It's really hard to model something like that in a generic enough manner (given the very small sample size of this in the league) so that it works for any given situation and doesn't apply to situations that it shouldn't. Essentially, either it would be a complete hack, or it would be something that would need to figure out which players are the Ginobilis of the league playing for the Popovichs of the league and adjust the rotation accordingly, but have the players start under a different coach, etc.

Some ideas have already come up for how to finally handle this moving forward and discern those players and coaches, but I can't promise anything for 2K15.

I really wish I could give you something better, but this is the situation and I'd rather be honest. I'm all open to ideas and suggestions, but remember, they need to represent something that can work in a generic manner, with any roster.

As for generated players, we have improved various aspects of the generation, and if you still see too many accessories, let me know. As to animations, why are you hating on someone trying to imitate a legendary jump shot? :P

# 143 Taer @ 09/22/14 11:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftos
... I really wish I could give you something better, but this is the situation and I'd rather be honest. I'm all open to ideas and suggestions, but remember, they need to represent something that can work in a generic manner, with any roster.
I may not understand something because I am an outsider but there could be two different approaches taken to model the Spurs rotational situation better. Both require the creation of internal ai-only scripts/mechanics and flags to be used within the rotational and strategy systems.

The first thing I'd like to suggest is to create flags that denote "key" players for the ai to use in those situations that warrant it. This way, key situations may be custom-defined for each franchise and these type of players can be used by the ai in more "realistic" situations needed.

Edit: An example of this type of flag could be: "Aging Star" where relating to the preference of playing veterans off the bench, any ai coach would see this player as a "key" type of player to come off the bench in preference to "rookies" whom this particular coach would like to leave on the bench in any situation other than "garbage time".

In this way two catagories of players could be created generically and their roles would be simular across the league and those franchises utilizing particular strategies would value these types more than others.

The second thing I'd like to suggest is to perhaps define "coaching philosophies" specifically focusing on issues related to those "keys" listed above. Generic categories can include "time distribution" and "reliance on preferred bench depth" I see some of this year being done (as you've shared with us already) but I don't see this concept being applied to the "evolving cutting-edge theory" that different coaching regimes are using to try to change the game outside of general norms.

An extreme example would be Kidd trying to take a 6'11" PF player and turning him into a PG. This would be something unique to the Bucks this year but other specifics could include the now more accepted and standard small-ball approach as an easily recalled example.

# 144 UravenzownU @ 09/23/14 12:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
This is actually a great suggestion. One of things that gives the User such a huge advantage over the CPU is that User can keep undisciplined players from making so many poor decisions, and therefore make them so much more effective than they are in real life.

Exactly, I've been hoping more people would notice this, its why the Rudy Gay's JR's,Westbrooks's, Javale's, Gerald Green's of the world are unstoppable on 2k, since the user is controlling them the user eliminates all the bad decisions and bonehead moves these players thus making all these players who have all the talent in the world (but can't make it in real life) superstars in 2k

# 145 CookNBA03 @ 09/23/14 12:25 AM
Quote:
On the Ginobili thing, I'm going to be honest with you guys. It's really hard to model something like that in a generic enough manner (given the very small sample size of this in the league) so that it works for any given situation and doesn't apply to situations that it shouldn't. Essentially, either it would be a complete hack, or it would be something that would need to figure out which players are the Ginobilis of the league playing for the Popovichs of the league and adjust the rotation accordingly, but have the players start under a different coach, etc.

Some ideas have already come up for how to finally handle this moving forward and discern those players and coaches, but I can't promise anything for 2K15.

I really wish I could give you something better, but this is the situation and I'd rather be honest. I'm all open to ideas and suggestions, but remember, they need to represent something that can work in a generic manner, with any roster.

As for generated players, we have improved various aspects of the generation, and if you still see too many accessories, let me know. As to animations, why are you hating on someone trying to imitate a legendary jump shot? :P
Leftos, I wanted to ask about free agency in MyLeague/MyGM. Will we see teams clear cap space to chase stars/superstars(Houston)? When will we start seeing players recruiting for the team and will twitter ever play a role in a franchise mode? I could see social media playing a role in MyGM. About the draft pick protection, I don't want you to feel like I was disrespecting you guys in any way but one of the devs(don't remember who) said they did their best to predict each team's season and assign the draft picks, that "didn't believe in conditional picks" weren't my words but one of the devs.

# 146 kongemeier @ 09/23/14 06:09 AM
I must say that after finally getting through the entire interview I'm absolutely dying to get my hands on this game and get deep into MyGM/MyLeague!

As a gamer who's getting closer and closer to 40 there are big gaps between games I'm REALLY looking forward to. I think this is getting pretty close to the mode(s) I always wanted. THANK YOU LEFTOS & CREW!!!!

Actually the only feature missing from my dream mode would be the option to start as an expansion team. Sure, I have no idea how the NBA could be 31 teams, but I'm sure the creative people at 2K could draw something up.

14 days...

# 147 kmoser @ 09/23/14 08:28 AM
Does the CPU ever play zone defense? 2k15 will be my first next gen video game but I can't remember ever having to face a zone defense in last gen.

# 148 oldfruit @ 09/23/14 10:49 AM
Since you asked for ideas, I will toss in my one cent (I know less than nothing about the creation of software like this, so it's not worth a full two cents).

In my mind, there are plenty of complexities to this but you'd be darn close if you could just have coaches with heavy bench use (the slider) default to put players with Spark Plug or Microwave (not an expert in the mechanics, so I don't know which is more applicable) in as high usage sixth men.

Either way, it's actually really refreshing to have you explain your difficulty solving it. Rather than making you look bad, it attend you tons of brownie points (at least in my book).

# 149 Yeah...THAT Guy @ 09/23/14 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfruit
Since you asked for ideas, I will toss in my one cent (I know less than nothing about the creation of software like this, so it's not worth a full two cents).

In my mind, there are plenty of complexities to this but you'd be darn close if you could just have coaches with heavy bench use (the slider) default to put players with Spark Plug or Microwave (not an expert in the mechanics, so I don't know which is more applicable) in as high usage sixth men.

Either way, it's actually really refreshing to have you explain your difficulty solving it. Rather than making you look bad, it attend you tons of brownie points (at least in my book).
Yeah, this is along the lines of what I was thinking. If each coach looked for certain types of players at each position, maybe some coaches like Pop would look for "Spark Plug" for a 6th man, or an aging spark plug or something.

This could expand to other roles too. For example, one coach might look for a Stretch 4 to play PF but another team might look for a Low Post Scorer to play the PF position. That way, a team like the Bucks would target guys like Ilyasova and Jabari Parker to play PF for them, while a team like the Grizzlies would target a PF like Randolph, and then if their respective coaches leaves for another team, they'd bring their unique philosophy with them and you'd see teams change their identity over time.

I imagine this would be pretty complex to add to the game, but I don't really have experience in programming video games.

# 150 TMagic @ 09/23/14 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
No, I do that too. I will take 6 or 7 FU shots with Kobe a game, because I know it's the right(wrong) thing to do, it's in his DNA. I would imagine that a lot of us play that way, it adds such an interesting psychological and emotional component to the game. You're Role-Playing in a sports game.

Seriously.

I will get the ball to Westbrook on an inbound, dribble up the court, and take an ill advised three. Not one pass being made. Not a single thought about getting the ball to KD. Brick.

Then I take it a step further and will legit get mad at Westbrook in the process...

"OMG...****ssell....Why?"

Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

# 151 The Kid 24 @ 09/23/14 12:45 PM
Leftos... Are the ASG events in the game?

Like are we able to play 3 Point & Dunk Contest and Skills Challenge in MyLeague or MyGM?

# 152 Sundown @ 09/23/14 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMagic
Seriously.

I will get the ball to Westbrook on an inbound, dribble up the court, and take an ill advised three. Not one pass being made. Not a single thought about getting the ball to KD. Brick.

Then I take it a step further and will legit get mad at Westbrook in the process...

"OMG...****ssell....Why?"

Lol

I also did this with Jordan Crawford and Bazemore last year. Have ball, will chuck. Also would never pass out of the post with Jermain O'Neal. Terrible iso position? Bad jumper or worse post hook? JO got this.

And does anyone else drive with Klay Thompson half hoping he'll miss a Klayup and nod approvingly when he does?

# 153 dpower15 @ 09/24/14 05:30 PM
Tried quickly searching the forums and didn't seem to have any luck. Is there any word on if 3 team trades will be available in MyGM and/or MyLeague?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 154 kmoser @ 09/24/14 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpower15
Tried quickly searching the forums and didn't seem to have any luck. Is there any word on if 3 team trades will be available in MyGM and/or MyLeague?

No they are not. I remember someone confirming this a few pages back.

# 155 insideoutside15 @ 09/24/14 05:38 PM
At this point I think my only concern is whether or not the generated rookies will have terrible tattoos and if so can I remove them. In 2k14 I once passed on a future all star caliber player because he was a dopey looking white guy with a random old english letter tattooed on his neck.

# 156 dpower15 @ 09/24/14 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoser
No they are not. I remember someone confirming this a few pages back.

Dang too bad. Atleast MyLeague seems to be a great addition.

# 157 Leftos @ 09/24/14 08:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid 24
Leftos... Are the ASG events in the game?

Like are we able to play 3 Point & Dunk Contest and Skills Challenge in MyLeague or MyGM?
3 Point & Dunk Contest make a return, along with the Rising Stars and the All-Star Game.

# 158 dpower15 @ 09/24/14 09:45 PM
Quote:
3 Point & Dunk Contest make a return, along with the Rising Stars and the All-Star Game.

Nice to hear. Really appreciate all your insight and feedback Leftos.

Question for you regarding draft classes. In the past when creating your own class you could only make players birthdate so the youngest you could create was 18 yr old players. Will we be able to edit the ages of created classes either outside of any game modes or within MyLeague? That way guys who are seniors in high school this yr can be created for subsequent classes and have their correct birthdate rather than importing your 3rd yr class and having the youngest guy set with whatever the default limit yr is when creating (thus making the youngest in the class somewhere like 20-21).

# 159 Leftos @ 09/25/14 12:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunk77
Did you guys make the 3 pt and dunk contests fun this year? 2K14's were a joke.
Jokes are fun.

# 160 sdrgar @ 09/25/14 12:45 AM
I'm loving what I'm hearing. I just want to verify that the scouting and storylines for the draft are the same in MyLeague and MyGM?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.