Home
NBA 2K15 News Post

According to the PlayStation.Blog, it doesn’t look like we will see an NBA 2K15 demo this week. Demos typically release 2 weeks before the game releases to stores, which means we probably won't see one this year, for the second year in a row.

We have reached out to 2K for confirmation and will update this post when we hear back.

UPDATE: Just received confirmation, there will be no NBA 2K15 demo this year.

Game: NBA 2K15Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 64 - View All
NBA 2K15 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 kehlis @ 09/21/14 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeKing
As someone who already has purchased this game, and knows what to expect, I think this stinks. Yes, I love this game and I know I won't get disappointed, but I always like to enjoy the appetizer before I get the main course.

It's also fun to come in here and see everyone's opinions on the game, or just general banter on what they think.
The point of demo's was never to be an appetizer for those who are already going to buy the game.

In fact it's a good counter argument to a demo.

What if you pre-ordered the game and found something in the demo that completely turned you off and you canceled that pre-order?

# 42 aholbert32 @ 09/21/14 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermati
While we neither have access to those numbers, sampling is a tried and tested practice that has been known to work. If you have a solid product why not leverage and showcase it to everyone?

On the other hand, nitpickers will be nitpickers and I don't believe they belong to this discussion. They are amongst the most loyal and will buy the game regardless of a demo or a nitpicking flaw they find with a pre release video.
VG Chartz isnt the most reliable source when it comes to number but its the only one we have and they show 2k sold more than Madden.

Regarding what I bolded, why do that when it isnt likely to significantly increase sales. No demo didnt seem to matter last year...why should it this year?

I dont agree at all on your take regarding nitpickers and the effect it can have on people who are unsure about buying the game.

# 43 kehlis @ 09/21/14 01:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeKing
Can't happen...lol. Not for me. I need an NBA video game in my life. I mean at this point with their fantastic track record, NBA 2K would have to completely **** the bed, for me to cancel my purchase.

With Beluba back for a few years now and the addition of Da Czar and etc, I just don't see how that would happen.
Then why waste time and production on a demo at all?

Rhetorical questions and trust me, I get where you are coming from.

It's nice to play it early, but looking at it from their perspective it makes little sense to devote time and resources to a demo.

# 44 Vni @ 09/21/14 01:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
The point of demo's was never to be an appetizer for those who are already going to buy the game.

In fact it's a good counter argument to a demo.

What if you pre-ordered the game and found something in the demo that completely turned you off and you canceled that pre-order?
If it where only for OS I'd completely understand 2K not releasing a demo. I don't think it does them any good tbh. You also still have a small chance that some crazy, one in a billion type of bug show up (Jesus Bynum) that would really hurt the game.

But showing the game to maybe non basketball fans, or very casual basketball fans, on their HDTV, with the pad in their hand I think it could convince a lot of them to get it.

# 45 kehlis @ 09/21/14 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vni
If it where only for OS I'd completely understand 2K not releasing a demo. I don't think it does them any good tbh. You also still have a small chance that some crazy, one in a billion type of bug show up (Jesus Bynum) that would really hurt the game.

But showing the game to maybe non basketball fans, or very casual basketball fans, on their HDTV, with the pad in their hand I think it could convince a lot of them to get it.
So lets use me as an example.

Played basketball growing up through high school so I understand the sport but have zero interest in the NBA or it's video game counterpoint.

I'm the kind of person you are trying to use a demo to attract and I can tell you I would not have downloaded the demo to even try it because I have no desire to play the game.

I'm certainly not the rule, but also don't think I'm much of an exception.

# 46 Dmanning2 @ 09/21/14 01:33 PM
Can't blame em. Demos seem like a thing of the past.

# 47 lakers24 @ 09/21/14 01:38 PM
Honestly I don't see why anyone is surprised. I don't even remember the last demo I played for 2k. I think it was, 2k12... That's the one with the Mavs right? Anyways, this is what most companies will start doing. ESPECIALLY for sports games. At this point, you should know what to expect from them gameplay wise. It'll play like 2k with some improvements. Been that way for years.

Also, their demos were stripped of pretty much everything anyways and sometimes played a slight bit differently than the final build(2k10 comes to mind).

EDIT:BTW for those who want to "try before you buy" this is where renting becomes really useful. I know it isn't as convenient or w.e but at least your not buying the game and you experience the full thing instead a stripped demo.

# 48 NxckBrxdlvy @ 09/21/14 01:39 PM
I think we may start seeing demos later in this generation. Could be an issue of them getting 100% familiar with all the new tech. I know I would personally rather use that extra time to make sure everything works as perfectly as possible for launch, instead of focusing on a demo. Especially when there's not much changed gameplay wise

# 49 kehlis @ 09/21/14 01:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUSTLER_79
I want to try the gameplay before I buy this year graphics only aint gone do it for me
I felt the game last year was all smoke n mirrors after a couple months it turned unplayable ..those little things that needed programming like AI rebounding hustle plays buy cpu on loose balls the way the cpu plays against you the scriptedness in most games etc I want a taste of that if not I aint buying the full game on release day ..I wont get jerked again ..all these companies are soo good at marketing their games but the underlying truth is its about revenues and not bout consumers ..what about the servers ?? are they any better .what about the online leagues ? or should I care about a facecam or my team packages ? no concessions no demo no early buy period .good luck see the bugs and glitches thread light up round end october .peace
Can you not rent it?

# 50 lakers24 @ 09/21/14 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxckBrxdlvy
I think we may start seeing demos later in this generation. Could be an issue of them getting 100% familiar with all the new tech. I know I would personally rather use that extra time to make sure everything works as perfectly as possible for launch, instead of focusing on a demo. Especially when there's not much changed gameplay wise
^That's not the issue. These systems run on the same architecture as pc's now. This is just the way the industry is going. It's a waste of resources to make demo's for these yearly releases.

# 51 thedream2k13 @ 09/21/14 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
Not surprised as more and more companies aren't putting out demos.
Most companies know demo hurts sales . this isn't the case for 2k

# 52 JSensui @ 09/21/14 01:57 PM
You see, if you're gonna do the mystery box marketing in regards to gameplay, and at the same time not give a demo, I'm just going to avoid preordering. I'd probably wait until it was much cheaper before making a purchase.

I know not a lot of people are going to be doing that method, but that's where I'm at now personally.

# 53 Sinner @ 09/21/14 02:09 PM
Not an issue for me as I only play demos once maybe twice anyway. Already know I'm getting the game so no problem

# 54 aholbert32 @ 09/21/14 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSensui
You see, if you're gonna do the mystery box marketing in regards to gameplay, and at the same time not give a demo, I'm just going to avoid preordering. I'd probably wait until it was much cheaper before making a purchase.

I know not a lot of people are going to be doing that method, but that's where I'm at now personally.
Nah. I dont think you know "a lot" of people doing that. I'm not preordering either but that doesnt really hurt 2k's sales. Shoot, once you start seeing streams/videos/impressions of the game, you will buy the game at retail price if you like what you see.

# 55 City_foxx @ 09/21/14 02:13 PM
Well in hind site the last time there was no demo i was pretty dissapointed with the game 2k released 14' next gen.Maybe some cause for concern that the game were all buying anyway may not be as good as we hoped. Please step up ea or some third party. Competetion is good for gamers. Example COD BF franchises.

# 56 Vni @ 09/21/14 02:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by City_foxx
Example COD BF franchises.
Bad exemple as both games are going downhill in term of quality.

# 57 HowDareI @ 09/21/14 03:06 PM
Don't care if there's no demo because I'm buying regardless...but it would be nice to get my hands on (even an early build) to see the gameplay changes first hand.

At this point I'm just interested to see what changes to career and park they've made.

# 58 Inzombniac @ 09/21/14 03:10 PM
It's like not like you got a lot with the demo anyhow. It was one quarter without the ability to do a lot of things on an earlier build. In some cases (Go back to I believe either NBA 2K12 or 2K13) where IpodKingCarter said that the early build he played and the demo were pretty different from the game that was put out.

A 2K demo was never like other game demos, so I wouldn't have even based your opinion on one if it had come out> If you're on the fence about the game, then wait unless you raeally want the pre oder stuff. See the reaction and then decide if you want to jump in or not.

# 59 GoGetta408 @ 09/21/14 03:11 PM
I wanted a demo strictly to see if the servers were gonna be trash (again) . 2K13 I believe gave us a demo that allowed you to play other randoms online. Im weary about this game strictly because 2K14 (PS4) was so unplayable online due to (input) lag.

# 60 GoGetta408 @ 09/21/14 03:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLBTheShowShortStop
I don't care about a demo, but what I need to hear is if the servers will be improved for online play...
Bingo.

Its amazing how people don't give them as much sh*t over this as they deserve. The servers have literally been awful for the past 7 years or so. And last year was downright unplayable.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.