Home
NBA 2K15 News Post

According to the PlayStation.Blog, it doesn’t look like we will see an NBA 2K15 demo this week. Demos typically release 2 weeks before the game releases to stores, which means we probably won't see one this year, for the second year in a row.

We have reached out to 2K for confirmation and will update this post when we hear back.

UPDATE: Just received confirmation, there will be no NBA 2K15 demo this year.

Game: NBA 2K15Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 64 - View All
NBA 2K15 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 Boilerbuzz @ 09/22/14 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Poopador

I don't think anyone is expecting a completely different game. But it certainly had its share of issues with gameplay. Why is it wrong to not want to pay $60 before making sure it's worth it?

No one says it is wrong. Where do you guys get that? Just saying it shouldn't be THAT big of a deal.

They have a full gameplay team man. Don't you think they worked at all? There have been gameplay impressions all over the place. IKC being one example. Now, with that said, any changes they make to address the so called "legacy" (term that is way overused here) issues never get done with a hammer. So if they aren't completely gone, Nit #1 will cry "they totally ignored the issue", when they've clearly made some sort of improvement. That doesn't help them at all.

# 122 Boilerbuzz @ 09/22/14 09:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaImmaculateONe
Did nba 2k get Kevin Hart to be in a commercial too?

Oh Gawd! I hope not. I hate that commercial.

# 123 spankdatazz22 @ 09/22/14 09:47 AM
Quote:
I am incredibly disappointed that there will be no demo. The main reason being because it makes me feel that on-court issues I had last year weren't touched. We still have yet to see any information about actual gameplay, controls, AI, footplanting, spacing, etc. So yes, a demo, to me, is crucial to see if those things have been fixed.
If you're only going to look at the situation in a vacuum and not take anything else into account, then I'd say you're being extremely fickle and particular, and likely would never be satisfied. Given NBA2K's history, everything they've announced to date in terms of how various game modes have been enhanced (which was THE biggest complaint here last year), 2K's continued effort in signing experienced game designers and respected, talented community members to their team to practically form a Dream Team development team, the fact that 2K14's games (both last gen and this gen) were fairly highly regarded from a gameplay perspective, the fact that the game has historically been one of the best sports games in terms of gameplay slider customizations, etc...

and you're still going to tell me you feel "on-court issues I had last year weren't touched"?

Give me a break. It's your right to be as picky as you want. But 2K literally has to thread the needle with gamers like you. Imo not worth chasing when you're likely going to find any little thing to your dissatisfaction. These guys aren't infallible, the game isn't going to be perfect. If they haven't earned the benefit of the doubt by now in your eyes, best not to purchase the game.

Quote:
Anyone who complains about those things in a demo is being unrealistic. A demo is meant to showcase gameplay, and sometimes, some presentation elements. Obviously you're not going to see those things. But at the end of the day, most people will spend the majority of their time with the game on the court, controlling the players. If that's no different than last year, all the modes in the world won't mean as much. Releasing a demo is a prime opportunity to show that they didn't just rehash the on-court game.
Again - when have they ever "rehashed" the on-court game? Last year, they do a lot from a gameplay perspective and it's complained they didn't do enough with the features. This year they make that a focus and now the gameplay's a question lol. I guess they just hired all those new gameplay-centric guys (to an already strong team) for show?

Quote:
I don't think anyone is expecting a completely different game. But it certainly had its share of issues with gameplay. Why is it wrong to not want to pay $60 before making sure it's worth it?
It's a videogame. It isn't a house or a car requiring some huge purchasing decision. If it does, then better to hold off purchasing if you feel the "gameplay hasn't been addressed" because they haven't told you it has been lol.

# 124 jadert @ 09/22/14 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilerbuzz
No one says it is wrong. Where do you guys get that? Just saying it shouldn't be THAT big of a deal.

They have a full gameplay team man. Don't you think they worked at all? There have been gameplay impressions all over the place. IKC being one example. Now, with that said, any changes they make to address the so called "legacy" (term that is way overused here) issues never get done with a hammer. So if they aren't completely gone, Nit #1 will cry "they totally ignored the issue", when they've clearly made some sort of improvement. That doesn't help them at all.
A lot of these people that have all of these gameplay "issues" would NOT be satisfied with a demo or the game. How am I so confident? Because 2K has a certain style of play that relies heavily on animations. So even though a lot of things will be tweaked and fixed, those animations will still bother people, especially if you are a heavy player of other game because it's so different. So when you hear people talking about "canned animations" and other buzz words, you know they will not be satisfied.

2K will always have two man animations, a little bumping on defense, animations that we lose control for a little. That's the sacrifice we make as gamers to have the most realistic basketball game on the planet. That's the direction 2K has decided to go. And because of its success, there aren't going to be too many changes. Think about it, 2K is selling Madden numbers, why would they appease a bunch of people that like another basketball game that can barely sell a million copies? It's a numbers game. They aren't going to change what the majority of basketball video gamers don't think is broke. So if this heavy animation style that 2K uses presents a bunch of issues for you (like losing control) then a demo is NOT going to appease you. Just stating facts

# 125 UnbelievablyRAW @ 09/22/14 10:28 AM
Quote:
If this takes you off the fence, you were never on it. Hypothetically speaking, if this turns out to be the best version ever, you would have passed on it because they didn't release a demo. That would be classic!

Some of you guys are something else. Just be honest. You want a free appetizer. That's it. "Cheap" and "selfish" are the harsh words for it. But I don't judge because I'm there with you. But I'm being honest about it. :P

If you need a demo to convince you, I guarantee you'll find something to keep you on the fence. It's a short dev cycle, folks. All the nitpickers would be the first hecklers talking about, "why didn't they focus more time on fixing this?!" Well, because they killed 2 weeks just making a demo and money on top of that. For what? To convince some tiny group that's been living under a rock to try a basketball game they wouldn't buy on the first day anyway? That's dumb. By that time, they can try the trial. Or try a friends copy. But this is the most important reason - spend that time making the game better! Screw a demo that people will hate on anyway.

And for those claiming they want to test the servers? Really? Unfinished servers on an unfinished version of the game? Yeah, I'm sure they're smart enough to know that this would be LESS reliable than a release version. Or are they smart enough? I don't know.

Finally to those talking about competition. If you think it's smart to make last minute decisions based on whether or not you think have competition, you're clearly not qualified to run business. People asked why they released one for 2k13. Um, because they had the time to do it! Wasn't a short cycle. There were no next gen versions to ship. Demo would be nice. But it a luxury. We're not entitled to them. If we don't like it, don't buy the game like this dude! It's a weak reason, but a valid reason - to make a political statement. It's like those people that don't eat at Chick fil A because they don't like the opinions of the founder. Not because the food sucks or because it's expensive.
They already have demos of the game running at various gaming events. I guess they wasted a lot of precious time taking a vertical slice of a SPORTS GAME that is pretty much 100% made (no dev is still adding features 2 weeks before launch). Demoing a sports game doesn't take as much effort as any other genre. Other games would have to find a situation that would allow players to learn the controls and also show how fun the game could be. A sport game doesn't change from hour 1 to hour 100. The gameplay mechanics stay consistent. The demo would be just to showcase improvements on the gameplay mechanics in 1-2 quarters of a exhibition game, and would let me see for myself if the areas of the game I found fault with last year have been fixed.

Sorry if I don't prescribe to the notion that 2k is consistent every year like you may, because where I see progression in some places (offensive movement and ballhandling) I see regression in others (defensive rotations and spacing). "On the fence" means just that. I was disappointed by 2k14 and I'm in the middle in terms of whether or not I get this iteration. Reading other people's opinions of the game doesn't do much for me considering how hyperbolic people's opinion of the game is after launch. Its either terrible or you got guys saying Jesus himself made it.

I understand from a business perspective that demos are more likely to push people away from buying a game but none of us are getting a cut of NBA 2k15's profits so why should I be okay with it as a consumer? Some of you guys should try to get paid for the PR work you do for them on these forums

# 126 kolanji @ 09/22/14 10:32 AM
Demos are very important to any game of any genre.....

Seeing a game n playing a game are two very separate entities.....after all we do play video games we don't watch them...thats why they are....... well video games

Unlike the ability most gamers have with territory and location to rent from services like gamefly or buy used....believe it or not some areas don't have these conveniences..

Demos bridge this gap of coverage and gets the users opinions and reviews, which to me is more useful and valuable than sites reviews to developers...

Digital downloads are becoming much more common place in my community and location because for us to get games close to release dates are simply impossible...we have to order from external locations like US, which could take weeks.... answer to our problem is to get it digitally

But getting a digital game that you really don't like is detrimental being u cant sell or give it away..so u feel a bit more disappointed in bad purchases

If a person plays a demo and don't like it, and they don't buy the game they will not be a bitter consumer compared to buying then feel buyers remorse later.
They become lest likely to use the product again, being reluctant due to un-satisfaction and disappointment. A customer not buying after trying isn't as bad as it seems, it minimizes the quantity of owners with dissatisfaction.

Demos helps to alleviate buyers remorse.... especially digital buyers remorse......am I right guys?

But question????
Doesn't a demo already exist for this game????????
Isn't that which was playable at Gamescom, Gamestop expo and TGS?????
Couldn't we get that version as well?

Trailers are great media instruments for entertainment products like movies and games, but more so for movies. A better and more impactful trailer for games are the DEMOS

I am getting NBA 2k15, don't get me wrong is just that it is not a day one for me, which will be digital, it is more like a week one for scouting reasons...my user satisfaction for nba 2k14 next gen was like a 7 compared to a 9 from the previous game...it makes me a bit more reserve for 15.i love all the new additions we know of so far, but am the gameplay kinda guy which means more to me over all else

We are very close to launch, I would like to wish Take Two and Visual Concept a prosperous and satisfactory release

# 127 aholbert32 @ 09/22/14 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner
On another note never really thought about how it takes time away from the retail version to put a demo together.

Just assumed they had the game on a disk from an earlier stage of development and put it out there. If not getting a demo means they can put more time into the retail version till release time I can do without ever getting a demo personally. I could be in the minority there.
Yeah it takes more time than people think. You have size restrictions so you have to strip things out of it. You have to bug test it to ensure there are no big issues caused by what you stripped out. Its not as easy as people think.

# 128 aholbert32 @ 09/22/14 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnbelievablyRAW
They already have demos of the game running at various gaming events. I guess they wasted a lot of precious time taking a vertical slice of a SPORTS GAME that is pretty much 100% made (no dev is still adding features 2 weeks before launch). Demoing a sports game doesn't take as much effort as any other genre. Other games would have to find a situation that would allow players to learn the controls and also show how fun the game could be. A sport game doesn't change from hour 1 to hour 100. The gameplay mechanics stay consistent. The demo would be just to showcase improvements on the gameplay mechanics in 1-2 quarters of a exhibition game, and would let me see for myself if the areas of the game I found fault with last year have been fixed.

Sorry if I don't prescribe to the notion that 2k is consistent every year like you may, because where I see progression in some places (offensive movement and ballhandling) I see regression in others (defensive rotations and spacing). "On the fence" means just that. I was disappointed by 2k14 and I'm in the middle in terms of whether or not I get this iteration. Reading other people's opinions of the game doesn't do much for me considering how hyperbolic people's opinion of the game is after launch. Its either terrible or you got guys saying Jesus himself made it.

I understand from a business perspective that demos are more likely to push people away from buying a game but none of us are getting a cut of NBA 2k15's profits so why should I be okay with it as a consumer? Some of you guys should try to get paid for the PR work you do for them on these forums
Those arent demos. Those are beta versions of the the game that are on disks. Big difference. And before you ask...they couldnt (nor should they) just slap a beta version onto PSN or Xbox Live and call it a demo. There are size restrictions so they would have to take a significant amount of time to change the beta into a demo.

# 129 UnbelievablyRAW @ 09/22/14 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
And a lot of games don't release demos - what difference does it make?
This is irrelevant. If 2k15 was shown with heavily downgraded graphics and said, "well Live's graphics suck too so why should we make our's good?" would you be okay with that? Other games don't matter

Quote:
This isn't some new IP or reimagining of the series. As has been essentially said, it doesn't make sense for 2K to waste time developing a demo to sway someone that is that damn fickle. Historically, 2K's demos have been pretty bare to begin with. You can't sit around being hyper-detailed on what issues you have in the game then expect most/all to be answered with a 5min quarter demo. These are people that are looking more for reasons not to buy than anything.
The demo's purpose is too showcase the core gameplay experience. The demo would show people that the core gameplay experience has improved over last years. You're making it sound as if this iteration would play the exact same as 2k14 so we should know what it will play like. You can tell in a 5 minute quarter if the CPU still over rotates on defense when a player drives down the middle, you can tell if the CPU still leaves 5 feet between them and their man on the perimeter etc

Quote:
The excuses are borderline ridiculous. Complaining that 2K didn't release a gameplay dev diary? Basically complaining that 2K didn't tell them what they wanted to hear - when they're accusing 2K of not telling the truth to begin with...? If 2K had released a demo, it would've been some other complaint:
You're right the excuses are ridiculous. We have people here that think its egregious to believe someone would like to hear more about how the core gameplay has been improved in detail like they have done in the past as it is as, if not more important than having mocapped cheerleaders.

Quote:
- It's too short.
- It's not online.
- Doesn't have access to [whatever feature the person deems important].
- Can't tell if simulated stats are fixed.
The demos for 2k have always been 1 quarter, with plays locked, and with the previous years finalists. In your hypothetical situation, why would people be complaining about the length of the game's or simulated stats or access to other features?

Quote:
It would be any number of excuses/complaints just so they can keep complaining. Even if 2K'd knocked a demo out of the park, I'm sure the excuse would've been "It's just a demo/not the final version".
That wouldn't make sense. If the demo was great why would people assume the actual game would suck?

Quote:
Most of us would like to have a demo just to have something to try out/play in the time between now and when the game releases. But basing your whole opinion on whether the game has a demo or not? Then do yourself - and us - a favor by not purchasing the game. It's an unrealistic expectation that it's going to play completely different than it did when it released 9 months ago, when most were acknowledging it was one of the best playing basketball games to date.
I wouldn't be trying the demo to pass the time, I would be playing it too see if the gameplay improved enough for me to buy this years game. How the CPU reacts and plays, the defense etc are things that you see every time you play a game of 2k. You're telling me if you go back and play 1 quarter of NBA 2k12 (multiple times) you wouldn't be able to tell if it was an improvement or not from NBA 2k14 from a core gameplay perspective?

# 130 UnbelievablyRAW @ 09/22/14 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Those arent demos. Those are beta versions of the the game that are on disks. Big difference. And before you ask...they couldnt (nor should they) just slap a beta version onto PSN or Xbox Live and call it a demo. There are size restrictions so they would have to take a significant amount of time to change the beta into a demo.
And what they've done in past years is simply cut the audio, plays and main menu in the demos as compared to what they showed off in the gaming events

# 131 aholbert32 @ 09/22/14 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingofATL
I agree...

Competition brings out the best in people. I believe personally that we will see better games from both companies in the coming years. I think once both EA & 2K finally learn what they can really do with these new systems we will start to see top notch NBA games from both.

But I do think that 2K made a mistake by not releasing a demo seeing that they didn't give us gameplay videos this year. And the fact that NBA 2K14 on the next-gen had missing features and suspect gameplay. I myself don't like how they are marketing the game this year. I think no real competition has made them a little too cocky. But that will change since EA has got back in the game. I want to see both games be great!!!!
We have 2 weeks until release. Why are we assuming they will never release gameplay vids?

Also lets say they dont release gameplay vids. Why are people forgetting that things are different now? With the 360/PS3, it was rare that anyone streamed or made videos of a game if they got it early. Now with the PS4/One, there are always people streaming vids 3-4 days before release/ So people will have plenty of time to see gameplay and decide if they want this game.

****, I'm willing to pay a ton of money to get the game early and if I do you can guarantee I will be streaming it. People will have plenty of opportunities to see the game before release.

# 132 aholbert32 @ 09/22/14 10:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnbelievablyRAW
And what they've done in past years is simply cut the audio, plays and main menu in the demos as compared to what they showed off in the gaming events
Thats not true at all actually.

# 133 SuperNova854 @ 09/22/14 10:59 AM
Doesn't bother me honestly. We'll get the demo while we are installing the disk like last year anyways. Probably.

# 134 Rebel_INS @ 09/22/14 11:05 AM
I would have loved for them 2 release a demo but I'm not stressing it. Game's already paid for and I'm taking the day off on 10/7. I'd just like 2 start seeing some official gameplay sooner than later...meaning 2day 😉

# 135 jeremym480 @ 09/22/14 11:09 AM
Oh well... I don't need a demo... I just need to know when this bad boy pops up on eBay.

#stillwaitingformytimetocomebuthopefullyitshouldnt betoomuchlonger

# 136 Goffs @ 09/22/14 11:25 AM
Quote:
Well that's you Bro, I am not willing to pay a ton of money to play any game. Especially if it turns out to be crap. I mean what sense does that make? I have a real life and real responsibilities as many of us do. Don't have the time or money to throw away to be basically a tester. I mean when you go to buy a car (if you're old enough to), you don't just buy the car without a test drive do you? Or you wouldn't just buy a house by the looking at the outside.

The "hide and reveal" game is not the way 2K needs to go. I like it when they are open and sharing with the community like they use to do. Not this 2nd hand crap where we have to get poor quality leaked footage. That's not the 2K we have grown to love. That's why we all loved 2K over the years because they did not do the "hide & reveal" game. We got plenty of info & videos thrown at us well in advance of the game release, not a few days before. We all loved their openess.

But hey I can't be mad at you... this is the era of the "Fanboy".... It's becoming contagious.
This is funny coming from you homie when you said something like this....

Quote:
I hate to admit it but....

For the first time in a while, I am actually more excited about NBA Live 15 coming out than 2K this year.
"Hide and reveal" HAH! Do you realize that the devs are very active and answers questions? Of course you don't since you seem to just pick which thread to jump in and have your little agenda.

# 137 aholbert32 @ 09/22/14 11:28 AM
Quote:
Well that's you Bro, I am not willing to pay a ton of money to play any game. Especially if it turns out to be crap. I mean what sense does that make? I have a real life and real responsibilities as many of us do. Don't have the time or money to throw away to be basically a tester. I mean when you go to buy a car (if you're old enough to), you don't just buy the car without a test drive do you? Or you wouldn't just buy a house by the looking at the outside.

The "hide and reveal" game is not the way 2K needs to go. I like it when they are open and sharing with the community like they use to do. Not this 2nd hand crap where we have to get poor quality leaked footage. That's not the 2K we have grown to love. That's why we all loved 2K over the years because they did not do the "hide & reveal" game. We got plenty of info & videos thrown at us well in advance of the game release, not a few days before. We all loved their openess.

But hey I can't be mad at you... this is the era of the "Fanboy".... It's becoming contagious.
OK first things first. Dont call me a fanboy ever again. I'm gonna give you a pass and not ban you for a personal attack because I'm in a forgiving mood but dont ever personally attack me or another OS member again.

Two, comparing this to a car or house purchase is the height of stupidity. This is a 60 dollar game. Those are thousand dollar purchases.

Three, I have a career, a wife and a newborn son so I have a real life and real responsibilities. I also have a career that pays me enough where I can handle those responsibilities (and then some) and still have plenty of money to buy a game or pay more than retail to get it early.

Four, if you arent blessed enough to be in a situation where spending 60 bucks on a game isnt that serious...maybe you should do what I suggested and wait until the game comes out, watch videos and streams and decide if you want to buy the game. Or you can spend 5-10 dollars and rent the game using redbox or gamefly.

Finally the reason I can buy this game without a demo is because I liked 2k14 and I liked the 20 plus videos we've seen. I also liked the features they added to the game. I dont need a demo to know that I will like this game.

# 138 23 @ 09/22/14 11:45 AM
Quote:
No dude I'm just unbiased... I dont d*** ride any game or company.

And yeah I am excited to see EA come back to the game. I've been a fan of both games over the years. And yea EA fell off, glad to see they are trying to come back. As I said before I want to see both games be great. And yea both companies have done the "hide & reveal" thing at one point or another.

Soooooo what's your point? You just tryna get attention huh? And what agenda is that dude? My dude you are obviously a fanboy I mean how does any of that offend you? Because I like competition and want to see both games go hard? Man kill yourself!!!!
Aaron just asked you not to go name calling did he not?

# 139 El_Poopador @ 09/22/14 11:54 AM
Quote:

I am not saying nobody worked on gameplay, not at all. But we don't know what else they've done outside of adding a shot meter. Sure, there are gameplay impressions. But there is always the possibility that there is a placebo effect. Again, we have no idea what the gameplay and AI teams have been doing for the last year. There has been no transparency. That is why I'm wary. I'm sure they put a lot of time and effort into the game, but that doesn't mean that big issues that I had (me, personally) have been addressed.

Please keep in mind that I am not saying it will be the same game with the same issues. I am simply saying that for me personally, the lack of a demo directly influences my decision to purchase the game. I purchased NBA 2k10-2k13 on release day based on the information released beforehand, and 2k14 about a month later based on impressions and track record. From a gameplay standpoint, I was not satisfied enough with 2k14 to warrant a blind purchase of 2k15.

# 140 El_Poopador @ 09/22/14 12:03 PM
Quote:
If you're only going to look at the situation in a vacuum and not take anything else into account, then I'd say you're being extremely fickle and particular, and likely would never be satisfied. Given NBA2K's history, everything they've announced to date in terms of how various game modes have been enhanced (which was THE biggest complaint here last year), 2K's continued effort in signing experienced game designers and respected, talented community members to their team to practically form a Dream Team development team, the fact that 2K14's games (both last gen and this gen) were fairly highly regarded from a gameplay perspective, the fact that the game has historically been one of the best sports games in terms of gameplay slider customizations, etc...
You're right; they have addressed one of the biggest complaints in terms of adding/revamping/fleshing out modes. But that doesn't mean they address my issues with the game. Like I said above, I wasn't satisfied enough with 2k14's gameplay and AI on the court to justify a purchase of 2k15 without seeing firsthand what has been changed.

Quote:
and you're still going to tell me you feel "on-court issues I had last year weren't touched"?

Give me a break. It's your right to be as picky as you want. But 2K literally has to thread the needle with gamers like you. Imo not worth chasing when you're likely going to find any little thing to your dissatisfaction. These guys aren't infallible, the game isn't going to be perfect. If they haven't earned the benefit of the doubt by now in your eyes, best not to purchase the game.
I never said I expected perfection. And I don't expect every single issue I had to be fixed, especially in a single cycle. But, with the lack of information, I can't help but be cautious. Hopefully they prove me wrong and some of the major issues I had last year will be fixed, but until I am able to see it for myself, I can't make an informed decision.

Quote:
Again - when have they ever "rehashed" the on-court game? Last year, they do a lot from a gameplay perspective and it's complained they didn't do enough with the features. This year they make that a focus and now the gameplay's a question lol. I guess they just hired all those new gameplay-centric guys (to an already strong team) for show?
Again, I never said they did nothing. But, until I see otherwise, it still lies within the realm of possibility that major issues I (personally) had went unaddressed. They've released a bunch of news on modes and features, which is great. But why can't the same amount of information be released for the area where I would be spending 90% of my time with the game?

Quote:
It's a videogame. It isn't a house or a car requiring some huge purchasing decision. If it does, then better to hold off purchasing if you feel the "gameplay hasn't been addressed" because they haven't told you it has been lol.
No one has to tell me that anything has been addressed. But if they are not going to come out with information on what has been worked in directly, then that's where a demo would suffice, so that I can see the changes for myself. But, I have a hard time making a purchase on blind faith.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.