Home
NBA 2K15 News Post

Pharrell Williams posted this short video clip of himself in NBA 2K15, meeting up with Ronnie2K in MyCAREER mode.

Quote:
#YourTimeHasCome to meet me in @2K #NBA2K15. New face scan technology will make it possible for us to meet face-to-face in one scene.

Game: NBA 2K15Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 64 - View All
NBA 2K15 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 Sundown @ 09/24/14 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
Not to pile on, though I suppose it's all generally the same issue, but I think I struggle with the idea of MyPlayer being forced into a personality and exaggerated speech patterns that bear absolutely no resemblance to me.

I think there's room for a little bit of rope (I could handle being given the choice of answering press conference questions in a manner that most resembled who I am and/or who I wanted to be) but I do not particularly like having myself (and with the addition of facial scanning, using oneself seems to be the point) being forced to act as if the important things in my life are Twittering a lot, meeting with stars and over-dramatically berating my lame agent with awful dialogue. What if I want to be David Robinson, a guy who just wants to modestly do his job and keep his distance from all the extra-curricular?

I know, the answer is, "If that's what you want, then this mode's not for you." But I just wish the variability still existed to allow that. Much of the immersion from the original MyPlayer was the ability to go on my own journey. I thought it was most satisfying to mirror my real life self, a guy who'd just try to hang on and get the job done via hard work. And then, if my brother wanted to create a young and brash virtual Jalen Rose for his MyPlayer, he could do that too (and he did). Choices are neat.

That's why in some ways, the past 2Ks were the most immersive in being OUR careers.

I was buddies with Hansboroug from playing with him in the combine, and developed a rivalry with john wall (A REAL NBA PLAYER) playing for spots against him. And I hated Darren Collison for never passing to me.

That felt way more "mine" than forced relationships with fake players. Or internal dialogue forced upon me. WHY ARE YOU IN MY HEAD, 2K? And now you've stolen my faaaace. /froth

Quote:
Brace yourself.

MyCareer is coming.

# 62 VDusen04 @ 09/24/14 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Well, even Metal Gear fans can appreciate the fun little thing's Kojima put's into the series. You don't see many detailed breakdowns of how his penchant to put some odd things into the game are ruining the genre or taking the game in a bad direction. It's amazing that a sport's game like NBA 2k is taken so much more serious. it was the same thing in the beard commercial thread...It's a bit disconcerting. If this attitude represents the niche that 2k has supposedly gone away from....I can't say I blame them.
Bad dialogue, bad acting, and bad scripts are just that - they're bad. And in fairness, since "good" or "bad" is in the eye of the beholder, it'll always be open to interpretation. But I fail to see what may be so worrisome about a niche audience that does not appreciate what they feel to be underwhelming and poorly executed aspects of the game.

I'd have to do a tally, but it appears as if many of the folks objecting to the immersion-harming manner with which they included Pharrell (while many have offered what may have been more realistic ways of including him) are the same people who've lauded many of the other additions 2K's made thus far. To offer a perspective from the other side, sometimes it feels the board can welcome and praise the majority of a game's decisions but the moment some reasonably object to something, they can be referred to as, "If this attitude represents the niche that 2k has supposedly gone away from....I can't say I blame them."

Perhaps it'd be easier to add signatures beneath each user name detailing each aspect they approve and disapprove of so far alongside a reasoning so the generalizations may be stifled a little.

Separately, without going too far into depth (unless one wishes), additions of Mighty Ducks dialogue to a player who is supposed to represent oneself (i.e. MyPlayer) in an NBA simulation seems to be a little bit removed from however a game like Metal Gear or Grand Theft Auto may choose to operate. Kind of seems like a tough comparison there. One (NBA 2K) is both insinuated (and historically & openly trumpeted) as being the world's #1 basketball simulation. I am unsure if real life simulation is what anyone signs up for when they buy Metal Gear. Maybe a little apples to oranges there.

That said, folks have historically loved when 2K added little things... when they make sense and fall in line with the expectations of a real life simulator. Even when they added the American flag stickers to the backboard in 2K3, that was awesome, because it made sense and it positively contributed to the mission of an NBA simulation product.

# 63 The 24th Letter @ 09/24/14 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakers24
I think a lot of the issue there is the fact that this is based on real life versus mgs being a complete work of fiction. This tends to lead to over analyzing everything because they want it to replicate what they see 9 months out of a year. I don't mind some silly stuff every once in a while, but some things can go a bit overboard for a simulation.
I look at MyPlayer mode as entering into a work of fiction....and as it's been said, we all have varying opinions on how close to reality we want that. If I had Pharrell talking to me during quick games, MyGM or MyLEAGUE I would have an entirely different view.

# 64 lakers24 @ 09/24/14 01:27 PM
Quote:
I look at MyPlayer mode as entering into a work of fiction....and as it's been said, we all have varying opinions on how close to reality we want that. If I had Pharrell talking to me during quick games, MyGM or MyLEAGUE I would have an entirely different view.
I get that, but even in this mode it can go overboard. As I said before, I think the pharrell thing and talking to players is cool, but it'd be better if it wasn't implemented like the LeBron/Jackson Ellis interactions of last year.

# 65 Sundown @ 09/24/14 01:31 PM
Quote:

MyPlayer never really entered fictional narrative until MyCareer. MyPlayer let you tell/enact most of your own story. It gave you the NBA experience without making you not you except where necessary for interview dialogue. But you had enough control that it was just an unfortunate limitation of the technology that you couldn't have your own voice in the game. But when they take over your personality and your thoughts... The "My" story becomes a lot less interesting and compelling (in addition to questionable dialogue quality itself).

# 66 jdbebuff @ 09/24/14 01:34 PM
Sounds like they used the script from the unreleased straight to DVD, "Above the Rim 2: The Revengence"

# 67 VDusen04 @ 09/24/14 01:34 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakers24
I get that, but even in this mode it can go overboard. As I said before, I think the pharrell thing and talking to players is cool, but it'd be better if it wasn't implemented like the LeBron/Jackson Ellis interactions of last year.
That is likely the crux of the issue. How divorced from reality is too divorced from reality? If talking to LeBron James and absorbing his signature dunk by osmosis on an empty court prior to a game is too divorced from reality for some, is that okay? And do gamers really want no other choice than to partake in those exchanges in this mode? Just because we establish a mode as a work of fiction, is there no line? Is it all fair game?

Before, MyPlayer seemed to be the short name for, "What if you tried to make it to the NBA and you did? And it was about you in an authentic NBA world just trying to succeed and clear your own path as you saw fit?" Now, MyCareer feels like, "What if you were in this wacky alternate NBA universe where you spoke only in awful cliches and stunted dialogue that you had no control over, and a lot of the real things of the NBA didn't even exist anymore, and stuff just kind of happened because, you know, fiction?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbebuff
Sounds like they used the script from the unreleased straight to DVD, "Above the Rim 2: The Revengence"
Stealing that title.

# 68 lakers24 @ 09/24/14 01:39 PM
VDusen04 You sir are in MyHead

# 69 The 24th Letter @ 09/24/14 01:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
MyPlayer never really entered fictional narrative until MyCareer. MyPlayer let you tell/enact most of your own story. It gave you the NBA experience without making you not you except where necessary for interview dialogue. But you had enough control that it was just an unfortunate limitation of the technology that you couldn't have your own voice in the game. But when they take over your personality and your thoughts... The "My" story becomes a lot less interesting and compelling (in addition to questionable dialogue quality itself).
To you it isn't. Just like older iteration wasn't compelling to me. As, I mentioned before, I couldn't make it 10 games w\o getting bored with the repetitive nature. We should stop speaking in these absolutes like one represents all of our experiences. As far as the narrative, It was always fiction to me...Having a billboard with my name and face on them, my own custom shoe, endorsements etc. That's about as fiction as it gets for me. This is just another part of that for me.

# 70 Sundown @ 09/24/14 02:00 PM
Quote:
To you it isn't. Just like older iteration wasn't compelling to me. As, I mentioned before, I couldn't make it 10 games w\o getting bored with the repetitive nature. We should stop speaking in these absolutes like one represents all of our experiences. As far as the narrative, It was always fiction to me...Having a billboard with my name and face on them, my own custom shoe, endorsements etc. That's about as fiction as it gets for me. This is just another part of that for me.

Point is the past games had elements and a structure that could have been enhanced by the narrative elements, rather than completely co-opted by them (and sometimes badly).

And yes, billboards of ourselves is fiction-- but it's wish fullfilment fantasy. Versus a fiction where you are simply not you and your decisions and NBA elements are taken away to serve that not-you narrative. There's a huge distinction there. You're totally cool with less NBA authenticity and your personality co-opted by a questionable actor because you're not an NBA player anyway?

I mean if we follow the logical end of your argument, and any divergence from reality is equal, then we might as well have The 24th Letter be represented by a mushroom that talks like a 60's robot.

The point some of us are making aren't just to crap on the mode for its own sake. It's to hopefully offer thoughts on how to execute what should obviously be the goal-- the ultimate wish fullfilment of us as NBA players, where we retain as much or as little of ourselves as we want, because the latter is key to making the illusion work. I don't see how anyone can not want that.

And these are obviously our thoughts and opinions. Ones we feel strong enough and have thought about long enough to feel confident expressing and debating about. Feel free to disagree, but I don't think we need to postfix IMO after everything.

# 71 NxckBrxdlvy @ 09/24/14 02:16 PM
anyone up for starting a thread about mycareer suggestions for 2K16? I think the main issue is people like myself want a career that we actually control and represents us. While others get so tired of the repetitive nature of the old myplayer mode.

# 72 da ThRONe @ 09/24/14 02:24 PM
Quote:

I think the problem with getting bored was the repetitive limitation the mode had back then. I don't think they did a good job in capturing the "fun" in building your athlete or the importance of fitting into a system while playing.

As far as having a billboard, shoe endorsements, etc. How is that any different from what the vast number of highly rated rookies experience? Sure some of the accolades came far too easily and quickly, but the concept is right on par with being a high draft pick.

# 73 SteboSSK @ 09/24/14 02:29 PM
Why is he getting a pass for pretty much ripping Jay Kay from Jamiroquai's style? Like Jamiroquai hasn't sold 30M records. FOH Pharrell

# 74 jadert @ 09/24/14 03:58 PM
The problem with all of these "MyPlayer experts" is that awful acting or bad scripting are opinions. 2K always adds a little extra to everything, like perfect hair weaves for cheerleaders lol. That's what they do. Everyone has a different experience with Myplayer. Some don't want cut scenes, they just want to play the season, get their grades and move on. Most love cut scenes. A friend of mine was really upset that the ps3 didn't get them in 2K14. He bought a PS4 just to have the cutscenes and MyGm etc.

Can you imagine that on the OS board? Someone bought a PS4 just for the MyPlayer cutscenes. I'm not kidding either. If you looked at the last gen board upon release, you would find some of the same sentiments.

Don't take 2K too seriously. Its just a video game mode. I know we all want the most realistic experience possible, but that varies from person to person. At the end of the day, we are all playing a video game. If you want a barebones NBA game, there is one coming out of 10/28.

# 75 The 24th Letter @ 09/24/14 03:59 PM
Quote:
That is likely the crux of the issue. How divorced from reality is too divorced from reality? If talking to LeBron James and absorbing his signature dunk by osmosis on an empty court prior to a game is too divorced from reality for some, is that okay? And do gamers really want no other choice than to partake in those exchanges in this mode? Just because we establish a mode as a work of fiction, is there no line? Is it all fair game?

Before, MyPlayer seemed to be the short name for, "What if you tried to make it to the NBA and you did? And it was about you in an authentic NBA world just trying to succeed and clear your own path as you saw fit?" Now, MyCareer feels like, "What if you were in this wacky alternate NBA universe where you spoke only in awful cliches and stunted dialogue that you had no control over, and a lot of the real things of the NBA didn't even exist anymore, and stuff just kind of happened because, you know, fiction?".

Well yeah, when you only use a hyperbole for one side it sounds crazy...

I definitely don't want to spend time in HS, AAU, multiple years of college, and hours playing virtual training mini games because you know- realism lol

# 76 Clappington @ 09/24/14 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadert
The problem with all of these "MyPlayer experts" is that awful acting or bad scripting are opinions. 2K always adds a little extra to everything, like perfect hair weaves for cheerleaders lol. That's what they do. Everyone has a different experience with Myplayer. Some don't want cut scenes, they just want to play the season, get their grades and move on. Most love cut scenes. A friend of mine was really upset that the ps3 didn't get them in 2K14. He bought a PS4 just to have the cutscenes and MyGm etc.

Can you imagine that on the OS board? Someone bought a PS4 just for the MyPlayer cutscenes. I'm not kidding either. If you looked at the last gen board upon release, you would find some of the same sentiments.

Don't take 2K too seriously. Its just a video game mode. I know we all want the most realistic experience possible, but that varies from person to person. At the end of the day, we are all playing a video game. If you want a barebones NBA game, there is one coming out of 10/28.
I got the Xbox One Mainly for the Graphics and saw that 2k had a story mode and when they showed the opening scene of 2k14 mycareer I was hype and wanted a X1 right then. that sold me for next gen. and I know lots of people like this also, I agree with everything you've stated.

# 77 SPRINGS03 @ 09/24/14 04:09 PM
Quote:

I definitely don't want to spend time in HS, AAU, multiple years of college, and hours playing virtual training mini games because you know- realism lol
Come on, you know he didn't mean that, now you're using hyperbole for the other side lol. And the way it was before the story seemed fine,you know,where you just played through a draft combine,or rookie showcase and had to build up your skills and earn playing time. I like that too, and i would like it if they would stop forcing players to have to become the next Michael jordan to be successful in the mode.

There's nothing wrong with adding touches like celebrities talking about you, or getting mentions, billboards, endorsements. All that is fine. But the way it is now feels heavy handed and cringe worthy, it feels like 2k is trying too hard to be cool and "hip" in this mode sometimes. I mean some people like cheesy stuff, that's ok(hell i love the old mortal kombat movies as bad as those are). But i think it's pretty easy to see why some people could find this gimmicky. There needs to be more subtlety.

# 78 VDusen04 @ 09/24/14 04:21 PM
Quote:

I am uncertain as to how this response adequately addresses my previous post.

# 79 jadert @ 09/24/14 04:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaFreeThinker
The 1982 mentality towards video games still persists I see. LoL...You and my Grandpa should hang out.
Yes, being an adult does give you that mentality. I live in the real world with real issues, not MYplayer ones.

# 80 The 24th Letter @ 09/24/14 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
Point is the past games had elements and a structure that could have been enhanced by the narrative elements, rather than completely co-opted by them (and sometimes badly).

And yes, billboards of ourselves is fiction-- but it's wish fullfilment fantasy. Versus a fiction where you are simply not you and your decisions and NBA elements are taken away to serve that not-you narrative. There's a huge distinction there. You're totally cool with less NBA authenticity and your personality co-opted by a questionable actor because you're not an NBA player anyway?

I mean if we follow the logical end of your argument, and any divergence from reality is equal, then we might as well have The 24th Letter be represented by a mushroom that talks like a 60's robot.

The point some of us are making aren't just to crap on the mode for its own sake. It's to hopefully offer thoughts on how to execute what should obviously be the goal-- the ultimate wish fullfilment of us as NBA players, where we retain as much or as little of ourselves as we want, because the latter is key to making the illusion work. I don't see how anyone can not want that.

And these are obviously our thoughts and opinions. Ones we feel strong enough and have thought about long enough to feel confident expressing and debating about. Feel free to disagree, but I don't think we need to postfix IMO after everything.
What if some players 'wish fulfillment' is the fame aspect of being an NBA superstar? What if chopping it up with stars before games, having interations with stars etc is an important part of the experience for them?

As far as your question...the main focus of the mode for me will be doing well on the court and building my character...not if his mannerisms or attitude sync up with mine....if I took thay attitude with video games I wouldnt play half the video games ive played....not every game is mass effect where I can control every aspect of my characters personality...and with the main focus being the basketball court, it'll bother me even less...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPRINGS03
Come on, you know he didn't mean that, now you're using hyperbole for the other side lol..

Well....yeah that was the point.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.