Home
NBA 2K15 News Post

Da_Czar has checked in with this new NBA 2K15 video, featuring the evolution of the freelance offense.

Lyrics and beats by @SageInfinite and @_RobDavis, respectively.

Watch the video and post your thoughts.

Game: NBA 2K15Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 64 - View All
NBA 2K15 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 stillfeelme @ 09/26/14 04:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
I would have been real disappointed if someone from here didn't notice that. Right now those are two separate plays in game. For 16 I would love to make it one and have Korver choose based on defense.
Czar that is sick either way though for me though. I am good having two plays though. Playing local it can be used as a decoy someone will start to cheat and chase Korver around and then Milsap or someone else gets open.

# 122 Da_Czar @ 09/26/14 04:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halloween
This may be the biggest improvement of A.I. in video games since F.E.A.R. It's just outstanding. I did not see that coming at all.

Now imagine players being determined by their ability to read offenses differently, being able to be in the right spot the right time or not. Was it Tony Parker's basketball I.Q. who ran the screen twice and faked a third in all of three seconds or would anybody have done that?

Either way, it's amazing to see A.I. controlled players do that.
First we have to build it. Then we make it intelligent, then we diversify it.

This year we built it and added a small bit of intelligence but it is just the ground floor. Next year we don't have to invent it. It already exists right ? So then we get to add that depth that you guys may want.

So to answer your question directly every AI player put in that situation will have access to that solution this year.

The goal is then to make it as you said appropriate to a given players awareness or intelligence. We can start to play with how quickly a player can see and understand what is happening and how quickly he can react once he understands etc. Very exciting stuff but, we have to get the base behavior to work correctly first.

That is why in my mind, iteration is the key, to taking these games where I believe you guys want them to go.

And everything I have said in other threads still applies. The AI is not always going to be fantastic even with this new system. But hopefully you can see the growth and we can keep the missteps to a minimum.

# 123 Scvllp @ 09/26/14 04:55 PM
This is the best news I have ever heard, loved the video!

# 124 ffaacc03 @ 09/26/14 04:57 PM
Quote:
For the Spurs swing motion O to design implement and test your talking 1.5 months of 80 hour weeks fam. Every team is just not possible in the time I had. LOL. Yall trying to kill a Czar round here.
Never ! ... I previously recomended you something in that regard (http://www.operationsports.com/forum...9&postcount=53), warning you of the consecuences of making such sacrifice ... and I know, as all my past jobs were between 60 & 120 hours a week.

# 125 Da_Czar @ 09/26/14 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpower15
So just to clarify, each team has their assigned freelance offense which will run automatically each possession unless another freelance or set play is called, correct?

Also, if we want to call a different freelance than the default, that is in effect only for the possession, and the next possession would again go back to the default freelance automatically unless something else is called. Correct?

Thanks for all the hard work, regardless of how many offenses got put in, the Spurs looks great and for future games I really think this will elevate the series to the next level.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I want to make sure I word this correctly. Every team does NOT have a unique freelance offense this year.

Every team does have A freelance offense.

Most teams will either run the standard 4-1 or 3-2,

The Spurs will run their OWN Swing Motion Freelance. We have also added a couple others.

So the point is we are BEGINNING to process of keeping every team from looking the same in freelance using the Spurs as the fist and primary example but there are a couple more freelance offenses' in the game this year.

I hope I was clear I def don't want to mislead anyone.

# 126 Bornindamecca @ 09/26/14 05:04 PM
Quote:
I want to make sure I word this correctly. Every team does NOT have a unique freelance offense this year.

The Spurs will run their OWN Swing Motion Freelance. We have also added a couple others.

So the point is we are BEGINNING to process of keeping every team from looking the same in freelance using the Spurs as the fist and primary example but there are a couple more freelance offenses' in the game this year.

I know OG will not rest until the Triangle is complete.

# 127 dpower15 @ 09/26/14 05:05 PM
Quote:

Yes I got that from your other posts. Was I correct in the second part of my post that the default freelance will be run automatically, whether swing motion for the Spurs, 3-2, 4-1, etc. unless another play or set is selected? If another is selected, say as the Heat I pick swing motion for one play, that is in effect for only that possession and then the default freelance returns the following possession.

I assume there have been some improvements to how the 3-2 and 4-1 sets freelance as well (even if they are slight)?

I'd also guess this means that if Popovich were to be fired by the Spurs in MyGM or MyLeague, whatever team hires him will then default to the swing motion? That would be a great way to make coaches have more of an impact on their teams.

# 128 2_headedmonster @ 09/26/14 05:17 PM
love all the hard work the team has put in and i love that the spurs are getting some love.

but can you elaborate on the 'weight shift penalty' and what parts of the game it applies to?

# 129 TUSS11 @ 09/26/14 05:18 PM
Wow! The intro was enough to convince me.

That Korver play is just beautiful. The only issue is that the A.I. is too good at avoiding screens so the defenders don't switch like in real life. That's kind of the point of the whole play: to hit Millsap's man with solid back-screen, forcing their defenders to switch and subsequently giving Korver space to curl for an open 3. Nevertheless, 2K has the play in the game which shows their dedication to replicate the NBA game.

The next thing I noticed was how smooth and quickly Diaw popped after setting the screen at 0:46. It may be a small detail but it makes all the difference.

The only bad thing I saw in this video was the A.I. not capitalizing on the Duncan/Monta mismatch at 6:24 and again at 6:28. I know they worked on plays not breaking but these are situations that a real NBA team would immediately look to exploit.

Overall, this has got me pumped. I'm going to play as much pick-up ball as I can next week because come the 7th...
Let me take 2K to a play nice and quite,
There ain't no one there to interrupt.

Ain't gotta rush, I just wanna take it nice and slow.
See I've been waiting for this for so long, playing 2K 'til the sun comes up.
Baby, I just wanna take it nice and slooooow.

# 130 Da_Czar @ 09/26/14 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpower15
Yes I got that from your other posts. Was I correct in the second part of my post that the default freelance will be run automatically, whether swing motion for the Spurs, 3-2, 4-1, etc. unless another play or set is selected? If another is selected, say as the Heat I pick swing motion for one play, that is in effect for only that possession and then the default freelance returns the following possession.

I assume there have been some improvements to how the 3-2 and 4-1 sets freelance as well (even if they are slight)?

I'd also guess this means that if Popovich were to be fired by the Spurs in MyGM or MyLeague, whatever team hires him will then default to the swing motion? That would be a great way to make coaches have more of an impact on their teams.

Oh. Yes. The default freelance for that team is run automatically. But once selected it runs until you change it.

So if you switch to the swing motion your in it until you change it to something else regardless of what your default is.

# 131 Pokes404 @ 09/26/14 05:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_headedmonster
love all the hard work the team has put in and i love that the spurs are getting some love.

but can you elaborate on the 'weight shift penalty' and what parts of the game it applies to?
It's just another term for "momentum" and/or "change of direction." If you're running full speed in one direction, it takes a moment to be able to change directions because you're fighting your own weight and momentum. Obviously, the higher the agility of the player, the less of a penalty they will suffer.

# 132 Kaanyr Vhok @ 09/26/14 05:32 PM
This is why I preordered after the hire.

# 133 FBall Life @ 09/26/14 05:32 PM
Quote:

You and the other 2K staff members that visit the forums really, truly impress me with your honesty. Some other companies would be in threads hyping their game up to no end through lies and half truths. I'm sure I probably speak for most people here when I say THANK YOU for being honest with us!

You guys respect us enough to not treat us like we're stupid. In turn, we respect you guys for being able to say things like "sure, some things may look janky" or "no, we don't have unique freelance plays for every team". Other companies would lead us to believe everything in their game is perfect, and then the obvious truths come out when the game ships.

So again, thank you guys. Continue to be honest with us. It goes an incredibly long way.

# 134 The Kid 24 @ 09/26/14 05:36 PM
Just curious... Do the Thunder have a unique freelance?

# 135 richmo @ 09/26/14 05:37 PM
Quote:
Oh. Yes. The default freelance for that team is run automatically. But once selected it runs until you change it.

So if you switch to the swing motion your in it until you change it to something else regardless of what your default is.

Does this apply if I switch over to the CPU and back to my team? Will they automatically switch back to their default?

# 136 23 @ 09/26/14 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid 24
Their freelance would be Iso KD or rwb

# 137 snocone @ 09/26/14 05:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
Their freelance would be Iso KD or rwb
Westbrook Iso, Durant sits in the corner

# 138 dpower15 @ 09/26/14 05:43 PM
Quote:

Awesome. Thanks for taking time to answer my questions and every one else's, one of the many things that sets 2K apart from other gaming companies! I think I speak for everyone in hear in saying we really appreciate all the communication that guys like you and Leftos provide.

So with the freelance set by coach, does it follow that coach from team to team? So if Pop gets fired and then hired by the Nets for example, the Nets will run the Swing Motion freelance?

# 139 23 @ 09/26/14 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snocone
Westbrook Iso, Durant sits in the corner
That's called the "Carlton"

# 140 Pokes404 @ 09/26/14 05:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid 24
A 4-out-1-in would basically cover it. Only real wrinkle that would be Thunder specific would be to have Durant set on-ball screens for Westbrook and work the pick-n-pop. Other than that, the offense is really just about spacing and allowing Westbrook/Durant (and Jackson to a degree) to get in 1-on-1 situations with space to operate.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.