Home
NBA 2K15 News Post

If you are having issues actually playing NBA 2K15 -- you are not alone. A casual glance at the 2K15 server status page looks like a giant down day on Wall Street with tons of red and orange flashing at you.

After last year's debacle, there is simply no excuse for a game launch going as poorly as the NBA 2K15 one has gone once again. Huge chunks of the game's experience have had issues even working since launch: MyTEAM, MyCAREER, The Park, the Jordan Rec Center -- just to name a few. If you are a single player guy who is interested in MyLEAGUE, that game mode is working fine at this time.

An issue which has reportedly been resolved dealt with players losing their face scans and player profile info as servers went down -- this is especially painful since the face scanning process is something which isn't exactly easy.

Granted, when things do get ironed out (if they do), the game plays great and by most marks is a well built title. But one has to ask why, after so much flak last year, is so much of the game's functionality (even in seemingly single player modes like MyCAREER) dependent upon servers which have never performed well historically?

For now, if you are a gamer who is on the fence about buying NBA 2K15, if you plan to play modes which need access to the 2K servers (most of them) it is probably a good idea to wait a bit to see if the problems clear up. You can see the status of the servers on 2K's website for reference.

Game: NBA 2K15Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 64 - View All
NBA 2K15 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 Haval93 @ 10/09/14 11:32 PM
This is just dumb and stupid. I bought the game earlier today and still haven't been able to go online. What happened to the top two engineers working on the online infrastructure of this year? Honestly, you would think after so many years this would be addressed. No excuses for this. A game like this that relies heavily on online aspect should be working period. It honestly feels like this isn't a priority for this team. Allocate more resources to fixing the online aspect if your going to make the game based on them. This isn't a small team with no money or support, they are 2K Games second largest franchise only behind GTA.

# 102 coachpars @ 10/10/14 12:10 AM
My park is unplayable. Im online and can move thru each mode but what a disaster waiting a half hour just to get bumped or stuck in got next box. Im going to have to just put this down for a few days. Very disappointed because I think I would love this game.

# 103 XenoZograscope @ 10/10/14 12:33 AM
Man, this game has so many issues until it's not even funny at this point. Every time I load this game up there's seem be a new problems that occurs. I'm just wondering now what else can go wrong with this game?!

# 104 Sports fanantic @ 10/10/14 12:40 AM
This is truly hard to hear, but not surprising as well. 2K never addressed anything about online stability for almost 5-6 years. They never talk about this issue when they are trying to convince us (their pitch) to purchase their product. So in reality, you have to just try to roll the dice every year and hope that they solve the problem, but every year the results stay the same or worse.

# 105 StacksOfHighSociety @ 10/10/14 12:40 AM
What motivation do they have to change if "we" continue to purchase the game? I know, a good company is motivated to make a good product,but with 2K, that hasn't been the case.
After last year, I learned. I figured I would wait until the bugs are gone before I purchased. Honestly, I didn't expect the same issues as last year but I'm so thankful that I didn't purchase the game early or on launch day. I've been reading the forums and shaking my head. It is really disgusting.

# 106 Stickman777 @ 10/10/14 12:50 AM
I also had bought the game today, but i had to play madden instead because of the servers.

# 107 morningstar777 @ 10/10/14 12:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HypoLuxa13
As someone who DOES work in IT, I would almost guarantee that the majority of issues are software related. Sure, there may be some capacity issues with the hardware. But that would be a case of just throwing some money at the situation and it would be resolved. After all, there are only a few hardware manufacturers out there that make enterprise wide solutions like a game hosting server farm.

The reason they can't get it working, like much of the time for NBA 2k14 and still no better for NBA 2k15, is because their proprietary, in-house software is poorly written, poorly tested, poorly de-bugged.
After reading this, and if this IS the case, then NBA2K is gonna be in trouble. Their development cycle is only a year, although I do not have a software background I think I can assume that 2K uses a main coding base for their games, and then add/alter on top of it every year. What happens is that it spirals into a bigger issue where finding the root of the problem gets harder and harder every year, unless the whole game is written itself from scratch from top to bottom, I foresee this being a long term problem. And for them to tell us that they have hired 2 top engineers to work on their servers without giving out their names is either 1. An outright lie or 2. They don't even know what the problem is. They're never gonna come out and say "It's not the servers, it's actually our game."

I do not own any other 2K games, WWE, Tennis, etc, if someone can chime in on how the online portion of those games are, it can validate my guess. If those servers and fine and good, then the problem IS NBA2K's software. This sounds like a really difficult issue to get out of. Again, that is providing if HypoLuxa13 is correct, which makes a ton of sense.

# 108 lvnba @ 10/10/14 03:02 AM
I really cannot understand why they do not put BIG money into this. They sold what, 5-6 million copies last year?

How can they even there spend money on 2kTV, face scan, Pharrell, etc when the game does not work properly?

This is amazing to me.

# 109 Number999 @ 10/10/14 03:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvnba
I really cannot understand why they do not put BIG money into this. They sold what, 5-6 million copies last year?

How can they even there spend money on 2kTV, face scan, Pharrell, etc when the game does not work properly?

This is amazing to me.
You do understand what people would say right?

"It's basically NBA2k14 but servers that most of the time work, great work 2k."

# 110 MFDOOMBOT @ 10/10/14 04:00 AM
I am the lead network architect for a medium sized web hosting company. I actually design the data center infrastructure and have a wealth of knowledge in the matter of server management.

I'm going to create a thread tomorrow to give my two cents on what seems to be the real issue with 2k's history of fail with their online components in their games, but to give a quick overview, they need to completely overhaul their data centers & do not have the budget to do so. This is causing their architecture team to put band-aids on the problem instead of truly fixing their issues.

All a symptom of higher management not understanding that their games have outgrown their current setup. You have to remember that 2K started as a division of cash strapped SEGA at the tail end of their being a hardware company.

In order to truly have an infrastructure to handle the amount of traffic a game like NBA2k produces, they'd need to have their own data center (ala Micro$oft, Apple & Google) They'd have to replace all of the outdated servers, network hardware they currently have (while still maintaining servers for current games)

It's basically a cost issue & the 1 year turnaround for 2k16 doesn't really allow them to do this. Along with a marketing department that would rather have back of the box features (where we get Pharrell being paid to "curate" the soundtrack) than an actual data center that can handle the load.

It's a bad situation for any Sysadmin/Netadmin team, one that won't be fixed as long as millions of people buy the game and the Top Men are turning a profit.

I'll go a bit more in depth when I have a chance to write my thread, but really it comes down to, no real competition to force major changes. Myself & millions of others still pay $60 for have *** products.

# 111 ChiliPalmer @ 10/10/14 04:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut32
I am the lead network architect for a medium sized web hosting company. I actually design the data center infrastructure and have a wealth of knowledge in the matter of server management.

I'm going to create a thread tomorrow to give my two cents on what seems to be the real issue with 2k's history of fail with their online components in their games, but to give a quick overview, they need to completely overhaul their data centers & do not have the budget to do so. This is causing their architecture team to put band-aids on the problem instead of truly fixing their issues.

All a symptom of higher management not understanding that their games have outgrown their current setup. You have to remember that 2K started as a division of cash strapped SEGA at the tail end of their being a hardware company.

In order to truly have an infrastructure to handle the amount of traffic a game like NBA2k produces, they'd need to have their own data center (ala Micro$oft, Apple & Google) They'd have to replace all of the outdated servers, network hardware they currently have (while still maintaining servers for current games)

It's basically a cost issue & the 1 year turnaround for 2k16 doesn't really allow them to do this. Along with a marketing department that would rather have back of the box features (where we get Pharrell being paid to "curate" the soundtrack) than an actual data center that can handle the load.

It's a bad situation for any Sysadmin/Netadmin team, one that won't be fixed as long as millions of people buy the game and the Top Men are turning a profit.

I'll go a bit more in depth when I have a chance to write my thread, but really it comes down to, no real competition to force major changes. Myself & millions of others still pay $60 for have *** products.

Nah. Thats not a cost issue. Take two had a net income of almost one billion $ in just the third quarter 2014 with 40% increasing digital sales year by year. 2k along with GTA is their best selling product. they have tons of free cash as well. They could build wathever server structure they want. If any, its a logistical problem.

# 112 NastyGT @ 10/10/14 06:32 AM
Well, I am PC player and play NBA 2K since 2K9 when it`s ported to PC for the first time. So, practically, PC version never had any/good server connections so this thing is something normal for guys who played PC version before. I loved Association mode before and MyLeague is awesome in 2K15. I`ll surely try for the first time MyCareer mode, looks great, but I`m patient and believe they will fix things soon. Untill then, enjoyment in MyLeague is great.
And I guess I am one of the few lucky players of 2K15. No glitches, no stuttering, no halos around players heads, no rainbow colors on player, entered code for preordered stuff, get it all as it should be, sound is little lower, but not much and no fuss about that, online will be, I hope, available soon.
And most important thing of all - gameplay is UNBELIEVABLY good if you know a little about basketball. And that gameplay bought me...

# 113 aandrew610 @ 10/10/14 07:03 AM
I'm pretty irritated with the performance of the servers on 2k15. You would think 2k would have learned from previous years mistakes and at least rent some extra servers for the initial launch of players trying to get online. 2k15 is now out internationally the servers are only going to get worse. They need to drop the whole vc micro transactions and make it where game modes don't need to run through there servers

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

# 114 Mintsa @ 10/10/14 08:41 AM
Good news on the servers. For ranked matches anyways. They were working last night. My VIP/record was viewable. Also the other night when my VIP stats page was just blank, all my wins/losses fro that were recorded and showed up yesterday.

# 115 Antonioshellz @ 10/10/14 08:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintsa
Good news on the servers. For ranked matches anyways. They were working last night. My VIP/record was viewable. Also the other night when my VIP stats page was just blank, all my wins/losses fro that were recorded and showed up yesterday.

Yea and I'm actually able to play in the park now with other people. There's quite a few people here actually enough to fill three courts.

# 116 morningstar777 @ 10/10/14 10:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliPalmer
Nah. Thats not a cost issue. Take two had a net income of almost one billion $ in just the third quarter 2014 with 40% increasing digital sales year by year. 2k along with GTA is their best selling product. they have tons of free cash as well. They could build wathever server structure they want. If any, its a logistical problem.
You know what a budget is right? He never said anything about them not having money to do it, he said the BUDGET isn't in it for them to revamp the servers. Basically meaning that putting more money into making online stability is not their concern because they move units year after year anyway. And any business will tell you that the goal is to grow each year, so if sales of 2K plateau, expecting them to start cutting costs left and right, whether if it's in the marketing department, development, or sadly, servers. They need new people in charge.

# 117 twogotwingz3 @ 10/10/14 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aandrew610
I'm pretty irritated with the performance of the servers on 2k15. You would think 2k would have learned from previous years mistakes and at least rent some extra servers for the initial launch of players trying to get online. 2k15 is now out internationally the servers are only going to get worse. They need to drop the whole vc micro transactions and make it where game modes don't need to run through there servers

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
EXACTLY!!!! They have wayyy too much stuff going on for servers! Stupid accessories, clothes, jewelry, hats, shoes and all those things have dumb VC prices that cost more than your salary as a NBA player! lmaoo smdh ...please get rid of VC .... This is the only sports game where its a price to dress on the sports field in the gear you want smdh

# 118 BMDinTDOT @ 10/10/14 10:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauer4MVP
What's there to discuss? You're coping and pasting the same 3 messages over and over in different threads. You are taking this game way too seriously. It honestly is not healthy.
Excuse me for being pissed off about paying $80 for a product
that has a vital service that I want that barely works. Especially
as I've been patient for the last few years hoping that it gets
corrected.

Does this company acknowledge or apologize for this?

Am I supposed to apologize for being concerned and pissed off
how my favorite and only game I play is going in a downward spiral
when their other games have become extinct.

It's like people that buy a smartphone and texting or the internet
doesn't work and people that don't care about or use those features
whining and complaining about people that do and are upset about it.

There are game modes and features in this game I don't care about or
play if they were broken or not working properly I wouldn't be whining
and complaining about the people that like and use those modes that
are upset about them.

# 119 tuck243 @ 10/10/14 01:51 PM
The rule of thumb for any software or firmware is 40% success rate... Regardless of what happens if 40% of the time it works then they roll it out... It's the sad truth and we will always see that... From Video games to iPhones... They look at it as "I can always send a patch"...

# 120 jeebs9 @ 10/10/14 02:15 PM
Isn't this a problem with the VC currency. Isn't that the reason why all these modes of the game are connected to the servers?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.