Home
News Post

Owen Good at Polygon penned a great article this weekend talking about the future of the NBA Live series. Sean O'Brien, the executive producer of NBA Live 15, has several very interesting quotes within the article which speak directly to the future of the franchise.

The most interesting quote comes in the first parts of the article where O'Brien answers Owen's question on whether there will be an NBA Live 16 or not, "Guaranteed. We've already started development on 16. We're staffing up. We're actually increasing investment on what 16 — and 17 — look like."

This is especially good news since EA is in its final year of its agreement with the NBA. If indeed Live sticks around, time will likely lead it into a pretty good direction in the future. Much of the article was spent downplaying NBA Live 15's potential though.

Some quotes from O'Brien:

"Part of me wishes people could hear the conversations I'm in. I wish I could snap my fingers and it would be two years from now."

"We're a work in progress."

"It's a long term strategy. Building a high-definition game is not easy. I think the game we're creating is dfferent, and I think as we mature as a product, you'll see that difference come out more and more."

What do you think of O'Briens quotes and the linked Polygon article?

Member Comments
# 21 bigeastbumrush @ 10/20/14 08:25 AM
First words from the producer was he's not trying to sell anyone on the game.

So..they're being knocked because of what exactly?

No gameplay videos? No demo?

LOL..he told you straight up he's not trying to reel you in.

Let them dudes cook.

# 22 GisherJohn24 @ 10/20/14 08:47 AM
yeah. This is really concerning to me. Also the words of for Live 16 we will "staff up". Um, shoudln't you have staffed up for 14 and 15?

# 23 El_Poopador @ 10/20/14 09:33 AM
I guess I just don't understand where all the negativity is coming from. Yea, it sucks that we haven't seen any extended gameplay from the developers, but at the same time, we knew up front they weren't trying to heavily market the game. We know their primary focuses were visuals and control. We've seen the visuals from the little they have released, and gameplay videos won't really show us anything regarding control, since we can't feel it ourselves.

Either way, they are releasing a demo for both systems, and we will see plenty of gameplay from those. At that point, we can see how much has really improved, and make decisions from there.

# 24 GisherJohn24 @ 10/20/14 09:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Poopador
I guess I just don't understand where all the negativity is coming from. Yea, it sucks that we haven't seen any extended gameplay from the developers, but at the same time, we knew up front they weren't trying to heavily market the game. We know their primary focuses were visuals and control. We've seen the visuals from the little they have released, and gameplay videos won't really show us anything regarding control, since we can't feel it ourselves.

Either way, they are releasing a demo for both systems, and we will see plenty of gameplay from those. At that point, we can see how much has really improved, and make decisions from there.
To me it was a warning to "not expect much" especially admitting it's not near 2K's level." to me, that's a bad bad sign.

# 25 GisherJohn24 @ 10/20/14 10:24 AM
Or maybe, Playing devils advocate here, maybe tehy're just playing with our minds and Live 15 will be fantastic and then it will make the idea of 16 being even more awesome! It's a marketing strategy!

# 26 El_Poopador @ 10/20/14 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GisherJohn24
To me it was a warning to "not expect much" especially admitting it's not near 2K's level." to me, that's a bad bad sign.
I see it a little differently. They seem to know where they stand, and are not trying to over hype the game. I much prefer this approach over Elite 11's.

It just seems like they're damned if they do, and damned if they don't. If they tried to sell the game and say it was "on 2k's level," everyone would be criticizing them saying there's no way it's true. Instead, when they're being realistic and saying they're proud of what they've done, but there's still a lot they want to accomplish, they still get blasted. That's the part I don't get. I'm happy with the transparency.

# 27 bigeastbumrush @ 10/20/14 10:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GisherJohn24
And why should anyone expect much from a title that hasn't been good for 4 years now?

Admitting that is not near 2K's level is a bad sign? So you'd rather him come out and say it's the best game on the market?

They're taking the under promise, over deliver approach.

The expectations are not coming from them. It's coming from the Live nostalgists, the people wanting another bball option and the people who just want to kick up dust.

# 28 rudyjuly2 @ 10/20/14 10:42 AM
I just don't see how they can guarantee Live will be making a Live 16 without seeing the sales figures for Live 15. The EA executives don't care if they have a dev team working on 16 or 17 or 18. They will crunch the numbers and if they feel there is no hope they will can the game and cut their losses.

It is hard to fathom why we haven't seen true 5 on 5 gameplay footage at this point. It's like the movie that doesn't release early to the critics to avoid all the negative publicity. I'm still looking forward to checking out the PS4 demo next Tuesday although it's a bit sad when I'm just hoping for a Live 10 experience (which had sliders) with upgraded graphics. They could have saved a lot of pain if they just ported that game in the first place.

# 29 GisherJohn24 @ 10/20/14 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Poopador
I see it a little differently. They seem to know where they stand, and are not trying to over hype the game. I much prefer this approach over Elite 11's.

It just seems like they're damned if they do, and damned if they don't. If they tried to sell the game and say it was "on 2k's level," everyone would be criticizing them saying there's no way it's true. Instead, when they're being realistic and saying they're proud of what they've done, but there's still a lot they want to accomplish, they still get blasted. That's the part I don't get. I'm happy with the transparency.

In the end, for me, it's going to come down if it's; better than 14 that's a win for most people. I hope its' a lot better. But my question is this, will it be worth the full 60 bucks price tag? IMO EA should realy take the hit and sell this baby at 39.99 or even 49.99 and show some compassion for their fans...I think it will really boost the momentum for next year. Just my opinon though.

# 30 The 24th Letter @ 10/20/14 10:59 AM
Transparency would be showing us the game you’re “proud of”, TBH.

This is why these articles are responded to the way they are though, what else do folks have to go on?

With this article in general, besides a throwaway line about being confident, it comes off as lacking confidence IMO...that's just I how I felt reading it. Doesn't mean I won't try the demo and see for myself..

# 31 ProfessaPackMan @ 10/20/14 11:09 AM
After reading the article, I guess the only question that should be asked is...why charge $60 then?

Unless you're a realist and knew it would be at least another year before we get to see Live's potential, isn't it a bit too late to be lowering expectations for this? Because that's what the article sounds like it's trying to do. Or at least that's how I interpreted it but I could be wrong.

# 32 GisherJohn24 @ 10/20/14 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaPackMan
After reading the article, I guess the only question that should be asked is...why charge $60 then?

Unless you're a realist and knew it would be at least another year before we get to see Live's potential, isn't it a bit too late to be lowering expectations for this? Because that's what the article sounds like it's trying to do. Or at least that's how I interpreted it but I could be wrong.
I think it is giving us an indirect heads- up it's still not where we want it. Least that's how I read it.

# 33 El_Poopador @ 10/20/14 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Transparency would be showing us the game you’re “proud of”, TBH.

This is why these articles are responded to the way they are though, what else do folks have to go on?

With this article in general, besides a throwaway line about being confident, it comes off as lacking confidence IMO...that's just I how I felt reading it. Doesn't mean I won't try the demo and see for myself..
This is also a third party article, so I always take those with a grain of salt. I'm sure we didn't get the full interview out of this article, but rather just a few quotes.

Please keep in mind that I am not saying Live is going to be the most amazing game ever and people are stupid for doubting; I'm just saying that I don't see a real reason for the large amounts of negativity when we knew up front how they were going to "market" the game. They have said from the beginning that they just want people to try it and see how much they have progressed.

# 34 GisherJohn24 @ 10/20/14 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Smif
According to the article, here's how much better it will be, not sure what to make of it, but sure doesnt sound like a whole lot better, see below.

Here is the guarantee O'Brien will make, though: NBA Live 15 will be better than NBA Live 14 by about this much, he says, holding one hand about a foot above the other.
What does that mean?

# 35 bigeastbumrush @ 10/20/14 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
I just don't see how they can guarantee Live will be making a Live 16 without seeing the sales figures for Live 15. The EA executives don't care if they have a dev team working on 16 or 17 or 18. They will crunch the numbers and if they feel there is no hope they will can the game and cut their losses.

It is hard to fathom why we haven't seen true 5 on 5 gameplay footage at this point. It's like the movie that doesn't release early to the critics to avoid all the negative publicity. I'm still looking forward to checking out the PS4 demo next Tuesday although it's a bit sad when I'm just hoping for a Live 10 experience (which had sliders) with upgraded graphics. They could have saved a lot of pain if they just ported that game in the first place.
Every single company can forecast a loss. That doesn't mean they stop operations. You'd be surprised at how many of your favorite companies are functioning at a loss and still pushing out products.

Live isn't the money maker for EA. It's just a project amongst a bunch of other projects.

They cut funding in different areas like marketing and advertising. When's the last time you've seen a commercial for NBA Live when they used to have all of those "If it's in the game" commercials before?

Saying they didn't show 5 on 5 isn't true because they did. They just didn't show enough for our liking.

# 36 wacko11 @ 10/20/14 01:45 PM
I'm just waiting for Thursday, I don't care if they show gameplay anymore, I get to play it myself

# 37 wdh6325 @ 10/20/14 01:55 PM
Yes. The moment of truth is Thursday. If the game is good then I will have to divide my 6 hours up between Thursday and Tuesday so that my ea access will last until the full game comes out.lol

# 38 Haval93 @ 10/20/14 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdh6325
Yes. The moment of truth is Thursday. If the game is good then I will have to divide my 6 hours up between Thursday and Tuesday so that my ea access will last until the full game comes out.lol
Lol. Same here. I am worried I'll just play the 6 hours the first day. Got to mange the time until the game releases.

# 39 seanhazz1 @ 10/20/14 02:18 PM
I didn't know how to take the Polygon article,and reread it 3x. It did have a foreboding undertone to it, I can't put my finger on it because of the misdirection it was spitting by telling us about 16 and 17 beyond this year, i wasn't expecting that. If the intent was to quell a rumor of whether or not the franchise will go beyond this season, then I am still clueless, because we have read this before, and I remain distrustful beyond this year with all other factor considered, but hopeful.

About the other comments, and openly admitting its inferior to the other game but better than LIVE 14 before it releases, is almost like we are being warned to quell our expectations before we try it out. I know the two games play differently, but is the "learning curve" going to be too frustrating for gamers, if the whole delay was for defensive tuning, to make the game playable and not appear too arcade-like or cheese bait, did the extra time actually address the noted in-house issues?

I remain hopeful for LIVE 15, because of where the physics is going in the other EA games using IGNITE engine, which I've warmed up to and actually like, but if the 2K server issues stabilize, they could be squeezed out before they get their real chance, and I wish they had the confidence showcase their product and to break their schedule if only to win some of the frustrated 2K15 gamers. That would help both companies to break out of their stale ways and get back to innovating (deeper online modes hopefully) again outside graphics and animations. Thursday can't get here fast enough.

# 40 NoTiCe_O @ 10/20/14 02:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wacko11
I'm just waiting for Thursday, I don't care if they show gameplay anymore, I get to play it myself

And you know what, I think that's what they've been trying to get across this entire time..

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.