Home
NHL 15 News Post

(This post has been promoted to the homepage for more to see. EA Sports is looking for EASHL experts. Read the post below and submit your application.)

COMMUNITY VOTING IS NOW OPEN!

Please go to this link to vote: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ZZDT99L

- Please vote only ONCE. It's easy to tell if people are spamming votes, we will delete duplicates.
- Keep in mind, candidates were chosen to have a good mix of players on the committee. Apologies if you were not chosen!
- We will clean up thread so only the candidates in the poll remain visible, that way you can make informed decisions about who you want to represent the community.

Thanks to everyone that participated!

- EA NHL Team

--------------

Hey Everyone,

As some of you may know, we promised to put together a community driven committee to help with the development of future iterations of the EA NHL franchise. Our goal is to bring the most passionate and knowledgeable community members into the studio to directly influence and shape the development of core game modes, as well as other aspects of the game. This first event will take place in early December.

This NHL Community Committee will eventually work to bring fan feedback directly to many aspects of the game, but the first objective is to help with the development of EA SPORTS Hockey League.

If you are interested in being part of this NHL Community Committee, please post in this thread and answer the following questions and let us know why you should be chosen:

1. How long have you been playing EASHL? What is your favorite part about the mode?
2. As part of the NHL Community Committee, what part of the mode would you like to directly influence?
3. What makes you the ideal candidate for this committee?

After we have received enough applications, we will put the top candidates into a poll and the community will vote in the top 2 fans from OS onto the committee.

The entire committee will be made up of fans from different EA NHL communities, including the official EA Forums and Operation Sports.

Note: To participate in the committee you must reside in North America and be able to travel to Canada.

Thanks,
EA NHL Team.

Game: NHL 15Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 16 - View All
NHL 15 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 FlyingFinn @ 11/23/14 05:04 PM
I am sorry missed this. I am a software engineer passionate about video games who spent countless hours of my free time developing video game editors for sports games to allow end users to do things the developers couldn't get in. I am also an avid hockey fan (parents from Finland) with a degree in physics and mathematics who has been working in the software engineering (not games) industry for the last 19 years.

# 42 bad_philanthropy @ 11/24/14 10:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
I am sorry missed this. I am a software engineer passionate about video games who spent countless hours of my free time developing video game editors for sports games to allow end users to do things the developers couldn't get in. I am also an avid hockey fan (parents from Finland) with a degree in physics and mathematics who has been working in the software engineering (not games) industry for the last 19 years.
Finn should definitely get to be a part of this with his history of editors, and specifically the NHL 2k editor. His contributions overall to the hockey gaming community over the past decade have been substantial.

# 43 shogunofharlem3 @ 11/24/14 11:17 PM
Where was I during this thread? Man, I just saw it. Oh well. Back to my beers and attribute edits....

Hopefully there is a Community Committee for offline play. That is where my editing comes in. I like EASHL but post edit in 14 with the full goalie and -30 edit sans patch, plays like a new game.

Bwiggy, thanks for the plug earlier. I just read through all the posts in this thread. Cool that EA is going to work with the fans. Fingers crossed for an offline Community. Hopefully they are tolerant of beers, rants and player edits.

# 44 mikeymayhem @ 11/25/14 07:12 PM
Im happy I made it, we now have a shot at having two NHL revamp guys make it wooo.

# 45 EASPORTSNHL @ 11/26/14 07:07 PM
Thanks again everyone for participating!

We have our two winners by the majority of votes:

Oohwayy
utp102

Congrats! We will be in touch soon!

Cheers,
EA NHL Team

# 46 bad_philanthropy @ 11/26/14 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EASPORTSNHL
Thanks again everyone for participating!

We have our two winners by the majority of votes:

Oohwayy
utp102

Congrats! We will be in touch soon!

Cheers,
EA NHL Team
Look, no offense, I had no idea who these posters were so I looked it up. They have three total posts combined on these boards. How is this supposed to represent the top 2 fans from the OS community? I've been around these boards in one form or another since 2002, and can recall a number of obscure users (sportsmats anyone), but these users' exploits in this community elude me.

I'm not saying the voting has been, uh, fiddled with, but let's be real here.

Can we please just send a revamped guy, bigwill33, and FlyingFinn or something?

# 47 MizzouRah @ 11/26/14 08:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
Look, no offense, I had no idea who these posters were so I looked it up. They have three total posts combined on these boards. How is this supposed to represent the top 2 fans from the OS community? I've been around these boards in one form or another since 2002, and can recall a number of obscure users (sportsmats anyone), but these users' exploits in this community elude me.

Maybe I'm reaching here.. but if you put both of their posts side by side, something seems fishy to me.. they both read the same, just different wording.

Can someone honestly tell me these two posters who I can't find any posting on the NHL forums beat out some of these vets at OS who are here posting each and every year on the NHL series?

# 48 TheKid40 @ 11/26/14 09:25 PM
If a revamped guy doesn't make the EA NHL Team, I'm going to be very disappointed. I've been checking this forum for the past 2 years or so and only recently decided to become a member of Operation Sports, and I have seen firsthand the amount of work and dedication all of the workers of the revamped team put in. Not sure what happened around the EASHL voting since I only just realized this thread, but in the future Simple Mathematics and the rest of the Revamped Team will have my vote for sure.

# 49 bad_philanthropy @ 11/26/14 09:48 PM
Yeah, so it seems like Oohwayy and utp102 are buddies and just rigged the survey. Obviously they're not members of the OS community in any way. I'm fine if they want to get selected through the EA forums, but not to represent this community.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheOohwayy/videos

https://www.youtube.com/user/UTP102/videos

Can we just conduct our own survey with the mods here at OS?

# 50 boxers @ 11/26/14 10:11 PM
Thanks for bringing this up. I just checked one of the reps and he joined in NOV 2014! I don't play EASHL but man is that a slap in the face to the OS community. Why bother posting this on here and saying that you are looking for someone to represent this community if you are going to pick 2 random guys with a Youtube channel.

I'm not saying that they aren't qualified/capable to provide useful input into improving EASHL. But for a team that has already lost a lot of points with this community, it seems like a poor idea to once again screw them.

I really did believe that the reason NHL 15 was so bad was due to a lack of resources. But now I'm starting to think it is much more likely to have been a MISallocation of resources due to bad leadership at the top.

If you know that you don't have the resources, don't try to bite off more than you can chew. If you want to rebuild your connection with the OS community, don't take 2 obviously unrepresentative representatives. Bad form EANHL, bad form.

/rant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy

# 51 AdamJones113 @ 11/27/14 03:14 AM
EA, frankly I am sickened by your choice of "OS members." In my mind, and as bad_philanthropy and boxers said, they are not members of the community.

It seems they are good friends. That may or may not be irrelevant—had I any confidence in their ability (said confidence could have been gained by actually posting well on this forum) this friendship would have been a good thing in my opinion—but it's something to keep in mind.

utp is focused on HUT. His application is ridden with contradictions, for example: "I would like to influence the competitive side of the game mode" but then closing with "I would like to just generally help make the game more fun for the casual user." I think the two are very different things and would require an entirely different server, further gashing expenses. And if the youtube part is the concern, the EA Forums filled that quota... and need I mention Johnny Superbman?

Oohwayy is also a youtuber. Again, EA Forums. While I have no quarrel with his application, I'm sure I would have endorsed it had he actually been a consistent OS member—which he is not, having ONE POST (as does utp) if we discount his double-post in this thread!

I've said my piece. I think I'm speaking for the most of the diehards here when pointing out these problems and really suggesting you add bigwill33 and/or a revamped guy as well. To not do so would be to incredibly diminish OS members' hope.

# 52 Simple Mathematics @ 11/27/14 08:08 AM
Bigwill... We have been silenced.

I like that idea of creating a poll on here. The title should be something like "To the OS members, who SHOULD have been selected to the Community Committee?" Who all should be on the poll? I can think of the following:

Bigwill
Simple Mathematics
mikeymayhem
Puckhead
AdamJones
MizzouRah
Bad Philanthropy
Cycloniac
Bwiggy

Anyone else? I'm really sorry if I missed you. Can't think of anymore off the top of my head.

# 53 AdamJones113 @ 11/27/14 09:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Mathematics
Bigwill... We have been silenced.

I like that idea of creating a poll on here. The title should be something like "To the OS members, who SHOULD have been selected to the Community Committee?" Who all should be on the poll? I can think of the following:

Bigwill
Simple Mathematics
mikeymayhem
Puckhead
AdamJones
MizzouRah
Bad Philanthropy
Cycloniac
Bwiggy

Anyone else? I'm really sorry if I missed you. Can't think of anymore off the top of my head.
Forgot shogun.

If it's just our poll, with no meaning, I'll vote for three people (no offense to anyone who I don't vote for, I just think these three would give diverse and helpful feedback):

Bigwill33
Simple Mathematics
shogunofharlem3

I would have signed up for this but of course this has to be the year I'm not in Canada. Maybe if there's a gameplay committee next year I'd try to go for goalies.

# 54 Cody_McCormick8 @ 11/27/14 10:46 AM
Break this down of all the OS applicants based on their applications:
bigwill33-"what might best suit me....on-ice game play."
I thought the main focus for this committee was for EASHL. If this was a gameplay committee he is a slam dunk, however it clearly isn't.

SensFan101-"I feel like I would be most helpful in terms of the presentation of EASHL."
Hmm I don't think Presentation is focused on in the committee. Maybe if their wasn't a presentation team they would hire him.

Oohwayy-"In my opinion, 6 vs 6 in EASHL is as close as it gets to simulating a real life experience to the great game of hockey."
I couldn't find any fault with his application. I like that he knows 6v6 in EASHL is the real way to play. Congrats on being selected.

Simple Mathematics-"I feel that other members of our OS community would have more constructive input than I would. Diehard EASHL fans should be the ones considered here."
Pretty much saying "I don't have constructive input. Don't put me in the vote." Why apply then?

target audience 18-"NHL 15 revolutionized the way the game behaved."
It definitely revolutionized game sales.

actionhank-"I've never played EASHL, unfortunately."
LOL so why apply for the EASHL Committee.

Deanstupidhead-"My favourite part of EASHL is playing with my buddy as he is in another city. Nobody can cycle the puck like us, so because of this we hate playing EASHL. We don't like to play with any other people."
Bragging that he is good at 2s. What an accomplishment!

mikeymayhem-"I haven't spent a awful lot of time playing in the EASHL"
Once again it's a EASHL committee. He had a good chance of making through based on the people that applied.

snc237-"I would especially like to talk about is gameplay in relation to user interaction and A.I."
The focus isn't on gameplay...

Pezell04x-"I think I could really help in the gameplay aspect of the mode."
See above.

TNKNGM-"I don't play EASHL - I focus on franchise versus the CPU opponent with everything aimed towards realistic feel and stats."
YOU DONT PLAY EASHL? WHY APPLY THEN?

utp102-"I know there is an audience out there for some competitive 6v6 hockey."
Recognizes that there is lots of people who want to play competitive 6's. Congrats.

bwiggy33-" I haven't played EASHL much the past few years. I would like to directly influence the AI and Be A GM."
EASHL committee

TacTixHD-"The part of the mode I would like to directly influence is the customization in EASHL."
Hard to find anything wrong with his application other then he wanted to focus on EASHL customization which I dont view as a high priority.

Calgaryflames82-"The game modes I would like to have influence over is GM mode and Be a Pro (or live the life)."

tbayjordan-"I haven't played much EASHL"
No comment.

drog1602-Not enough detail to quote anything.
If he had some more detail in his application he might of had a chance.

FBeaule04-"I would like to have a say on AI and the way the game plays overall."
Gameplay

Basically Oohwayy and utp102 were the best candidates. The community did well voting them in. TacTixHD wouldn't have been a bad candidate either. I like the selections made.

# 55 AdamJones113 @ 11/27/14 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody_McCormick8
I thought the main focus for this committee was for EASHL. If this was a gameplay committee he is a slam dunk, however it clearly isn't.

SensFan101-"I feel like I would be most helpful in terms of the presentation of EASHL."
Hmm I don't think Presentation is focused on in the committee. Maybe if their wasn't a presentation team they would hire him.

Oohwayy-"In my opinion, 6 vs 6 in EASHL is as close as it gets to simulating a real life experience to the great game of hockey."
I couldn't find any fault with his application. I like that he knows 6v6 in EASHL is the real way to play. Congrats on being selected.

Simple Mathematics-"I feel that other members of our OS community would have more constructive input than I would. Diehard EASHL fans should be the ones considered here."
Pretty much saying "I don't have constructive input. Don't put me in the vote." Why apply then?

Deanstupidhead-"My favourite part of EASHL is playing with my buddy as he is in another city. Nobody can cycle the puck like us, so because of this we hate playing EASHL. We don't like to play with any other people."

Once again it's a EASHL committee. He had a good chance of making through based on the people that applied.

snc237-"I would especially like to talk about is gameplay in relation to user interaction and A.I."

See above.

TNKNGM-"I don't play EASHL - I focus on franchise versus the CPU opponent with everything aimed towards realistic feel and stats."

Recognizes that there is lots of people who want to play competitive 6's. Congrats.

bwiggy33-" I haven't played EASHL much the past few years. I would like to directly influence the AI and Be A GM."
EASHL committee

TacTixHD-"The part of the mode I would like to directly influence is the customization in EASHL."
Hard to find anything wrong with his application other then he wanted to focus on EASHL customization which I dont view as a high priority.

Calgaryflames82-"The game modes I would like to have influence over is GM mode and Be a Pro (or live the life)."

No comment.

FBeaule04-"I would like to have a say on AI and the way the game plays overall."
Gameplay

Basically Oohwayy and utp102 were the best candidates. The community did well voting them in. TacTixHD wouldn't have been a bad candidate either. I like the selections made.

I may be speaking for myself, but I don't know a single OSer who voted for the winners. As I said, their points may have merit but—as OS was already getting the short end of the stick with half the winners the EA Forums got—I think I may have wanted someone who really represents the community and hasn't just one post on the site.

Maybe I'm complaining too much; other people definitely thought their applications were the best. That's what I love about OS, you can express your opinion.

# 56 Cletus @ 11/27/14 11:00 AM
I think this puts the final nail in the coffin for any hopes posters had for this series. They just don't listen to OS on anything. All the years of detailed posts, wishlists, CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, scientific breakdown, etc. They don't care. So 2 guys with an overall of 0 and another one who joined around the same time are the best choices for this? Fiddy or Bigwill don't play enough EASHL to be considered? Instead it's the same old youtube guys.

I guess the vote was just to get people on a positive note about the game next year. What happens when there's minimal changes and the latest mode is "coach" mode where you're watching a full game that doesn't call penalties correctly, pucks still going through sticks, levitating goalies and no neutral zone pressure.

It's sad but I'm really enjoying this years game. Even when my 2 defenseman chase the puck behind the net and the AI leaves a guy wide open back door because my forwards are all still on the point.

# 57 Cletus @ 11/27/14 11:23 AM
I'm sure it is going to get deleted, but here's what I posted on the EA forums under the topic.

AFAIK, there's only 4 hardcore EASHL guys on OS. 2 didn't apply, but guys that don't post at OS apply and win? How was that even fair? I'd rather no one from OS goes than some guys who have a dozen posts win. That's just insulting to the community at OS on top of all the times our well thought out wishlists and gameplay concerns get ignored. But we get new HUT cards, we get pucks flying 20 feet in the air and another year of no neutral zone pressure. We're all adults on OS and if no one met your criteria just say that instead of sending 2 guys that might not have made it if they didn't apply at OS. Then again communication and EA Canada seem mutually exclusive.

# 58 Simple Mathematics @ 11/27/14 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody_McCormick8

See above.

EASHL committee

No comment.

Gameplay

I didn't apply. I just don't like that people who are actually in our community aren't going to be represented. The reason I was put on EA's poll is probably because everyone "liked" my response and people kept saying they want Bigwill and a Revamped guy. I took this as a huge compliment from the OS community and a sign that they appreciate my and the revamped team's work.

I just feel bad for the OS community that we won't be represented well. And like I said in my response, if there is a meeting about rosters or BaGM, I would love to be a part of it.

# 59 bigwill33 @ 11/27/14 03:11 PM
Wow. Just wow.

First off, before I get into anything here I want to really take a moment and say thank you to everyone on here that thought of me and supported me for this. It does mean a lot that you guys think so highly of myself. I'm not a roster guy or ratings guy, and I am not even really an offline guy. The main reason I thought I would be a good consideration is because I am primarily a club and OTP guy. Logging well over 1000 online games each and every year since the feature was introduced.

That being said, I am not upset that I wasn't chosen. I felt that any one here could have done a pretty good job if they had the opportunity to do so. The biggest thing for me was that OS was going to get to be a voice and really have a chance to make a difference finally. I was excited to be able to let whoever got to go what I felt was needed to start turning this franchise around for the better.

But that really didn't happen as we all know. Nothing against the guys that were chosen because they may be great choices, but we truly have no idea what they are about because they are not a part of our community. It seems as though they joined here specifically for this and with their youtube following were able to get the votes. Smart move on their part and we really can't begrudge them for doing so.

However, what stinks for the rest of us is that now we at OS once again had promises made and something dangled under our noses. We followed and obliged only to get the rawest of deals, yet again.

And there-in lies exactly what is wrong with EA and the NHL team there. I sat back for weeks and watched after this thread was first made. I wanted to see how much follow-up and communication we would have from EA in regards to specifics on this. As usual there was nothing. We had the original post on 11/04 stating the first event would be held in "late November". And we didn't hear another peep until 11/21. Which, in my mind, pretty much is late November. At that time the the "official voting" started. And it wasn't in-house as probably many of expected, but was off-site and with little fanfare or mention of it here at OS.

Now I don't know about the rest of you, but I didn't expect to win. However, seeing how many people liked my entry and how many posters here were mentioning my name I felt that it might be a good idea to perhaps start looking into it. So I did my due diligence and started letting people know that I may have to leave town for a few days. Not sure if EA realizes it, but flying half way across North America on a moment's notice isn't idea for a lot of working people, or family people, or students... or anyone with a life. Not to mention during the holiday season. So bringing this up to bosses and family is kind of a big deal. Securing a passport for an international flight is also a big deal for some and is something that cannot simply be done in a few weeks.

Bottom line, this was handled very poorly, in my opinion. And it doesn't take a trip to Vancouver to say this; This post and its implementation is representative of exactly everything that is currently wrong with EA Vancouver in regards to the NHL series. The poor communication (even changing the date to December with little notice or mention). The lackluster development and organization of the event and program itself. And the horrible implementation of how it all went down with allowing outsiders to come in and take what was being offered to this close knit community. All of this leaves very sour tastes in many of our mouths and is a reflection of your company as a whole. It is almost what we have come to expect and what some of us were actually hoping we could hope to change with a program such as this.

As I already stated, I am not angered or upset in not being the one chosen. I am just downtrodden for this community that it will not have a true voice in the matter. Not a liaison to work between us and the team producing our most beloved of games. And none of this would have really even been a thought in our minds had this post and position not been promised to us, the COMMUNITY at Operation Sports.

# 60 AdamJones113 @ 11/27/14 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwill33
Wow. Just wow.

First off, before I get into anything here I want to really take a moment and say thank you to everyone on here that thought of me and supported me for this. It does mean a lot that you guys think so highly of myself. I'm not a roster guy or ratings guy, and I am not even really an offline guy. The main reason I thought I would be a good consideration is because I am primarily a club and OTP guy. Logging well over 1000 online games each and every year since the feature was introduced.

That being said, I am not upset that I wasn't chosen. I felt that any one here could have done a pretty good job if they had the opportunity to do so. The biggest thing for me was that OS was going to get to be a voice and really have a chance to make a difference finally. I was excited to be able to let whoever got to go what I felt was needed to start turning this franchise around for the better.

But that really didn't happen as we all know. Nothing against the guys that were chosen because they may be great choices, but we truly have no idea what they are about because they are not a part of our community. It seems as though they joined here specifically for this and with their youtube following were able to get the votes. Smart move on their part and we really can't begrudge them for doing so.

However, what stinks for the rest of us is that now we at OS once again had promises made and something dangled under our noses. We followed and obliged only to get the rawest of deals, yet again.

And there-in lies exactly what is wrong with EA and the NHL team there. I sat back for weeks and watched after this thread was first made. I wanted to see how much follow-up and communication we would have from EA in regards to specifics on this. As usual there was nothing. We had the original post on 11/04 stating the first event would be held in "late November". And we didn't hear another peep until 11/21. Which, in my mind, pretty much is late November. At that time the the "official voting" started. And it wasn't in-house as probably many of expected, but was off-site and with little fanfare or mention of it here at OS.

Now I don't know about the rest of you, but I didn't expect to win. However, seeing how many people liked my entry and how many posters here were mentioning my name I felt that it might be a good idea to perhaps start looking into it. So I did my due diligence and started letting people know that I may have to leave town for a few days. Not sure if EA realizes it, but flying half way across North America on a moment's notice isn't idea for a lot of working people, or family people, or students... or anyone with a life. Not to mention during the holiday season. So bringing this up to bosses and family is kind of a big deal. Securing a passport for an international flight is also a big deal for some and is something that cannot simply be done in a few weeks.

Bottom line, this was handled very poorly, in my opinion. And it doesn't take a trip to Vancouver to say this; This post and its implementation is representative of exactly everything that is currently wrong with EA Vancouver in regards to the NHL series. The poor communication (even changing the date to December with little notice or mention). The lackluster development and organization of the event and program itself. And the horrible implementation of how it all went down with allowing outsiders to come in and take what was being offered to this close knit community. All of this leaves very sour tastes in many of our mouths and is a reflection of your company as a whole. It is almost what we have come to expect and what some of us were actually hoping we could hope to change with a program such as this.

As I already stated, I am not angered or upset in not being the one chosen. I am just downtrodden for this community that it will not have a true voice in the matter. Not a liaison to work between us and the team producing our most beloved of games. And none of this would have really even been a thought in our minds had this post and position not been promised to us, the COMMUNITY at Operation Sports.
bigwill for pres! Don't let up yet, chances are EA will see this well-warranted backlash and as an attempt to re-win our faith will bring on you or Simple or someone. Though, as you stated perfectly above, the mere hope of that is almost pointless with the abysmal communication EA has provided.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.