Home
MLB 14 The Show News Post

MLB 15 The Show is surely well on its way to being delivered to gamers next Spring, but that doesn’t mean we can’t add our own input on what we’d like to see in next year’s game.

In many cases, MLB 14 The Show was a pretty well executed game with a few notable flaws that held it back from true greatness. The shortlist of fixes for next year seem obvious, but there are also several gameplay issues we would love to see tidied up before next spring.

Here’s what we’d like to see fixed heading into next year:
  1. Online Play - Because this just has to work next year doesn’t it? This year was closer than ever, but it still wasn’t a great experience by any means.
  2. Commentary - The current commentary team isn’t bad, just stale — and their lines are repeating a bit too often for our tastes. Replacing the current guys is one option, having them add a lot more lines is another one.
  3. Better Management In Franchise Mode - The franchise mode is great, but there are a few items missing I really wish were there. Depth charts is one, but also better feedback on what you are doing as you do it. The experience is fine if you are a baseball savvy guy, but if you don’t know much about how the roster rules work in baseball you will almost certainly be lost guaranteed.
  4. More accuracy in stadiums, jerseys, etc. - The Show on PS3 was always above and beyond on the little things. Nowadays, it seems to be right with the rest of the pack on many of those little things, so another leap in attention to detail would be amazing.
  5. All of those gameplay enhancements - You can list what you’d love to see in the comments. Things like even more fielding animations, more hit variety, etc. These are all no brainers and should be in each new game, but it doesn’t hurt to demand it.
  6. Bonus: Create-A-Stadium. Seriously, I’m a ballpark junkie and I know I’m not the only one. Giving users the ability to create custom stadiums, especially with enough options to recreate many past great ballparks (or build a new ballpark for your franchise) would be an amazing addition we’ve not really ever seen in a baseball game.
What do you want to see in MLB 15 The Show?

Game: MLB 14 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 12 - View All
MLB 14 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 21 TypicalPhenom @ 11/06/14 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyflame21
I like all of the above ideas. Mine are fairly simple.

1. Must have an Archive System. A way to look at previous seasons played. I'd like to be able to see things that we achieved from the 2014 season, even when I'm playing in the 2018 season.

2. Records! This is a MUST HAVE! In baseball statistics matter to people more so than perhaps any other sport. It would be nice to see the top 25 all-time leaders in each category. How great would it be to chase down the records with that hotshot rookie you draft. Chasing records and being able to compare your players to the greats is how depth is created. This is a great way to have a far more deep franchise experience from time to time. It would also be great to have team specific records as well, but I'll start simple with just the MLB. I'd even take just having them open slotted to be filled with our current seasons.

3. Definitely need to fix the players "baseball card" why is there only 2 years of their history. It should be designed very much like a bubble gum baseball card. teams played, games, hits, etc. It also should show minor league stats also. "High Heat Baseball" on PS2 had this and it really helped with the depth. When I would make a call-up to the majors I would look at which player was having a successful season... not just which player rated higher. Also be nice if it had an achievement page attached where it would show how many gold gloves, batting titles, all-stars, MVP / CY awards. Just another nice little thing to add to the depth.

4. Control of retiring players! Nothing drives me nuts more than this. How does a player retire due to "Poor FA Market" before the free agency period begins?? I signed Grady Sizemore a month into the year and he hit .320 / 18 / 83 the rest of the year for me. Then abruptly retired following the season due to "Poor FA Market." I definitely wanted him back and he was 30 years old. Let us control when a player can retire or at least approve it. Losing players way before the should really drags the experience down.

5. Online League... same as the OFFLINE experience. I'd love it to be fully customizable much like the NBA2k15 League version. setting how many games. teams, injuries, etc. this would be fantastic.

6. Accurate contracts. Understand there is a rumor that they can't have accurate contracts, so either make everything half of the true value OR Allow us to edit their salaries to make them accurate (I Prefer this)

1-3 for sure. I hate being in free agency and not being able to see a players, say, stolen bases for example. I had to create a separate save at the end of every AAA and MLB season and go back to reference them to see players histories. Unacceptable. And I would definitely like to look back and see how many times a guy was an all-star or how many championships he had won.

4 & 5 I never had a problem with. 6 would be definitely be nice as well.

# 22 ey215 @ 11/06/14 02:23 PM
1. Commentary: While I think it's improved and changing broadcasters would be counterproductive there's room for growth here. I think the underlying system is more of a problem than the announcers themselves. The issues I mainly have is that baseball commentary is more like telling a story and that is missing. Each at bat feels disconnected from the game as a whole and each game feels disconnected from what else is going on in the league or how the teams/players got into the current situation in the first place.

2. Presentation: I'm someone that likes the slower pace of games so I don't play with quick counts and don't really X through cut scenes. The Show leaves cut scenes on one thing for too long. There should be room for short replays of the previous pitch, or cuts from batter to pitcher to runners like there are in real life. While not really speeding up the pace it would feel more authentic and interesting.

3. Franchise Improvements: Stats, oh my god, stats. WAR, wOBA, etc. and track them from year to year. We're well past the 1940s, let's track more from year to year than the Triple Crown stats + steals. CPU roster handling needs a lot of work as well. In next gen shouldn't we be able to store spring training and postseason stats instead of wiping them as well? Give us more splits!

4. Franchise Immersion: While I understand the technical limitation of why we're not likely to see a highlight show (maybe ever), there's enough to talk about in baseball without showing anything on the screen that a MLB Now type show could work. Even something like EA did with Tony Bruno back in the day with a radio show playing over the menus would be a huge improvement. In general, anything that helps the player feel more immersed in a real league instead of just playing game after game in a bubble would be very welcome.

5. Stadium Experience: Two versions of the retractable roof stadiums is important. I'd personally like to see fans in the Park at the Park at Petco (but I'm biased ).

6. Animations: I don't have anything specific to say but a general improvement would be great. The Japanese style swing still needs some work as well. I think it's time to get some umps in to mo-cap and update the umpire animations as well. Speaking of umpires, for the love of god fix their positioning!

7. Uniforms: Update them throughout the year with patches, etc. I know hands are probably tied by MLB here, but that would be nice. Persuade them that people want authenticity!

# 23 asu666 @ 11/06/14 02:24 PM
1. Replace Steve "Psycho" Lyons
2. Add the Owner mode-like feature removed after MLB 12 back in
3. Put a lot more detail into the stadiums and backdrops
4. Put in stadium exteriors

# 24 strawberryshortcake @ 11/06/14 02:40 PM
1. Situational, contextual awareness. Urgency animations. This applies to both the CPU and Player. The characters need to recognize situations, better. Nonchalant animations need to be either minimized or removed, or better yet implement more urgency animations. Turning double plays needs more urgency. Outfielder needs to be able to throw to bases with more urgency when situation calls for it. All this applies to the CPU as well, so it's not simply a matter of user input error. Even when user preloads throws where urgency is required, often times, nonchalant animations would trigger. Situational contextual awareness. Urgency animations.

2. Facial scans. Variable, diverse player models. Body proportions.

3. Tutorial, practice mode for situational base running, (NOT RTTS mode training). I want franchise, season base running practice mode. Give me 1st and 3rd. 1st and 2nd, etc. Often times, I really have no clue what to press in certain situations. Give us a practice mode, so we'll be more confident in running bases or stealing bases, or holding up the guy on 1st and tagging up at 3rd. Etc. Etc.

# 25 SDwinder @ 11/06/14 02:47 PM
Would love a separate Classic era mode with old stadiums and teams and players from the various decades. Really put some effort into the player likeness and animation. This was missing in past The Show efforts in doing this. Maybe get Vin Scully or another classic announcer to do broadcast work like in that great game Old Time Baseball from mid '90s that had Mel Allen, Curt Howdy, and one other I can't remember.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Time_Baseball

Also give us a better version of Forbes Field, not a really early one, but the one from 1960.

Now with Stadium editor and the ability to share with community, guys could really build the stadiums out. So Sony SD team could put majority of focus on player likenesses and animations, and presentation.

# 26 SDwinder @ 11/06/14 02:52 PM
Curt Gowdy, not Howdy,

# 27 CrazyBruin12 @ 11/06/14 03:00 PM
i wish they had real contracts for the players or the ability to put them in are self

# 28 xCULLO @ 11/06/14 03:46 PM
- More swing animations and follow throughs
- Mid-Season contract extensions
- More realistic draft prospects and random players
- Trade Finder (similar to NBA 2k)

# 29 Jaystar8083 @ 11/06/14 04:45 PM
I just don't understand why they don't have a slew of stats especially for the game of baseball. Just adds to the immersion. Sucks being deep into a franchise and seeing basic stats. Kills it for me a little.

# 30 burjeffton @ 11/06/14 05:12 PM
Love reading this! It gets me stoked for '15. My additions/thoughts:

Commentary
The engine is designed for old hardware and needs a revamp. More flow and less static dead air with a predictable statement after each play. MLB Network integration would add another layer of realism to the broadcast/commentary. COSTAS! COSTAS!

Stadium Environment
The crowds should deplete from the upper decks during blowouts and meaningless games. I know MLB has a say in this, but go for realism.

Spring Training
This is an area the game could really add a lot of gameplay. Mini games, Coaching, etc. I feel SCEA has some real potential to be developed. Anyone who travels to Spring Training knows what a unique environment it is and how different it is from normal MLB play.

Player Personalization
Especially for RTTS, the opportunity to choose HR Celebrations, Signature pre-swing rituals, etc really attach the gamer to the in-game action.

Player aging
In RTTS and other modes, how cool would it be to see guys get gray hairs as they age... or more wrinkles? A little thing, but could add a lot of realism for those of us that play years and years into their career/franchise.

# 31 EmpireWF @ 11/06/14 05:18 PM
Please fix playoff rosters.

A playoff eligible player comes off the DL in the days before the start of the Division Series (the guy who replaced him on the 25-man roster in September is not playoff eligible) and it's impossible to add him to the active roster. So, gotta go in with 24 players.

# 32 ricket @ 11/06/14 05:35 PM
Improvements I would like to see include:

Graphics:
- Improvement to frame rate

Presentation/Animations
- During night games have the windows in the buildings that are in the background light
up. They currently look abandoned at night.
- Enhancements to 7th inning stretch - extended and stadium specific. Crowd cut scenes.
- Stadium specific cut scenes like close up on the fountains in KC or fans in canoes in SF
or monuments park in NY. Also, it would be great to have stadium aerial view or cut
scene of activity taking place outside of stadium during opening scenes of game
- Highlights of key plays that have occurred mid way through the game (ex 5th inning)
- Inclusion and option to have batter name (and basic stats) remain on during entire
batting sequence along with pitcher name (and basic stats) remain on at all times like
many of the baseball games used to display
- On that same note, option to have fielder name displayed when player has ball. Also,
option for base runner's name to also be displayed
- All mascots included. Don't recall seeing any mascots
- More stadium specific crowd chants and atmosphere
- National anthems briefly played before going into in game action

Uniforms to be Added
- Tampa Bay Devil Rays old Green uniforms

# 33 radney @ 11/06/14 05:43 PM
I know these things don't mean anything towards gameplay but I would like to see the different times of day. From early afternoon starts at 1 would be bright and fade towards late afternoon. The late afternoon starts at 4 with the lights starting to come on mid way through the game into early evening. And the night games fading into complete night sky. In this department is where the 2K Series shined.

I would also like to see changing weather during games where it could be overcast at the start and clear up to be sunny by game's end or vice versa. Wind blowing light or harder or maybe changing directions like it would before rain.

Also the infield dirt changes to being dry or damp along with the foul line and batter's box chalk lines fades out as players slide across the plate. Little subtle things like that can bring a game to a completely whole different level.

# 34 redsox4evur @ 11/06/14 05:54 PM
Also better trade logic...AGAIN!!!!

Supposedly fix this year. Still seeing guys like Lindor traded for insert crappy middle reliever here.

# 35 MCGREGOR__ @ 11/06/14 06:29 PM
Needs customizable draft classes…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 36 KennyJ1976 @ 11/06/14 06:45 PM
I say it's time to redue everything graphics wise, get as far away from that PS3 build as possible. New player models, updated stadiums,especially the LED ribbons, retractable roofs and more interactive ball boys. It's also time for a new hitting and pitching interface. Actually I like the hitting but find the pitching pretty bland. Maybe get something like 2K had, they're not using it anymore. Bring back umpire crews with names and have each guy have different strike zones. That way they can finally add player and manager ejections for arguing balls and strikes. Update the uniforms, some teams have been missing certain jerseys for a few years now, (Brewers home navy blue jersey for example). New cutscenes for batters, pitchers, and mascots, and finally name brand equipment, i.e. shoes, gloves, bats, balls, etc. Every other sports game has name brand equipment, it's time for baseball to join the party.

# 37 Lisac @ 11/06/14 07:40 PM
Seeing the picture of Wrigley I hope they have the new Reno's
Please-like in MVP, 1 button baserunning
Have wind matter again. Had wind cranked all the way up and at Wrigley with wind blowing out the ball NEVER carried out like it should.
Better minor league stadiums and more
Relocation
Create a stadium, Create a stadium and create a stadium!

# 38 redsox4evur @ 11/06/14 07:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyJ1976
I say it's time to redue everything graphics wise, get as far away from that PS3 build as possible. New player models, updated stadiums,especially the LED ribbons, retractable roofs and more interactive ball boys. It's also time for a new hitting and pitching interface. Actually I like the hitting but find the pitching pretty bland. Maybe get something like 2K had, they're not using it anymore. Bring back umpire crews with names and have each guy have different strike zones. That way they can finally add player and manager ejections for arguing balls and strikes. Update the uniforms, some teams have been missing certain jerseys for a few years now, (Brewers home navy blue jersey for example). New cutscenes for batters, pitchers, and mascots, and finally name brand equipment, i.e. shoes, gloves, bats, balls, etc. Every other sports game has name brand equipment, it's time for baseball to join the party.
This will only happen if the team updates the Style Guide. Because that is what SCEA uses for jerseys

# 39 saintloue28 @ 11/06/14 07:45 PM
CREATE A TEAM!!!!! Build is already in place.(Diamond Dynasty)

# 40 markprior22 @ 11/06/14 07:59 PM
Put major efforts into offline franchise. Was so disappointing this year that all the franchise work went into online. We were then told we could just play solo online franchises. However, when you do that you find that AI teams keep starting the same pitchers over and over. Really sad that it wasn't fixed this year.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.