Home
MLB 14 The Show News Post

MLB 15 The Show is surely well on its way to being delivered to gamers next Spring, but that doesn’t mean we can’t add our own input on what we’d like to see in next year’s game.

In many cases, MLB 14 The Show was a pretty well executed game with a few notable flaws that held it back from true greatness. The shortlist of fixes for next year seem obvious, but there are also several gameplay issues we would love to see tidied up before next spring.

Here’s what we’d like to see fixed heading into next year:
  1. Online Play - Because this just has to work next year doesn’t it? This year was closer than ever, but it still wasn’t a great experience by any means.
  2. Commentary - The current commentary team isn’t bad, just stale — and their lines are repeating a bit too often for our tastes. Replacing the current guys is one option, having them add a lot more lines is another one.
  3. Better Management In Franchise Mode - The franchise mode is great, but there are a few items missing I really wish were there. Depth charts is one, but also better feedback on what you are doing as you do it. The experience is fine if you are a baseball savvy guy, but if you don’t know much about how the roster rules work in baseball you will almost certainly be lost guaranteed.
  4. More accuracy in stadiums, jerseys, etc. - The Show on PS3 was always above and beyond on the little things. Nowadays, it seems to be right with the rest of the pack on many of those little things, so another leap in attention to detail would be amazing.
  5. All of those gameplay enhancements - You can list what you’d love to see in the comments. Things like even more fielding animations, more hit variety, etc. These are all no brainers and should be in each new game, but it doesn’t hurt to demand it.
  6. Bonus: Create-A-Stadium. Seriously, I’m a ballpark junkie and I know I’m not the only one. Giving users the ability to create custom stadiums, especially with enough options to recreate many past great ballparks (or build a new ballpark for your franchise) would be an amazing addition we’ve not really ever seen in a baseball game.
What do you want to see in MLB 15 The Show?

Game: MLB 14 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 12 - View All
MLB 14 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 161 Jeffrey Smith @ 12/19/14 10:31 PM
Better trade logic. Too often a first place team trades away their best player for a prospect.
More accurate salaries. Players like Ryan Howard or A-Rod should be virtually untradeable because of inflated salaries and deflated production.
Better manager models. eg. John Gibbons and John Farrell look nothing close to the real men.

# 162 LashtonBryth @ 12/20/14 12:33 AM
Stats need to be taken more seriously. When I start a new franchise, I should be given the option to wipe all historical records clean and start my league from zero or import historical stats for the league. I should be able to see where my shortstop ranks on the single season list of doubles in my franchise's history, the league history, or my user history. A small deal should be made on screen when I approach or break personal, team, or league records for a game, season, career, etc. I should be able to view another user on my friends list that plays MLB the show and see what his best RTTS AAA average is for a single season or a career. You guys should be doing so much more than you are in this area.

# 163 MauerMorneau09 @ 12/20/14 11:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlblover15
Manager Of The Year Awards!!

Minor league players of the year awards

come back player of the year awards
I'd also enjoy Weekly and Monthly awards like 2k does.

# 164 Black59Razr @ 12/20/14 02:37 PM
I'll just bring up one issue. Because, if you can fix this, it will be such a huge game changer, that nothing else will really matter, because you may have to re-think everything else. What is that one issue, you ask? It's an issue I have brought up several times over the years, but has still yet to be addressed. And that issue is outfielder ability. If you could ever edit their ability to catch so many balls hit in the air, you could, in turn, lower the amount of balls in play to a more realistic amount. You could lower the amount of hard hit balls to a more realistic amount. Who knows what else would happen once you put outfielders in the game with realistic skill sets. Look at the statistics of Total Zone Runs or Defensive WAR in regards to OF. Those stats reward how much ground you cover. It's not about speed. Speed, in The Show, is all you need to cover ground.

In The Show, every outfielder is Neo from the Matrix. The second the ball leaves the bat, they are already moving in the right direction. Yes, there are canned animations of outfielders taking a wrong first step. That happens 1 out of 100 times though. It needs to happen more often. Also, it needs to be tied into their ability in the outfield. If I put a catcher in the OF, he needs to make a bad read a very high percentage of the time. Plus, on line drives right at the OF, the OF should be freezing or taking a step back almost every single time. I feel like a broken record when I say this, but look at the top OF plays of any given year. Then, look at the routes those OF's take. You will see that they are far from perfect.

In The Show, 100% of the routes OF's take to a ball, regardless of skill, are the best route to a ball you will ever see in your life.

Why does Bruce Bochy take Michael Morse out of LF in the 8th inning in put in Gregor Blanco? In The Show, you would never do that. Reason being, once a hard hit ball is hit into LF in The Show, the last thing you think about it, who is in LF? I hope they can get to that ball.

Here is an article about what I am talking about. I pulled this from the article:

"Even with Gregor Blanco around to replace Morse in the late innings, [Morse's] defense was so poor this season that it has even arguably overshadowed his offensive production."

That statement has no truth in the world of The Show.

Check out this video as an example. That was literally the first video I viewed on mlb.com. I could find you a thousand more if you like.

No player in the last 25 years, with the exception of Andrew Jones, had the ability to run, in a perfect line, to the majority of flyballs. Yet, in The Show, I can create a player with an OF ability of zero, and he'll do it 100% of the time.

I ask you to sit down and have a meeting about this. Show this video and all the OFs flaws. Then, listen to the audio, and how much the announcers praise the play. Watch that video again and count how many mis-steps he makes.

His jump is later than any jump ever seen in The Show. His first step is in the wrong direction, never before seen on The Show. He corrects his route, but it's still not perfect. Again, never before seen on The Show. Then, when he makes the catch, he is still out of perfect position. AND THAT WAS AN AMAZING PLAY!

The Show's routine outfield plays put real life amazing plays to shame. I'm no programmer, and I've heard it before, that this is the hardest thing to re-create in a game; imperfections. How do you tell a program, that knows exactly what to do, to do it in an imperfect manner. I'm not sure how that can get accomplished. But what I do know is, once you get player's to run imperfect routes, based on a 1-100 skill level, then, you will start seeing a difference in how many putouts one outfielder can make compared to another outfielder. Then, the user will have to start making decisions based on an outfielders offensive AND defensive ability. Now, you did overcome this with infielders. A few years ago, defense didn't matter for any player. Now, the 2B, 3B and SS defensive ability is important. 1B range and C ability are still non factors, but that's for a different post. Let's first get these OF's straightened out.

I know you guys are listening. A few years back, I used to always complain about the bunting system. How hard it was to see the ball. There were a couple years where I suggested using a see-through, Mike Tyson's punch out, style of batter. And you did it. Great job! Now, take this free consultation, and go make it into a better product as well.

# 165 robjoye10 @ 12/21/14 04:21 PM
The thing that I had always wanted is "supposedly" finally in the game, which is the name brand cleats, gloves, and batting gloves. Here are a few things I would like to see:

1.) CREATE A STADIUM: It gets old playing in the same old stadium year in and year out. I was so excited to finally have Marlins Park last year just because it was something new. If you give us create a stadium then we can make a new one every time we get tired of the same ones. It doesn't seem like that could be that hard to include.

2.) FRANCHISE RELOCATION: Take a page out of Maddens book with the relocation settings. Let the developers put in the available cities and logos and either let us create our uniforms, or even create a set of uniforms to choose from for each city like Madden does. If this was a option also include the ability to upload a logo. It would make the game so much more interesting and probably would increase sales just from the standpoint of people who may not necessarily like baseball may love the game just because of the custimization abilities.

3.) REVAMP ROAD TO THE SHOW MODE: Nobody does career mode like 2k does in NBA 2K15. The cut scenes they use to show the interactions between player, coaches, and front office members. Impliment something like that in the Road To The Show mode. Allow players to be able to earn coins and buy clothes and accessories like 2K15.

The game is basically the same year in and year out with the graphics being the only difference. It needs a change and some revamping in some areas and it could make a world of difference for this game.

# 166 BravesBoy @ 12/21/14 06:23 PM
Im just hoping Diamond Dynasty will take some big steps forward. I personally do not enjoy the current structure it has and i feel this mode could be so much more and could really be a mode i spend time with if it has the aspects i hope for.

# 167 countryboy @ 12/21/14 06:57 PM
There are a lot of great suggestions in this thread.

# 168 TattooedEvil @ 12/22/14 04:21 AM
anyone think that we get a relocation or create a stadium/renovate stadium mode this year? Seems like it woulda been one of the first things mentioned to get the long time gamers excited. Anyone else think this?

# 169 thorpedo66 @ 01/11/15 03:43 PM
I mainly play RTTS. The one thing that has bugged me the last few years is a transaction page. Where it shows trades, send ups and send downs. I would like to know why I'm getting put on the bench maybe for someone struggling sent down and replaces me as the starter or someone sent up making me the starter. I think I remember right and we had this before but I can't remember the last year it was included.

# 170 CubFan23 @ 01/11/15 04:13 PM
expanded stats
I would like to see the teams the player played for each year as well as being able to see different levels at once. The way it is now you can't see a players stats once you Promote/demote him, you can only see them once he's promoted/demoted back to previous level

team chemistry
Would like to see some sort of chemistry meter that is affected by trading players and free agent signings. If you decide to blow up your team and rebuild by trading away players the bar will drop and will rise once the new players are together for some time, this would be good especially for newly acquired ss or 2b to get a double play combination working smoothly.

And last but not least, more of a defensive penalty for playing guys at a different position

One more, a better league news feature, would like to see headlines or something to that effect showing hot/cold teams, players, streaks, injuries etc..

# 171 DodgerFanatic2K3 @ 01/11/15 05:08 PM
I miss being able to start a Season or Franchise with rosters/lineups I set without having the computer change them after spring training

It used to be so easy to sim a quick season before they added spring training

# 172 tessl @ 01/11/15 09:24 PM
This isn't directed any anybody in particular, just an overall observation. Some people tend to focus on what I would consider the obscure and ignore the obvious depending upon how they play the game.

For example some sabermetrics guys noticed there were too few chased pitches and the devs changed plate discipline to create more chased pitches but in the process created 14 outs and only 1 hit per game on chased pitches resulting in an unrealistic number of low scoring games in manage mode - default sliders. I played a full season and my team was last in every hitting category, first in every pitching category. Pretty obvious runs are too low but rarely does anybody mention that.

Others focus on rosters, uniforms, haircuts, and a long list of other stuff and the developers chase all of that stuff - and release a game where runs are too low.

Not a criticism, just an observation.

By the way, I notice vendors selling food and drinks but I don't see any fans eating or drinking. :-) It would be great if they would fix that.

Oh, and I see dust when a ball is in play and fielders or base runners kick up some dust but I don't see any dust from wind. It would be great if they would fix that too. :-)

And, the base coaches never give any signs to the batter or base runners. It would be great if they would fix that. :-)

Just kidding - it is a good game, run totals need to be fixed. If not then the lack of butterflies and birds in the game would be a great addition. :-)

# 173 Scooter3 @ 01/12/15 12:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Of The Year
I hate to beat a dead horse but my wishlist:

a) rosters to be carried over same as franchise

b) edit names of coaches, managers & umps

c) season to be customized to reduce teams to 26, or 24, or 16, or whatever one chooses

d) custom schedules, get rid of interleague play, choice of 154 game schedule & 162 games

e) editable contracts on money & length, though I have read somewhere MLB doesn't want that.

f) ability to move teams back to original cities.

These are great choices. I sat 2014 out but this would give me motivation.

# 174 Flaxseed Oil @ 01/12/15 09:04 AM
  • Revamped pitching animations
  • Stat tracking for every player, including their minor league stats and what teams they were on. If I trade for a player in July, I want to see his stats with only my team, as well.
  • More than 1 uniform template, so some teams dont have numbers so low on their backs - I.E. Yankees and Red Sox.
  • The ability to draft players and immediately put them in the minors, rather than wait until the next season.

# 175 Shaffer26 @ 01/18/15 07:44 PM
New animations/physics.

Create a stadium- give us something similar to the golf club's create a course and I would spend a TON of time in it.

Domes with open and closed option.

Better scouting options in franchise. Also being able to edit draftees, or just being able to import draft classes.

Advanced stats like WAR, FIP etc.

# 176 tnixen @ 01/18/15 09:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgerFanatic2K3
I miss being able to start a Season or Franchise with rosters/lineups I set without having the computer change them after spring training

It used to be so easy to sim a quick season before they added spring training
In my opinion Spring training mode should be removed from "season mode" and should only be available for Franchise mode. So this way we can set our rosters for season mode without spring training messing them up them up.

# 177 Sco291 @ 01/19/15 08:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbusch22
The ability to edit coaches' numbers. Editing names would be cool too but I MUST be able to change their number. Drives me mad when I sign some random coach and it turns out he's wearing the same number as my star player or a retired number.

Speaking of retired numbers, I know they've pre-programmed the real retired numbers, but I'd like to be able to retire more, for my team and others, as the franchise progresses. I know you can edit players' numbers and stuff but still. If I'm playing against the Yankees next year and some guy comes up wearing #2 (because it's not officially retired by the team yet) that hurts the immersion.

If they could pre-program World Series banners or something that would be great too. Like the Giants have banners for their World Series-winning years on the outfield wall. They'll add a 2014 one next year. If I'm playing as the Giants and win it again in 2016, I want another one added, etc. Basically just copy the designs of whatever the team does to acknowledge its World Series wins and set it so more get added to the stadium the next year if they win. As it is now if you win the World Series the next year will start and it's like nothing happened.
This.

All. Of. This.

Please.... it's 2015, give us control of OUR franchise!

# 178 Madden's Jowels @ 01/19/15 02:09 PM
I'd like there to be a "Bat Speed" rating. I feel like the bat speed in the game is already too slow, but being able to differentiate so that not every player swings the bat with the exact same velocity, and have faster bat speed mean you can turn on inside pitches better, react to the elite fastballs better, etc would go a long way to differentiate hitters.

# 179 Flaxseed Oil @ 01/19/15 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madden's Jowels
I'd like there to be a "Bat Speed" rating. I feel like the bat speed in the game is already too slow, but being able to differentiate so that not every player swings the bat with the exact same velocity, and have faster bat speed mean you can turn on inside pitches better, react to the elite fastballs better, etc would go a long way to differentiate hitters.
That's an awesome idea.

# 180 mikeq672 @ 01/19/15 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnixen
In my opinion Spring training mode should be removed from "season mode" and should only be available for Franchise mode. So this way we can set our rosters for season mode without spring training messing them up them up.
Or they should just fix it so it doesnt screw up rosters if you already have them set correctly, because it happens in franchise mode too.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.