Home
NHL 15 News Post

Electronic Arts recently emailed select NHL 15 owners a survey that asks for feedback on this year's game and attempts to judge fans' interest in a few potential features for NHL 16.

Forum user NJDEVIL30274 posted a cell phone screen capture of the survey on Electronic Arts' official forums, showing some of the new features that the company is considering:

GM Connected, the 180-player online franchise mode that debuted in NHL 13 and was dropped from the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One editions of NHL 15, is disappointingly absent from this list. Though given EA's statements on the mode's metrics during a public Q&A that was conducted back in August, its absence is perhaps expected.

It's no surprise, either, to see Ultimate Team receiving so much attention, since EA continues to tout it as the series' most-played mode. Recent earnings reports have placed Hockey Ultimate Team's year-over-year digital revenue gains at 50% and 113% for the first two fiscal quarters of 2015.

The return of the EA Sports Hockey League (which also brings in digital revenue via paid attribute boosts) seems inevitable, and will likely win back some fans who skipped NHL 15. Rebuilding old modes from past titles, however, may not be enough to reverse the franchise's negative momentum in North America, where retail sales have decreased every season since NHL 11.

Surely EA will have some bigger surprises to share with its fanbase by the time E3 arrives next June.

Game: NHL 15Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 16 - View All
NHL 15 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 ven0m43 @ 11/29/14 11:22 PM
The only mode that I play or care about in sports games are Owner/GM mode. I like taking a team/franchise and playing multiple seasons with that team, while making changes via trades and free agency. I like to adjust my sliders to make the stats and scores to be realistic.

My suggestion would be to improve the game play and not worry about adding new game modes that will be replaced in a year or two.The AI, Penalties and the fore checking need the most attention.

# 22 TNKNGM @ 11/30/14 12:30 AM
For the love of god.....FOCUS ON NHL HOCKEY!!!! (THAT'S THE NAME OF THE FLIPPING GAME)

Exhibition
Season
Franchise
If you want to add an international mode...... fine, that would be great.....even coach mode would be fine

Give those modes with online and offline capability and people will be happy!!!

If we want to race zambonis we can buy one of the countless driving game.....AGAIN, FOCUS ON FLIPPING HOCKEY!!!!

Allow us to edit players........just take a look at MLB The Show and the way those devs work with the community and focus on the sport and the realism.....your focus should be on nothing other than improving the on ice product and realism.....STOP WITH THE GIMMICKS

Allow us to edit players, equipment, etc.

JUST FOCUS ON HOCKEY!!!!!!!!

It's so simple......why do they make it so difficult.....90% of your customer base buys the game to play hockey and do things like franchises

# 23 bwiggy33 @ 11/30/14 12:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
I don't care what modes are in NHL 16 as long as BeaGM is back and enhanced. So much more needs to be done to immerse us into BeaGM.
EA claims how BeAGM is the least played mode, and what you typed is one of the reasons why it's the least played mode. There is nothing immersive or fun about it so people don't want to play it. Then when you couple that with the very stale offline gameplay (I know some of you do enjoy it) it makes things that much worse. Seriously thinking about it, I don't remember the last NHL game where they actually improved something from that game mode. EA won't admit that though so instead they will just say people don't care about it so there's no point in upgrading it. It just seems they never weigh all of the factors. They always have some sort of workaround response to make things seem like their efforts don't affect the why people play certain game modes more than others.

# 24 Step2001 @ 11/30/14 03:48 AM
EA pushes their Ultimate Team in all their games. Their Football title, after polls taken, has shown more people playing Offline Franchise mode, yet they still focus on Ultimate Team. Heck they even have Cam Newton telling you to try one of two popular modes #1 Ultimate Team or #2 Franchise - smh Not listening to what the fan base is telling them, nor what their data states.
As for NHL, they dump Franchise/GM-Owner Mode, then they'll see the sales of their game fall even further down the charts. Hockey has always had a loyal fan base. The EA Hockey series has been one of the bright spots in EA Sports line-up. Always pushing the envelope and adding new things to Franchise mode until the end on Last-Gen.
Priorities!!!!

# 25 mlbtheshowfan7 @ 11/30/14 10:17 AM
All I know is that BeAGM isn't back next year, I'm done with this series, a mode like that is the most important part of a sports simulation game for me.

# 26 GlennN @ 11/30/14 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by T5063
Where the heck is GM/coach mode??

I want to be able to build a team by drafting and trading players but i have zero interest in setting the ****** popcorn prices at the arena. Also, the threat of being fired or offered a job with another team is not possible in ownwr mode.
Agree completely. BeAGM has gotten stale since NHL 10. That is the only mode I play and the reason I finally stopped buying the newest version. NHL 15, from the reviews, still makes no meaningful changes to that mode. This does not bode well for NHL 16 either. Sadly, sports videogames are as lacking as they have been since Atari days, some 30 years ago. One football game, one hockey game (stale year after year), one baseball game (if even that). I have never been so disappoint in the videogame industry.

# 27 scottyp180 @ 11/30/14 02:23 PM
I don't mind the idea of the arcade like modes, zamboni racing sounds fun, but they need to focus on core, sim modes and features first and foremost before offering modes just for fun. The complaints for nhl 15 were due to the lack of modes that have been traditionally offered, not a lack of arcadey, non-essential modes.

# 28 spidertour02 @ 11/30/14 02:35 PM
You guys seem to be confusing GM Connected (the mode that EA says was the least-played) with offline Be A GM.

# 29 actionhank @ 11/30/14 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Pressure
The AI is such trash in this game, goalies are simply the same robot in different color jerseys, maybe you should focus on key aspects like that instead of trying to figure out what lame game modes your casual fan base wants to play.

Of course, none of this will happen because EA refuses to pay attention to detail when they can just cash in on casual fans.
Don't worry, you won't even be thinking of the AI whenever you see how realistic their on-ice physics are for their Zamboni's.

I realize now that blaming Rammer was out of place. He's just stuck trying to keep his job working for a company that has so completely lost touch with their fan base. EA can't seem to see past sales figures and play time. I've got a feeling EA is going to all but guarantee NHL14 was the last game i bought in the series, and NHL12 was the last one that i truly enjoyed played. Hats off, EA. You're terrible.

# 30 H to the Oza @ 11/30/14 02:57 PM
EA has their priorities straight... What a joke. Zamboni Racing? 3 on 3 big head mode? These are purely gimmicks. Have fun isolating your fanbase EA

# 31 threattonature @ 11/30/14 08:04 PM
It's always fun to me when a company leaves a GM mode stale or buggy as can be, and will then come out and say how that mode is the least played. Well if they devoted time to make it a mode worth playing or didn't completely ignore it maybe more people would play it.

# 32 MizzouRah @ 11/30/14 08:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiggy33
EA claims how BeAGM is the least played mode, and what you typed is one of the reasons why it's the least played mode. There is nothing immersive or fun about it so people don't want to play it. Then when you couple that with the very stale offline gameplay (I know some of you do enjoy it) it makes things that much worse. Seriously thinking about it, I don't remember the last NHL game where they actually improved something from that game mode. EA won't admit that though so instead they will just say people don't care about it so there's no point in upgrading it. It just seems they never weigh all of the factors. They always have some sort of workaround response to make things seem like their efforts don't affect the why people play certain game modes more than others.
Well said.. they need to play NBA 2k to see what a GM mode is like. I don't even follow pro basketball, but 2k knows how to make an immersive GM mode.

# 33 canucksss @ 11/30/14 09:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
I don't care what modes are in NHL 16 as long as BeaGM is back and enhanced. So much more needs to be done to immerse us into BeaGM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNKNGM
For the love of god.....FOCUS ON NHL HOCKEY!!!! (THAT'S THE NAME OF THE FLIPPING GAME)

Exhibition
Season
Franchise
If you want to add an international mode...... fine, that would be great.....even coach mode would be fine

Give those modes with online and offline capability and people will be happy!!!

If we want to race zambonis we can buy one of the countless driving game.....AGAIN, FOCUS ON FLIPPING HOCKEY!!!!

Allow us to edit players........just take a look at MLB The Show and the way those devs work with the community and focus on the sport and the realism.....your focus should be on nothing other than improving the on ice product and realism.....STOP WITH THE GIMMICKS

Allow us to edit players, equipment, etc.

JUST FOCUS ON HOCKEY!!!!!!!!

It's so simple......why do they make it so difficult.....90% of your customer base buys the game to play hockey and do things like franchises
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiggy33
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Pressure
The AI is such trash in this game, goalies are simply the same robot in different color jerseys, maybe you should focus on key aspects like that instead of trying to figure out what lame game modes your casual fan base wants to play.

Of course, none of this will happen because EA refuses to pay attention to detail when they can just cash in on casual fans.
STANDING OVATION TO THESE STATEMENTS!!!!!

I just hope that EA is paying attention to these points.

# 34 drog1602 @ 11/30/14 09:43 PM
Well, it looks like EA has listened to all the negative criticism/ comments this year...NOT!!!! I can't wait for Rammer to say that Zamboni races was the most requested feature.

What is wrong with these guys?

# 35 balljonesjr @ 11/30/14 11:22 PM
NHL fans sorry but i have to add this ... why cant they do this for madden?

# 36 kehlis @ 11/30/14 11:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by balljonesjr
NHL fans sorry but i have to add this ... why cant they do this for madden?
Do what? Lawnmower races?

# 37 HenryClay1844 @ 12/01/14 12:06 AM
If they had licensed international teams and proper create a team features I'd be interested. But I am not holding my breath. They should also bring in about 5 sets of commentators because what I saw this year and the last time I had NHL was awful. Those intros about it being an "interesting sport" were as bad as Karos and Lyons in the Show.

# 38 clarkerots @ 12/01/14 09:08 AM
Well, looks like I'll be getting a few more years out of my NHL13.

# 39 SVCbearcat10 @ 12/01/14 12:39 PM
It's funny how EA is getting ripped for asking for the fans feedback. Yes, some of the items seem dumb, but at least they are asking before implementing! Also, they selected a committee of fans to help with EASHL. We should be applauding them right now for making an effort.

# 40 drog1602 @ 12/01/14 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVCbearcat10
It's funny how EA is getting ripped for asking for the fans feedback. Yes, some of the items seem dumb, but at least they are asking before implementing! Also, they selected a committee of fans to help with EASHL. We should be applauding them right now for making an effort.
Applaud them? How about they take the feedback that has already been given and quite loudly I might add. Bring back the missing game modes, fix the ones they left in and work on the AI. Why spend time on foolish gimmicks when the core of the game is a mess?

I will not applaud them until we see results.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.