04:49 PM - December 15, 2014 by MMChrisS
One of the most surprising games of the year is easily Super Mega Baseball. With some deceptively deep on-field gameplay, Super Mega Baseball has won over a few of our hearts since starting to play it over the last few days.
If you are planning on picking up the title, be sure to read our review first and then check out these tips to get you started:
- Pick an ego that works for you. I have played everything from the low egos (15 or so to start) up to 99. They progressively get harder, and honestly every game should do difficulty like this. It just makes sense.
- As you play on higher and higher egos, you will need to learn to work the count as a batter and wait on a good pitch. The lower difficulty levels you aren't as penalized if you 'miss' on your targeting while swinging, but get up past 50 and things really begin to get tough, especially for players who aren't as good at contact hitting.
- Pitch to the outside of the strike zone, just as in real life. Leaving pitches over the heart of the plate is going to result in you giving up runs.
- In the same way, getting a good feel for the pitching meter/motion is essential. Missing over the heart of the plate is truly a bad idea, and sometimes the meter is going to want to push you there. You have to develop quick reflexes in order to ensure your pitches end up on point.
- Mix your pitches up. This is obvious baseball 101 but those principles do work in the game. Throwing straight fastballs won't work, and throwing straight junk won't work. With so many pitches in your arsenal, you shouldn't ever have a problem mixing your approach up.
- I have found the power swing mechanic isn't something I used much at all. If you focus on getting great contact, you'll see similar results on the lower difficulty levels. Once you move up though, the power mechanic has more of an impact.
- Pitching wise, there is a power pitching mechanic, but I am honestly not using it and not giving up a lot of runs. My mileage seems to vary with others though.
Be sure to let us know some of your tips when you get a chance to play the game!!