Home
Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR News Post

Lost in the midst of a blow-out quarter for EA is the fact that EA Sports PGA Tour is now no longer listed as a FY 2015 title. In previous forward guidance, EA Sports PGA Tour was listed as a Q4 release, which would imply a release before March -- in today's guidance, PGA Tour was removed.

Retailers have been showing PGA Tour as a June release for some time now, so it's interesting why the game was listed as a release for this current quarter. A small delay like this, if you can even call it that, wouldn't be surprising and is probably a good thing for the title in the end. EA has sent out promotional material to stores like Gamestop with a 'Spring 2014' release -- so there's no reason to not expect the title in the Spring.

We'll be keeping an eye on things to see if there's any hint on EA Sports PGA Tour's status.

Game: Rory McIlroy PGA TOURReader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 12 - View All
Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR Videos
Member Comments
# 1 BA2929 @ 01/27/15 07:11 PM
I always thought it was supposed to be released between April and June of 2015.

The fact that they've shown basically nothing of this game for 6 months makes it pretty clear they've never really planned on releasing it before April. At least imo.

# 2 BigAC88 @ 01/27/15 11:11 PM
It's been in Gamestop's system to reserve for a little over a month now with a placeholder date of June (I wanna say, but not positive of the date) 2nd, but definitely sometime in June. Just haven't double checked my system there in the last week or so.

# 3 jbd345 @ 01/28/15 12:20 PM
Wondering with the success with the golf club. They maybe adding some kind of course designer to compete. Wishful thinking I know. But just something to keep in mind. Also could June 30th just be a place holder because no official release date as been announced? That is almost the end of spring. I'm still hopeful for an April release right before the masters would make the most sense. I mean look how little to no info we got on NHL three months before it's release.

# 4 Eyeman79 @ 01/28/15 12:21 PM
I think they took a good look at The Golf Club and decided that the competition is greater than it was when the game was originally announced. No big deal for me because TGC keeps getting better with every update.

# 5 mvb34 @ 01/28/15 12:58 PM
Maybe EA is filling a void from NCAA football!?!!?

# 6 knob1701 @ 01/28/15 06:00 PM
I may not even bother with this unless they really do something great with it. Very satisfied with TGC and the unlimited amount of courses. Might pick up HSG for the PS4 though just because it's fun to play.

# 7 Golfsprince @ 02/04/15 12:52 PM
I was told by an EA Sports rep via email (Not mentioning names) not to believe the placeholder dates.

At this point however, there's no doubt it'll probably be a June release.

I tried contacting this EA rep again for more questions and there was no response.

So, I guess we'll see.

I too am happy with TGC but I really like the "Golf Without Limits" style that EA is shooting for.

Makes things more fun for the casual golf gamer plus I'm really curious to see the courses.

They're going back to their roots that made the game popular in the first place. The crazy, wacky golf game that we knew from the past.

But since it was the only golf game on the market, the traditionalists had no simulation type games so EA decided to go with the more calm, boring style which unfortunately wrecked the game not to mention the bugs from TW14.

But now, since TGC is out and Perfect Golf is out in Early Access, EA doesn't have to do the simulation thing anymore. I think they were meant to do the arcade style because when they tried to please fans by trying to go simulation style, the game just became flat out brutal although I still played them but I'm talking about to the masses.

As the old saying goes, "If it ain't broken, don't fix it". Only reason why they changed things up is because it was the only real golf game on the market.

Now we have 2 great simulation golf games that came out so EA can freely go back to their signature arcade style that made the game fun and I think it's great.

# 8 grahamc @ 02/04/15 02:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfsprince
I was told by an EA Sports rep via email (Not mentioning names) not to believe the placeholder dates.

At this point however, there's no doubt it'll probably be a June release.

I tried contacting this EA rep again for more questions and there was no response.

So, I guess we'll see.

I too am happy with TGC but I really like the "Golf Without Limits" style that EA is shooting for.

Makes things more fun for the casual golf gamer plus I'm really curious to see the courses.

They're going back to their roots that made the game popular in the first place. The crazy, wacky golf game that we knew from the past.

But since it was the only golf game on the market, the traditionalists had no simulation type games so EA decided to go with the more calm, boring style which unfortunately wrecked the game not to mention the bugs from TW14.

But now, since TGC is out and Perfect Golf is out in Early Access, EA doesn't have to do the simulation thing anymore. I think they were meant to do the arcade style because when they tried to please fans by trying to go simulation style, the game just became flat out brutal although I still played them but I'm talking about to the masses.

As the old saying goes, "If it ain't broken, don't fix it". Only reason why they changed things up is because it was the only real golf game on the market.

Now we have 2 great simulation golf games that came out so EA can freely go back to their signature arcade style that made the game fun and I think it's great.
This is exactly what I hope they don't do - as the name implies, it's the official game of the PGA Tour, and should be as close to actual golf as they can make it. They wouldn't put arcade tricks or fantasy fields in Madden or FIFA, would they?

The fact that there are two other sim games available shouldn't mean there isn't room for another - I have no interest in Fantasy courses or wacky characters or trick shots - that's why there's a market for Hot Shots Golf, etc.

# 9 cherman24 @ 02/07/15 02:52 PM
Should they call it pga blitz or pga jam?

# 10 CaseIH @ 03/05/15 12:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamc
This is exactly what I hope they don't do - as the name implies, it's the official game of the PGA Tour, and should be as close to actual golf as they can make it. They wouldn't put arcade tricks or fantasy fields in Madden or FIFA, would they?

The fact that there are two other sim games available shouldn't mean there isn't room for another - I have no interest in Fantasy courses or wacky characters or trick shots - that's why there's a market for Hot Shots Golf, etc.

Same here for me as well, I want a golf game that replicates real life golf, and has a career mode, along with the real golfers in the game. Not some made up BS names, and arcade like courses.

When I bought my PS4 3 days ago, I seen the PGA tour was a June release, and I ask the guy at Gamestop if it was liscensed and had the real golfers in it and he said yeah, so I wouldn't think being a PGA trademark with Real Golfers that it would be arcade like with a bunch of fake and ignorant courses in it.

Personally I really enjoyed the last 2 golf games that EA made on the PS3, and had a lot of fun in my career mode. Im not a online gamer that plays others in those Country club things they had, I just stay strickly to my career mode.

I really hope EA is making a simulation golf game, cause I really want to get it, plus my wife is looking forward to playing it too. If it weren't for preordering MLBTS15 and buying NBA2k15 along with the PS4 Sunday we would have preordered the Golf game, cause were looking forward to spending time with each other playing it, that way we have some so called quality time she says together,lol, cause I spend a lot of time in my franchise modes with MLBTS,NBA2k, and when Madden is good there franchise mode. I only play sports games and nothing else, and actually looking forward to playing this Golf game for my career and playing it with my wife, so I will be sadly disappointed if they go the young kid route and make a arcade like game, I thought that's what that hot shot golf was for, don't need another arcade like golf game, we need a true simulation.

# 11 jbd345 @ 03/05/15 12:12 PM
The only reason why I think they delayed is it it might be a sign that Augusta won't be in the game, as they released it to coincide with the masters the last few years.

# 12 pietasterp @ 03/05/15 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfsprince

What the "Tiger Woods" series became was pretty far from the actual "roots" of the PGA Tour series. Back when it was a PC-game only, I actually owned several versions of the game, and they were unflinchingly sim golf games (competing with the likes of "Links" and "Jack Nicklaus Golf"). Even the PS1 versions of the game were sim golf games. It wasn't until the first "Tiger Woods" golf game came out that the series began morphing into the ridiculous NBA Jam style golf game that the series subsequently became. I mean, the low point was when "Hot Shots Golf" was actually a more realistic playing game of golf than the "Tiger Woods PGA Tour" series. If the new PGA Tour release goes back to silly-sports MTV Rock-n-jock land, I predict doom for the series...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamc

Couldn't have said it better myself. When the golf game market was arguably at its peak in the mid-to-late 1990's, there was Sierra's golf game, EA's PGA Tour game, Jack Nicklaus golf, and the venerable grand-daddy of them all "Links" all on the market and doing relatively well. Not a one of them had the ability to spin the ball after-the-shot or had the worst thing ever included in a golf game - varying length putters for various length putts. I still have no idea what kind of lack of standards led to that being the Tiger Woods series for YEARS....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseIH
Same here for me as well, I want a golf game that replicates real life golf, and has a career mode, along with the real golfers in the game. Not some made up BS names, and arcade like courses.
I feel like golf is the sport that can be futzed with the least and still make the most compelling video games. I mean, there's room for some arcade golf games for the casual set, but as the only licensed game of golf, for EA to do what they did to the game during the PS2-PS3 era is a total travesty IMO. As someone else mentioned, it would be like if NBA Jam were the only officially licensed basketball game on the market. Or if "Madden" were the only officially licensed - oh wait, nevermind.

# 13 goillini03 @ 03/09/15 10:32 AM
It would be great to hear more about this game. Hopefully, they will start sending out information soon.

# 14 CaseIH @ 03/10/15 09:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietasterp
What the "Tiger Woods" series became was pretty far from the actual "roots" of the PGA Tour series. Back when it was a PC-game only, I actually owned several versions of the game, and they were unflinchingly sim golf games (competing with the likes of "Links" and "Jack Nicklaus Golf"). Even the PS1 versions of the game were sim golf games. It wasn't until the first "Tiger Woods" golf game came out that the series began morphing into the ridiculous NBA Jam style golf game that the series subsequently became. I mean, the low point was when "Hot Shots Golf" was actually a more realistic playing game of golf than the "Tiger Woods PGA Tour" series. If the new PGA Tour release goes back to silly-sports MTV Rock-n-jock land, I predict doom for the series...

Couldn't have said it better myself. When the golf game market was arguably at its peak in the mid-to-late 1990's, there was Sierra's golf game, EA's PGA Tour game, Jack Nicklaus golf, and the venerable grand-daddy of them all "Links" all on the market and doing relatively well. Not a one of them had the ability to spin the ball after-the-shot or had the worst thing ever included in a golf game - varying length putters for various length putts. I still have no idea what kind of lack of standards led to that being the Tiger Woods series for YEARS....

I feel like golf is the sport that can be futzed with the least and still make the most compelling video games. I mean, there's room for some arcade golf games for the casual set, but as the only licensed game of golf, for EA to do what they did to the game during the PS2-PS3 era is a total travesty IMO. As someone else mentioned, it would be like if NBA Jam were the only officially licensed basketball game on the market. Or if "Madden" were the only officially licensed - oh wait, nevermind.

After looking at a short preview of this golf game, I have serious worries of how realistic its going to be. After seeing some stupid Call of Duty war ship burning and crashing into the golf course gives me serious doubt this will be a realistic golf game.
If its not realistic with the PGA license and real golfers in it I hope the PGA take away the license and gives it to someone who will make a realistic golf game.
I have health issues that don't allow me to be able to get out and actually play golf IRL, so a golf video game is all I got, and I will not play some arcade BS game, of golf or any other sport for that matter.

Really thought once we got into the new consoles, with what EA had done on the old consoles that we would be in for a real treat come new consoles with golf, but just like EA does with every other sports game they screw it up majorly, and it takes years for them ever to get it back right. Just look at NBA Live how that has been a pile a crap for years, along with Madden, last yr was the 1st time in a long time I had enjoyed a Madden game, actually the last time I had enjoyed Madden was on regular Xbox/PS2 system, pretty sad for a big time company like them to screw so much up.

# 15 pietasterp @ 03/11/15 07:45 PM
Quote:
After looking at a short preview of this golf game, I have serious worries of how realistic its going to be. After seeing some stupid Call of Duty war ship burning and crashing into the golf course gives me serious doubt this will be a realistic golf game.
Yeah, that looked....not promising. I think we can pretty much forget about a serious sim game at this point.

Quote:
If its not realistic with the PGA license and real golfers in it I hope the PGA take away the license and gives it to someone who will make a realistic golf game.
That will never happen. But luckily, golf is one of the few sports where an official license matters the least IMO. Don't get me wrong, the license only adds value when done right, but it's not the same as an unlicensed football or basketball game, which are pretty much DOA. Some of the all time greats like "Links" and "Jack Nicklaus" never had PGA licenses, and I never really noticed. At least there is some competition in the genre now, so there's somewhere else to get your sim golf fix. But it is disappointing that the only official PGA Tour game is looking pretty arcadey...

# 16 CaseIH @ 03/12/15 12:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietasterp
Yeah, that looked....not promising. I think we can pretty much forget about a serious sim game at this point.

That will never happen. But luckily, golf is one of the few sports where an official license matters the least IMO. Don't get me wrong, the license only adds value when done right, but it's not the same as an unlicensed football or basketball game, which are pretty much DOA. Some of the all time greats like "Links" and "Jack Nicklaus" never had PGA licenses, and I never really noticed. At least there is some competition in the genre now, so there's somewhere else to get your sim golf fix. But it is disappointing that the only official PGA Tour game is looking pretty arcadey...

While Im more of a basketball, baseball, and football guy, Id actually would be fine if there was a good unofficial license game of 1 of those sports, and if it played well I would play it a lot. But with Golf I just cant get into it if the real golfers are in the game, and I wont buy a golf game if it doesn't have the real golfers.

Really hope were wrong, and EA puts out a true simulation of golf. Im fine if they want to put in a arcade mode, as long as its not all arcade, and there is a true sim mode in the game, like it has been in the past. Nothing wrong with trying to broaden the scope of people who would buy the game.

Maybe Im in the minority but I really enjoyed the last 2 version of EA's golf game on my PS3, and those were also the 1st ones I had ever bought. Really hoped when they decided to bring back the Golf Franchise they would just build off of what they had done on the old consoles.

# 17 pietasterp @ 03/12/15 06:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymour Scagnetti
TW14 was a very good Sim game on the hardest mode and the best golf game EA ever made. Not sure where people are getting that its become arcadey. Actually has strayed from that in the last few versions. I think the fact there were so my bugs in the last game turned people off.
I agree the latter half of last-gen the games got better, but I think the best golf game EA ever made was the last "PGA Tour" (pre-"Tiger Woods") released on the PC. I played the &*(#!! out of that game. Then the first "Tiger Woods" game on PC was okay, but there was this thing where if you hit it perfectly, lightning would strike Tiger and the shot would be extra-good (or some such bonus) - aka arcade elements....then in subsequent years you could spin the ball after the shot, they went to the "ball follow cam" as the exclusive camera, the putting was a joke, they had those "zoom-in heartbeat" moments when you hit a good shot, etc. Long, slow decline IMO (although they started to get better by last gen's end, as mentioned).

Quote:
That initial trailer wasn't the best to use to attract sim guys but I don't think it will be pure arcade. They will have enough to attract both sides of the fence. As long as they don't go bare bones with this release, which happens often with initial next gen releases, then this game should be pretty good. The bugs should be gone since they are using a new graphics engine. With 2 years of preparation and next gen graphics, they should at the very least be ramping up the presentation, career mode and commentary to get some immersion in this game which has been sorely lacking. And if there is no Augusta in this game, they need a selling point somewhere else.

If they give us a game that has that "oh just be happy you have shiny new next gen graphics" feel to it and not much else then this may be the last edition.
My experience is never buy year 1 of a new-gen EA game. I still want my money back for "NCAA 07" for X360....(!) There's always hope, though.

# 18 CaseIH @ 03/13/15 09:23 PM
Quote:
TW14 was a very good Sim game on the hardest mode and the best golf game EA ever made. Not sure where people are getting that its become arcadey. Actually has strayed from that in the last few versions. I think the fact there were so my bugs in the last game turned people off.

That initial trailer wasn't the best to use to attract sim guys but I don't think it will be pure arcade. They will have enough to attract both sides of the fence. As long as they don't go bare bones with this release, which happens often with initial next gen releases, then this game should be pretty good. The bugs should be gone since they are using a new graphics engine. With 2 years of preparation and next gen graphics, they should at the very least be ramping up the presentation, career mode and commentary to get some immersion in this game which has been sorely lacking. And if there is no Augusta in this game, they need a selling point somewhere else.

If they give us a game that has that "oh just be happy you have shiny new next gen graphics" feel to it and not much else then this may be the last edition.

I agree, that wasn't a very good 1st vid to show off the game, to the diehard golf gamers out there. After seeing that I wont be buying day 1, and I had planned on reserving my copy when I went to pick up MLBTS15, but after seeing that it does have me concerned somewhat that it may be more arcade than sim.

I know with that 1st game on a console sometimes, they are somewhat bare bones, but you would think as long as they have had to make it for the new consoles, that they would be putting out a great game, but it is EA, and any of us that have bought there football and basketball games over the years knows they are pretty good at screwing things up, along with having trouble always being honest.

I hope they surprise me and its a improved version of the last Golf game on the old consoles.

# 19 jbd345 @ 03/14/15 04:06 PM
Yea they also did a throwback Thursday and a flashback Friday, after months of nothing. Getting closer. Probably will be nothing more than a 60 second video and a blog but it's enough to get me excited. I love the golf club but it'll be nice to play real courses and pga players.

# 20 Nature_Boy @ 03/15/15 02:24 PM
This was just posted on the EA SPORTS PGA TOUR Facebook page. It shows the cover of PGA Tour 96 along with this message.

One more throwback before tomorrow afternoon's tee time...You don't want to miss it... ?#?NextGenGolf?

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.