Home
MLB 15 The Show News Post

The MLB 15 The Show gameplay stream is starting in a few minutes. You can click the "Spoiler Show" button below to watch it here at OS, or open a new browser and watch it. For those of you that miss out, we'll update this post with the archive when it is available on Twitch.

Some bullet points (Thanks jyoung!)

Graphics
  • Dynamic shadows in each stadium that will change over the course of the season
  • Colors will also change based on the amount of sun exposure
  • Grass and dirt colors are more accurate for each stadium
  • There are way more skin tones (they used to only have 13), which means you'll get much more realistic skin on dark-toned players
Gameplay
  • Directional hitting lets you influence where the ball will go, even in "timing only" mode
  • Dynamic pitch breaks make each pitch type easier to recognize and closer to how the ball acts in real life
  • Quick counts will start you in the middle of an at-bat more frequently. Pitchers will always start on a 1-1 count
  • Manual cutoffs are triggered by the L1 button and will help keep singles with a runner in scoring position from turning into cheap doubles
  • Outfielders have more curved, indirect routes, and will no longer just take straight paths to the ball. This should help reduce the number of undeserved doubles and triples
  • Infielders will follow the ball better and cover bases more realistically
  • There were no changes to umpires
  • The new MLB challenge system is in place for close plays at bases
  • Lots of new catching, tagging, and throwing animations were captured; they are unique to each base
  • Baserunners will slow up now and dynamically change their run speed based on where the ball is hit
  • There is more of a separation this year between fast and and slow runners
  • Expect less warping and no more sudden, unrealistic speed boosts in all fielding animations
  • You can use analog swings with timing hitting now
  • Meter pitching is more sensitive and has more risk/reward. Missing your mark has more of a penalty, hitting your mark has more of a benefit
  • Fielding and throwing sliders are now separated into different slider categories for infield/outfield
Next week: There will be a video blog for licensed equipment and the universal rewards system.
In the future: More twitch broadcasts are coming. A "presentation" stream will be next.

UPDATE: If you missed the stream, you can watch the archive here or click the "Spoiler Show" button below.

As gameplay is being shown, let us know what you think!

Game: MLB 15 The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 31 - View All
MLB 15 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 321 redsox4evur @ 02/09/15 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmydm90
Is that an MLB restriction or just something they haven't implemented?

If it's MLB I wonder if totally fictional teams would be allowed to be in the league and move around. Like a more story based franchise mode. You start as a poor expansion team (limited resources, low quality facilities, meh stadium) then you move your way up by accomplishing goals (acquire or develop an allstar, develop a franchise player, win the division, win the World Series, campaign and win the rights to hold the allstar game, etc). All the way up to being a dynasty.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was an MLB restriction, which I think it is. Because for some odd reason, which is unknown to me, the MLB did not want players to have their real contracts in the Show.

# 322 redsox4evur @ 02/09/15 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffensiveIndifferenc
That sucks. Any particular reasoning why? I can't see the MLB halting a game mode with fantasy cities and teams.

Looks like The Show series will continue to be the only major sport I don't buy every year, but every other year. Hope they institute something like this for '16 then
We had this discussion before. I was in the exact same boat as you. And the conclusion reached was that the MLB doesn't want their brand image hurt. You can read the debate here.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...se-mode-3.html

# 323 OffensiveIndifferenc @ 02/09/15 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox4evur
We had this discussion before. I was in the exact same boat as you. And the conclusion reached was that the MLB doesn't want their brand image hurt. You can read the debate here.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...se-mode-3.html
OK cool, thanks for this... hey who knows, maybe we can get something like this soon. I can only imagine it as a natural evolution of a product that is already seeming stale in just it's second installment into the ps4 lifeline

# 324 redsox4evur @ 02/09/15 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffensiveIndifferenc
OK cool, thanks for this... hey who knows, maybe we can get something like this soon. I can only imagine it as a natural evolution of a product that is already seeming stale in just it's second installment into the ps4 lifeline
Read the whole thread because it doesn't seem like we will see anything like that for A LONG TIME!!!

# 325 OffensiveIndifferenc @ 02/09/15 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox4evur
Read the whole thread because it doesn't seem like we will see anything like that for A LONG TIME!!!
Yep, just did and replied to it. I'm not new to the site, but I'm new to the board and I had to register once I saw some of the talk for this year's game. I literally bought a ps3 just to play The Show in 2010 or so. I was shocked they didn't have a mode like this then but the game was the best baseball game I've played so it wasn't going to ruin the whole spectacle of it. But after four or five years now it's hard to get excited. Especially on the newer console... which is a mammoth bummer because there's nothing better than getting a new sports game on day one. I don't mind improvements to gameplay/lighting/etc when everything else is perfect... but when other aspects are yawning for implementation, or even just an upgrade [commentary and presentation], it's hard to toss $60 at it

# 326 MetsFan16 @ 02/09/15 08:17 PM
When can expect the next stream?

# 327 Jimmydm90 @ 02/09/15 08:20 PM
I've heard it mentioned before that the MLB wouldn't approve (and I know Russell, Ramone has liked comments containing that sentiment) but I've never understood why.

You can make a video game as realistic as you want but at the end of the day it's still fantasy. (As much as I'd like the real Buster Posey to hit 65 home runs in a season). I get not wanting player brawls or performance enhancing drugs but I don't think made up expansion teams reflect negatively on the MLB or are all that different from having diamond dynasty in the game.

With real team relocation, if you had to, you could limit it to a new stadium in the same city/state so nobody's feelings get hurt. That way you won't get NY and Boston fans complaining about the Chattanooga Yankees or the Cheboygan Red Sox (Though both of those would be awesome). Mostly I want create a stadium in the game. Though I do love pricing me some hot dogs.

Fingers crossed for Ballpark Tycoon some day.

# 328 Cowboy008 @ 02/09/15 08:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetsFan16
When can expect the next stream?
The next stream is on Thursday 2PM PST 5PM EST

# 329 OffensiveIndifferenc @ 02/09/15 11:35 PM
And whatever happened to the option to argue calls? That was aces

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.